• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News A 13-year-old Died From Overdosing on Benadryl...TikTok Challenge

Ugh reading about this gives me chills and flashbacks to when i was a stupid kid and took dramamine. However in my defense i didnt have the internet to look up back then how horrible it was. There should be some kind of moderation on tik tok though fuck sakes

You do need to ask for it here. You can’t just lift it off a shelf. Its only available in pharmacies, it’s behind the counter.
Oh really? Well, I've also seen lyrica and gabapentin need a recipe over there. I've watched a couple docus about some kids get tarded on meds. Here in South América ppl aren't even aware those meds are abusable.lol

Yeah I know but in some pharmacies you need to ask for everything (both what’s available via prescription and other stuff). So I thought that prescription stuff is under the counter.

And what’s the difference between OTC and what you can just take? OTC’s harder to take for free I guess

Yeah I know but in some pharmacies you need to ask for everything (both what’s available via prescription and other stuff). So I thought that prescription stuff is under the counter.

And what’s the difference between OTC and what you can just take? OTC’s harder to take for free I guess
With the OTC medication the pharmacist will probably make a very quick assessment of you when you’re purchasing it. Either to ask if you know how to use the medication or if you’re even old enough to buy it. Benadryl won’t be sold to kids, for example.

OTC in Europe is different than OTC in the States and I'm sure South America.

"Over-the-counter drugs are medicines sold directly to a consumer without a requirement for a prescription from a healthcare professional, as opposed to prescription drugs, which may be supplied only to consumers possessing a valid prescription."

Aspirin and acetaminophen, for example, are OTC.

"Over-the-counter drugs are medicines sold directly to a consumer without a requirement for a prescription from a healthcare professional, as opposed to prescription drugs, which may be supplied only to consumers possessing a valid prescription."

Aspirin and acetaminophen, for example, are OTC.
Well no, they aren’t, you can buy aspirin/paracetamol from most shops (in Ireland anyway).

OTC is a funny one to explain, I guess it’s for drugs which can be abused. Like Benadryl and also codeine is OTC here too.

"Over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers can help relieve pain or lower a fever. Over-the-counter means you can buy these medicines without a prescription. The most common types of OTC pain medicines are acetaminophen, aspirin, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)."

I don't know what the situation in Ireland is but here in Canada OTC meds like aspirin, acetaminophen, diphenhydramine, and pseudoephedrine can be plucked off the counter, brought to the register, and purchased without a hassle. The simplest definition of OTC is a drug that can be purchased without a prescription, so I'm sure you could extend this definition to drugs stored behind a pharmacy that you need to talk to a pharmacist to get (albeit still without a prescription), this is pretty uncommon in Canada though. Maybe you Irish folk just have different definition of OTC.

Diphenhydramine is a dirty, dirty drug (in medicinal chemistry terms). N-demethylation is the route to metabolism but the body will run out of the enzymes (because their is more than one) and so make other, normally utterly non-toxic compounds (such as those found in foods) toxic.

I've known grown adults take on these challenges. Makes me wonder how badly they feel they need to 'fit in'.

"Over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers can help relieve pain or lower a fever. Over-the-counter means you can buy these medicines without a prescription. The most common types of OTC pain medicines are acetaminophen, aspirin, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)."

I don't know what the situation in Ireland is but here in Canada OTC meds like aspirin, acetaminophen, diphenhydramine, and pseudoephedrine can be plucked off the counter, brought to the register, and purchased without a hassle. The simplest definition of OTC is a drug that can be purchased without a prescription, so I'm sure you could extend this definition to drugs stored behind a pharmacy that you need to talk to a pharmacist to get (albeit still without a prescription), this is pretty uncommon in Canada though. Maybe you Irish folk just have different definition of OTC.
Yeah it’s pretty literal for Ireland. It’s all the drugs you get literally over the counter. As in you have to go to a pharmacy and ask at the counter for it, drugs that you don’t need a prescription for but that are either controlled (like codeine) or are abusable (like Benadryl).

Aspirin isn’t an OTC drug in Ireland, nor is paracetamol.

OTC in Europe is different than OTC in the States and I'm sure South America.
Exactly, here in Perú 🇵🇪 u don't need recipe for most meds. Only strong painkillers and potent psicotroopics require a recipe. If you buy from a small pharmacy or know the owner/chemist you don't need a recipe lol.
I buy clonaz/gaba/lyrica/tramadol every week without a prescription. I don't abuse them though.

i always understood benadryl to be a worse dramamine. i don't know what got me thinking that, but i always felt dramamine was safer and i assumed it was more visual. i did dramamine some where between 10-20 times when i was a teen until i got to the point that i didn't want to hurt myself... i did lower doses than i heard a lot of people using over the net were doing and i still got pretty tripped out. i think i actually was noticing that it burnt when i peed, it might've been from alcohol or dxm too, maybe just too much shit that i was rotating between, but it burnt when i peed so i gave up dramamine and dex for a while. that was actually the last time i used dramamine. i used to use the pills with the similar ingredient as dramamine to fall asleep too, so i was consuming a lot of gross stuff.

i think if real psychedelic drugs become harder and harder to get more people will turn to over the counter crap even adults. for a while i think the internet made over the counter stuff seem okay. like they had dextroverse and i'd hear all on message boards about people tripping on dramamine... i'm not sure i would've been so into those things if it weren't for the internet..

despite the fact that the drugs are harmful, i still don't think they should ban them. i'd like to see other drugs legalized too, but something about dxm i think is pretty good, and if someone is desperate enough to try dramamine or benadryl, i don't really know what to say about that. it's their risk. it's like you have to be kind of stupid or have something wrong with you to be buying stuff that is commonly laced with fentanyl.... seems like population control attempts to me, tempting people with over the counter stuff and people putting fentanyl in everything. keeping alcohol legal and banning safer drugs.