• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos A Question For The People Who Need Benzos

brokedownpalace10

Bluelighter
Some people need benzos. Their anxiety is such that something is needed for quality of life. This thread isn't to discuss why you are one of those people. Just like a person who need opioids because their pain is so bad, that is a call that is difficult to make. It also has differences of degree.

My ladyfriend's anxiety is so bad that she really needs something to help. She just got a benzo prior to dental work and she was so much happier. She is in her 60's like me and will retire in less than a year, so I would not even see the problem with her being addicted. Her responsibilities, including a job, are nearly met.

No matter, she ain't a gettin' any in this world as it stands.

So, I gots a question.

What else could she get from a doc to help? She tried Prozac years ago and had a bad reaction. She's on buspirone now, and it doesn't help.
I understand clean living and mental tricks. She sees a shrink now.
I'm wondering what drug might help. One they haven't hooked a bunch of people on and had to pull back severely yet.

As with so many women, she could probably talk her doc into helping.
(Women say that mechanics treat men better. However, men can't get good drugs from a doc and can't return a shirt for a refund after wearing it to a party.)

Hydroxyzine (Atarax, Vistaril) is a non-addictive substitute for benzos when it comes to relieving anxiety symptoms; I've been on it before, and it works fairly well for what it's worth. It's technically an antihistamine but is also used to treat anxiety. It's also non-narcotic, so obtaining a prescription for it probably shouldn't too much of a challenge.

Also, how long have you been on Buspirone? Because that stuff generally takes anywhere from 2-4 weeks to become fully effective. It's not going to provide immediate anxiolytic effects like a fast-acting benzo would.

She's been on Buspirone for years, just had the dosage increased a couple months ago. That worked for a week maybe. I think I have a couple Hydroxyzines somewhere, so I can try that. Thanks a lot for the answer.

I'm open to more ideas as well if anyone has any. I feel for her, she actually has severe panic attacks and hyperventilates at times.

Clonidine 0.1mg tablets are a godsend ….and can go head to head with most benzos as an anxiolytic. It lowers BP & HR and reduces NE norepinephrine in the CNS (bodies fight or flight response)

Clonidine is a VERY potent anxiolytic and mild sedative

If I gave someone with a panic attach a Clonidine tablet but told them it was a Valium they wouldn’t question it, especially in 20-30min when their anxiety just melted away and were calm and content

Amazing medication ….can get at any walk-in clinic as it’s not a controlled substance.

There are also some natural alternatives you can use, such as 5-HTP or GABA. I’ve had some 5-HTP gummies and chewable GABA tablets before, and they do work fairly well at taking the “edge” off.

i find it works ok in gen along with a tad of benzo
200mg though? of the 5 htp?
is that too much at once?
maybe once a weak on 5 htp seems be ok so far
been about a month helps save the bzd as well
idk done startin babblin
next

Hydroxyzine (Atarax, Vistaril) is a non-addictive substitute for benzos when it comes to relieving anxiety symptoms; I've been on it before, and it works fairly well for what it's worth. It's technically an antihistamine but is also used to treat anxiety. It's also non-narcotic, so obtaining a prescription for it probably shouldn't too much of a challenge.

Also, how long have you been on Buspirone? Because that stuff generally takes anywhere from 2-4 weeks to become fully effective. It's not going to provide immediate anxiolytic effects like a fast-acting benzo would.
It's also an antihistamine that makes you extremely sleepy and if you don't need it for the allergies you may not have, can give you icky side effects. And don't get my started on buspirone; absolutely useless even at the highest dose prescribed which is 60mg.

It's also an antihistamine that makes you extremely sleepy and if you don't need it for the allergies you may not have, can give you icky side effects. And don't get my started on buspirone; absolutely useless even at the highest dose prescribed which is 60mg.
These "remedies" are more harmful than healthful, imo/e.
Ive tried both.
Also; the healing comes to equate in dosage somehow.
I dont know where ya at in all this but trying.
Whats the end game from your perspective: What do you want to accomplish?
love always,
p

I'll echo dextro's suggestion for clonidine... it is a blood pressure medication that is very easy to get prescribed. I actually got it prescribed for nighttime anxiety (I told them that, it's really for nighttime sleeping due to frequent withdrawal issues). It substantially calms down the peripheral nervous system, so it calms the physical symptoms of anxiety, but since it makes you feel less anxious, it works pretty well for the mental aspect, too. It's not going to work as well as a benzo, but it isn't addictive and is barely controlled.

