• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

10 days!

kaosisallwesee

Bluelighter
I just wanted to share my happiness in achieving what I thought would never happen. 10 days opiate free.
I'd been abusing codeine for years, both otc and prescription. I was taking up to 1500mg a day, and at least 1000mg a day for the past 8 years.
I took my last dose a week ago on Friday, and I fucking did it!
For a long time I tried and failed to stop using, but it was just too hard with a pharmacy on every corner. However, recently something changed. It was fucking my life up, I was fucking my final year at uni, fucking my finances, just fucking everything. I hated it.
So after 6 days of feeling like shit I came out feeling better than I've felt in years. I'm still feeling more and more like myself again everyday, but the hard parts over.
The point of writing this is due to the huge amount of codeine addicts I encountered online while looking for support. A lot of people really struggle with this apparently weak opiate, as did I, and because of its mild reputation it's addicts are often overlooked.
So, to all the people struggling through any kind of withdrawal, it does get better, I could cry with happiness while typing this. That's how good I feel now its over. Keep the willpower and you WILL feel amazing without it (eventually). <3

Last edited:
Yeah withdrawals are a bitch the first five days with opiates. That's when you deal with the acute withdrawals like the obvious symptoms. Now you'll have to work on the post acute withdrawals, which really varies person to person on length based on things like habit. It will be tempting to use because if fatigue, lack of appetite, insomnia, etc. although don't because you'll be back into the usual habits in no time. Good job and keep up the good work! I suggest going you the sober living section and starting a recovery thread.

Thank you man, PAWS was what I was the most worried about, but since day 1 I've had zero temptation to reuse. Every time I wake up I'm excited because I know each day will be easier than the last.
I'll start a new thread in the right section, thanks for that, wasn't sure where it should be.

Congratulations man. Also try eating a healthier diet and your body will gradually return to feeling wonderful again. Keep up the great job
You can do another 10...

How can we support you in your journey OP? This goes for everyone actually :)

Thank you all for the kind words. Just having someone to share the journey with is more than enough support. I have a lot going for me in life at the min, I'm so close to getting my degree in pharmaceutical science, I have a conditional research position with DMU starting in June, I'm getting married next year.. I have no intention of fucking up all that good stuff for a drug that I hate.
Thank you again, I don't know why but sharing this helps.

Totally. You clearly have a LOT going for you. Anything we can do to help support you in your process and achieving your goals, we're happy to do whatever we can :)

Plus by sharing your story you are helping countless people. Even if you never meet them or even know who they are, you have no idea the impact even just sharing one story can have on someone else who is struggling and in need of inspiration.

So, in that regard, it's really thank you for sharing your journey with us :)

I've also been eating huge amounts of real food, I used to eat tiny meals so id feel my next dose more. Saying that sounds so fucking stupid, but that's how it was.

Nutrition is one of the key parts of recovery. Try eating more vegetables (particularly of the leafy green variety) and fruits to fill you up instead of processed foods. That is really the trick to a healthy diet IMHO. Less animal products more plants, but a little of everything. Vegans might disagree and I respect that, but I'm a proud omnivore, even if I try to eat mostly plant based foods. Processed foods are everywhere now, it's kinda disconcerting sometimes.

What does you diet look like these days? Are you trying to change it up or just reflecting on where you're at?

I'm actively trying to eat well and get lots of exercise. I'm the same, veg and fruit are good, but so is meat.
I'll start the day with a berocca, and some blueberries/strawberries/nannas. Being at uni makes lunch limited, so its usually shitty coffee shop food, and I'll have lots of protein and veg for dinner.
All in all, I think the diet change and exercise has been the biggest help. It was so hard to start eating on day 3 or 4, but as soon as I started working out a bit my appetite returned with vengeance. I weighed my self earlier and I've put on half a stone!
..... Something I forgot to mention, Music! The best thing I can suggest is to get back into the things you used to love before addiction became that thing. Re listening to all my favorite music from my teenage years makes me feel like I'm fucked on something.
Anything to get those natural endorphins back in flow.

Sounds like you're taking good care of yourself, especially if you're at uni as I know the options for diet there aren't always the best/easiest.

And indeed, music is the best of all medicine. I'd gone periods of time not really listening to much music only to rediscover it during withdrawal. My god is can make such an incredibly different in terms of mood.

It's easy to forget that when one gets depressed, but music can definitely make a huge benefit in terms of supporting recovery. Listening to something one enjoys is just great for the mood, as you you've written :)

Music has been unbelievable, without it I'd be quite depressed at the minute, I'm sure of that.
Another thing I've come to notice is that I really don't enjoy smoking weed anymore. It had its place, but the lethargy it produces at the moment just isn't fun.
Thank you so much for the support, I'll keep you up dated as time goes on.

Congrats! Anything enjoyable that is also health you can do to reward yourself for you accomplishments with this, especially as you keep moving ahead? Like stuff you can do to practice being kind to yourself? Part of the basis for self care, which is sooooo important in terms of ongoing/long last success in recover.

Regardless though, great work. Keep it up please! :)

You wouldn't think it, but a lot has changed since I started this thread. I was still feeling a bit run down and lethargic, but not anymore! I've got so much energy you would believe it if you knew me!
I've got back into writing music, skating, snowboarding, got fucking 82% for my last assignment! Its like I'm a new human again, fresh is a good word to describe it.
I probably wont be back on here for a few weeks, so ill take this opportunity to thank you, toothpaste and everyone else, for the support. much love to everyone <3

now the hard part begins the first 3 days are bad then the next month is great and then depression settles in,atleast in me and many people i know

So happy for you kaos! Well done.

Im still fighting to get free. Good work. Congratulations!!! :)

Thank you buddy! If I can do it, you can do it, and I'm sure you will! It took a few years of wanting to quit before I managed it, it's a long process and I'm sure you'll get there too :) thanks again mate :)

I suggest starting a recovery thread when you do withdraw, it helped a lot to have someone to share with :)