• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

11 years of using . am I done ?

DrinksWithEvil

Bluelighter
I've used since I was 18. I'm 29 now. Ive been homeless numerous times in skid row and Hawaii I've been locked up many times I've contracted hep c. I have absolutely nothing to show for. I'm 29 with nothing I'm in sober living and my rent is paid by insurance I have 5 months left on insurance

I'm a chronic relapser I always think Myself into thinking that its still fun to use still and every time I prove myself wrong.being in my 15th rhab and almost 30 I'm kinda at a turning point I either get clean or die. Family is done with me.

Im trying to stay positive and work the steps I enjoy going to meetings and I know they work . its just a matter of me following direction and practicing contrary action.

I don't know what I'm getting at here. I'm only 15 days sober. Its different this time though . ya using still appeals to me but the wise me is saying fuck that this time

Anyways ....ramble on

Dew you simply need some direction, a goal or vision that is more appealing than dope.

School seems too big a stretch for you ATM, so I'm suggesting a trade or job that keeps you occupied and gives you little time to get into trouble. Try and find something that forces you to rise with the sun and collapse at the end of the day too exhausted to chase a high.

You are a smart guy, and I know it is easier said than done, but you really need to grow up. Best of luck brother

You can't worry about the past, you only have control over the choices you make today and in the future. Opiates are a very, very hard addiction to over come. I myself am sitting here day two cold turkey. Just know you are not alone. The advice in the post above was solid.
Good luck to you.

Dew you simply need some direction, a goal or vision that is more appealing than dope.

School seems too big a stretch for you ATM, so I'm suggesting a trade or job that keeps you occupied and gives you little time to get into trouble. Try and find something that forces you to rise with the sun and collapse at the end of the day too exhausted to chase a high.

You are a smart guy, and I know it is easier said than done, but you really need to grow up. Best of luck brother

Exactly what i want
I had that a few months ago then I met a girl

Thanks ruby ! Stay strong

Yes capt I do

Do you have plans to go back to school, or find a job? You have to find something to engage in every day that isn't drug related. It doesn't have to be school or work, but for a lot of us it does mean exactly that.

i'm 29 too, started using when I was 12, doing pretty good 2 months yesterday.

dew: You have to want to stay clean. Then once the desire is there, work incredibly hard to do so.

I have to say that having your recovery based on a gf is not necessarily a good thing. Things can cool down, hearts change. Do you have any creative pursuits?

The girl is in prison we aren't together

Had some really bad using dreams like robbing people and pawning jrwlery for drugs woke up happy I wasn't living like that anymore

I can sing

You can do it, stay busy - try therapy, out-patient, or AA/NA meetings.
I was using for 8 years, now I'm over a month clean and doing a lot better!
I have relapsed over 1000 times, but this time is different.
I'm tired of going to prison, overdosing, and ruin relationships.

You got this my friend, much love to you!

I'm 37 after starting on drugs since 18 and I'm only just getting the hang of being clean now. My incentive is my beautiful children, if I don't sort my shit out now they'll be taken away from me. I don't like to think myself a selfish person, my real clean self has time for anyone in trouble. Drugs will erase that positive life quality of mine.

Here's an interesting fact -

Certain scientists put a rat in a cage with nothing but 2 water bottles. One was nothing but water, the other spiked with cocaine. Every rat put in that cage became a coke addict.

Then, they flipped the experiment on its head. They created 'rat heaven'. This home had toys, rat games, food, rat ladies and everything your common-or-garden rat might want. And would you believe it - Almost no rat chose the coke laced bottle.

Improve your life, it's going to be that much easier to stay clean.

I'm 37 after starting on drugs since 18 and I'm only just getting the hang of being clean now. My incentive is my beautiful children, if I don't sort my shit out now they'll be taken away from me. I don't like to think myself a selfish person, my real clean self has time for anyone in trouble. Drugs will erase that positive life quality of mine.

Here's an interesting fact -

Certain scientists put a rat in a cage with nothing but 2 water bottles. One was nothing but water, the other spiked with cocaine. Every rat put in that cage became a coke addict.

Then, they flipped the experiment on its head. They created 'rat heaven'. This home had toys, rat games, food, rat ladies and everything your common-or-garden rat might want. And would you believe it - Almost no rat chose the coke laced bottle.

Improve your life, it's going to be that much easier to stay clean.

This is true. If you have something to do, somewhere to sleep, and something to love, you will do fine.

Part of recovery is knowing your limitations. Recognize the behaviors you want to change as they happen and then find reasonable ways to change them. Addicts are generally impulsive people. Acting on impulse will get you in trouble...take time to think things through. You can do it man.