• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

4/5 days after dxm/5htp trip, I think I have hppd or it's something else need advice

lightblue543

Bluelighter
Hi all.
I am starting to get a bit iffy for my general wellbeing asked on other subs but I didn't get a concrete answer... I don't wanna sound like I am some psych expert or broscientist or hypochondriac on this but here it is.

it's been a few days since I developed SS, both substances (dxm/5htp) should've been quickly eliminated from my system yet apparently, through ways I sort of understand, it has caused more serotonin to be floating around between synapses, more in the brain in general. Drank alcohol, it came back, went away, drank again and the same thing, how long would it take for the brain chemistry to return to some sort of normality? Figured it hasn't settle yet but I tried (and failed) to cut on the drink.

I think the combo of these either messed up my reward system or something if that's even possible or acted as some fast acting ssris so the symptoms of taking a one and getting SS are similar to my situation despite not being on any ADs... anyway...

The drugs were gone from my system days ago (I posted on monday, my thinking is a bit foggy I think it was sunday or sat I took it one the day before the other, so first plat/sub first plat on both days) and I know SS can't last this long what's going on in my brain? I know it's a vague question as past usage contributed to neurotrasmitter imbalances. I went to the ER and they think it was SS, assessed mentally and with blood pressure and that

I've been waxing and waning honestly since the experience, minor things creep me out or trigger me and I got dp.dr a bit too I now think I may have hppd my headspace is all over the place it feels like I am occasionally put back into the dxm headspace, or just an anxious headspace in general it's mild enough thankfully it isn't impairing and I'd coping but truth be told I am a bit scared, the anxiety/headspace is disturbing and the perception of derealization and that is giving me anxiety/mild freakout stuff.

it's like those horror stories you read on erowid or elsewhere about still having psych headspace stuff for extended periods of time.

Where do I go from here? The ER said call them back if SS doesn't go away but obby avoid drinking and the rest of it (I have had a few drinks past few days), also I can talk to a gp or mental health prof about hppd. The doctor also said 'cos it was bought on the net you don't know what else was in it, didn't say it was robocough it was a bit embarrassing enough saying it was dex

it's as wacky as "lsd in ur spinal fluid" which can't be true...
but do you could somehow have the dex in your body and it could be linked to NT release. Is that even possible scientifically for from a psychopharmacology standpoint, know what im saying like neurotrasmitters changes could cause a person to have their trip/experience re-vamped.

---------------------------------
Even smoking a cigarette seems to spark it back or it temporarily subsides, like serotonin depletion, but then as I say it returns for 10 mins it's been DAYS, surely this cant go in for a week or longer it's so iffy for my mental health. There is even pupilar changes. These delerium like feelings... man if Id been taking it for months or doing huge doses I'd get that and wha people say about Dex abuse making you dumb but such a low dose for such a short period if time I dont buy it and I don't think it's psycosis. Maybe it's an infection just guessing idk.

bump

Last edited:
Even smoking a cigarette seems to spark it back or it temporarily subsides, like serotonin depletion, but then as I say it returns for 10 mins it's been DAYS, surely this cant go in for a week or longer it's so iffy for my mental health. There is even pupilar changes. These delerium like feelings... man if Id been taking it for months or doing huge doses I'd get that and wha people say about Dex abuse making you dumb but such a low dose for such a short period if time I dont buy it and I don't think it's psycosis. Maybe it's an infection just guessing idk.

bump

Last edited:
^
think 6 months to a year is usually enough for said NTs to return to some sort of homeostasis.
too much serotonin in my body its how it felt, last night, I took 1mg etizolam which was nice and it calmed me down a bit. heart rate/blood pressure and temp is normal today, so its not SS anymore, although I think like many a user my nts are a bit outta wack, mild hppd thing I think that's something I had anyway and this sparked it aint so bad today either. just hope it aint gonna get worse

Last edited:
just hope it aint gonna get worse
No need to hope for that, you are pretty much guaranteed to get better if you take a proper brake. No need to worry tomorrow or the day after tomorrow you could wake up an be worse concerning your current state, well at least not if you ain’t over 90 years or something...

the day after tomorrow you could wake up an be worse concerning your current state, well at least not if you ain’t over 90 years or something...
i don't get it lol.

edit: It sounds brosciency or psudosciency but I think this messed up my neurotrasmitters a bit it was also likely perpetuated by past use and notropics and that, so I think I've gotta just avoid anything thats serotonin heavy, even the washout period for certain ADs is several weeks.

