View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

3-MeO-PCP, vibrations, editing mode, & neuroplasticity

prey

Greenlighter
Hi, folks. I've lurked Bluelight for several years, but it's 3-MeO-PCP that's finally brought me to join the discussion. This isn't my first post because it's taken me several days pull this together. It's been about 2 years since I've had access to this substance, of which I've personally gone through somewhere around 5-6 grams in my life. I've done about 65 unique acutely psychoactive drugs, with a special focus on dissociatives, but I've been blown away all over again by the raw creative and destructive power of 3-MeO-PCP.

This is a pretty long post, and it gets a little rambly, because I have years of thoughts about this drug that I've never put forth the effort to record. Bear with me! I've struggled to bring it to a "point", but I know if I let that stop me from putting my thoughts out there at all, they will stagnate.

What's currently fascinating me is the ability I seem to have picked up to leverage 3-MeO-PCP (and to a lesser extent, other dissociatives) to deliberately enact transformative change in my identity, my perception of reality, and the machinery of my own mind. I received my sample on 10/25, on the same day that a friend brought ketamine into my life for the first time. (I'm an RC disso connoisseur, but don't have many street connections.) I spent the next week on what turned out to be a truly transformative bender (lol).

Check out this post from page 1 of the big thread:

I don't know what other people have experienced, but last time I used it,for a few days was when I came to openly realize my non-binary gender identity. Even though it has been about 2 months since then without using, I never 'unrealized' that realization. I mean, I have always been some degree of gender fluid or 'trans-curious' but 3meo brought it to light in a very real way. It wasn't like when I came down I felt like ' It was just a trip'. Kinda like when in July during a deep contemplative trip I concluded beyond personal doubt my belief in the 'Simulation Hypothesis'. When I came down from the trip it still felt every bit as 'real' and still does, months later.

This idea of 3-MeO-PCP allowing one to tune into one's "true" self is resonant with me. I'm a non-binary transfemme myself, and central threads to my identity have always been gender dysphoria, body dysmorphia, and (TMI alert!) struggling to comfortably express/indulge myself sexually. I find "male" orgasms & the "male" way of masturbating to be intensely uncomfortable and unnatural-feeling to me and my body. I've left that "male" sexuality entirely behind, and my sexual expression nowadays is centered on vibrations, letting go, the entirety of my organism and not just my genitals, and fully inhabiting this warm mammalian machine I inexplicably am.

Feminizing HRT (hormone replacement therapy, entailing estradiol, progesterone, and a testosterone-blocker) has obviously played no small part in the changes in my libido & sensuality, but dissociatives have played a huge part in coming this far (no pun intended) as well. For starters, I had my first anal orgasm on a combination of DOC and 3-MeO-PCP (on my birthday, even!). Those are both drugs with a very high affinity for vibratory sensations, at least for me. For years, anal orgasm had been a sort of "holy grail" to my sexuality that I'd pedestalized to the point of psyching myself out of it. I chased it for so long, and it was such a white whale to me that it felt like I had a mental block in place, almost viscerally, and the closer I was brought to climax, I'd slam into this mental block and the orgasmic waveform I'd been constructing would evaporate.

Since then, I've taken things further. I've brought myself to orgasm from the vibratory hallucinations of 3-MeO-PCP alone. Enough 3-MeO-PCP lets me pull this trick where, if I'm feeling/perceiving a certain sensory input, I can drop the cage bars on it and "capture" it in my mind, where I can keep poking and prodding it after the stimulus has ceased. I've done this with multiple sense types, but here I'm just talking about vibration. As a source, I've used an actual vibrator on my junk or up my rump, but I can also start with deep bassy music (or just a deep bass tone), or the vibratory hallucinations 3-MeO-PCP itself gives me. Once I have it, I've got it. I can turn off the vibrator or stop the music and keep the vibration going in my mind. Then, I can stretch it and dilate it, speeding it up or slowing it down, until it's just the right frequency and intensity that my entire being surrenders to orgasm.

