Open Discussion A few questions....

cjh1221

Bluelighter
I have been thinking that there is a need to start a few new sections. I know this has been brought up many times before but OD is getting very cluttered. I know it sounds like too much to do, there are soooo many ODs but the most common are Benzos, Stims, and of course Opiate/oids. I think it might be worth a try and see if it helps. The board is getting cluttered with so many threads it's hard to keep up with and to be perfectly honest and I mean no disrespect whatsoever, but it is a pretty common agreement among a fair portion of members that the massive amount of post aren't being very well moderated. There have been multiple times that I or other members have had to warn others about thier posts and I have not seen a moderator involved once. I know it can be reported but shouldn't they be keeping an eye out anyway? In the other forums it seems like the moderators are on top of it....the mods in OD are just stretched too thin. Ok end of rant. Please don't think I am disrespecting anyone, I just think the mods are overwhelmed with the disaster that OD has become.

I am hoping to gather up a few knowledgeable members to collaborate on a post about overdose. There are so many questions about overdoses that it could have its own board and be filled quickly. I have been drawing up an outline for the post...something like a megathread. I have drawn up a general template and it could be used across the board for any drug class. I am focusing on opiate/oids myself because that is where most of my knowledge lies. If there are any other members that have a great deal of knowledge about other classes of drugs, I would love to hear from you so we can put something together. I'm looking for help with benzos, Stims, and any other drug class that is a common concern for overdose.....and is covered in OD. If you feel up to pitching in, PM me and we will get it going. There are so many questions and I really feel like having all of the information one needs regarding overdose could help prevent it, or answer any questions about it without it being scattered around or clogging up the board. It's a very important issue that I feel hasn't been given enough attention and I hope to change that. Being able to quickly and easily access the information someone needs could save time that could mean saving a life in certain situations.

NAMASTE

Last edited:
undeleted at my request. this is being discussed.

alasdair

Is it under serious consideration by the powers that be, Alasdair? Or just an idea being thrown around informally?

I see the pros and cons of splitting OD up and think the positives are slightly less than the negatives but not so much that I would throw my arms up in disgust if it happened.

i've asked the o.d. staff to check this thread. that's all so far.

alasdair

Splitting up OD has been brought up many, many times before and rejected. But this was before my time on staff. We can definitely bring it up again and debate the pros and cons.

The idea abuse overdose sounds interesting since this is a Harm reduction site n overdose can be from many different classes of substances n can be unintentionL or deliberate. I only know of an antedote for opiates n also for paracetamol due to personal reasons. I dom't know if there are antedote for other substances but if there is it would be useful knowing about these.

Also why can't they be separated into the drug groups; stims, opiates, benzos - or would that make too many sub-forums? Interesting thread.

I must say that part of the reason I have avoided Other Drugs is due to the size n personally I feel that there is often a type of arrogance - for example "you shouldn't be taking A for S" that type of thing. Maybe this is because the section is big n thus understaffed but it's very off-putting. When I first joined Bluelight I participated in the recovery section n OD. In OD was mocked n inimidated because of my choice of recovery method that I ended up moving to EADD n never did look back. (Incase of misunderstanding, in the recovery sectioned I was supported n always encouraged in my chosen method of recovery.)

Evey

The idea abuse overdose sounds interesting since this is a Harm reduction site n overdose can be from many different classes of substances n can be unintentionL or deliberate. I only know of an antedote for opiates n also for paracetamol due to personal reasons. I dom't know if there are antedote for other substances but if there is it would be useful knowing about these.

Also why can't they be separated into the drug groups; stims, opiates, benzos - or would that make too many sub-forums? Interesting thread.

I must say that part of the reason I have avoided Other Drugs is due to the size n personally I feel that there is often a type of arrogance - for example "you shouldn't be taking A for S" that type of thing. Maybe this is because the section is big n thus understaffed but it's very off-putting. When I first joined Bluelight I participated in the recovery section n OD. In OD was mocked n inimidated because of my choice of recovery method that I ended up moving to EADD n never did look back. (Incase of misunderstanding, in the recovery sectioned I was supported n always encouraged in my chosen method of recovery.)