Last edited:
i don't get it lol.

edit: It sounds brosciency or psudosciency but I think this messed up my neurotrasmitters a bit it was also likely perpetuated by past use and notropics and that, so I think I've gotta just avoid anything thats serotonin heavy, even the washout period for certain ADs is several weeks.
Well, you sure did mess up something. As much as I would like to think that answer to problems caused by drugs are other drugs and drugs are in question just about any-time with any-thing in concern but in reality there are periods of life where you’ll be best if you stick only to the white tea with a bit of lemon and honey for some time...the longer the better… Sunshine and sweating often can do more good for BDNGF, neurogenesis & stuff than some shiny powders…..

good ol' BDNF, i remember reading about that when I started researching nootropics that would heal my previous anhedonia and increase that. it does seem a bit bioscience-like looking back and I am a bit cautious really of taking anything that could cause harm

i was always so tempted to try things that could, like many a nootropic user, help me in some way with neurogenesis... yeh.

today I'm alright, it goes between this and feeling a bit anxious/having brain fog.

Last edited:
What kind of dose of DXM did you take? How do you know you had SS?

And yeah that's not HPPD.

DXM can cause permanent serotonergic damage. It was never my cup of tea but I definitely felt off for a few days every time I took it in high doses.

Either way, you should abstain from all drugs and supplements for now. You might start feeling better tommorow, or in a few weeks. In the off chance it's permanent that's a different ball game.

If you are in prodromal stage of psychosis it is imperitive you stop using ALL drugs and alcohol, otherwise you may push yourself into psychosis.

Keep us updated, but you really need to avoid drugs until this settles or you understand what's going on more.

^just robo, i.e hbr.
I am just mulling over things I have tried in the past and if there is some link between this and something I tried ages ago, like a medication tried weeks ago but suspended, or something else. I think it's part psychological part NT. It's been like two weeks, like the past week or so I've been alright I went to the a and e and they checked everything, which was mostly fine bar the heart rate then I spoke with the MH team, and maybe next the gp. The ecg, although I am not versed/trained in reading it was all over the place, like there was a normal rhythm mixed with "spikes" (again i dont know how to read it).

I did start feeling better probably actually the following morning after it came down. Started drinking, then the SS-eske symptoms or whatever came up again, but I guess that doesn't really matter. I (felt) a bit anxious or something earlier and occasionally and it rubs off negatively on others, been trying to think what it could be but that doesn't matter too much haven't really done anything since bar booze, read about this other guy on BL who had similar concerns but ended up getting a dx of hppd or something. I think some people who think they have gotten psycosis from drugs may have some like latent-bad trip experience or anxiety or messed up transmitters.

past few hours i haven't been doing great and I have this notion that its rubbing off badly on others, I could even see it with the ER guy, he seemed a bit upset (I also notice or think I notice people being a bit off with me, because the vibe I give off upsets them). i dont want this.

it's been weeks, my pupils (i did get a check-up at the hospital), I have this near mental breakdown sort of feeling because I know it can't last this long but I think I am freaking myself out and the aura is making others uncomfortable (i told the mental health professionals this). i did thank fuck feel better after leaving the room and going home. I denied having suicidal or self injurious thoughts, but actually i do occasionally get these random bouts of thinking of that, but i have to keep it together. im trying to tell myself its just a NT imbalance and thats why my pupils are dilated (panic). hopefully thats all it is. idk what the fuck to do, i am shaking and sporadically anxious, i think or hope thats why my pupils were dilated. i know i am rambling thx for listening and following this like most days since then are fine but this is something else. logically i know it cant actually last or have it still in the body but i had this freaky feeling that it changed my brain chemisry somehow, but thats impossible.

i was given the all clear for psycosis, but i do in fact have many thoughts in my head I don't know if that would be classed as that, they said if it gets worse come back and tell them, i did, they helped a bit and gave me some numbers. said see my gp

at this rate if this doesn't supside or I calm myself down ill probably have to check myself into the local mental hospital.

edit2: i'm alright today, I was wondering if it was WD from something, or if its paws but i dont think i have paws.

Last edited:
^just robo, i.e hbr.
I am just mulling over things I have tried in the past and if there is some link between this and something I tried ages ago, like a medication tried weeks ago but suspended, or something else. It's been like two weeks, like the past week or so I've been alright I went to the a and e and they checked everything, which was mostly fine bar the heart rate then I spoke with the MH team, and maybe next the gp. The ecg, although I am not versed/trained in reading it was all over the place, like there was a normal rhythm mixed with "spikes" (again i dont know how to read it_ I did start feeling better probably actually the following morning after it came down. Started drinking, then the SS-eske symptoms came up again

Best thing you can do is do no psychoactive substances for some time, not even booze. Imho that’s more important than trying to fix yourself with anything. What happened to you should be dealt like just about any drug caused problem, so WDs etc. Therefore you need to both exercise and rest plenty if you can. Relax, go to nature if you can. Don’t worry too much about it and soon you’ll be fine, maybe even better than before incident, just give your brain a break.