3meo allows me to enter that "editing mode" that alcohol has allowed me to mess with for most of my life but I can REMEMBER EVERYTHING and my empathy towards humans and nature isn't muted into a dim whisper like when I am drunk. I become my most cosmic and unfiltered self on 3meo, and then I edit the useful parts together and "tone down" my anger, impatience and selfishness

I'm intrigued by the phrase "editing mode". On this 3-MeO-PCP + ketamine binge, one night I decided to see if I can't reprogram myself to permanently disable erections. I'm sure that sounds bizarre to many people, but just roll with it; erections are a big source of dysphoria for me. When I'm maximally comfortable in my body, or being sexually handled by a partner in the perfect way, I'm limp as a wet noodle. Anyway, I put on my dissonaut goggles (a memory-foam sleep mask) and my big furry paws and got under my weighted blanket, which has become my ritual for simulating a bottom-shelf sendep tank. I progressively relaxed my entire body, especially my junk, and kept experiencing the sensation of relaxing another "layer", of unclenching muscles one more stage, deeper and deeper into an astral-anesthetic state. Eventually, I reached a "peak" (really a trough) of relaxation and I feel like I "opened the circuit" and entered the orgasmic state, but it wasn't a burst of pleasure.

Figuratively, an orgasm is usually like a burst of pleasure that forces its way through a constricted passage, which presses itself closed once the burst is through, like when a snake swallows a mouse and you can watch the mouse travel down the snake's body. The duration and intensity of the pulse are the dimensions in which "male orgasms" and "female orgasms" are said to differ (it's true; take it from someone who's had both). This was like a fully open channel. I was in continuous orgasm, and all the cum inside me was released immediately. And I mean all, I felt drained to a degree I hadn't conceived of before. The circuit remained open as long as I sustained it, so I also felt like after the initial release, I was continually cumming at whatever tiny mL/hour rate my body was producing it. Not sure if that's physiologically sound, but that was the sensation.

I've got plenty more to say about this topic, but this whole post wasn't supposed to be about orgasm, whoops, so let's move on.

I pushed the dose pretty high and had something akin to a drunken ayahuasca trip where I saw a billowing black demon of smoke that told me it was a manifestation of the darkest most intimate self serving parts of myself. It then explained if I wished I could "edit" myself on this level so as to have more or less of this darkness when I "returned"

What snagged my attention here is the idea of choosing how much darkness to take back from the trip. It's impossible for me to deny the lasting effects 3-MeO-PCP has had on me, in major identity-related ways (such as above), but in more minor ways too. For example, when I first got my vape mod, I wasn't especially proficient at refilling the tank and would need to set things down on a surface. That is, until I started doing it on 3-MeO-PCP once, and it just clicked. I could suddenly manage to unscrew the tank lid, unscrew the juice lid, tip the juice bottle into the tank and squeeze, then reverse the whole process, while keeping all 3 non-juice-bottle pieces upright the whole time, holding everything in my two hands somehow, without setting anything down, sitting down myself, or even while walking. I was tripping face at a furry convention for 4 straight days at the time, and I didn't even realize I suddenly had this complicated, dextrous ability until afterwards, but at some point along the way I'd not only figured out the exact sequence of fine manipulation but ingrained it so deeply into my brain that I could do it without a second thought.

I'm reminded of something I read once that claimed that, while playing guitar, there is less neuronal activity within a professional guitarist's brain than in that of a novice. The explanation I've been building in my head to help me understand what 3-MeO-PCP does to me is something like this:

If channeled deliberately, 3-MeO-PCP lets me progressively still the turbulence in my mind. First, starting with the shallowest, most superficial/ad hoc layers, like my awareness of where I am at the time, what I'm doing, the surface-level thoughts that flit through your brain moment-to-moment. Next, the layers of junk that's always "in the back of your mind" - things you don't think about all the time, but that your thoughts come back to when you have a quiet moment alone. For me, these are things like the chores I've most recently been putting off, the software functionality I'm currently developing for work, my relationships with the friends I'm most invested in nurturing at the time, my nascent weekend plans, etc. Next is nagging fears and anxieties you carry with you every day. For me, these are like thoughts about my discomfort with my body, insecurity about being a "real" independent adult, guilt about not continuing the web serial I'm still passionate about writing but haven't touched in 3 years, etc.

