• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

100% pure Psyllium

Akoto

Bluelighter
I have on-going problems with constipation due to a medication I'm on. I've used metamucil before without any problems, but it's so expensive. So I went to the health food store and got some of the pure stuff. I've used it probably a 1/2 dozen times without any real problems.

The other day, however, I took 1 heaping tablespoon of the stuff, had a nice crap 10 minutes later, but the next day I was so unbelievably constipated I couldn't even move. I waddled my way to the pharmacy and got some laxatives and it's all good now, I just want to know what the hell happened.

Did I just take too much?

Diet and exercise?

Diet is a given, avoid foods that aren't good for you personally, etc.

I've found that core workouts are great for helping your body stay regular. I know I'm not the only one that loves a good poop after hot yoga.

I bike 1-2h+ a day and my diet is pretty good (been seeing a dietician)

I bike 1-2h+ a day and my diet is pretty good (been seeing a dietician)
I ride alot, and don't feel it works the core very well, and it puts in a position that bunches the gut up rather than allowing it to relax and move freely.

There shouldn't be any problem with the healthfood store Psyllium, its the same shit as metamucile, just a different label.

Do you use fiber regularly, or as needed?

I eat a huge salad with a lot of celery a day. Really the constipation I can live with, I just want to know why it went so bad with the psyllium

It could be that you were more dehydrated than usual. Psylium can have that clogging effect when it isn't taken with enough water or your fluid reserves are low.