• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

60 Minutes: Reefer madness

Sorry I missed the start of the chat. I thought the neurologist answered most of the questions very well.

----------------------------------------------

60mins_Guest says: In two or three days cannabis would still be in the body.
60mins_Guest says: The amount of time it will stay in the body will vary from days to week depending on circumstances such as the persons body fat content and other psychological differences, but usually the cannabis will still be in your body after two days.
60mins_Guest says: end
Becca53 in ninemsn_events2 asks: What is it in the cannibis that actually causes you harm?
60mins_Guest says: The cannabis plant is a very dirty plant.
60mins_Guest says: It contains at least 60 cannabinoids and it is THC that is the most active ingredient - this is the compound that has the major psychoactive properties.
8Thank you! Our guest has received your question and will make every effort to answer it. However, due to the large number of questions submitted, not all questions can be answered.
60mins_Guest says: That compound is what has been most studied in regard to pyschoacative behaviiours. There are a number of other compounds that have not been studed that may contribue to other problems.
wooteh in ninemsn_events3 asks: Is it true that with the cannibis plant, it has 2 genders and its only that one gender that people can get high off? Please excuse my ignorance.
60mins_Guest says: That is a good question.
60mins_Guest says: It is true that different parts of the plant contain different strengths - the fibre, vs the flower vs the dry leaf produce different strengths and the concentration of the THC.
Michaelfd in ninemsn_events3 asks: What is the link between smoking - nicatine addiction and marijuana addiction, are the two related and similar to treat?
60mins_Guest says: There is a strong link between niccotine and marijuana smoking especially in young people.
60mins_Guest says: Many young people that experiment wtih drugs usually experiment with niccotine first and then that spills over to marijuana.
60mins_Guest says: Usually then when treating people for marijuana addiction you also have to treat the niccotine addiction.
60mins_Guest says: The problem is that right now that there is no real chemical treatment for marijuana addiction, it is all congnitive behavioural.
60mins_Guest says: There are a few chemical solutions for niccotine, but it is still very difficult to treat.
Dave in ninemsn_events3 asks: Is smoking marijuana straight more or less harmful than with tobacco?
60mins_Guest says: I can't give you actual numbers from studies, but based on the facts that cigarettes and marijuana together do have an effect on the broncial physiology, the addition of tobacco to the cannabis cigarette would have a greater impact.
ness in ninemsn_events2 asks: Do you feel that drug use is a major contributor to our current mental health problem, re: youth?
60mins_Guest says: Yes.
60mins_Guest says: Absolutely. Not only in youth, but also in the adult population.
60mins_Guest says: Studies in the USA show that drug use is one of the major contributors to psychiatric issues and even a lot of issues in prisons are also drug related.
60mins_Guest says: The data is overwhelming and growing that clearly drug use is a major contributor to psychiatric disorders. Of course genetics and environment also play a large role,
long in ninemsn_events2 asks: My mother was a haevy user of marijuana when I was in the womb and all through my life and then I took it up as a young teen. Would damage to my brain have occured while in the womb?
60mins_Guest says: The data shows that people had exposure in the womb do have behavioural differences and are at risk for a number of disorders compared with children who were not exposed.
60mins_Guest says: So yes, pre-natal use is linked to people with disorders later in life.
60mins_Guest says: Children raised by mothers who use cannabis usually have greater access to the drug.
Charlie in ninemsn_events5 asks: Im am only 21 but have smoked since mid teens. My partner thinks that I have incredible mood swings, can my usage damage my personaility?
60mins_Guest says: The data in terms of early teenage exposure to marijuana and psychiatric disorders is a stronger link with psychosis related disorders.
60mins_Guest says: Mood swings could come under some of the symptoms. The data is not strong for a link with depression however the earlier cannabis exposure, the greater the association with psychosis related symptoms and changes in mood would be in that.
janet in ninemsn_events3 asks: How do you know when there has been damage to the brain?
Sysop_ninemsn says: Damage to the brain can be studied by in vivo techniques today and after death.
Sysop_ninemsn says: Damage is a very broad term and can imply many things. Cannabis does not seem to destroy brain cells, meaning they dont decrease the number of brain cells, per-se.
Sysop_ninemsn says: Instead, it changes how the cells function.
Sysop_ninemsn says: END
yoly in ninemsn_events2 asks: Is cannabis use for those adults that are suffering chronic neuropathic pain OK, or can there still be brain damage? Is it as risky for an adult? Does brain damage & new problems occur?
Sysop_ninemsn says: The data shows that cannabis use in adults is less risky for developing psychiatric disorders for example than it is in adolescents.