3-MeO-PCP lets me calm these metaphorical waters in a way that's surprisingly aligned with traditional meditation. Not the think-hard-about-nothing meditation that is the West's common misinterpretation of the phenomenon, but the true kind of meditation that asks nothing of you except patience, waiting on your mind to settle on its own. You just watch these thoughts come up as they will, without fighting them back down or reacting to them. In Alan Watts' words, that's like quieting a pond by beating the surface of the water.

Underneath it all, you've got no activity in your mind except the core machinery that keeps your organism running, the vast majority of which isn't directly accessible to your mind at all. In fact, the truly transcendental realization here for me is that the mind is a tiny component of my organism, and that nothing at all is actually required of it for normal function to continue. With dissociatives in the mix, this is where we can go even further than in sober meditation alone. The perceptual machinery can afford to totally shut down. Your eyes aren't just shut, the uniform blackness visual input is being disregarded and not entering your conscious experience. Your body is in complete autonomic standby; with the knowledge that when the time comes your muscle memory will spring to life and it will be easy to play your limbs again.

With my mind completely empty of everything nonessential - which turns out to be pretty much just-plain-everything - that's where I feel like I can start rewiring my brain to better suit my needs. If I've entered this state deliberately, with a "goal" in mind (like prioritizing taking care of my body's needs or *cough* disabling erections), I've probably kept that goal in a little protected "parcel"/payload on this journey, occupying a tiny fraction of available space while all other activity is settled down until they're unperturbed long enough to fade from awareness. What happens next, I don't know how to explain - some notion of "unpacking" that payload, combined with 3-MeO-PCP's omnipotent mania, lets me make surprising progress in integrating it into the base level of my mind.

As you come out of this state, the more superficial layers of your ego/identity/experience start re-accumulating, and your mind gets re-cluttered with all the minutia and tedium of day-to-day-life. But the changes made to the lowest layers will stay, and will affect how more mental activity gets stacked on top of them.

I think I've made it seem like I'm talking specifically about lying down to meditate to use 3-MeO-PCP to reach these lower layers, but it doesn't have to be so. I wasn't deliberately meditating when my brain figured out the vape juice trick, of course, yet the muscle memory for it is ingrained in me on such a deep level that it was almost uncomfortable that it happened "accidentally". 3-MeO-PCP's affected the way I do various other physical tasks, as well. I carry an everyday bag instead of sticking things in my pockets (which I often don't have -- women's clothing lacking pockets is a racket to sell purses, by the way), and I can retrieve most things from it by muscle memory alone. I can retrieve my pocketbook and get out my debit card, get my pill tower and open it to the correct level and take a pill, fetch my portable battery or notebook or any of my knives of various blade sizes, almost entirely without looking, while still walking or gently balancing on one leg (don't know why I do this, maybe just as a "flex", but it feels good to stretch my body or balance well, and it makes me feel powerful).

Obviously, humans are good at learning muscle memory for repetitive tasks, and I'm not untalented at physical tasking to begin with, but I truly believe practicing these motions in a state of omnipotent calm on 3-MeO-PCP has a lot to do with how good I've become at it. Another component here is ensuring that the conditions are reliably the same, so everything in my bag has a designated spot to avoid fishing for something, my pocketbook has a designated orientation so the cards I use are in the same spot, and returning objects to the right place in the right orientation is part of the muscle memory sequence as well.

