• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

21 year old male with acne and a receding hair line!

PepperSocks

Bluelight Crew
Okay, here goes. All through puberty I had nice, clean skin, but in the last 2-3 years I've definitely acquired a case of acne and I'm going bald.

I definitely feel kinda stressed, anxious, and horny. No doubt I have a lot of androgen output. I have started a nootropic stack to get my thoughts and emotions running more efficiently and I feel it is working. It seems to have nice anti-anxiety/anti-depressant effect.

My next thing is getting my physical unpleasantness's cleared up. I've been taking Vitamins A, E, B complex, C, fish oils and a multivit/mineral. I've also started taking a synergistic zinc supplement as I've read it has DHT inhibiting properties. I'm also going to start washing my face with some lemon juice at night.

I do try to eat well. My appetite isn't exactly big. I'm quite the ectomorph, but I always have been, it's just how I am. I'm thinking of starting a whey protein supplement to help out in that department. I eat when I'm hungry and don't eat when I'm full. I'm quite high strung mentally, my mind is always going a mile a minute. I have this intuition that my stress is what's causing my baldness and am hoping that my hairline will come back forward once the stress is gone (ie When I get together with the love of my life and start getting laid). For the time being when I'm in the shower, after I shampoo my hair, there is definitely some decent shedding going on. :\

Edit: Thought I should mention I'm not too intersted in going into the pharmaceutical side of things. No chemical 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors for baldness or antibiotics for acne. I'd like to keep this on the supplement side of things. I've tried Saw Palmetto in the past but it didn't work at all. I wasn't using any of the stuff I am now though. Maybe it's more effective when zinc's used in combination?

Last edited:
Aloe vera and tea tree oil should help the acne. Jojoba oil does too, I think (or at least it makes your skin nice).

As for the baldness, all I know of (and do not know much about baldness) is reducing stress. You say your mind goes a mile a minute, so I suggest you mediate. Try to stop your mind completely (except for breathing, but try to get past the point of focusing on it) without falling asleep.

Okay, here goes. All through puberty I had nice, clean skin, but in the last 2-3 years I've definitely acquired a case of acne and I'm going bald.

I definitely feel kinda stressed, anxious, and horny. No doubt I have a lot of androgen output. I have started a nootropic stack to get my thoughts and emotions running more efficiently and I feel it is working. It seems to have nice anti-anxiety/anti-depressant effect.

My next thing is getting my physical unpleasantness's cleared up. I've been taking Vitamins A, E, B complex, C, fish oils and a multivit/mineral. I've also started taking a synergistic zinc supplement as I've read it has DHT inhibiting properties. I'm also going to start washing my face with some lemon juice at night.

I do try to eat well. My appetite isn't exactly big. I'm quite the ectomorph, but I always have been, it's just how I am. I'm thinking of starting a whey protein supplement to help out in that department. I eat when I'm hungry and don't eat when I'm full. I'm quite high strung mentally, my mind is always going a mile a minute. I have this intuition that my stress is what's causing my baldness and am hoping that my hairline will come back forward once the stress is gone (ie When I get together with the love of my life and start getting laid). For the time being when I'm in the shower, after I shampoo my hair, there is definitely some decent shedding going on. :\

Edit: Thought I should mention I'm not too intersted in going into the pharmaceutical side of things. No chemical 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors for baldness or antibiotics for acne. I'd like to keep this on the supplement side of things. I've tried Saw Palmetto in the past but it didn't work at all. I wasn't using any of the stuff I am now though. Maybe it's more effective when zinc's used in combination?

Well, Roacutane tends to help the acne-but you said you don't want meds.
So much for that suggestion!

Most def., higher amounts of testosterone and additional stress double up your problems. Some mild solution of hydrogen peroxide may mildly dry your acne, but it can also dry up the surface of your skin and create a vicious circle, like building the oil under the surface, hence agrevate it.

The losing of your hair, is part of access testosterone, and if it continues for long, you may not get a replacement of it.
Some relaxation such as Tai Chi, deep massages, meditation, might assist your stress levels, and especially trying to massage the scalp so that the cranial muscles do not constric the follicles might give some assistance.
Go have your hormones checked to see how far out balanced they are.
You might just outgrow this. :\ Vitamin A assists!

You for sure need some raw plant foods, i recommend dark leafy greens (especially kale) and plenty of juicy fruits. Try to incorporate as much raw plant food as you can in your diet and you'll for sure notice a difference. Also cut out most if not all of those supplements, most are bullshit and some might even be poison for your body

I have this intuition that my stress is what's causing my baldness and am hoping that my hairline will come back forward once the stress is gone (ie When I get together with the love of my life and start getting laid). For the time being when I'm in the shower, after I shampoo my hair, there is definitely some decent shedding going on. :\

I have never heard of balding being reversed. Once the follicle dies it is dead as far as I'm aware. All you can do is prevent it from progressing. There are proven effective medications which will acheive this. Why don't you want to take medication? Andogenic alopecia drugs are highly selective, safe and very well tolerated. Very few people experience side effects and those that do are mild and not life threatening. You should go to your doctor and he will answer any queries you may have.

I've also started taking a synergistic zinc supplement as I've read it has DHT inhibiting properties
No chemical 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors for baldness or antibiotics for acne.

Why is a compound that MAY have 5a-rI properties better than one that definately does? Have you got a prejudice against pharmaceutically developed, evidence based medicines?

Last edited:
No, I don't necessarily. I'm quite fond of my synthetic psychedelics. I've just read lots about sexual and hormonal side effects that I'd like to avoid. I'm all for pharmaceuticals but I guess I just don't want to screw around with my hormones in such a forceful manner. To reduce baldness I guess messing with hormones is what's required though.

Baldness does run in my family but it sure doesn't start this young. My dad started going bald in his late 40s, not early 20s. :\

I didn't know doctors could run tests to check hormonal balance (which is silly, they can test for the quantity of pretty much anything in the body), I'll look into that.

Edit: From Wikipedia (this made me feel better):

Evolutionary theories of Male Pattern Baldness

One theory, advanced by Muscarella and Cunningham[4], suggests baldness evolved in males through sexual selection as an enhanced signal of aging and social maturity, whereby aggression and risk-taking decrease and nurturing behaviours increase. This may have conveyed a male with enhanced social status but reduced physical threat, which could enhance ability to secure reproductive partners and raise offspring to adulthood.

In a study by Muscarella and Cunnhingham [4], males and females viewed 6 male models with different levels of facial hair (beard and mustache or none) and cranial hair (full head of hair, receding and bald). Participants rated each combination on 32 adjectives related to social perceptions. Males with facial hair and those with bald or receding hair were rated as being older than those who were clean-shaven or had a full head of hair. Beards and a full head of hair were seen as being more aggressive and less socially mature, and baldness was associated with more social maturity. A review of social perceptions of male pattern baldness has been provided by Henss (2001) [5] .

The assertion that male pattern baldness is intended to convey a social message is supported by the fact that pattern baldness is also common in other primates, and is often used to convey increased status and maturity. Gorillas evolved anatomically enlarged foreheads for this reason. This suggests that baldness could have evolved to enhance the apparent size of the forehead, and increase the area of the face to be displayed. It should also be noted that most ancestry primates had a shorter life-span, and as baldness usually occurs at a later stage in life, baldness could have been a sign of survival and longevity. Premature baldness could also have evolved in younger males to convey this message, which correlates with studies suggesting men with bald or receding hairlines were rated as older than those with a full head of hair.

=D

Last edited:
You may want to try Rogaine if it is in fact male pattern baldness.

Actually, the follicle doesn't die, it miniaturizes. The hair is still there and continues to grow, except it is extremely fine, like a short white fuzz.

Proscar or finesteride has been known to reverse male pattern baldness. Know a few guys in bodybuilding comps, who began to bald early from aas use and the proscar treatment was 100% successful.

try incorporating lots of raw fruits and vegetables, and cut the vitamin supplementation out (except omega-3). Jojoba is great for the face.

Stop obsessing over your hair. The more you rub it and touch it, the more you will aggrevate it.

Maybe lifting weights will suck up some of that extra testosterone?

I've been eating more veggies. Also started taking a whey protein supplement and am going to exercise more.

I've also been using a pyritione zinc shampoo (usually used for dandruff) and the last few times I've showered I've noticed less shedding, so this is a good sign.

Just wondering, Why is everyone saying to cut out the vitamin supplementation?

^If you eat enough fruits and veggies, you don't need it. In fact, it is fairly easy to get TO many vitamins and minerals. This is especially true for vitamin A. So at least drop the vit complex and stick with only the multi...and not even every day.

Thanks guys. I am going to stay away from chemical DHT inhibitors. I'm just eating well and taking some supplements but not overdoing it. Zinc is supposedly good for acne and balding and I am taking it and so far my skin is getting cleaner. Still some shedding of the hair but it's also reducing. :)

I've been eating more veggies. Also started taking a whey protein supplement and am going to exercise more.

I've also been using a pyritione zinc shampoo (usually used for dandruff) and the last few times I've showered I've noticed less shedding, so this is a good sign.

Just wondering, Why is everyone saying to cut out the vitamin supplementation?

You're on the right track...Quit overanalyzing your MPB and skin problems by looking at the scientific and hormonal side of things...It's gonna stress you the fuck out even more if you continue to question if your pcyp564 enzyme is low because of environment yada yada yada....

Exercise and nutrition are the biggest factors here..Fish oil and zinc supplements may also help but are just meant to supplement a nutrient lacking diet....

Try a Benzoyl Peroxide face mask/wash as it has been the most effective for me...as far as the balding THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO!!!!!

My hairline started to receeed at 20 years old and I use to be self conscious about it until i noticed that everyone else was going bald too...most women don't care...

Yeah, I just have the cutouts above the temples on both sides of my head and they're getting bigger. I'll just watch my diet and go with the flow...

Yeah, I just have the cutouts above the temples on both sides of my head and they're getting bigger. I'll just watch my diet and go with the flow...

Temporal balding..I have that too...I'm 23 now and it hasn't really gotten worse since i first noticed it.

for acne and general skin toning, check out jojoba oil. (as already mentioned)

Please do your own research on the following tried and true remedies for acne:

Hydrogen Peroxide applied topically - funny that a natural disinfectant would work here, huh? :)

Apple Cider Vinegar taken internally - two teaspoons in glass of warm, pure/distilled water. note: ACV must be naturally fermented, organic, non-distilled and unpasturized

Hair loss is hair loss and not much can be done about that one. Perhaps rebalancing yourself internally will aid in these external mal-manifestations.