Sysop_ninemsn says: Clearly cannabis related medication has important pain relief properties, so after all other medications are tried, cannabis should be evaluated in adult patients for relieving chronic pain.
jimbo in ninemsn_events2 asks: does marijuana use decrease sperm count or eventually make one infertile?
Sysop_ninemsn says: Thats not my best area of knowledge, but there is definatly evidence that it can decrease sperm count.
Sysop_ninemsn says: But the amount of cannibis use would have to be prolonged high doses to lead to potentially making someone infertile.
Sparky in ninemsn_events4 asks: Dr Hurd, Our son has been recovering from the result of pot smoking. Bad periods of physcosis. Has been on Zyprexa for 3 years now and still see a therapist. It appears he has been diagnosed Schzophenic. Is there any hope of a full recovery?
Sysop_ninemsn says: There is no cure for Schzophenia today, however there are treatments that can allow someone to have a productive life even with this diagnosis.
Sysop_ninemsn says: Hopefully in time there will be treatments that will help even a greater percentage without the adverse side effects of medication.
Sysop_ninemsn says: The most important thing is that your son should continue with his treatment and councilling as long as possible.
Bipolar_Boy in ninemsn_events1 asks: Dr Hird, I no longer smoke cannabis, but I fear the long term effect of antipsychotics on my brain. Do you think we know enough about what long term antipsychotic use can do to our brains?
Sysop_ninemsn says: Depending on your symptoms, now that you are no longer smoking, you may not need anti-psychotic medication.
Sysop_ninemsn says: However if your symptoms do call for it, the data still shows that it is still better to be on the medication than not.
Sysop_ninemsn says: We know the long term effects of the older medication was strong, these days the medication is a lower dose and has less side effects than earlier anti-psychotic medications
Sysop_ninemsn says: However it is always a concern to think about taking medications for life.
Sysop_ninemsn says: You need to counter the balance of the anti-psychotic medication with helping you to lead a better life.
Mocca in ninemsn_events5 asks: What kind of brain damage does marijuana cause? I know it can cause psychiatric issues but does it affect memory speech etc, and if so is it permanent
Sysop_ninemsn says: The brain effects on memory with cannabis are well documented and they last for a very long time.
Sysop_ninemsn says: Cannabis also has alot of cognitive effects and even 5 years off cannabis use, people still report cognitive disturbances.
Sysop_ninemsn says: Whether or not, these effects will be lifeline, I dont think anyone currently knows that. The effects are very long lasting even after terminating marijuana use.
dan in ninemsn_events4 asks: Dr Hurd, are some methods of marijana use safer than others? Are water pipes safer than cigarettes?
60mins_Guest says: Most of the ways that marijuana are used is still smoking.
60mins_Guest says: The water pipes help by taking away a number of the ingredients that can contribute to bronchial problems so I would think that a water pipe is safer than cigarettes.
alpine in ninemsn_events1 asks: Is it safe to say that smoking very occasional amounts, can have no affect?
60mins_Guest says: Yes, but everything is always dependent on trusting the person from whom who have purchased the cigarette.
60mins_Guest says: You also need to consider whether you have a genetic risk factor and how old you are.
60mins_Guest says: Studies have shown that there are certain genes - those related to the dopamine system - that increase the tendency 10 fold to psychosis when using cannabis.
60mins_Guest says: There are other genes that are linked as well for increased psychiatric disorders.
k in ninemsn_events5 asks: Am I too late to believe that my 20yr old son will be able to get better from years of marijuana use?
60mins_Guest says: That is a difficult question - it depends on what symptoms your son currently shows.
60mins_Guest says: There are different degrees of behavioural problems.
60mins_Guest says: If your son has already shown psychotic symptoms, they don't have to be life long but it does depend on the symptoms.
60mins_Guest says: He would need to see someone to determine what could be done and the impact that it would have on his life.
Cook in ninemsn_events3 asks: Has cannabis use ever killed anyone?
60mins_Guest says: Long term use - yes.
60mins_Guest says: Accute toxity with cannabis as compared with heroin - no.
60mins_Guest says: Cannabis use can result in lung cancer and automobile accidents.
locco in ninemsn_events2 asks: Is hydroponic cannabis stronger than naturaly grown?
60mins_Guest says: Yes and no.
60mins_Guest says: It depends on what the person is growing it for.
60mins_Guest says: People can grown plants to increase or decrease the THC content.
60mins_Guest says: In science, there are a number of researches who are trying to decrease the active ingredient, but to increase other ingredients that we know have anti psychotic and anti anxiety properties.
60mins_Guest says: You can increase and decrease different properties of the plant.
goldcoast27 in ninemsn_events3 asks: When you said genes related to the dopamine system, what does that mean?
60mins_Guest says: Your genetic makeup differs between everyone.