I think there's something to be said about the "body schema" machinery that each of us has as well. Give it a google if you haven't heard of it, but it's the canonical representation of your body in your brain. Correct me if I mispeak here, but when you think about or consciously control a certain body part, there's a corresponding part in the brain (not necessarily contiguously connected) that's responsible for interfacing with that body part. The beautiful thing here is that the body schema is fundamentally plastic; it changes to suit your brain's needs based on how your body changes or how your practice of tasking motions is refined. And it's not limited to encoding your representation of your physical body, either! I've heard an anecdote of women in older times, when huge ornate hats were vogue, who had enough instinctual awareness of the weight and dimensions of their hats to subconsciously duck through doorways. I wear a kind of watch that's small, electronic, and waterproof, so that I never have to take it off, and like a piercing, it's integrated into my body schema so thoroughly that I'm wearing it in dreams, and I give my body a "look up the time" command without ever having to think about moving my wrist, eyes, or fingers to press the backlight button. (I think most people who wear a watch reach some level of integration pretty quickly, so it's not that impressive, but it's still a good example).

I believe 3-MeO-PCP excels in tapping into editing this body schema as well. Along with the strict standards I usually hold my bag too, I think 3-MeO-PCP has let me incorporate my bag into my body schema to the degree that I have complete mastery over it the way I do my limbs, I have instinctual access to the way its weight & moment of intertia affect my center of gravity, etc. Aside from the bag, I think this integration can apply to, say, a phone that's well-kept easily accessible enough to become essentially a prosthetic. Another great example is one's car; when you accelerate, brake, signal a turn, etc., you usually don't involve the motions of your body once you're comfortable driving. You don't think about moving your physical body, you just think about moving the car. (No, I don't drive on PCP.)

Something I'm going to try in the future is to use 3-MeO-PCP to make a concerted effort to disable my extremely problematic picking habits. My whole life, I've picked at my body, alternating between my nails, cuticles, lips, and bug bite scabs, depending on the season. I'm really tasty to bugs and I get devoured every summer, then I usually pick at the wounds and keep them from healing until winter comes and my skin isn't exposed through most of the day. Then, I move into fucking with my lips, since they start getting chapped, and depending on other factors I'm probably always picking my fingers until they fucking bleed. It's something I hate about myself so, so much. It makes me feel hideous and gross, and especially the fingers make my life really difficult. It makes using my bag (i.e. living my life) a task I instinctually avoid. If my fingers are raw & bloody it's insanely painful to detangle my hair, so my hair grooming starts suffering for it, and it spirals out to diminish my quality of life in so many ways like that.

I have an adderall prescription, and it's extremely important to me not being a depressed dysfunctional mess, but I often feel myself instinctually avoiding taking it because I know it exacerbates my picking. It's something I've struggled with since I was a young child, but I've never been able to get a grip on it and it seems like the urge never goes away. I want to fix it. I want to really and truly fix it, and I'm starting to think that maybe I can.

An idea I've been toying with is combining 3-MeO-PCP with another drug (call it substance X) to deliberately "integrate" the changes induced by X into my sober, baseline mind, in a permanent fashion. I'm still turning over the possibilities in my mind, but I did this with X = ketamine and it seemed to work pretty well. Ketamine excels in helping me reach a relaxed, natural state where I, the ego, just am the animal machine that I always am, and since my K + 3-MeO-PCP experience I've felt a lot more comfortable in my body. Also, just as something interesting worth noting, I later learned that longterm ketamine use has been correlated with erectile dysfunction 😂 so who knows where that could take me.

So, maybe I will choose a substance that specifically helps me curb my picking urges and that is also safe to combine with 3-MeO-PCP — maybe it could just be more ketamine, because I've definitely been relaxed enough not to pick even when on functional doses of K — and performing the ritual I described above. I'm torn, though — part of me thinks it might work better to use a substances that exacerbates picking. My plan is to try to use the "capturing" trick on the urge to pick, if I can tune into myself enough to isolate it. I'd have to be very careful combining adderall and 3-MeO-PCP, though. Might be best to pick something else.

