• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

A.A./N.A. to attend or not to attend

I know that NA works for some people so I don't want to dismiss it but, I went to a meeting and it was pretty much what you said. People talked about their past experiences, or their shitty day, or their good day, etc. I did not participate in the meeting but afterward one of the organizers talked to me. I said that I did not understand how listening to others experiences would help me to stop using and she said that everyone feels that way at first but that if I started working the steps it would work. I never went back.

Merged with the other N.A. thread.

OP, I sat in on one N.A. meeting--I too did not see how it was beneficial and would not willingly go back. The 12-step program works for some, for others it doesn't. I say go to a meeting and get a feel for it, you might like it.

On the mention of MJ, it is an unspoken rule in AA/NA around here that marijuana use if fine if it doesn't lead you to harder drugs right away (like if you smoke a joint and this makes you crave cocaine, almost never the case). Just don't go in there and start preaching about the benefits of weed. The meetings give addicts something to do with their time besides use and give them valid reasons not to use, including "I can't get high because my meeting is in 2 hours." Some people get addicted to the meetings themselves...when you hear a guy say "I'm Billy and I'm an alcoholic, and I've been clean for 20 years," it might make you think a little. They work for some people, for others the stress of hearing about someone else's shitty life only makes them want to use. You've got to go to find out. You don't have to talk in most of them, so don't worry about rehearsing your story unless you want to get it off your chest.

I am sure a medical reason to be taking a substance is not seen, in their eyes, as a horrible thing. If you feel its beneficial to you, then by all means, go share and help. .

Having much experience with this, off and on for years, he is right no matter what some idiot old timer might tell you about complete abstinence. I haven't seen you once say you love getting high on these meds, but that youre not at war with your mind? That's a good thing , I would guess. And you'd be welcome in any AA meeting I was at.

Recovering alcoholic here who will most definitely always be an alcoholic. Yes I smoke herb sometimes and do psychedelic drugs on occasion. I do not go to meetings for this reason. I can't stand the black or white, all or nothing approach. I can understand it when it comes to the substance that's an issue, but not all other substances possible. That way of thinking makes no sense to me, so I just can't take part in it.

I agree with this wholeheartedly :) Also, I don't see why they encourage people to come off medications. I think thats kinda reckless and very unfair. If you think you would benefit from going, I would go.

There is bound to be some open minded people with a less draconian stance than others about the medication issues :)

Meetings can definitely be a good thing and can help. The hard part is finding a meeting that tailors to your needs. Its not as simple as aa na or ca. I've had experiences at aa meetings where the general consensus was at least we're not as bad as those piece of shit junkies. I also notice you get some meetings where everyone thinks they're some kind of life shaman then there are the meetings that are just for copping and are usually full of court ordered halfway home residents. But even if you don't contribute they can be so emotionally taxing due to other peoples stories that when you leave using is the last thing you want to do.

AA and NA are both programs of abstinence and they do not, as a whole, encourage people to come off their prescribed medications. If a meeting or a group is telling you that this is what you need to do, they are breaking tradition. They have no opinion on outside issues, especially when it comes to medications.

On the other hand, meetings (the fellowship) are only half of the solution. To truly adopt a solution to your problem, you need the other part: the program.