60mins_Guest says: We all have the same neuro chemicals in our brain and body, but we may have different amounts depending on our genes.
60mins_Guest says: The gene that is responsible for making an enzyme that degrades or breaks down dopamine - the degree of enzyme activity will differ between people and how much dopamine you have in your brain.
mike3 in ninemsn_events2 asks: My freind had trouble getting in to rehab because they said pot wasnt addictive. I smoked it socialy for 6 months when I broke up from a relationship when i was 18 i am now 30 and still get cravings for pot. How addictive is it?
60mins_Guest says: I think that your own personal experience with the drug shows that it is addictive.
60mins_Guest says: In medicine and in society we focus on the happy drugs of abuse - cocaine, heroin - even alcohol - that we ignored drugs like cannabis.
60mins_Guest says: It is addictive and its addictive potential depends between people based on genes and environmental factors.
60mins_Guest says: People can become dependent on marijana and it is now listed in psychiatric books as a drug that can cause dependence.
60mins_Guest says: I am very upset that currently a rehab centre would not consider pot to be addictive.
60mins_Guest says: It shows that it is not just regular society that need to be educated, but people in the medical field as well.
sik in ninemsn_events2 asks: How long does it take to cure someone?
60mins_Guest says: There is no cure for cannabis addiction or psychosis.
60mins_Guest says: There are treatment medications that can be tried but currently there is no cure.
60mins_Guest says: One of the things of my work of many others is to come up with a cure, and we hope that in the next 20 years such a treatment will become available.
60mins_Guest says: It takes a long time to do chemical trials.
mary in ninemsn_events3 asks: What are the current treatment medications?
60mins_Guest says: The current treatments for cannabis are cognitive behavioural therapy.
60mins_Guest says: It is working with people to deal wtih their cannabis abuse.
60mins_Guest says: Cognitive behavioural treatment is the most effective treatment, there is no pharmalogical cure for cannabis dependence.
Lano in ninemsn_events3 asks: Are there brain 'exercises' or foods can help to over come the damage from cannibis?
60mins_Guest says: I don't know.
60mins_Guest says: I think that as we understand more about the damage that cannabis does to the brain we will understand more about what kinds of supplements that could be given, but I don't really know.
dal in ninemsn_events2 asks: Do you think intensive drying out in a rehab centre would cure addictions?
60mins_Guest says: No.
60mins_Guest says: I don't think that just "not taking a drug" is not enough to deal with what happens during withdrawals.
60mins_Guest says: You have to work with someone and deal with the psychological and psychiatric symptoms.
60mins_Guest says: Drying out alone is not a cure.
lj in ninemsn_events3 asks: Does pot act like ecstacy in the sense that once you've depleted certain neurochemicals they wont come back?
60mins_Guest says: I think that marijana does not cause the same degree of brain damage and neurochemical death as ecstacy.
60mins_Guest says: Animal studies show that ecstacy deystroys the neurons but you don't see that with cannabis - they do different things to the brain.
kevink in ninemsn_events1 asks: Can smoking pot cause things like eplilepsy or schizofrenia, or does it just not help them?
60mins_Guest says: It can cause schitzophrenia - the link between cannabis and it is very strong.
60mins_Guest says: But it may be a case of chicken and egg - there may have been an underlying disorder and the cannabis made it worse, or the THC might have caused it.
60mins_Guest says: For epilepsy - cannbis can help with epilepsy, it can be a theraputic help.
outlander in ninemsn_events4 asks: Is replacing one drug (marijuana) with another, potentially more dangerous one (anti-psychotic medication) really a good idea?
60mins_Guest says: The thing is that taking an anti psychotic drug is not replacing one drug with another.
60mins_Guest says: All drugs, including those that are used for medical purposes have good and bad components.
60mins_Guest says: Every drug has some negative components, so as you work with your doctor you look to take the drug that will eliminate the negative effects, but when you take an anti psychotic drug to deal with a marijuana problem you are not replacing one drug with
60mins_Guest says: another.
Guide_AU_Nan says: Yasmin, unfortunately we are out of time tonight. Do you have any last words for those who have joined us tonight?
60mins_Guest says: I think that it is important that we all try to get knowledge about marijuana because only with knowledge can we make individual decisions about its impacts.
60mins_Guest says: As cannabis use increases in our society we have to look into the long term of the drug.
60mins_Guest says: Thank you for inviting me.
Guide_AU_Nan says: Once again, thank you so much and goodnight.
Guide_AU_Nan says: This concludes our Live Chat with Yasmin Hurd, 11 September 2005
Guide_AU_Nan says: Produced by ninemsn.com.au in Sydney, Australia
Guide_AU_Nan says: 2005 ninemsn.com.au
Guide_AU_Nan says: Thanks for joining us tonight.
Guide_AU_Nan says: Please visit the 60 Minutes site - http://ninemsn.com.au/sixtyminutes to read more about this and other stories featured in tonights show.

