• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

5-htp and vit B6 dangerous combo?

psyman

Bluelighter
Exploring through bluelight i happened to find some literature that someone posted regarding 5-htp possibly being dangerous when supplemented with vitamin B6

Please excuse my absence of knowledge regarding neuro science but im currently taking 100mg 5-htp a day which has 10mg vitamin B6 in it also, so obviously i am concerned about my health after visiting this website. Please correct this if it is in anyway false.

The following is an extract from this literature
http://yarchive.net/med/5-htp.html

"5-hydroxytrytophan (5-HTP) is what's sold as a serotonin brain
precursor. It is taken up into the brain. If you could keep if from
getting converted to serotonin in the liver, you'd be in great shape.
Taking 10 mg of B6 a day, however, is going to get most of it converted
to serotonin before it has a chance to get into the brain. 50 mg a day
without carbodopa is too much, since most of it will get converted to
serotonin, and 50 mg a day of "outside the brain" serotonin or so is
about the amount associated wtih heart damage in carcinoid syndrome."

Steve Harris, M.D.

It says that levels of blood serotonin (in the range 50mg or more) can cause problems with fibrosis of the endocardium and valves in the right heart, which can cause heart failure.
- Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated
cheers

I am curious about this as well. Not only does my 5-HTP supplement contain vitamin B6, but I take an additional vitamin B6 pill every day as well. I've never heard of it being dangerous before though.

hit the search engine guys.

There is a thread that hits this right on the head. Basically the B and hydroxy-tryptophan can metabolise in the liver with nasty consequences for the cardiovascular.

also... consider not using 5-HTP on a daily basis, you could end up developing a dependence, theres a few threads on that too... happy searching :)

I take Natures Way (brand) 5-HTP and it has 20 mg in the % daily value. Wonder what the real facts are on this?

l-tryprophan is a lot better than 5-htp as a suppliment.

the only time to take 5-htp is at the end of the rave/club/pill session when your mood is going down.

Why would you say L-tryptophan is a lot better than 5-HTP? What objective evidence do you have to support that statement of fact?

Meanwhile, the risk is probably overated. 5-HTP to 5-HT probably happens at least as fast as 5-HT to 5-HIAA. There is no change in 5-HT levels in the blood after lowish doses of 5-HTP[1] which is probably due to 5-HT being degraded rapidly, because there is a large increase in 5-HIAA[2].

i.e. dont worry much, the serotonin looks like it gets broken down; but don't tempt fate by taking 5-HTP chronically, with or without the B6.

What can happen if you do take 5-HTP everyday? I take 200mgs a day. 100mg in the morning and 100mg at lunch to help with anxiety.. I havnt for a few days though. I was planning on doing this for a month at a time. Is this a bad idea?

Possibley. Excess serotonin receptor (5-HT2B) receptor stimulation in blood vessels is associated with deformities of heart valves (valvulopathy) [1, 2].

I just got a bottle of l-tryptophan (i didnt realise it was on the market again now), took a few 500mg's on an empty stomach, and actually notice something. Feels 'calming' and a little bit of that "serotonin shock" feeling i associate with coming off SSRI's or after some MDxx.

Just curious if tryptophan is best taken with nothing else on an empty stomach, or is there anything uh.. that for whatever reason taken with it helps convert more to serotonin? just curious..

I can't recall feeling anything from 5-htp before.

Yeah, I'm rescinding my statements that tryptophan is innactive... but you still need to take quite a lot... i.e. grams.

helll yes its active! haha,

took it twice today, both times empty stomach, 1.5g first time, 2g just a lil while ago, a yawn! hell, that would be really sweet if this helped me sleep.. hehe..insomniac..

but yes, i definitely feel it, almost immediately too.. i'll take it daily for a while and see if my mood changes or anything like that.

both times i guess its just a slight feeling of .. real calm and chill.. relaxed in the body and mind, ..or whatever :)