You a "White" person?
I had horrific times with DXM but I learned I lack CYP2D6 & that is the reason why DXM doesn't agree with me, it is missing in more than 30% of "White" folks.

It may be the reason for what you are going through right now.

Whenever I do DXM now or so it seems if I take enough (I don’t take more than a first or second “plateau” amount) I get this scary head rush, panic for my heart, and have even walked down the street right into the ER thinking this is the end.

I’d be insane to try taking it again.

Surely I ruined my using it safely being a polyaddict anyways I am also a bad alcoholic who knows what lingering damage there still is.

^today has been its been weeks, i went on holiday and felt a bit better, but I still (and i have consciously noticed this) have episodes of dissociation (i also cant like 'feel' areas of the brain), I guess I wanted reasurance as to why this is this case, im guessing its some like flashback thing, which leads to anxiety, and dissocation, followed by more anxiety etc. at least i know what i am working with,=

i just had this weird, yet abouslsly impossible idea that it's changed my brain somehow, that isnt even possible right? i also get headaches, at the back of my head, and as I say I experienced SS at the time, and I basically felt 'bricked' during the experience, like abnormally so, so im wondering if there even is damage could my gp actually refer me for a scan?

Last edited:
How are you feeling at the time of your next posting?
We put our bodies/minds through the grinders sometimes I had to slow my roll way down to get a larger picture. Drives me nuts anyway but seems sustainable (for a while lol).
Peace

This is ADHD blues, you are overthinking and if you continue to do that without help as you said you know something about meds.
Well you have an apt. with gp. so if you don't trust them and Why would you?

They don't know you? But you know what could be helpfull to you? So use them for what they are paid for.
To help you. If with no magic words than
Maybe try with some Methylphenidate or amphetamines (concerta, ritalin, adderall, vyvanse) for intrusive thoughts or hyperfocus and maybe some lamotrigine or benzo like diazepam or lorazepam for night sleep.

You said it mirtazapine and I experienced some awful nightmares with it, so that's a no
SSRI-s are no obviously so:
I'm not a doctor but the only combo of meds that helped me in withdrawals, Paws, shutting myself, being tormented with the worst anxiety like a week of anxiety without a panic attack or a seizure which I was welcoming just to be able to not feel anything for 30 seconds, no sleep.

The only thing prescribed is MPH or amphetamines with pregabalin when taken would turn that tide almost to a degree of neuroplasticity or neurogenesis or whatever but raising my normality, making people around me not asking me or worry about me, well you can't hide I always tried and if you suffer badly for a week and you are alone in a house 2cn time dealing with withdrawal that overlaped with some rebound feelings from a 5 year old divorce are hitting you again, ex is calling you because she still loves you but you can't answer the phone parents are in another country, friends also and those that are here, are not that close anymore, as you are ashamed and you just can't deal with anyone.

Then you went to ER and there is a shift between nurses and here they knw just how to give a paracetamol and aspirin and benzo withdrawal is like ok he's looking young while your seconds become hours.
So you know that you can't repeat that anymore so you deal with it a little bit more cause pregabalin I can take with breaks well only physical pain is harsh but Concerta I can not take for weeks and than i take it when I feel the need for mental boost.

And yeah Amen to MDMA and LSD, if you know what you are doing but maan frickin DXM I will never understand cause it's not a drug drug and yeah it's a medicine but cough medicine so just know that :
Writing that much like I just rammed here is a product of a little bit of imagine this or that( satanic? ), watch some comedy and
don't drink alcohol, eat and try to sleep and excercise or work!

update: it's been... well... some time now. had better/more sober days, and less ones. only think i can even think at this point is its still in my system due to poor digestion/being an ultra slow metabolizer. i have diverculosis i think, not sure if that would be a contributing factor or if its some other medical issue idk, i just can't help but notice (you know what it might not even be the dex thing anymore) it's linked to digestion.

@lightblue543 Have you ever been diagnosed with any sort of anxiety malfunction? How often do you drink and how much (elevated cortisol levels from alcohol abuse can cause anxiety problems)?

When I first started doing drugs (MDMA and mushrooms) I would sometimes have weird after-effects as much as two or three days later some of which I thought were SS at the time (they weren't) which at times made me think my liver wasn't working properly as I thought it was still metabolising drugs I had done days before. These events would sometimes be precipitated by alcohol or tobacco. That shit stopped happening entirely after a couple years of generally safe use and entirely went away after some good sleep (which alcohol destroys) and good food.

Try your best to take a break from everything...even caffeine.....I think you might find your situation improving within a couple of weeks.