• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids 1,4 Butanediol vs 1,3 Butanediol

Pastel

Bluelighter
The compound also goes by the names of BDO and Butylene glycol. Traditionally 1.4 BDO has been used for recreational purposes as a prodrug to Gamma Hydroxybutyrate (GHB).
From the available literature, 1.3 BDO seems to be a subject to the same metabolism as 1,4 BDO. Does anyone have any experience with 1,3 BDO? Any thoughts?

Experience reports seem quite rare (possibly due to lack of effect), from internet sources at least.
I think Spare Ribs ^ is on to something though.

The neuropharmacological effects of 1,4-butanediol (1,4 BD), 1,3-butanediol (1,3 BD), and related congeners were compared with those of γ-hydroxybutyrate (GHB) and γ-butyrolactone (GBL).

With some minor variations, 1,4 BD, but not 1,3 BD, exhibited neuropharmacological effects similar to those of GHB and GBL.

Neuropharmacological screening tests of structure-activity relationships with 1,4 BD congeners showed the following: (a) an increase in toxicity with increasing unsaturation at the 2,3-position of 1,4 BD, (b) a decrease in activity and toxicity with change in position of hydroxyl groups, and (c) a decrease in activity with variation in length of the aliphatic chain.

1,3 BDO is different from other BDO/GBL/GHB substitutes like GVL - while GVL can work as a GHB replacement to some extent (it is basically just GBL with an extra methyl group), 1,3-BDO's oxidized metabolite ("beta-hydroxy butyric acid") doesn't have the right distance between the hydroxyl and the carboxyl groups to substitute for GHB.

1,3 BDO is different from other BDO/GBL/GHB substitutes like GVL - while GVL can work as a GHB replacement to some extent (it is basically just GBL with an extra methyl group), 1,3-BDO's oxidized metabolite ("beta-hydroxy butyric acid") doesn't have the right distance between the hydroxyl and the carboxyl groups to substitute for GHB.

Thank you for clarification.

Necropost because it's now being sold commercially as a keto-friendly, ethanol-free buzz in seltzer form.

Necropost because it's now being sold commercially as a keto-friendly, ethanol-free buzz in seltzer form.

rofl, so that's their secret ingredient in those "alcohol replacement" drinks they started marketing a year or two ago?

you gotta be kidding me, I thought they were marketed as "all natural"?

edit: I googled it and it's not the same drink I referred to, but similar marketing and concept. Selling 1,3 BDO in a flavored drink sounds insanely irresponsible......

so 1,3-bdo is not active and things like gvl or ghv dont give you a proper buzz. needed to dose like 5-6ml to feel something but it was never enough to sleep on it for example.

No argument here. Nonetheless, I did have a product sold as (R)-1,3-BDO last night. It did feel active, although it could have been a placebo or it could have contained a different chemical. Also, it wasn't any fun. Zero euphoria, just felt subdued, off, and odd. Like baflofen (F-phenibut) level of no fun.

Eventually, I felt flushed, a little dizzy, and a little nauseated, not unlike a milder version of my one minor GHB overdose. There was some minor next day stomach upset. I did also sleep like a baby and wake up feeling positive and energetic, both of which are totally out of character. Experience was pretty much as advertised, just not enjoyable.