24 years old... Seriously considering giving up psychoactives completely.

Jimmy_Pop

Bluelighter
Hey everyone.

This is my first real post on this forum (aside from my newbie introduction thread), so excuse me if this is the wrong sub-forum for this topic.

Okay, soooo.

Where to begin...

I guess I'll start at the end: I'm 24 years old, I just finished college (literally wrote my last exam a week ago), I have started a business and am beginning to do quite well with it, I've moved out of my parents' place and am renting an apartment for the first time in my life... And I'm addicted to booze and stimulants.

Now, the being addicted to booze and stimulants thing is nothing new (I've had both addictions for more than 5 years on and off).

However, the whole "holy shit I'm actually responsible for taking care of myself now" is new.

I was fortunate enough to grow up in a town with a pretty decent college, so after I graduated HS, I never left my parents' place and did the whole college res experience thing. I just stayed in my folks' basement and paid my way through school by working mindless jobs at call centers, electronics stores, etc.

On the surface, that might seem like a good thing. And in many ways, it was (it did allow me to save money at a time when many people go deeply into debt).

However, it had one very negative effect: leaving me with enough money to buy tons of booze and coke, while making me feel secure enough to not care about being addicted.

I'm going to spare you the whole story of how I got addicted to booze, because my experience with that was pretty much typical (high school, drinking with friends, gradually drinking more often and by myself, etc). But I'll sum up the stimulant part of the story very briefly. I got put on ritalin at a young age, and not long after being prescribed, started using my pills recreationally. I really liked the buzz, and that made me curious about coke. It took me a while, but eventually I did find some coke, and almost instantly, fell in love with the drug. My use of ritalin and coke grew to the point where I was snorting ritalin about 5 days a week and using coke once a week (gram and a half typically, spread out over 2 hours or so). That's pretty much where I'm at now. Oh, and I also combine the coke with booze, and get drunk twice a week outside that one "special night" I have every week combining booze and coke.

So... booze 2-3 nights a week, ritalin 5 days a week, coke 1 night a week.

So as you can see, not exactly the healtiest lifestyle I have going on here.

And yet strangely, none of this even really bothered me while I was in college. I never had any bills to pay and I didn't really put much thought into what I was doing and the long term effects my behavior would eventually have.

It's only now that I've actually got an apartment, and have bills to pay, that I'm starting to worry.

Being self employed, I can't really afford to spend as much time recovering from hangovers as I could when I worked jobs. There is no possibility of just sleepwalking my way through a day half-assedly. Every minute spent working on a project has to count; if it doesn't, I'll just have to do the same work over again later. So, when I have a really bad hangover, I'll sometimes "lose" half a day or so of work, and make less money than I could potentially make. That, of course, affects my ability to pay my bills.

So my drug habits do a double dose of damage to me financially: one, they keep me from making as much money as I could; and two, they make me waste the money I do make (I'm spending about 300 a week on booze + coke these days, ritalin's covered by insurance).

Now I know what the answer is here:

"Get off the booze, coke and ritalin."

Well, I understand that, and I'm fully prepared to tackle these problems head on. I smoked cigarettes for 8 years (including about 4 years of pack-a-day use), and when the time came, I quit that shit no problem.

The thing is though, booze and stimulants are more complex, psychologically, than cigarettes. People go on and on about how hard it is to quit smoking, but the truth is, once you really think hard about how the whole thing gives you no pleasure anymore and just makes you feel shitty, the *DECISION* to quit is fucking easy. It's just a matter of putting up with the withdrawal pangs for a week or so.

With booze and uppers, it seems like the question is different. I actually do get SOME benefits from them. Booze DOES help me socialize, and so does coke. Ritalin does help me focus on work a bit. And they all do give me a bit of brief pleasure, even if the shitty aftereffects last way longer. PLUS, a lot of my friendships are built around these things; if I gave them up completely, I'd have nothing to really do with my current friends. So quitting these "pleasure drugs" isn't a straightforward decision like quitting smoking, because there actually are real plusses associated with them.

So basically, the question I'm wrestling with is this:

Should I try to shake my three major addictions completely, and become completely clean; or, should I just try to get my use under control, continuing to use, but less so than I do now?

Okay, actually, when it comes to the coke, there's really no question: I need to cut that shit out.

But booze is different. I feel like being able to get drunk once or twice a week improves my social life. I feel like I'd be losing a certain social plus if I gave it up totally.

Also, I'm really not sure what to do about my ritalin use. It helps me work in the morning, but man, the hangover sucks, and just keeps getting worse. This is something I feel I should quit entirely, but maybe not just yet.

Okay, so this has been a pretty long and disorganized post, but I guess, to sum up, I'll ask this question:

What do you think is better, being completely clean 100% of the time, or being mostly clean, but drinking and using drugs selectively to improve social situations and to concentrate better at work?

If you were in my position, would you give all these habits up entirely, or just cut back significantly? Do you think my assessment of these addictions (that, unlike nicotine, they do carry some significant benefits) is fair, or delusional?

Uhhh okay that was a pretty rambling post, I'm actually a little strung out right now as I type this...

Anyway, throw in your two cents, if you feel you understand basically what I'm asking here....

I used to just go crazy on drugs, that is, use as much as i wanted whenever i wanted but eventually the downsides will catch up and your tolerance will keep you from getting high, i think if you have the constitution for it you should evaluate what each drugs pros and cons are then make up some rules for yourself and stick with them. For instance methylphenidate only on days that you work, drinking only when you are out with friends etc. theres a time and place for everything.

Last edited:
Try thinking about that "Shit that was a lot of money down the drain" feeling thats sure to happen when you come down, suprisingly that was a big help when I quit doing blow. Maybe try tapering down a little at a time instead of cold turkey, thats just my thoughts.