It can actually cause rebound anxiety if you abruptly discontinue it after daily use, but it can be tapered easily and has no degree of mental addiction whatsoever, and has no effect on GABA receptors.

It can cause rebound hypertension if taken daily for a month + …..which can cause you to faint if sitting and standing up too quickly. So you must gradually reduce your usage to minimize rebound hypertension s

Taking it here and then is free from this ….a tablet before bed 3 times a week, taking breaks here and there

I’ve been taking it on and off for 10 years plus. Perfectly safe.

First time was for long term opioid usage / withdrawal…..and I experienced rebound hypertension due to taking daily Clonidine for 3-4 weeks. After that, I use as an anxiolytic and sleep aid. Amazing mediation for anxiety & insomnia

and one against.man if i could break the properties of benzo structure... isolate the br as theres seems to have to bound to a bezon structure.
i can deal with anxieties i just need the other side effects of muscle relaxation and shit with the mild pain effects. cant take enough for anxieties (like alprazolam) so maybe.....
idk
maybe studies need to be re examined by peers and the new generation(s).
a lof of duties imo
got they back?
lol

Thanks very much for all the answers. I must admit that a listing of drugs not actually specific for anxiety... but that will work, is disheartening but not at all surprising.
It will take me some time to try some things with her as she is not quite the drug interested individual I am. One of her mottos is "Better living through chemistry." but she is more the "mother's little helper" type than anything. Still, this will be a process with me being the clinician. :)

I think I can get a Clonidine or so through the housewives network of "chill pills". Her daughter is prescribed it for sleep if I'm not mistaken. Funny thing is that she (the daughter) just bemoaned how they don't prescribe the "real chill pills like Zanax" anymore just recently. Still, whatever works. Having a tool for the panic attacks available at all times would be handy as f*ck.

Also never thought of 5HTP or GABA. 5HTP might be good for a daily thing. I've taken GABA in huge doses years ago with no noticeable effects. Is it better if you're not chasing a buzz? ;)

DrugItem_7209.PNG

Some people need benzos. Their anxiety is such that something is needed for quality of life. This thread isn't to discuss why you are one of those people. Just like a person who need opioids because their pain is so bad, that is a call that is difficult to make. It also has differences of degree.

My ladyfriend's anxiety is so bad that she really needs something to help. She just got a benzo prior to dental work and she was so much happier. She is in her 60's like me and will retire in less than a year, so I would not even see the problem with her being addicted. Her responsibilities, including a job, are nearly met.

So, I gots a question.

What else could she get from a doc to help? She tried Prozac years ago and had a bad reaction. She's on buspirone now, and it doesn't help.
I'm wondering what drug might help. One they haven't hooked a bunch of people on and had to pull back severely yet.

(Women say that mechanics treat men better. However, men can't get good drugs from a doc and can't return a shirt for a refund after wearing it to a party.)

So, I gots a question.

I tried almost every med possible for depression for 20 yrs. Buspirone had no effect on me what so ever. Effexor is an old school med and it isn't on most doctor's lists anymore but it is the one medicine that seemed to help. Almost anything didn't did not bother me after taking it. I took it for 4 yrs. until I was able to start getting my life back together and cope with the world. The only complaint was it made me a little tired but that was ok since I was on disability and didn't have to work. After awhile I slowly was wean off of it and returned to working again. Not gonna say that the depression comes and goes but never like it did before. I have PTSD and at the time It was full blown. The trauma lessoned with the passing of time and I am capable of a "normal" ( at least in society eyes) person with a job.
Effexor seemed to work for me and I am a woman in my 50's.

I tried almost every med possible for depression for 20 yrs. Buspirone had no effect on me what do ever. Effexor is an old school med and it isn't on most doctor's lists anymore but it is the one medicine that seemed to help. Almost anything didn't did not bother me after taking it. I took it for 4 yrs. until I was able to start getting my life back together and cope with the world. The only complaint was it made me a little tired but that was ok since I was on disability and didn't have to work. After awhile I slowly was wean off of it and returned to working again. Not gonna say that the depression comes and goes but never like it did before. I have PTSD and at the time It was full blown. The trauma lessoned with the passing of time and I am capable of a "normal" ( at least in society eyes) person with a job.
Effexor seemed to work for me and I am a woman in my 50's.
Hey, thanks!
Thing is, I feel my lady has anxiety and not depression. It's pretty classic, nervousness, her speech patterns are a bit choppy, yadda.

