• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids A life supply of opioids, how would it affect you?

Sorry to hear. I have MS and i would most likely be on fentanyl if i didn't have a good doctor. Does your doctor give you anything at all? At my old methadone clinic there were a few people there getting methadone for pain

I've asked before about methadone for pain, but I don't think that's a thing here.

I do get quite a few pain meds: Naproxen (500mg/day), Codeine (240mg/day), Gabapentin (2100mg/day) and Morphine (10mg/day)...the Gabapentin works pretty well but that morphine dose if a fucking joke. I get ONE 10mg pill a day. That's really taking the piss. I'm waiting on an appointment with the pain clinic who will hopefully increase my dosage.

In my experience I've never felt more productive than when I was using opioids on a daily basis, especially due to them having brought me out of what was becoming a catatonic level of clinical depression that I had going on the stole years from my life. I worked two jobs while dependent on smoking heroin and the only problems I ever encountered were when I couldn't get my hands on any or when my dealer would show up an hour late causing me to be late for work on a stupid amount of occasions. Also, the stress of not knowing if you would be able to score enough for the next few days is always a weight on the mind. Of course, they would be non-issues if you had an unlimited supply.

Different people function in different ways when it comes to opioids though. I feel incredibly motivated when I have opioids in my system and was never much of a 'nodder', though I did keep my use to the absolute minimum and for years no one knew until I decided to get clean. Very difficult to hide CT Heroin withdrawals while living with three other people.

I feel happier and more motivated using kratom than without personally, I think think a lifetime of opioids would have a negative impact unless dosing gets out of control (maybe?)
The issue is your receptors or whatever you'd like to call them would fill up when you have a life threatening illness they would not be able to give you anything because it would kill you for example could you imagine having cancer and not be able to kill your current pain then you have two choices, have them give you something that would kill you immediately or suffer an unimaginable pain until you do die, not very good options, kinda like methadone if you keep upping your dose over time eventually it would kill you, very sad double edged sword!

i haven't bought opiates in like twenty years and i don't really use them... i have no idea if i would use them or not if they were free... i have a good idea of what the opiate high did to me, and it's not my favorite in the world, but if it were free and legal maybe i would feel different about it.. i really have no idea what i would do... part of me wants to say i wouldn't use, but moving into smoke free housing and only being able to smoke weed sometimes, i dunno maybe i could get hooked. i'm gonna have to try to stay away from alcohol and might be tempted to use dxm when i move to smoke free housing. might be difficult. i don't know how i'm gonna react.

i think a person could probably keep a job and use opiates though esspecially with a free unlimited amount. you can always just adjust the doses and take smaller amounts when you have to work and then dose higher later when you have nothing to do... i assume this would constipate some people greatly living this life style and might eventually start to not feel as good. i really have no experience dosing that much. i used 20mgs of oxy a day for like a month and didn't get that constipated, but that's obviously not very high dosing.

This really is a fascinating subject and from the different opinions given here, I can see why complete legalisation and distribution of opioids to the general public would probably never happen, it’s too controversial. from the information I gathered here, my personal view is that if we all started taking opioids free of charge and without having to worry about them running out many of us will become considerably less functional. yes, some will be okay and some may perform even better than when they are drug-free. however, as a person who’s never used opioids the impression I got from many users is that being gone opioids chronically can lead to emotional symptoms like apathy and numbness similar to those produced by SSRI antidepressants.
This is why I believe The real approach to drug treatment needs to based on at least these three principles:
1-decriminalisation/not punishing addicts for the use of drugs.
2-in neuroscience orientated approach to treating the biological/chemical components of addiction. they should always be done in consultation with the patient and should be flexible as need and circumstances may change. from what I’ve heard, addiction treatment clinics or strategies can be divided into three problematic types. well, the problematic because of the way they are applied. these are; substitution therapy(use of the same or similar addictive drug to prevent illegal drug seeking), abstinence based approaches and perhaps the least effective long-term, so-called anti-addictive drugs like naltrexone and very rare cases, certain antipsychotic drugs which block the rewards system preventing the drug user from experiencing pleasure. clearly, none of these strategies have done amazingly well, although substitution therapy is probably best for reducing suffering and mental complications.

I have OCD and my former alcohol addiction, which caused countless withdrawal episodes ( 100's of times?)
would make me cautious.
I would increase, my dose only as needed( for pain). Seriously, I don't like being on opiods, but I hate constant pain more.

I think it depends on will power and the ability to take tolerance breaks. Without will power and the ability to take breaks, overdose/death would probably be in the cards (at least for me).

In my experience I've never felt more productive than when I was using opioids on a daily basis, especially due to them having brought me out of what was becoming a catatonic level of clinical depression that I had going on the stole years from my life. I worked two jobs while dependent on smoking heroin and the only problems I ever encountered were when I couldn't get my hands on any or when my dealer would show up an hour late causing me to be late for work on a stupid amount of occasions. Also, the stress of not knowing if you would be able to score enough for the next few days is always a weight on the mind. Of course, they would be non-issues if you had an unlimited supply.

Different people function in different ways when it comes to opioids though. I feel incredibly motivated when I have opioids in my system and was never much of a 'nodder', though I did keep my use to the absolute minimum and for years no one knew until I decided to get clean. Very difficult to hide CT Heroin withdrawals while living with three other people.
Strangely enough, in Pakistan and other countries in that lovely part of the world;
Many poor people use heroin, because it is cheap and makes doing their manual labor jobs easier because of the energy boost. Also it controls hunger.

I have OCD and my former alcohol addiction, which caused countless withdrawal episodes ( 100's of times?)
would make me cautious.
I would increase, my dose only as needed( for pain). Seriously, I don't like being on opiods, but I hate constant pain more.

Apologies, my memory is really bad so sorry if I’ve asked you about this before. What is it you hate about being on opioids? Are there any particular emotional problems that opioids cause?
I know someone a few months ago on this thread told me that opioids caused severe emotional numbness which made life intolerable whilst being on them. I feel like this is something very similar to SSRI antidepressants and I believe opioids are able to boost serotonin to a similar degree, though of course by different mechanisms.
As a person who’s never tried opioids, this is the one side effect that has truly scared me away from going anywhere near opioids. before hearing about that, I would’ve been happy to take morphine as a functional recreational drug for the rest of my life even though I don’t have any pain that requires it.

Constipation, drug tests, and there not helping as much as they did. My state sucks when it comes opiod laws, even though Michigan has just about the best pot laws out of anywhere. I need a higher dose but can't get it.