• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

8 Powerful photos shine light on the people most NYers never see (Photojournalism)

Felonious Monk

Bluelight Crew
http://policymic.com/articles/76341...ight-on-the-people-most-new-yorkers-never-see

Chris Arnade, 48, quit his 20-year gig as a Wall Street banker to explore the streets of the South Bronx at night and photograph prostitutes and drug addicts. Just a short distance from Wall Street, the South Bronx is the poorest congressional district in the country, with about 35% of its people living below the poverty line.

PolicyMic interviewed Arnade about his journey, inspiration, and work. Here are eight of the stunning portraits he's taken from Hunts Point, South Bronx, with his captions beneath.
. . .

(the 8 pictures and captions are available through the link, I thought that made more sense than trying to C&P them..)

I thought the photographs and captions were incredible, he got some very insightful and powerful lines from people. This really is a community most NYers will never see either, and is quite easy to ignore for the most part. I really got a feeling for why people end up in that situation too, more-so than the 1 or 2 scenarios that are culturally ingrained.

Last edited:
This really is a community most NYers will never see either, and is quite easy to ignore for the most part. I really got a feeling for why people end up in that situation too, more-so than the 1 or 2 scenarios that are culturally ingrained.

I am big fan of brining your kids down there to see it first hand. My dad brought me down to junkie town in my city when I was about 12 as a sort of scared straight type thing. I realized right away I didn't want to end up like that.

Ive read about this guy before, in metro, a free paper in nyc. I think its good hes giving recognition to those between the cracks, so to speak. A large portion of society doesnt understand or even try to when it comes to drug users and other marginalized groups in society. He may be a former banker but at least hes giving the other side a human face.

^agreed.

thanks op, i really enjoyed that post

...kytnism...:|

Friend posted this on facebook today... really was something.
I don't even know what to say.