• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

‘Must Reads’ - Books That Have Changed Your Life

g0df1sh

Bluelighter
Hey Bluelight,
I didn’t see a thread for this, though I might have missed it.

Curious to know, what books have changed your life, either drug related or not? And why?

which books are a MUST READ?

As for drug culture, what books do you recommend either for the quality of their information, the innovation of idea, or the artistry by which they are written?

Blissful Journeys,

g0df1sh

PIKHAL!

Must read for chemistry nerds or drug enthusiasts alike.

Oh and fear and loathing is pretty good too

PIKHAL!

Must read for chemistry nerds or drug enthusiasts alike.

Oh and fear and loathing is pretty good too
Pihkal and Tihkal are awesome books! I really liked Ketamine: Dreams and Realities by Karl Jansen too.

The Mercury Detoxification Manual: A Guide to Mercury Chelation was life-changing for me :)

Pihkal and Tihkal are awesome books! I really liked Ketamine: Dreams and Realities by Karl Jansen too.

The Mercury Detoxification Manual: A Guide to Mercury Chelation was life-changing for me :)

i'll def have to check those out! Especially the one about ketamine since it's my favorite drug :).

Farenheit 451, 1984 and Brave New World are worth a read too! They sometimes feel more like documentary than fiction...

A brief history of drugs, by Antonio Escohotado.

I read that one as a teenager and it really changed my perspective, got me interested in harm reduction.
There's also the much longer version: General history of drugs (or something like that, don't quite remember the english title)

Last edited:
Drug related: Naked Lunch and the Nova Trilogy by Burroughs (think it's Soft Machine/Nova Express/Ticket That Exploded)), Junky by Burroughs, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas/on the Campaign Trail, On the Road and Dharma Bums are a stretch but drug use is present, Last Exit to Brooklyn was also good, and Scar Tissue which is the Anthony Kiedis autobiography. That one's a GREAT read if you like music and Heroin/Cocaine/LSD.

Non-Drug Related: Few books by Haruki Murakami (ex. Wind-Up Bird Chronicles), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, fuck it's hard to remember. I'll probably add more to the list.

Something Wicked This Way Comes - by Ray Bradbury
Because I like the way his brain works and how he explained certain things about science fiction that could possibly be science fact. And how he is very pragmatic in this novel too !! ♡

also i am fascinated with Anthony Kiedis and he actually grew up in Michigan when he was young and growing up. I am detroiter from being born there but don't live there now but was amazed Kliedis even lived in such a place. ( gets so cold there lool) <3

But Something Wicked is awesome book candy for my brain. I love to read it and have read it allot. lol.

Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace (somebody's gotta say it) - talks about consumerism/addiction/mastery of tennis as facets of the human condition circa 2000. Also super dark and funny.

The Stranger -Albert Camus- probably the first book that I found the sparse writing style to help contribute to its overall message. (idk how much that counts because I was reading an English translation, but fuck it, that was how I experienced the book)

The Crying of Lot 49 -Thomas Pynchon- A goofy novella on the surface where every throwaway reference has multiple layers of reading. Combines very silly and trippy scenes with deep set meandering paranoia. It is abook that helped teach me to close read on my own volition (sometimes).

Taipei-Tao Lin The hipster male benzodiazapine novel for the post milennium. Quite possibly the most detached prose I have ever read (literally makes Bret Easton Ellis seem emotional). Fits the aimless life of the narrator as he experiences success without meaning as a writer.

My Year of Rest and Relaxation -Otessa Moshfegh- The female hipster benzodiazapine novel for the post millennium. A woman who hates her friends and dates an older man who treats her like shit begins getting prescribed more and more downers in her goal to sleep for an entire year. More satirical than Taipei, and immediately humorous. I cringed at how well I could relate with some of the bitter and funny lines.

Something Wicked This Way Comes - by Ray Bradbury
Because I like the way his brain works and how he explained certain things about science fiction that could possibly be science fact. And how he is very pragmatic in this novel too !! ♡

also i am fascinated with Anthony Kiedis and he actually grew up in Michigan when he was young and growing up. I am detroiter from being born there but don't live there now but was amazed Kliedis even lived in such a place. ( gets so cold there lool) <3

But Something Wicked is awesome book candy for my brain. I love to read it and have read it allot. lol.

Random fact, he slept in Cher's bed cause his Dad was a major drug dealer for celebs in LA (like I'm pretty sure his Dad would just take him with him on his deals). Sniffed his first line of H on his way to school in the morning cause it was lined up on the coffee table and all the party people were passed out.

You will LOVE that book. It's wildness mixed with a LOT of setbacks and heartbreak.

For me, the three that leap to mind immediately are Frank Herbert's Dune, Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game, and Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

All three are sci-fi, I know lol. But I feel all three have had a significant impact on both me, and the world, prompting soooooo many good movies and tv shows to be produced.

As for drug culture, what books do you recommend either for the quality of their information, the innovation of idea, or the artistry by which they are written?
If we're talking only about drug use related novels, I really enjoyed On the Road by Jack Kerouac. His writing is very stream of conscious style, reminds me a lot of being on speed. And of course, back in the 50s, people in that scene were on speed a lot lol

Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace (somebody's gotta say it) - talks about consumerism/addiction/mastery of tennis as facets of the human condition circa 2000. Also super dark and funny.

Currently halfway through this. It's crazy how much he was able to predict about the endless mindless content constantly available that streaming platforms offer. He basically predicted our modern use of the internet, minus the fact that it would be wireless