• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Detox 30 hours into my opioid detox...

AshleaRed

Bluelighter
First time poster here. I just found out I'm pregnant a month or so ago so after a year of everyday pain killer use, it was time to wean. Tried to slowly taper and got down from about 100 mg a day to my last day was 25 mg. I definitely had days where I would increase my intake though so this was not a steady taper. It was kind of all over the place and happened quickly in about 3 weeks time. Anyways, it's been 30 hours since my last dose and I dont feel great but I'm ok. What the hell is going on? Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that it hasn't been as bad as expected but I was expecting it to be a lot worse. Has the worst of it not set in yet? Or is it possible that the crappyness I feel is as bad as it'll get? Anyone else experienced detox that wasn't terrible? No restless leg syndrome, no shits, vomiting, not even significant body aches. What is going on?

Signed,

Hopeful but prepared for the worst

Hi Ashlea...though Im new here, I'm old (60). I have perused this site for so long now, it's full of knowledge etc. Anyway, my point, I have been in your shoes so many times BUT I did it! It wasn't all that bad, actually. I just wanted to wish you well :)

Hi Ashlea...though Im new here, I'm old (60). I have perused this site for so long now, it's full of knowledge etc. Anyway, my point, I have been in your shoes so many times BUT I did it! It wasn't all that bad, actually. I just wanted to wish you well :)
Thank you very much! Appreciate it 😊 When you went through it, had the worst of it set in by 30 hours or is it possible that it could get worse?

First time poster here. I just found out I'm pregnant a month or so ago so after a year of everyday pain killer use, it was time to wean. Tried to slowly taper and got down from about 100 mg a day to my last day was 25 mg. I definitely had days where I would increase my intake though so this was not a steady taper. It was kind of all over the place and happened quickly in about 3 weeks time. Anyways, it's been 30 hours since my last dose and I dont feel great but I'm ok. What the hell is going on? Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that it hasn't been as bad as expected but I was expecting it to be a lot worse. Has the worst of it not set in yet? Or is it possible that the crappyness I feel is as bad as it'll get? Anyone else experienced detox that wasn't terrible? No restless leg syndrome, no shits, vomiting, not even significant body aches. What is going on?

Signed,

Hopeful but prepared for the worst

Are you *positive* that won't hurt the baby? Cold turkey, I mean. I would slowly taper unless you've spoken to a professional.
I wish you all the best, though! Just remember as bad as it feels, it's pretty brief and most people start to feel better starting on Day 5. And Day 1 is usually tolerable. It's really just days 2-4 that are "the three days of hell". I realise that might not be the most comforting thing to hear at hour 30, but what's 3 days compared to sobriety and your beautiful baby!
My girlfriend and I can't have a baby (...the way WE have sex...:p) but I have 2.5 year old niece and she really helps me stay sober (from alcohol, anyway) because she brings me so much joy and I know I couldn't be around her (I wouldn't let MYSELF) if I was intoxicated. Congrats on the pregnancy btw!

A few tips:
Imodium (Loperamide) for cramps and diarrhoea (DO NOT take more than the maximum dose as when you stop taking it the cramps and diarrhoea are so fucking bad you'll wanna die).
Coconut Water is almost identical to human plasma so it is perfect for hydration and maintaining the correct electrolyte balance.
Naproxen is good for muscles aches (Ibuprofen will do if Naproxen is a prescription only med where you are...although "Feminax Ultra" is an OTC painreliever for mentrual cramps that is just Naproxen....funny story. I went to buy some once and the saleswoman said "hello, Sir, how can I help". I asked for the Feminax Ultra and afterwards she said "Have a good day, Ma'am" LOL)

Are you *positive* that won't hurt the baby? Cold turkey, I mean. I would slowly taper unless you've spoken to a professional.
I wish you all the best, though! Just remember as bad as it feels, it's pretty brief and most people start to feel better starting on Day 5. And Day 1 is usually tolerable. It's really just days 2-4 that are "the three days of hell". I realise that might not be the most comforting thing to hear at hour 30, but what's 3 days compared to sobriety and your beautiful baby!
My girlfriend and I can't have a baby (...the way WE have sex...:p) but I have 2.5 year old niece and she really helps me stay sober (from alcohol, anyway) because she brings me so much joy and I know I couldn't be around her (I wouldn't let MYSELF) if I was intoxicated. Congrats on the pregnancy btw!
Thank you for this punch to the gut LOL but I definitely needed to hear it to mentally prepare myself for the next few days. I've done a lot of research on the best way to do this without harming the baby and this seems to be the best way. My other option is going to a methadone clinic and getting on subutex but that's not an option for me since 1) everything I have read says Subutex is harder to kick than oxys and 2) I'm not willing to risk CPS getting involved if I seek professional help.