As someone that used all sorts of substances years ago and gave them all up for way more years, I can guarantee that you will not lose your social life. If it changes to accommodate your new drunk-free lifestyle, then it will change. Ironically sometimes it is one person in a group that sets off a chain reaction for changes like this. I know lots of people in their mid twenties right now that are in that transition.

as far as fooling yourself about the relative benefits of what you feel addicted to--addiction is the key word here. I know ritalin would help me work--it helps everybody! But it can lead to serious depression after a while and that is not worth it IMO. If you feel capable of seriously cutting back, then try that. You will see soon enough if that can work for you or not. My fear would be that you will go from a place where you are able to look clearly at your addiction to one in which you rationalize, make excuses etc and can no longer even see where you are. From that standpoint, I would say, tackle them all; find other means to achieve what you now say you get from them.

Of course it varies person to person, but on the larger spectrum, nicotine is MUCH more addictive than stimulants or alcohol. If you conquered that addiction you wil conquer these too. Good luck.

How could you handle the Ritalin comedown?
I just couldn't handle it... the feeling of having nothing, almost suicidal.
Just terrible terrible terrible!

I did love Ritalin though! 3-4 hours of feelign pretty confident, doing whatever you want to do, and actually doing it. Talking!

Im pretty much in the same boat as you, except my use is a bit less frequent. I thank anybody that tells you to just quit it all completely doesnt really know how hard that might be when considering everything like withdrawals and more so the social impact.

I have decided that id rather at least start of controlling and reducing usage and I have also ordered some Kratom to use instead of illegal more harmful stims.

My problem is that i have a business that pretty much runs itself and the boredom often results results in bad decisions.
I dont really want to stop drug use completely but if i could perhaps replace one evil with a lesser one, that may be a step in the right direction.

I wish i could enjoy weed (all it does is make me a paranoid mess) cause that would be the perfect thing to do instead whenever i was craving stims. Its unfortunate bit im hoping therapeutic Kratom use will help me out.

I also know exactly what you mean about having excess money resulting in far to much drug use, its dangerous.

You know it's all fun and games as long as you have some control but with things like alcohol you're playing with fire. There's nothing in alcohol that makes you more social or confident. it is already in you. I don't think your use is that much or that bad but if a negative event occurs and you say you are "addicted", then a downward spiral is inevitable. When THAT happens, it is EXTREMELY HARD to get out. You should get out of the trap SOONER than later. Please trust me on that one thing: you've entered a trap if you feel you are indeed addicted. There is nothing to control. You have already lost it and it will only get worse is you keep using since it will reinforce your social connection. Alcohol has conned you. Your feedback loops have short circuited. You're associating an activity you enjoy with an activity you don't necessarily enjoy but you feel lets you enjoy the other activity. (If you did enjoy drinking alcohol, drink it pure. Not anyone I know drinks 100% ethanol.) This is a dangerous position to be in. Every time you use alcohol, whether you like it or not, you're connecting social enjoyment to alcohol use. That's bad. Remove the habituation and you'll be better off...

^wtf are you babbling on about? "if you enjoy alcohol, drink it pure" is a one way trip to death or hospital. plus, a lot of people enjoy alcoholic drinks for the taste. OP it may seem pretty bad to you, but alcohol 2-3 nights a week, cocaine 1 night a week seems to me like you have a pretty good handle on things, to me addiction is an all the time thing, or no self control, friends i'd consider "alcoholic" drink a lot every day, friends i'd consider "cokeheads" spend £300 a weekend on coke when they said they'd just do a gram. not trying to devalue your situation, just maybe give you some hope you've got a better handle on it than most and therefore have it within you to get your use to a level you find acceptable, and if that is total abstinence just go for it!

^wtf are you babbling on about? "if you enjoy alcohol, drink it pure" is a one way trip to death or hospital. plus, a lot of people enjoy alcoholic drinks for the taste. OP it may seem pretty bad to you, but alcohol 2-3 nights a week, cocaine 1 night a week seems to me like you have a pretty good handle on things, to me addiction is an all the time thing, or no self control, friends i'd consider "alcoholic" drink a lot every day, friends i'd consider "cokeheads" spend £300 a weekend on coke when they said they'd just do a gram. not trying to devalue your situation, just maybe give you some hope you've got a better handle on it than most and therefore have it within you to get your use to a level you find acceptable, and if that is total abstinence just go for it!

And who are you to determine what someone else is or isn't comfortable with? How do you not know that your friends are examples of people that are very deep into dependency?

Leaving college can be a dangerous time for many. I know my use picked back up right before I graduated (took me a few attempts to finish, wasn't ready till I was in my 20s). Basically I told myself "Look man, you have done so damn well with your classes. You are nowhere near "as bad" with your drug use, you deserve a reward." Basically, for the three serious years of college (I took huge course loads and went in the summer) I "only" drank and smoked weed. Looking back on it, a person shouldn't have to drink alcohol and smoke weed in order to fall asleep. Now, I have always had serious sleep issues, but, using non prescribed drugs is not the way to deal with it. I then ordered a box of pods, which is something I hadn't done in years. Thus began a several year fling with them (as well as other opiates). Was not good.

My suggestion to you is to try to attempt to setup a time in which you use nothing and see if you can do it. If you slip up once or twice during that time, note it, but do not beat yourself up over it. Obviously, having a beer or two isn't as serious as going and getting hammered and blowing through a ball or something. When I would do this, I would do okay for awhile, slip up and then tell myself "well see.. you cannot do it... might as well use". I really wish I would have stuck too it during these times.

If you really struggle to meet this goal, then you might have a very serious issue.