I'm excited to finally put some of these thoughts out into the world. It's a whole other can of worms that I won't open right now, but I think 3-MeO-PCP played a large role in my clawing my way out from the retail world into the software career I have now. Three years ago, I was scrubbing shit off plastic bins in a pet shop, for a few bucks over minimum wage. Now, I have an actual career I care about that exceeds median US household income, live comfortably alone, take care of my body, living space, & possessions, and am (usually) a lot more responsible about drug use, usually playing a balancing role in tempering the drug use of my friends for greater long-term effect. I'm really sorry if it sounds like I'm just flexing, but I feel truly #blessed to have reached this point after so long wallowing in chronic insecurity, debt, toxic attachment patterns, and my intimidating stack of mental disorder diagnoses. I have a long way to go, and I'm always scared of losing what I have or regressing in my mental progress, but I'm also eager to refine my understanding of how I got here and figure out what components can be isolated and shared.

Anyway, thanks for coming to my TED talk. I realize I've thrown a ton of thoughts out there all at once, but any feedback on these ideas is really appreciated, even if it's just a stray thought or two about a similarity that resonated with your own experience with dissos. I realize I'm playing with fire when I talk about exploiting dissociative neuroplasticity to make permanent changes in my brain, but I'm trying to proceed responsibly. And in case you're wondering, yes, 3-Meo-PCP and adderall were each (separately) involved in the writing of this post.

become.jpg

💙

Thanks for sharing, very interesting to read your experience. I want to say more but I'm too tired right now so I'll just say a few things... feel like I have to think about some points you've raised also.

I find the first quote from vortech very interesting, I know this wasn't really the theme of your post but the apparently irrefutable nature of the Simulation Hypothesis is an insight (whether "true" or not) that I've also experienced on a deep 3-HO-PCP combo... I wonder if the altered worlds of dissociatives might be in some ways more objective from person to person than other psychedelics...

I'll admit though I'm always kind of sceptical of the power of dissociatives to effect lasting positive change, obviously it's worked for you which is great and I'm happy to hear but almost all of them feel deceptive in some way and almost all frequent users eventually give up on them... I would say that the healing/corrective/reprogramming potential that dissociatives have requires walking along the narrowest knife edge of ridges, often with severe emotional instability and psychosis either side.

I can't relate too much to the resolution of gender dysphoria you mention since I'm currently incorporated into a body that appears to be a relatively good fit for my immaterial mind, and I suppose lucky for it, but it's interesting for sure that you're not the first one to mention this effect. I wonder if this to some extent has aided you in, apparently, walking this knife edge effectively? Since it provides, if you'll excuse my perhaps clumsy phrasing, some kind of insight, or keyhole, or initial pathway, or whatever, towards some key aspects of the landscape of your mind that you desire to navigate in order to affect positive change? Whereas many people are sort of stumbling in the dark as far as what exactly they want to change as far as their software code of their consciousness, so to speak, even if they are able to express it in fairly vague linguistic terms... and thus often end up stumbling while walking this dissociative knife edge towards lasting, positive change.

As I say I think I will say more later but would be interested to hear your thoughts on that, thanks again for taking the time to share your experience.

Wow, this is a great post to digest. I meant to reply to it sooner but honestly there is a lot in here. I'll say that I have seen 3-MeO-PCP absolutely destroy a couple of people, or at least contribute to it, while they were 100% convinced it was helping them. So just be careful. I have seen some serious psychosis resulting from chronic usage, though I do not get any of that from your post. Personally I found it to be a deceptive drug.

I would like to say more but I only just read this and I'm digesting it still. I'm happy for you that you've discovered something of yourself with it. :)

I've had my ups and downs with dissociatives and will more thoroughly read this post later, but I figure I should warn you: these drugs are very powerful and seductive tools to some. As you mention it can bring breathtaking meditative experiences, flow states, and "quiets the mind", a sort of mental tabula rasa if you will. Other arylcyclohexylamines also share an unparalelled utility in treating physical pain as well as opioid withdrawal. Strangely enough I also found that low-to-moderate doses are also rather prosexual. (Read into that as you will... I want a T-shirt that says in big letters, "I LIKE TO DO PCP AND FUCK!" :) )

Do note that PCP, as an ansesthetic and a dopaminergic, could in theory exacerbate tics like picking, and due to its sense-blocking nature, you could do some serious damage if not supervised. This is probably much less of a concern than an amphetamine though.

