• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc 10 weeks off short term use of Gabapentin

Thanks man.

As far as going back on the pills, that is something I am considering but have my apprehensions about. The pills caused problems real fast for me the first time (first psychological like depression and anger then physical like nerve pain, shakes and weight gain). They also didn't really provide a whole lot of relief when I was taking them to combat this withdrawal, so I think I would need to reinstate high.

But I don't wanna live like this anymore. My main problems are severe anxiety, some speech and cognitive issues, rapid heartbeat, nerve pain and a "divided" feeling on my body that comes and goes (right side is more ticklish and sensitive), some lingering de realization, hair loss, and a sensitive CNS to booze. The only things that HAVE NOT made any type of improvement seem to be the anxiety, hair loss, and CNS sensitivity.

I'm going away this weekend with a bunch of friends and I'm not even excited. I just don't give a fuck about anything. This is my first trip in one year and I'm miserable.

The one thing I don't get is; how is this still going on after 7 weeks of use?

I'm scared my situation will never resolve like Toz.

That's why you might need to reinstate and taper slow. If it makes you feel better then why put yourself through hell? If you taper slow it will be relatively painless and you won't go through everything you just went through again. The type of dependency this stuff causes is fucked up and it might be your only way regardless of what side effects it causes.

I wonder if going back on would wipe out whatever progress I've made. Im also worried I'll be worse if I go back on. I also have no clue what dose to taper down from or how to schedule the taper.

I fucking hate my life

Would taking one fuck my progress up thus far? Is it like benzos where an extra dose during withdrawal can mess you up?

No not at all. Like I said, I know it's counter-intuitive but it might be your only shot at beating this thing. Taking one will make an insignificant difference when we are talking about an affliction that could take over a year recover from. It's just fucked up shit blue, I know you think you will wipe out all your progress but it doesn't work like that. You should obviously start with the lowest dose you can and work your way up until the withdrawal dissipates then taper at 10% a month. The next cut will be 10% of the last dosage not the original dosage. You will probably need a much lower dose since it has been so long. I know it's scary, and I can fully relate to not knowing what to do, I am there a lot with these fucking pills too but just to see if it helps just try it. Try it today if you can, right now. If you taper slow enough you should barely be able to feel the withdrawal and you will be free. Most people try and taper too fast and jump off from too high of a dosage which causes these problems in the first place. The longer you wait, the less likely reinstatement will work. I am just scared for you that you won't improve if you don't. The time you spend waiting is time you could be spending making actual progress. I know this shit doesn't make any sense but other people have had a lot of success by doing that.

Even Toz was able to stabilize after two years you should be able to as well. If you taper slow enough and jump off from a minuscule dosage you can actually get your sanity back.

It's a hairy predicament, I'm in way over my fucking head too, have been for a long time. I'm here for you man, I know it is very scary.

I am away for the weekend plus I don't have any gabapentin. I would need to find a doctor to write me a script.

I'm real scared about going back on. These pills were a horror when I was on them. I just keep remembering the depression, interdose withdrawals, weight gain, and all the pain!

I've never really been able to taper anything either. Couldn't handle a taper from Valium or Ambien nor could I do it for gabapentin. I'm afraid going back on May lead to permanent reinstatement. I'm real worried that my mental health will diminished if I go back up.

This is a tough choice that I'm gonna have to think about. I don't get how I'm doing worse now. I appreciate your input on this jammin.

Well keep me posted I know it's a tough call. You need a mg scale to do it right. I've always cold turkeyd almost everything but these types of pills you have no choice and if you do it right should be more bearable than what you are going through now.

As a side note I got worse and better too. It was about 3 week cycles maybe a little more or less but it improved last week some. My last low spot was really low and one of my worst. But I'm improving again and for the first time in a while I'm not super manic or depressed. I know every time it gets worse it becomes more unbearable to you.

Much love to you man. Try and have a good time this weekend and take it easy on the booze and drugs If you can. I'm here anytime you need me.

The easiest way to stop gabapentin cold turkey is to stay home. It's like when your in wd from gaba your retarded and cant really function. I found that barbs help better then benzo's for wd and am saying phenobarbital not hard to get barb's I found 100mg of pheno to help better then any amount of benzo's. With magnesium it help's alot. But you should not get addicted to that for me I would be much better dependent on benzo's and opiates at the same time rather then gaba.