I have (had) PTSD from a bad job. I excelled, as I did, but had a pretty powerful muck a muck trying to fire me for my last 5-6 years. He tried to build his case and I constantly disproved it. It was during the Great Recession.
It was prolly mild PTSD, there are degrees of PTSD. Still, it took me a year or so to (mostly) recover once it was over. (I won)
Most people think PTSD is a mental thing. It is, but a large part of it is your body (and mind) adapting to being constantly alert for threats and taking some time and retraining to adapt to not being on constant alert.

It's hard to retrain your body and subconscious, but it's mostly possible. I still have an occasional dream where I am programming and machining an impossible part which has to be made for some reason. Is my Freudian slip showing? Anyway, it's occasional now. Good luck on your journey.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks!
Thing is, I feel my lady has anxiety and not depression. It's pretty classic, nervousness, her speech patterns are a bit choppy, yadda.
It did help my anxiety a lot because it made me not care of all the hard time and depression that was worrying about. In fact it worked so well that it almost made me too easy on the importance things such as paying bills but I set up autopay on my bills so It took care of it's self basically and helped me through a savage divorce but it didn't cause me to be totally laxed about the most important matters and responsibility that I had.

It did help my anxiety a lot because it made me not care of all the hard time and depression that was worrying about. In fact it worked so well that it almost made me too easy on the importance things such as paying bills but I set up autopay on my bills so It took care of it's self basically and helped me through a savage divorce but it didn't cause me to be totally laxed about the most important matters and responsibility that I had.
Also I have Xanax which I still take because I suffer anxiety with all of the Covid BS. She can go to a doctor and explain her anxiety and the doctor will prescribe it to her and increase the milligrams until it is effective. If this was in socal, I could recommend her to my guy. Even the free mental health facilities can do this. I was on both at the same time but now just the Xanax is all I need now and it's been 3 yrs. since the Effexor.

Last edited:
5HTP might be good for a daily thing
You are correct. Although it does relax you and take the edge off of anxiety, it is something that needs to be taken every day to reap the full benefits. It can also alleviate symptoms of depression and assist in getting a good night's rest.
I've taken GABA in huge doses years ago with no noticeable effects. Is it better if you're not chasing a buzz? ;)
Yes. It's certainly something that's not going to get you high — even at huge doses. It's just one of those drugs that are going to prove to be more beneficial at therapeutic doses.

Also never thought of 5HTP or GABA. 5HTP might be good for a daily thing. I've taken GABA in huge doses years ago with no noticeable effects. Is it better if you're not chasing a buzz? ;)

GABA doesn't cross the blood brain barrier when you take it. Personally, for me, it has a paradoxical effect,it seems to cause a niacin-like skin flushing and rapid heartbeat, which is strange. makes me feel anxious, so it accomplishes the opposite effect as the intent.

5-HTP can help you replenish your serotonin faster if it's depleted... personally I don't find it useful for anxiety, but some people seem to respond to it better than me. There is also something to be said for the placebo effect.... after all, sugar pills in studies are almost as effective as antidepressants (SSRIs), on average. If you're taking something that you expect to help you, it can sometimes help you, because the mind is a powerful thing.

5-HTP can help you replenish your serotonin faster if it's depleted... personally I don't find it useful for anxiety, but some people seem to respond to it better than me. There is also something to be said for the placebo effect.... after all, sugar pills in studies are almost as effective as antidepressants (SSRIs), on average. If you're taking something that you expect to help you, it can sometimes help you, because the mind is a powerful thing.
Ya, that seems to be the thing. Now that benzos are out of favor, doctors always seem to prescribe some kind of serotonin enhancer for anxiety. That seems to help in some cases, so it's likely indirect.

I ordered some 5-HTP yesterday. I figured that it was worth a shot. I have a couple Clonidine "on order" to try the next time an attack seems eminent. I'm not sure that we want to use that one daily, but it's on the table.

People also ask

Is pregabalin first line for anxiety?

According to the guidelines of the World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry (WFSBP), the first-line treatments for GAD are Serotonin selective reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), Selective serotonin- and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) and pregabalin, an atypical anxiolytic.

In my country if you go to an emergency room with a panic attack they give you diazepam.
So if your ladyfriend hiperventilates and have bad anxiety you have to get some benzos I think, and only take it when anxiety begins. But if you try SSRI or pregabalin probable bad anxiety dissapears.
LOve to all