rah said:
Silvia Saint: The neurologist just stated that cannabis related medication has important pain relief properties. I doubt she's being payed off by drug companys to demonise cannabis.

not directly. but it's well known that scientists have provided favourable results to those funding their research due to fear that telling them like it is will see their funding slashed.

and her statements above support the views expressed in my original post.

i don't believe weed is a harmless drug, but it's certainly no demon.

if sixty minutes had any credibility, they would have interviewed a smoker with no problems associated from their use of the drug, and they would have provided some statistics on the number of teens who smoke and present problems from their use of the drug. typical worst case scenario hype.

Haha, I was apart of that chat start to finish. Total bullshit, It makes me sad that people actually watch this, and blindly believe it.

My nickname was Xihias on the chat (duh), any other bluelighters on there (that were chatting)?

Xihias said:
Haha, I was apart of that chat start to finish. Total bullshit, It makes me sad that people actually watch this, and blindly believe it.

My nickname was Xihias on the chat (duh), any other bluelighters on there (that were chatting)?

Well I posted the transcript of the chat above, I hope your not saying all of her points are total bullshit.

rah said:
Sorry, which statements?

Silvia Saint: The neurologist just stated that cannabis related medication has important pain relief properties. I doubt she's being payed off by drug companys to demonise cannabis.

rah said:
Well I posted the transcript of the chat above, I hope your not saying all of her points are total bullshit.

I meant the actual show, some of her points are good. I would have, however, like to have seen some complicated questions that cannot be answered from a quick browse through erowid or google search. =)

I guess it depends who submits the questions, and it's all up to the morderator to decide what actually gets through.

^^^
i agree. it's the segment that annoys me. mediocre tabloid sensationalism masquerading as journalism.

Silvia saint; Ah okay sorry.

Xihias; Yeah i missed the show. But thought the chat was quite good.