A few tips:
Imodium (Loperamide) for cramps and diarrhoea (DO NOT take more than the maximum dose as when you stop taking it the cramps and diarrhoea are so fucking bad you'll wanna die).
Coconut Water is almost identical to human plasma so it is perfect for hydration and maintaining the correct electrolyte balance.
Naproxen is good for muscles aches (Ibuprofen will do if Naproxen is a prescription only med where you are...although "Feminax Ultra" is an OTC painreliever for mentrual cramps that is just Naproxen....funny story. I went to buy some once and the saleswoman said "hello, Sir, how can I help". I asked for the Feminax Ultra and afterwards she said "Have a good day, Ma'am" LOL)
I have imodium but am scared to take it because no research has proved it's safe for pregnancy. And yes I realize how stupid that sounds because I have been taking oxys while pregnant but I gotta draw the line somewhere. Only thing I can take while pregnant is Tylenol. I have some but haven't really needed it yet.

Oh and also, I did attempt to slowly taper but realized I dont have enough will power. For some reason cold turkey while giving myself no access to any pain killers, is the only way I can do it. I am kind of proud of myself for getting down to 25 mg after taking 100 a day though.

Thank you for this punch to the gut LOL but I definitely needed to hear it to mentally prepare myself for the next few days. I've done a lot of research on the best way to do this without harming the baby and this seems to be the best way. My other option is going to a methadone clinic and getting on subutex but that's not an option for me since 1) everything I have read says Subutex is harder to kick than oxys and 2) I'm not willing to risk CPS getting involved if I seek professional help.

I STRONGLY recommend not going on Methadone! It's worse than Oxy! (I went from an oxy addiction to Methadone). It raises your tolerance really high, it's a stronger and even more dangerous opioid than oxy and it would mean your baby will be born addicted to it. Methadone withdrawal - unlike other opioids - lasts for 12 WEEKS. I cold turkey'd off it as felt relatively okay for 10 days and then I was so sick I was bedridden for 10 weeks with no relief (I say "bedridden" I was homeless at the time!). I also gained 30lbs on it and would sweat very heavily just walking slowly for 5 minutes (and not due to weight. I am naturally 5'6 and around 105lb so I wasn't actually overweight even with the extra 30).
Yes, going from 100mg to 25 is amazing! I'm proud of you :D

I have imodium but am scared to take it because no research has proved it's safe for pregnancy. And yes I realize how stupid that sounds because I have been taking oxys while pregnant but I gotta draw the line somewhere. Only thing I can take while pregnant is Tylenol. I have some but haven't really needed it yet.

Oh yeah, sorry. I forgot you need to be careful with meds while pregnant.

Oh and also, I did attempt to slowly taper but realized I dont have enough will power. For some reason cold turkey while giving myself no access to any pain killers, is the only way I can do it. I am kind of proud of myself for getting down to 25 mg after taking 100 a day though.

Yeah, I couldn't taper by myself for sure. I tapered myself off alcohol by reducing by one unit a day but it's a little different because alcohol withdrawal is extremely dangerous and classed as a medical emergency because it can often be fatal (my soulmate actually died due to a massive seizure caused by alcohol withdrawal). And even then I could only do it by giving all my alcohol and money to my dad, moving in with him, and having him give me a 24hr supply of alcohol each day (he was a fucking saint during those times....there were 3 in all).

