Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

5-HTP buzz or placebo?

cianuro06

Bluelighter
Hi guys,
I don't know what the correct forum for this is, so I apologize in advance.

OK, I have been doing pills for a long while. I always do them in moderation etc. I suffer from FIERCE depression for a few weeks following ANY roll.

I know its taken me some time, but I decided to supplement my diet with 5-HTP. (The reason being that you cannot buy 5-HTP in my country).

Now, the last time I took pills was about 2 weeks ago. I got the usual comedown etc and been feeling flaky ever since.

2 days ago, I started taking 5-HTP. This morning, I took two pills (100mg in total) and within an hour, I swear to God, I was buzzing. It was like a VERY VERY mild pill. I felt amazing! No joke.

What I want to know, is this normal? Was it just a freak occurrence? Would it be possible that there would be something latent in my system from my last roll? Am I just being an idiot and it was a total placebo?

I know this seems stupid, and I cannot believe I am asking it, its just today, I have been in one of the best moods I have been in a LONG time.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

I would guess this is mostly a placebo effect. I was under the impression that 5 HTP was more of a gradual effect rather than right away. I'm sure one of the mods here will know as they always seem to know there shit. BilZ0r, you got anything on this?

Yea, I was thinking it MUST be. I am not usually like this, but it was just a very curious incident.

I've heard reports similar; but they buzzy feelings always go away one the second or third use.

But don't bother taking the 5-HTP all the time. Just save it for after the roll.

I have noticed a mood lift after taking it but doing the same the next day doesn't really change how I feel. I wouldn't call it buzzing though, just feeling good.

yeah, 5-htp will enhance your mood. Its not placebo. I noticed it also after my first few times. I would start having a positive outlook on life followed by some body high.

I have not tried 5-htp recently, so I don't know if its a initial thing or not. :) Enjoy

Never had anything happen with 5-htp, but Ih've had nice effects with melatonin and marijuana.

I haven't experienced this from 5-HTP alone, but I do find when I post-load with it, the next day I feel quite good & happy, even after only 5hrs or so sleep -- it kinda feels like the slight MDMA buzz is still there, mostly alertness is increased.

But I reckon it'd be possible for what you're describing to happen. Your brain may not be getting enough Serotonin from your diet naturally. So when you offer your body some extra 5-HT(P) it sucks it up and turns it into Serotonin. Maybe the people who are lacking more Serotonin naturally, are the ones who experience a mild "high" from just a little bit of 5-HTP -- but soon find that high is no longer there after the initial couple of dosages, maybe because the difference in Serotonin levels is no longer very great.

If your body didn't require any extra Serotonin, I'm sure it would just go through you as waste.

---- Just a theory.

Sleaze -- it's not the people who who are lacking serotonin who will feel it. Anyone should feel it, if they have a decent enough dose... Your serotonin levels rise above the baseline level. If they get high enough, you'll feel it.

If you keep doing this -- i.e. keep taking 5-HTP -- receptor reregulation sets in, and you'll generally no longer feel it, hence the absence of effect after the first couple of times.

Even if your serotonin levels were "fine", you'll still get a mild serotonin boost from 5-HTP. It's not that your body chooses whether to take the 5-HTP or not based on your present serotonin levels... the 5-HTP --> serotonin process is effected via aromatic amino decarboxylase. It's just a chemical reaction, and there's no feedback loop to alter that enzyme's activity based on your current serotonin level.

So yeah, interesting idea, but unfortunately it's not correct.

Thank you for all the replies guys. I really did feel stupid posting this originally.
I guess it was just that my levels must have been pretty low. It's actually made me think.

Yesterday and today, I did not get the feeling after I took it, so I guess I'll definitely be saving them for after my next roll which I am now going to leave for a long time.

Anyway, thanks for all your ideas and feedback. This forum has helped me a lot.

the 5-HTP --> serotonin process is effected via aromatic amino decarboxylase. It's just a chemical reaction, and there's no feedback loop to alter that enzyme's activity based on your current serotonin level.

Actually, that's probably not completely true. While there is no evidence that I know of, of serotonin regulating Aromomatic L-amino acid decarboxylase (ALAD), it has been shown to be modulated by receptor activation and subsequent intracellular cascades[1, 2].

5-htp can defeintely cause a mild buzz on it'ss own. i used to get pretty buzzed when i first started taking around 300mg as a preload to rolling. too much of it can also make you sick, or at least it used to make me sick haven't taken it in a long while though, since i don't roll anymore

personally i haven't noticed a difference between 5 htp use or not.. i've rolled with it and without it

Thanks for all the replies guys. And thanks BilZ0r for those links. A bit of a tough read for me :)

Anyway, I'm glad to know that the feeling was not unfounded. I guess they will be used after my next roll so. :)

Thanks guys.

yeah the first time i loaded up on 5-htp..... i was all smiles

and then of course trippin ballz when i unloaded

Make sure you take those as you start to come down for best results.

OK, last night I did my first roll having preloaded with L-5-HTP.
Oh My God.

I rolled almost as hard as I did when I first rolled. It was great. I also took some 5-HTP out with me and as soon as I felt the come down, I took them. I was fine and I am fine today.

Apart from the first time, this is the only time I needed to take only ONE pill.
Because I rolled so hard, I have now decided to pack it in. I'm calling it a day.
I went out with a bang. I'll always remember. No more drugs for me.

Thanks for all your advice guys. You have been wonderful.

I only noticed a sizeable buzz from 5-HTP when I was taking piracetam. I don't think it was a placebo effect because I did feel very good. Has anyone else tried this combination when they also weren't on ecstasy at the time?

I feel so good since i take 100mg at bed time... that stuff work for real.

The first time I tried 5-HTP I experienced a very noticeable buzzing sensation, sort of like when you start to notice yourself coming up. However after the second and third time this "high" sensation completely wore off and from then on you really only benefit from the increased mood it gives you (which is not a bad thing either).

I find a good combo sometimes is to try it with Alcohol, just watch your dosage as it makes the alcohol much stronger.