It probably was a bit sensationalist. But I think it is very important that more people learn about the issue of marijuana psychosis and addiction, especially younger people. Considering so many kids these days really think it is a harmless drug.

I have had a few friends who've wasted much of their lives away because they were addicted and smoked during their whole youth, and others who have developed psychosis, some who still haven't really recovered since they stopped smoking.

The chat was alright. There was some good things said.

I don't think they should have people in the channel chatting to one another though. Just have the question box and the special guest box and thats it. Then they wouldnt have to moderate all the BS that happens between the chat room users.

i don't wish to offend you ra, however you share the views expressed by psychiatrists and those who are only exposed to worst case scenario weed smokers. the show was not going to be watched by young people, they were busy watching australian idol ;)

the segment was aimed at those who have no experience or knowledge of the drug and are of voting age.

Originally posted by phreakarmada
....meh it was mainly aimed to keep the youngins away from the hydro

c'mon, do be so naive. as i said...

Originally posted by silvia saint
the show was not going to be watched by young people, they were busy watching australian idol

silvia saint said:
i don't wish to offend you ra, however you share the views expressed by psychiatrists and those who are only exposed to worst case scenario weed smokers.

I don't care if they are the 'worst-case-scenario', they are still possible scenario's that people who use the drug should be educated about.

Tripe

Firstly, I watched the 60 minutes report and after having a quite extensive knowledge in the field myself, found it to be utter tripe, almost up there with Ray Martin's 'ecstacy-driving-test-goggles'. Let us at least present an even-sided arguement to the people, for chong's sake. Fair enough that the fact is, drugs aren't for everyone, and certain people will reveal their weaknessnes if they choose to try drugs, many of my own friends have shown an inability to handle a certain substances, however that doesn't mean that a lot of people don't get a lot of value on many different levels from weed. What a boring place our world would be if it weren't for the J.R.R. Tolkens of this world, who also come in the form of musicians, comedians, etc, think about that.
Secondly, the guy who walked to Rod Laver arena after smoking weed for a while, thinking there was going to be a party thrown in his name, has clearly been to the odd rave at this same venue, and invariably tried more than just weed, maybe not, either way, it smelt of 60 minutes lab-rat shit.
Thricely, and finally, If Liz Hayes wasn't already mashed from a big bambatti, just before filming this dribble, I'll retract my statements and take up heroin on the advice of her ill-informed interviewee.
I am dumber for watching that, and have only myself to blame, where's the support group for disturbed viewers?
Munt all over the place

Why are these people always the ones that smoke like 3-4 doobs a day!?

Thats more than I have ever contemplated using, especially during school years. This is just fucking common sense people. He would have been high for at least 4-10 hours a day. Take the same kid and let him get drunk 4-10 hours a day and the impact will be MUCH higher (well I guess it can't get much worse that psychosis) but overall god damn...

The show was a piece of shit, with an extreme case scenario. True people should know about these possibilities, but did it warrant the drama -no. Although there were some funny moments..... Liz Hayes at the start of story - "The pot is alot stronger these days, super-strong"...8) And the amusing look on her face when she was smelling the pot in that greenhouse:D . And saying because whats-his-name was 'popular' he had everything to live for..

Fuck shes an idiot.

Wasn't it just a badly done re-hash of the 4-Corners report back in March this year, where it was claimed cannabis has a significant role (they made it appear that it was the only factor) in causing psychosis.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=187835

Just like politicans Current Affiars (when is ironic since they are hardly that) programs will trumpet Drugs & Law and Order issues when their ratings are low. These are traditional punching bag issues that are easy & cheap to produce.

One side of the argument was shown - well done 60 minutes. Hopefully next week they will show the other half.

Im 25 and have been smoking 2-5 cones EVERY NIGHT, on and off for 7 years. If the goods are super strong I smoke less. Simple.

I have a great career, Im happy and I have no apparent psycho tendencies. Most of my friends are the same and some are much older, also with their heads screwed on.

I'm never stoned during work or other functions but I love to smoke to relax with friends at night.

I know that some people get depressed on weed but as a lot of people have already said, it's the same with alcohol.

Know your limit and know your priorities.