• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe A definitive quick bupe taper

Just going to say I did a 2 year dope habit away in a 5 day bupe taper: 4mg in the morn, 4 at night for 2 days, 2mg in the morn 2 at night for days, then just 2 mg at night the fifth day. 24 hours later dealt with about 12 hours of bupe withdrawal that really never got out of hand I didn't even tell the nurses I was feeling like shit because I was waiting for it to get MUCH worse. I think the hardest part of the taper is the mental part, and when you're not in control of the dosage your taking your mind more or less says fuck it, I'll take what I can get. However I'm 23, 5'9" and 115 pounds so my metabolism is probably my biggest asset when it comes to detoxing, but I really think it is not as hard as your mind wants to make it out to be.
In total over a fifteen day inpatient I took:
13 bupes over the first 5 days
about 8 tylenol the first 3 days off of bupe
Chamomile tea most nights (it did nothing if I'm being honest).

They gave me no other meds, no klonodine, no amytriptaline even though I have a perscription, pretty much no meds after the bup stopped. Hopefully this will give you some hope for your taper.

Congrats mate. So what was your tolerance like. 5 days is a rapid taper, but then again heroin w/d's only persist for a few days. At the 2 year mark I managed to emerge from w/ds with a heroic pose and a smile. Another 2 years however and its a different story entirely. 5 years down the line and the withdrawals persist with no clear end in sight. It still seemed like the hardest thing in the world though + the psychological component was more intense since 2 years in I was still kidding myself that my habit was sustainable.

Found out why the clinic have been pussy-footing about with my treatment. Theyre having severe staff shortages apparently. So im on 4mg for now which im going to maintain on until my exams are finished. Reason being that then I will have zero commitments and I can just devote my summer to getting clean. Now is the ideal time to quit since the sun makes the world of difference. The temptation to take root and enjoy the summer from the comfort of my own couch is also countered by the fact that im house hounting over the summer.

I think the hardest part of the taper is the mental part ... I really think it is not as hard as your mind wants to make it out to be.

This is VERY true. It goes for all opioids, as I never had problems with detoxing off heroin on my own, c/t, largely because I knew what was going on to my body and made a very strong commitment to just ride it out. The mind is absolutely a powerful thing.

Of course, with your very acute addictions the physical part can give you just as much if not more problems than the psychological (i.e. you could seize up, even if there is less chance of this happening during opioid w/d than say with alcohol or benzos). But I think these kind of cases are the exception and not the rule.

Rudy - Using bupe to get life in order is exactly what I'm doing. It's been working really well, although I'm going to stay on it a lot longer, and keep using this as an opportunity to make my quality of life as good as possible. And I would think that 4mg/day should treat you well. Wait until you have, as you say, zero commitments until you taper off and detox from bupe. Having to suffer exams while you're detoxing really REALLY sucks. I used to have to do that all the time with heroin when I was in college... Not fun. Sounds like you've got a great game plan though! I wish you the best :)