Evey

It's been addressed many times but in the past OD hasn't been split into sections because some of the sections could have decreased traffic and fewer responses as a result. Also, many ODers are poly drug users. What if you're posting about a speedball, which section would that go into?

I don't know exactly what posts you're referencing when you say your method of recovery was mocked so I can't really speak to that. I will say OD overall is pretty knowledgeable and tells it like it is. If the responses didn't violate OD Guidelines there's nothing we can do. If they did though, you should have reported them.

It's been addressed many times but in the past OD hasn't been split into sections because some of the sections could have decreased traffic and fewer responses as a result. Also, many ODers are poly drug users. What if you're posting about a speedball, which section would that go into?

I don't know exactly what posts you're referencing when you say your method of recovery was mocked so I can't really speak to that. I will say OD overall is pretty knowledgeable and tells it like it is. If the responses didn't violate OD Guidelines there's nothing we can do. If they did though, you should have reported them.

Yes that makes sense about the speedball, other poly drug use etc I can understand why it's better suited as it is in that regard.

To be fair the matter I mentioned was before your time and I only brought it up to explain why I was put off from posting in Other Drugs so I apologise if I cause offence in any way. The posts never violated guidelines Without saying too much I was basically prescribed suboxone for a codeine addiction and totally and utterly mocked for it. Although I tried explaining my reasons for why I went on suboxone (psychological addiction) I still had a lot of grief and while it did not violate the guidelines it was still rather upsetting being a new member and being treated in that way. Having low confidence, as a consequence I felt weak and a failure and it was the support other sub-forums that helped me feel that I was not that way.

I don't really want to go into this here as the thread is not about this, I just wanted to explain a limitation that I found when participating in Other Drugs, as a new member, that I never received in any other sub-forum of Bluelight. I understand that HR is advising people but it should also be about listening to others' viewpoints. If it has changed now then I apologise

I'll leave it here because I don't want to de-rail this thread I only mentioned because I don't want to other new members going through addiction issues, to feel the same way.

I have been thinking that there is a need to start a few new sections. I know this has been brought up many times before but OD is getting very cluttered. I know it sounds like too much to do, there are soooo many ODs but the most common are Benzos, Stims, and of course Opiate/oids. I think it might be worth a try and see if it helps. The board is getting cluttered with so many threads it's hard to keep up with and to be perfectly honest and I mean no disrespect whatsoever, but it is a pretty common agreement among a fair portion of members that the massive amount of post aren't being very well moderated. There have been multiple times that I or other members have had to warn others about thier posts and I have not seen a moderator involved once. I know it can be reported but shouldn't they be keeping an eye out anyway? In the other forums it seems like the moderators are on top of it....the mods in OD are just stretched too thin. Ok end of rant. Please don't think I am disrespecting anyone, I just think the mods are overwhelmed with the disaster that OD has become.

I am hoping to gather up a few knowledgeable members to collaborate on a post about overdose. There are so many questions about overdoses that it could have its own board and be filled quickly. I have been drawing up an outline for the post...something like a megathread. I have drawn up a general template and it could be used across the board for any drug class. I am focusing on opiate/oids myself because that is where most of my knowledge lies. If there are any other members that have a great deal of knowledge about other classes of drugs, I would love to hear from you so we can put something together. I'm looking for help with benzos, Stims, and any other drug class that is a common concern for overdose.....and is covered in OD. If you feel up to pitching in, PM me and we will get it going. There are so many questions and I really feel like having all of the information one needs regarding overdose could help prevent it, or answer any questions about it without it being scattered around or clogging up the board. It's a very important issue that I feel hasn't been given enough attention and I hope to change that. Being able to quickly and easily access the information someone needs could save time that could mean saving a life in certain situations.