Thanks Jammin for all the support!!

I'm away on this trip right now with my friends. 150 miles from home and I am doing well and am having fun. The only bitch of it is that I'm having symptoms when I try to sleep (heart rate, shakiness).

I've been drinking a lot of beer which has been a lot of fun. I have other medical issues that originally caused me to get on benzodiazepines that are causing frustration and depression but I am doing a good job suppressing them.

I'm still stressed out as to what my game plan will be to combat this nightmare from gabapentin withdrawal. But I guess that's a problem for Monday. I feel like no matter what I do, I'm fucked though.

What's going on bc?

I really don't think this is working for you going on like this. I really know how you feel, I really do. Try and stabilize bc waiting it out doesn't seem like an option if you feel like kill ing yourself.

I had a rough night last night, as you can see, and was overwhelmed with how long this has taken and with uncertainty of how I should attack this.

Sorry for the outbursts last night. I was intoxicated which was a bad idea but I needed the escape.

If I went back on, what should I do? Start at 100mg three times per day? I'm worried going back on will bring back the same problems it caused the first time (major depression, anger, weight gain). I'm worried the depression and anger will get uncontrollable.

I would start with 100 mg once daily and go from there. Try and get at least 300 mg (100 mg pills) a day in case you need more. You could increase it to twice daily but I would hold off for now and see how you react. Don't want it to flare up your depression. Just trying to maintain some balance and pacify the withdrawal more than trying to use it therapeutically. I take it just once a day and I do okay. If I miss it at night though I am in WD by the morning.

No need to apologize for the outbursts. I've been there too with this shit. It happens. It can seem very hopeless. If you do stabilize a bit then stabilize at that dosage for a month and then taper at 10% a month after that. It's really important to do it slowly. It's a commitment but it might be your only way of getting your sanity back. You need to get a mg scale too. I recommend the gemini 20 off of amazon. Some people have some success with making a solution/suspension and utilizing an oral syringe to dose. You may have some negative side effects like you originally experienced but if you keep your dose low you those should be kept at a minimum. I really think you have to just try it for a week or so because you can't go on like you are. I really think it might be the only way but I know it's a tough call though.

I'll help you in any way I can Blue. I know how hopeless this can all feel.

Thanks man.

If I reinstated I would probably need to do it twice or three times per day. I got quick interdose withdrawal when I was just taking it at night.

Very worried that I won't be able to taper when I'm on it. I could never handle tapering anything. I'm also afraid I'll "reset" the recovery I have made.

I'm also afraid that it'll send the depression too far. That's one of the reasons I abruptly stopped the medication.

Well you may be able to get away with 50 mg twice daily. Not enough to feel it bc you have been off of it for a while. Just enough to stabilize and ween down. I've always ct'd pretty much everything and I really understand your concerns but if you keep your dose low and taper it precisely you should be okay. I don't think waiting it out is a good idea at this point and I worry you won't recover for a long time.

You might want to make an account at survivingantidepressants and start a thread in the member introductions forum. There are people there that have had similar experiences as yours that will probably be of more help to you than I can be. Don't have to do everything they say but they have successfully gotten people off of a lot of drugs so I think it would be worthwhile.

Thanks for the suggestion. I posted over at that site.

I also was able to get my hands on one 100mg pill of gabapentin (don't ask). I just took it, I'll let you know if it does anything.

Hope it works out for you. You should get some good feedback over there. You'll get all this sorted out man, I know it's a living nightmare.

Thanks Jammin. You've really helped me out so much during this whole ordeal.

I took the 100mg gabapentin about two hours ago and the only thing I notice is that my heart rate is reduced. Everything else is still here and, in fact, I think the vision issue I've been having the past few days got a little worse.

Okay, so the 100mg gabapentin didn't provide any real help except lower my heart rate a little bit. All other physical symptoms persisted. It also made my vision problem worse.

Also, my depression became VERY bad after I took the dose and lasted all throughout the night. The depression is still lingering today a little bit.

I don't think going back on is feasible at this point. I don't know how large of a dose I would need to go back up to or how much worse the depression and vision problem would be.