• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Pharmacology A 'How To' guide on drug discovery

This thread contains discussion about a Pharmacology-related topic
That’s what I use as well, wayy better than chemsketch. Do you happen to have a version for macOS? I have it in my windows computer but recently bought a macbook and couldn’t find the corresponding version. So now I’m forced to switch to my windows pc everytime I need to use chemdraw and mestrenova 😅
Same, I want it on my Mac

@AlsoTapered The thing is that I obviously don't want to have to pay for the license :LOL: I need a cracked version but it's pretty hard to find for mac (at least the last time I looked)

Vinylbital is interesting in that it partially overlays phenobarbitone (the alkene) and partly overlays Seconal so I presume it's of reasonable potency and intermediate action.

I've looked at the chemical molecule, I agree that the first side chain does overlay phenobarbitone (I'm going to use the UK naming convention for barbiturates for the purpose of this discussion). That's an interesting one. The second side chain is shared by thiopentone, Seconal, and pentobarbitone going from memory. As per Seconal, according to Vincent Badeux, there are two other names for that one - quinalbarbitone or meballymal, and I would presume secobarbitone too, but Badeux never mentions that name even if he mentions pentobarbitone as per the British naming convention for pentobarbital).

The difference in naming conventions can be confusing (eg. paracetamol and acetaminophen are the exact same substance). To my knowledge Australia follows the British naming conventions since we used to have a barbiturate called amylobarbitone which I later discovered to be amobarbital just under a different name, it only took a few seconds of internet lookup to verify and this was back in 2003 so the internet has advanced considerably since then.

I was taking amylobarbitone (Amytal) 50mg x 2 or 3 tablets for the best part of 2 months straight back in 2002 (coming off that was quite a drama and made life hell for me for the best part of the following couple of years - and to this day I'm not 100% certain if I ever truly fully recovered - perhaps physically but certainly not mentally) and from what I gather that was just a standard daily dose of 100 to 150mg depending on my level of anxiety and insomnia, that wasn't even much - I knew of someone who was taking 500mg per day washed down with two beers each night just to stop the ringing in his ears and the PTSD he was struggling with - turns out he was a Vietnam veteran (sadly he later died of pancreatic cancer).

The more you learn about downers, the more you seek to avoid them. Barbiturates are possibly the worst with clomethiazole and methaqualone a close second but they are all bad news.

I suggest you invest in ChemOffice so you can compare all the barbiturates in 3D. It's the 3D spatial position and lipophilic character and metabolic pathways that affect potency and duration.