NAMASTE

Apologise OP - bowing out (interesting thread) :)

Evey

Evey,
You didn't offend me.
I wouldn't allow your interaction with a few members color your view of OD as a whole. To be honest, if someone posted asking about buprenorphine maintenance for a codeine dependency I would strongly advice against it too. As someone who has previously been on methadone maintenance and is currently on buprenorphine maintenance (I was an IV drug user and addicted to heroin) this shit is no joke. Getting off takes a long time and is extremely difficult, someone dependent to a milder opioid has a chance at getting off this shit for good and bupe in most of those cases is like using a bulldozer to clean your kitchen. You can't control what advice you receive and I think you received sound advice though the delivery may have been lacking. That being said, you're an adult and you're going to do what you're going to do which includes deciding on your own treatment.

Going forward, when choosing not to heed advice (regardless of whether it's good advice or bad) I encourage you to respond with something like "Thanks for the advice but I've decided that the best course of action for me is X." Or if you were to receive unwanted input on your treatment now, you could say "Thanks for your opinion but my current treatment is going well for me and my doctor and I see no reason to make any changes." At the end of the day opinions are just that, opinions, and there's no reason to get upset. Just take what you can out of them and leave the rest of it.

Mods - is there any chance that this discussion can be split into a separate thread? I feel that I've de-railed from the OP's intention with this. I apologise as it was not my intention.

Rhun I glad that I haven't offended you. Thanks for the suggestion I'll say that in future in regards advice.

NSFW:

I think you've misunderstood. I'll explain and apologise for this being long. I had been on Buprenorphine a few months before I became a member of the site and what I received, while was advice from some, was mocking me because I could not overcome a codeine addiction and "felt I could hang around with the big boys who use spoons with my little addiction." it was this kind of attitude that upset me. The people, with whom, expressed that Buprenorphine was not a good idea for codeine, I did not mind as they were trying to help.

What a lot of those members whom mocked me failed to see was the psychological aspect of addiction. My family are very anti-drugs, raided my house for codeine, cut off my supplies for pure codeine and my addict would not allow me to use the cold water extraction method for fear of codeine-lose as a result. Hence I was now on 900 mg codeine contain either 200mg ibuprofen to 12.8 mg per tablet, or 500 mg paracetamol to 12.8 mg codeine per tablet.

In terms of paracetamol toxicity and Buprenorphine from a harm reduction (HR) perspective, which is best consumed on a daily basic? It's been three years.

Looking again at the Psychological aspect of addiction, when I explained my psychological feelings towards codeine, on another sub-forum, many Heroin addicts posted that they had felt similar - terrorised of the loss, would rather risk death or illness than lose any codeine, not feeling shocked when people mention death n consequences although acting so. medicating depression and other psychological issues, lying and being extremely manipulative to loved ones, convincing myself that the physical WDs are worst. Yet when I was mocked members could only think of addiction from a physical aspect. The WDs being weaker, the ROA etc. Many addicts state that it is after the physical withdrawal the real battle begins - the battle with the mind. Yet it astounds me how addicts only consider the psychical addiction and physical withdrawals when it comes to Buprenorphine.

Three years on Buprenorphine I am tapering but I am alive - something I feel I may not be now had I not been on Buprenorphine.

Evey

I've said all I have to say on the issue, if you have any further issues or feedback pertaining to OD you're welcome to PM myself or anyone else on the OD mod team. If I thought you were derailing the thread I wouldn't have responded, your comments were related to OD so I think it's relevant. Might as well keep it all in one thread.

Edit: oops didn't see the NSFW, I'm on my phone. Since this is now about your personal struggle with addiction, why don't you PM?

Hi I have no Valium left, I am not used to taking a large amount and have been. Of Benzodiazepines for the past 8 years. over the past 3 weeks have diminished my dose overnights from 200 or 300 mg (equipotent\equivalent) down to 15 mg overnight. I no longer have any better gym left or other benzodiazepines. I do not know if I should. See a doctor urgently if there is the rest of seizures or not. Can I cold Turkey off Do you 15 mg? I've been taking over the past 3 weeks. Or would that put me address of seizures? Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you.

^ this is not the right place for this, make your own thread in BDD.