View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

5-Substituted Tryptamines Naming Conventions

Madrus

Bluelighter
So we've got Psilocin, Ethocin, Iprocin, Miprocin, etc. But what about the 5-Substituted ones? Did Shulgin make a naming scheme for those as well?

No, AFAIK there is no original parent compound to conjugate names from like psilocin is in the above example.

There is bufotenine for 5-HO-DMT though, but not really other somewhat common 5-HO-tryptamines.

There are plenty of 5-MeO tryptamines, the archetype would be 5-MeO-DMT. I don't think there is a formal name for it.
So we would have to start from trivial names, and indeed people do that: 5-MeO-DiPT was dubbed foxy (for foxy methoxy). 5-MeO-MiPT became moxy, but I think that is where we stopped.

It might be interesting to try and come up with a consistent nomenclature for the 5-MeO's starting from bufotenin while considering chemical substitutions - as was done with the ones in your example...
but it would mostly be geeking out and I doubt it would be picked up by lots of people. I am generally against random trivial names (street names) that have nothing to do with proper nomenclature.
Also what would be the point, do we really need those names? I don't consider names like miprocin really necessary or important.

Last edited: