• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

2000 Dodge Dakota,Sell,Keep,or Trade?

Pariahprose

Bluelighter
Ok, so I have a 2000 2X2 Dodge Dakota with the biggest V6 they make...it has over 200,000 miles on it an is finally paid off.It had most of those miles when I bought it bc my credit wasnt good enough to get anything better X.x My question is should I sell or trade it? Or just drive the hell out of it till it no longer runs?

Keep; make sure you have insurance

sorry Cap I just loled when I saw you say that, nothing negative its just so apropos for you to give that advice.

And OP, I'd suggest having an experienced mechanic take a look at it.

You wouldn't ask a guy who owns a subscription to Men's Health whether you should get surgery or not would you?

There are people who give advice on stuff like this for a living, and for anything that would need to be physically looked at to give you a definitive answer, the Internet is not your ideal medium to answer that question.

I will never understand the urge to get right back into debt after just getting out of it.

Ya,Im gonna have insurance on it and everything...insurance will actually go down now that its paid off,well,thats if I change from Full Coverage(which I had to have while still paying on it) to just Liability....

in isolation, nobody can really answer the question. do you need a car? then keep it. do you need the money more than you need a car? then sell it. do you need a more reliable car? then try to sell it and if you can't trade it.

why is this such a hard question to answer yourself?

alasdair

If you want the most value- sell it yourself.
If you want a better car (one that you may qualify for now)- trade it in while your car is still worth something. (200,000 miles is a lot)
If you want to run it into the ground- be prepared to start from scratch.

You said that you want to switch from full coverage to liability. This is by far the dumbest thing you can do.
If you get into an accident, at least you will get reimbursed for the value of the car (granted that it's totaled). Well, even if it's not totaled, you would only have to pay the deductible if you needed work on it, which usually isn't cheap. If you have liability- YOU WILL GET NOTHING.

In my lifetime- I let my insurance lapse on 2 separate occasions- for a week's time, both times.
Sure as shit, both times I got into an accident.
The first time it was my fault, the second time it was someone else's.

That doesn't really apply to you- but I guess this is my point-
You pay out the ass for something (full coverage) and you think it's a waste because you don't get in an accident, so you decide, shit, well I may as well just get liability. And that's when something happens. Murphey's Law is notorious for shit like this.
Just shell out the extra couple bucks (for full insurance) because it's worth it.

Does it have any major problems right now? If not, I'd say keep driving it till you can't anymore! That's a nice truck, I've heard of people getting 300,000 miles out of em. Save that money you would have used to buy another car and keep saving till you really need one... then you can get something really nice