• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

‘Saturday Night Live’ Heroin Sketch Sparks Outrage

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
What were you thinking “Saturday Night Live”? That’s what a lot of fans — and mothers of addicts — are saying after a sketch on this weekend’s show featured a fake drug commercial for “Heroin AM,” an option for people “who want to use heroin” but also “get stuff done.”

In the commercial, actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus plays a school-bus-driving mama who says she can “get jacked on scag, and then get to work.” The spoof showcases the product in a box that makes it look like an over-the-counter medicine. It’s “now available in gummy bears, which you can melt down and inject,” says Louis-Dreyfus’ character.

Mothers of addicts are demanding an apology from NBC, “Saturday Night Live” executive producer Lorne Michaels and Louis-Dreyfus.

“I would think after the loss of John Belushi, Chris Farley and other beloved members of your cast that you would have realized that heroin addiction is about as funny as genocide, but judging by your show last night I’d have to say, apparently not,” said Maureen Cavanagh, the founder of Magnolia New Beginnings, a support group which helps people find treatment and comforts families coping with the loss of a loved one from drug addiction.

“You have just attempted to make a serious health epidemic into a joke and it is nothing less than disgusting. Apologize and make it right,” she wrote on her group’s Facebook page.

Tom Farley Jr., Chris Farley’s brother and author of “The Chris Farley Show,” took to Twitter to say he was “pretty bummed” by the sketch and was upset because it came from people he said he loves.

The sketch comes at a time when overdose deaths from opioids, which include heroin as well as prescription drugs like oxycodone and hydrocodone, remain the leading cause of unintentional death for Americans, climbing 14% from 2013 to 2014, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Every 19 minutes someone dies from an opioid overdose.

Debbie Gross Longo, a member of the Magnolia New Beginnings Facebook community whose son is battling heroin addiction, said via email that the SNL sketch “totally crossed the line.”

“There is nothing comical about a child suffering with addiction,” said Gross Longo, whom I interviewed two years ago. “Unfortunately, we have a grieving site where mothers can talk to each other about the worst pain imaginable, the loss of their child. Many are younger then 25. You have the nerve to think heroin is comedy. … Our mothers are livid and demand a formal apology,” she said, adding that the Magnolia New Beginnings Facebook community had over 5,000 signatures and climbing as of Monday morning on a petition calling for NBC to publicly apologize.

ACI, a New York City-based drug treatment provider, called for an apology and a boycott of “Saturday Night Live.”

“We realize that the show is geared to humor and good fun, but drug addiction and anything related to it is just too serious to be taken lightly.” said Warren Zysman, chief executive officer of ACI, in a statement.

cont at
http://ktla.com/2016/04/19/saturday-night-live-heroin-sketch-sparks-outrage/

I don't take offense to stuff like this. I'm currently on Suboxone and although my experience has been relatively light compared to most others I have had several friends go through hell and I was with my best friend as he descended down the path and eventually died.
I've definitely dealt with addiction but even more than I've ever loved my DOC I've always loved comedy.

With a platform like SNL this may actually bring more awareness....or even help with the stigma.

Obviously it's not an open-arms, we care for you approach and I can see why many won't agree with me but I see nothing wrong with this.

I've personally known three people who have died from heroin overdose, one being a close relative.

I have no problem whatsoever with this. Comedy is only insulting when it's not funny; this was pretty damn funny. :)

I sure hope SNL doesn't give in and apologize.

wtf, is with people demanding an apology. go fuck yourselves. if you don't agree with something, fine. But forcing someone to give an apology that they don't actually believe as some kind of public shaming is absurd.

Last edited:
This is hilarious. It might also be a good way to get kids not to do heroin--just tell them it's what Moms do.

Shit was funny. Didn't offend me as a recovering addict. Most of us have a pretty good sense of humor.

I'M OFFENDED!@#$%^&*)

......That the uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Yeah people get way to uptight about this sort of stuff... Comedy is comedy and often offends people, but most times that to me, is usually the better stuff...

Yeah people get way to uptight about this sort of stuff... Comedy is comedy and often offends people, but most times that to me, is usually the better stuff...

Exactly. The US is losing its sense of humor and is largely being spurred on by young adults, specifically college students. Many comedians have stopped playing universities for this very reason. The kids are so politically correct, that they are overly offended by something that not only is supposed to make them laugh, but also very often will go to places that no form of media will about the issues affecting society. Besides having a good time watching comedy either on TV or the movies or a live act, the satire and provocative nature of all good comedy should be a conversation starter about the issue being talked about, not simply a reason to complain about how some person or group may be offended by the comedy, despite it being funny, topical, and thought provoking.

Besides having a good time watching comedy either on TV or the movies or a live act, the satire and provocative nature of all good comedy should be a conversation starter about the issue being talked about, not simply a reason to complain about how some person or group may be offended by the comedy, despite it being funny, topical, and thought provoking.
I love this.

I don't think I have ever seen a thread where every single person agrees so completely.
Nothing wrong with dissent, yo!
We got anyone around who just can't get on board with us?

The only parts I thought were humorous were the "side effects include, it's heroin so...all that stuff" and the gummy bear going "OH YEAH" as it's being melted down in the spoon like the Kool Aid mascot

In general, when it comes to the topic of drugs my opinion is the same as it's always been: there's an element of tragedy involved but there is also very much an element of comedy, or at least there is in my opinion. My sense of humor is generally somewhat dark, though

i would have guessed its conservative baby boomers who are offended by this and not the internet generation