I STRONGLY recommend not going on Methadone! It's worse than Oxy! (I went from an oxy addiction to Methadone). It raises your tolerance really high, it's a stronger and even more dangerous opioid than oxy and it would mean your baby will be born addicted to it. Methadone withdrawal - unlike other opioids - lasts for 12 WEEKS. I cold turkey'd off it as felt relatively okay for 10 days and then I was so sick I was bedridden for 10 weeks with no relief (I say "bedridden" I was homeless at the time!). I also gained 30lbs on it and would sweat very heavily just walking slowly for 5 minutes (and not due to weight. I am naturally 5'6 and around 105lb so I wasn't actually overweight even with the extra 30).
Yes, going from 100mg to 25 is amazing! I'm proud of you :D
This just validated my decision to not take that route. Sorry you had to experience that. Sounds like a nightmare. I feel like the government wants to get people hooked on this shit because they can profit off of it. I mean do they really even care that it's more addictive than the shit people go in there to get off of? I doubt it.

Btw, were you taking instant release Oxy (like Oxycodone or OxyNorm) or were they the sustained release OxyContin? The sustained release ones will take a while to clear out of your system so that could explain delayed withdrawal. Also, it's different for different people. I usually get diarrhoea and sweating after 12 hours and those two symptoms get BAD after 24 hours, but it takes me 24-36 hours to get the full range of proper withdrawal going. You most likely won't get ALL the symptoms, of course. I've never vomited from opioid withdrawal for example and actually find it easy to sleep for like 16 hours a day.
Oh I forgot the most obvious tip! Sugar! It actually REALLY helps. There's science behind it: sugar lights up the same areas of the brain as drugs and it causes similar releases of dopamine. Don't underestimate it.

This just validated my decision to not take that route. Sorry you had to experience that. Sounds like a nightmare. I feel like the government wants to get people hooked on this shit because they can profit off of it. I mean do they really even care that it's more addictive than the shit people go in there to get off of? I doubt it.

I think the fact that Methadone was synthesised by the Nazi's tells you everything you need to know haha.

Yeah, I couldn't taper by myself for sure. I tapered myself off alcohol by reducing by one unit a day but it's a little different because alcohol withdrawal is extremely dangerous and classed as a medical emergency because it can often be fatal (my soulmate actually died due to a massive seizure caused by alcohol withdrawal). And even then I could only do it by giving all my alcohol and money to my dad, moving in with him, and having him give me a 24hr supply of alcohol each day (he was a fucking saint during those times....there were 3 in all).
Glad you had your dad. Kind of crazy now that I'm saying this out loud (or writing it LOL) but no one in my life actually knows I take them so I'm going through this completely alone. My name is not Ashlea LOL.

Btw, were you taking instant release Oxy (like Oxycodone or OxyNorm) or were they the sustained release OxyContin? The sustained release ones will take a while to clear out of your system so that could explain delayed withdrawal. Also, it's different for different people. I usually get diarrhoea and sweating after 12 hours and those two symptoms get BAD after 24 hours, but it takes me 24-36 hours to get the full range of proper withdrawal going. You most likely won't get ALL the symptoms, of course. I've never vomited from opioid withdrawal for example and actually find it easy to sleep for like 16 hours a day.
Oh I forgot the most obvious tip! Sugar! It actually REALLY helps. There's science behind it: sugar lights up the same areas of the brain as drugs and it causes similar releases of dopamine. Don't underestimate it.
That explains why I thoroughly enjoyed licking the shit out of a brownie batter bowl today 🤣🤣 I was taking oxycodone so I guess thats rapid release? Never really understood the difference so thanks for clearing that up somewhat.

Glad you had your dad. Kind of crazy now that I'm saying this out loud (or writing it LOL) but no one in my life actually knows I take them so I'm going through this completely alone. My name is not Ashlea LOL.

Haha. If I'm honest (I hope people I talk to on here regularly aren't too shocked) MY name is not actually Chemically Enhanced ;)

Regularly Oxycodone you get it all in your system in one go immediately (well, ya know, more like 45mins if you've just eaten) and lasts around 5 hours before you need to re-dose. OxyContin tablets release slowly into your system over a period of 12 hours. The dose if how you tell. If your pills are 5/10/20/30mg they're *probably* instant release, while the slow-release ones come in 20/40/60/80mg doses