However, elevated-dose experiences should be savored and attempted only under periods of suitable astrological alignment ... and absolutely not on a repeated basis. Use of PCP or its friends as a daily intoxicant can definitely produce a profound mental slowing as well as slurred speech, nystagmus, memory loss, and in extreme cases, erratic behaviour and even prolonged fugue states causing all sorts of trouble.

All in all I am glad to hear you find positive utility in your life from a strange drug indeed.

Thanks for the thoughts, folks.

@Vastness:

That's actually a little crazy that you had the same "realization" (not sure whether you'd say it deserve scare quotes) about the Simulation Hypothesis. I didn't write about it here, but it's something I think about too! I'm never sure where to take my thoughts about it, and honestly it gets a little overwhelming for me to chase it down too far. I'm already sold 100% on Many Worlds from my time chasing down the truth in academia before I started doing drugs, so I'm about 120% over any theory that posits a singular, monadic reality.

I like the extended metaphor of the knife's edge. It's definitely accurate. My disso use worries me a lot, honestly, especially when I get in moods to pursue extended/repeated use while alone. But paradoxically, living alone has helped me temper that a little bit, since I know I have to take my own responsibility and there's no one in my life who would necessarily have access to enough information to intervene unless I knowingly share that info with them.

Recently I seem to be adopting a paradigm of doing a big disso experience on Friday nights, and spending Saturday waking up slowly, tending to my needs, doing online research and writing up my thoughts to facilitate integration of the experience. Exploring this more systematically; making educated choices on how far to push things in what order. But still... weekly use is, objectively, probably still a lot when you do as much as I do. =/

I kind of want to shift gears into another primarily psychedelic-oriented exploratory phase; I still have a good amount of 4-AcO-DMT if it hasn't oxidized too bad & some amounts of various other tryptamines. Or I could just transition into a stimulant phase & focus on grooming the interface between my mind and the external world (career, housekeeping, etc.), but I'm resistant to getting distance from dissociatives because it's been so long since I've been pursuing this...

Or I could just enter a sober phase... 😂

Anyway, about your point about the keyhole. you could be on to something... Certainly, there were a lot of things about my life that I've known needed to change, but the hard part is figuring out where to go. I think I can figure out something to say about how I manage to pathfind my editing.

I've often thought of myself as having an unusually sharp ability to deliberate change myself — my identity, my beliefs, my emotions about a situation, &c. Sometimes I facetiously call it a superpower, but it's honestly been way more of a hindrance towards the beginning of my life. It has a lot to do with a mental condition I have called Borderline Personality Disorder (now recognized as Emotional Instability Disorder). Characterized by extreme interpersonal relationships, toxic attachment patterns, maladaptive coping mechanisms (hello, polyaddiction!), chronic feelings of abandonment (real or imagined), insecurity, black/white thinking; correlates extremely highly with childhood trauma & self-harm.

The relevant bit here is a high prevalence of identity disturbance, "a deficiency or inability to maintain one or more major components of identity. These components include a sense of continuity over time, emotional commitment to representations of self, role relationships, core values and self-standards, development of a meaningful world view, and recognition of one's place in the world. " I suffered from this really, really bad for most of my life. It's still there, but it's a lot less salient now, because pretty much all of the identity I've finally managed to cobble together is deliberately constructed. It trips me up sometimes, thinking thoughts like

• what if I'm only trans because I wanted to grow closer to the trans people I was second-degree-connected to and needed a circle to transition during the 2 more years I spent at college after the rest of my classmates graduated
  • what if I'm only a furry because I found solace in voluntarily joining a persecuted community to fuel my persecution complex when I was 10 years old, homeschooled, and living my entire life online
  • what if I'm only submissive because I know it's hard work being a good dom & I'm too self-centered, narcissistic, and/or lazy to do it myself

and so on and so on and so on... I better stop coming up with examples before I fuck myself too hard here, but the point is, I learned to stop second-guessing my motivations with these things and ruthlessly pursue what works for me. I waffle on whether, when my mind does finally manage to construct a facet of identity like this, it does so differently than other people, or whether I am simply more aware/critical of my motivations than others.

