• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

4th of July weekend first experience .

Dodger Guy LA

Bluelighter
I hope everyone had a great 4th.
I went to visit my in laws who just moved to Las Vegas four days before we arrived. I knew this would be a huge test on my behalf. Vegas has always been a favorite of mine but I was always hammered from the moment of arrival till departure, sometimes even before I got there.
this trip we were't staying in a hotel/resort and staying with my partners family, about 5 maybe 10 miles up Las Vegas Blvd away from the strip. It's a safe spot for an addict/ alcoholic because the are supportive times 2 regarding me not drinking. In fact my mother in law most likely wouldn't allow me to drink under her roof.
Did I think I might be have temptation, yes I did in all honesty. Did I think I would relapse, it was 80% no and 20%
yes. I only had two times that temptation landed on my shoulder which of corse was at the pool we went to at one of the newer resorts. Music was blaring, people in the pool. I just kept asking myself your in the moment, how will It be tomorrow and how will it be back home? That Q would help but still in those two hours I had a few times I was having temptation and brain washing myself.
Then a song came on, "I took a pill in Ibiza". If you listen to the lyrics it really is about someone like myself even though it is a club dance song. It got me emotional on the inside but set me at ease. Almost a fore shadow that you are in Vegas but there are other just like you going through the same. It set me at ease and my mother in law likes to remind me no drinks for me which helps. If I had drank I would have been the only one in our group who had.
we didn't spend anytime on the strip besides trying one new restaurant.
all in all I learned I am still a bit weak, which is good for me to know. All in all I did not drink, pat on my back. I am soooo glad I didn't give into my triggers as I sit here now.
Plus it's been a week with out any pain pills and my back was quite sore but I got through that as well! I took Motrin instead which gave me a bit of relief. I actually did not bring my Norco with me (actually out of them ).
i wanted to share my weekend with people who understand what I'm going through.

Nice work Dodger, I'm proud of you. You're well on your way. This is some very valuable insight you have found for yourself. Keep up the great work!

Good job on staying sober and not using the norco! It's a feat and you deserve a big pat on the back!!! Stay the course. I've recently stopped a 6 yr oxycodone dependance. It's not easy when you have a chronic pain that reminds you daily why you took the pills.

Good job on staying sober and not using the norco! It's a feat and you deserve a big pat on the back!!! Stay the course. I've recently stopped a 6 yr oxycodone dependance. It's not easy when you have a chronic pain that reminds you daily why you took the pills.
How do you deal with the pain with out the Oxy if you are in pain? I ask because it's come close because of the back pain but I've still haven't taken one and dealt with it.
awesome job yourself!

How do you deal with the pain with out the Oxy if you are in pain? I ask because it's come close because of the back pain but I've still haven't taken one and dealt with it.
awesome job yourself!

For me personally, I have chronic pain myself, but I have used other medication that I know I wont abuse (gabapentin).
I know if I get prescribed oxycodone again, all hell will break loose!

My brother took Gabapentin when he was ill with cancer. I'll have to look it up. I know peeps use it when withdrawing. I myself am trying not to ask the doctor for a refill for Norco. Gonna use ibprophen instead, 600 mg...

Hey man that's great! There are so many alternatives, just ask your doctor!