For me, personally, I no longer believe in the metaphor of discovering or uncovering my identity, like it was always there, waiting for my to dig deep enough and take it. I don't know whether other people are really born the way they are, but for me, that is a fiction. It's a beautiful, exquisite fiction that's central to my human experience, and when I decide (consciously or sub-) that it's time to make a change, I know I have to start believing it. I usually try to immediately suppress the realization that I'm following a path that will take me somewhere, and start writing the narrative of self-discovery instead, so the lines get really blurry in my memory.

The part that took me a few too many decades to understand is that the weird, circuitous, self-serving path I've taken to become the clusterfuck of a person I am doesn't devalue the legitimacy of that identity, and that I really and truly am that person, somehow.

After a couple decades in therapy (lol) I've managed most symptoms of BPD pretty well (overcorrecting for the emotional volatility and many other manifestations, really, but that's a separate story). Identity disturbance is something I started to be able to consciously leverage before I started doing drugs, so once I started to really understand dissociatives, it felt like a god damn cheat code. It's only within my more recent forays that I felt like I've been doing it responsibly.

Wow, this reply ended up being really long too. Wouldn't you know it, oversharing is a dead ringer hallmark of BPD. One of the reasons I avoid joining discussion forums nowadays is because I always feel like I have way too much too say & I know I can be... extra; it's hard for me to turn the faucet to drip without releasing the full waterworks.

@Xorkoth:

Thanks! I'm actually really curious to learn about dissociative psychosis, especially mid-/long-term psychoses that are constructed & maintained through chronic use. Do you know where to find any accounts of what you're mentioning? I won't start any replication experiments, I promise! Well... probably. XD

I've given a lot of thought to the uncanny similarities between schizophrenic episodes and dissociative trips. Actually, there may or may not have been a phase of my life where I spent 6 months trying to figure out whether dissociatives were drawing out onset schizophrenia or merely replicating the symptoms... (it seems to have been the latter). That's not as serious as it sounds; retrospectively, I think I was mostly overreacting. I think I was uncovering legitimate but novel parallels, and it was causing cognitive dissonance with the narrative we're fed about how "drugs can't make you crazy, they can only precipitate existing crazy" — LSD, maybe, sure, but not all drug effects are so fleeting as psychedelics'. This was before I really understood how different dissociatives are in having lasting neuroplastic effects with chronic use.

I often wonder how different persistent, elaborate psychosis is from just persistent, elaborate belief systems, mechanically speaking. The line is fine, and I wonder whether it's drawn essentially along the boundary of consensus reality, e.g. the primary difference isn't "how" you believe something, just that what you believe is crazy! However, I know there's usually plenty of denial, cherry-picking, &c. entailed, so idk. There's this paper I skimmed recently that outlined a separate formal logic that can model the logical leaps schizophrenic people make in support of their psychoses — can't remember what it was called, but it was a trip.

@sekio:

I'd buy that shirt (and wear it in private).

I'm trying to settle into a more sustainable use schedule, but it's so hard when I get a taste of the power. Can you elaborate what you mean by "suitable astrological alignment"? I've become quite curious about that sort of cognitive framework recently!

prey, I'm loving what you're sharing here. I have two things to share in response to this last post besides my appreciation.

1) The logic that you're describing regarding identity and the question of whether it is artificially created, in this case socially/culturally, sounds very reminiscent of the realizations that occur at the 4.0/Green stages of ego development (4.0 is O'Fallon's STAGES model, Green is the color used by both Spiral Dynamics and Wilber's Integral Theory for said corresponding stage). It could be fruitful to read about that stage of ego development and what occurs there. The realization of the social matrix and externally conditioned and created self is a key marker of this stage of ego development. The search for a deeper identity or meaning behind identity is a process that leads to the next stage. If you can't find adequate information on this, PM me.

2) If you don't know the typology system the Enneagram, you should check it out. A few statements you made here sound like you're a Type 4. Finding out my enneagram type has been a massive help in characterizing my deeper patterned ways of being.