• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids expired tramadol hcl - what to do

fatyoungjesus

Greenlighter
greetings,

i have come across a bottle of tramadol 100mg/1ml liquid. what is keeping me from using it is the fact that its expiration date (printed on the bottle and packaging) was december 2012. to my knowledge its been stored properly and so i searched online for answers whether it would be safe to use and im seeing mixed reviews and very little answers for its expired liquid form (most people talk about pill form) and im not quite convinced what to do...

can i use it or should i throw it away?

thanks in advance for your answers

If you want to err on the side of caution, throw it away. If you need to get high or well, try a little bit and see what happens. Say, try 50mg and see what happens. You'll likely need to take more to get anything recreational out of it though, but try a low dose first just to make sure there isn't anything to harmful about it.

If anything it may have simply lost potency over the years, but I don't know of anything off the top of my head that would be a warning sign with expired tramadol. Some medications (particularly some antibiotics) can degrade into some pretty nasty compounds past their expiration date, but I've never heard about this happening with opioids/tramadol.

Sometimes I feel like drugs suspended in a solution are less stable than drugs pressed into pills or in capsules, but I have no real evidence for this (other than with heroin, that is the once exception I have evidence for with this theory; heroin degrades into morphine quickly when stored in a solution of h2o).

There are plenty of anecdotal reports online of people taking tramadol that is two or three years expired and it working fine, so it is likely you can use this in a pinch.

It isn't ideal, and if you were being totally safe then no you shouldn't take any expired or improperly stored medication, but if you need to get well or are itching to get high, I wouldn't hold it against you for trying to use this expired tramadol.

What other ingredients (active and inactive) are in the solution? That might be more significant in terms of the expiration date.

Man, not I'm thinking about taking tramadol... not what I need while detoxing from kratom, but hey it's BL :) 8)

Something like Sodium benzoate might improve your luck if you have the list of ingredients. Do you have the manufacturer or a brand name?

It should be fine. Very few drugs need throwing when they reach date, and you're only talking about a modest decline in potency even though as a liquid it's likely to be less stable than a sealed tablet would be.

The antibiotic tetracycline is one of the few common medicines that, when it breaks down, could potentially be harmful (but even that isn't going to be in the majority of cases).

The vast majority of drugs, in my experience, are simply printed with a date 12-24 months of when they're dispensed. Not necessarily post production. And this is probably just to cover the company's/ pharmacy ass. If anything it'll be less potent, but i venture to say that's it. Like TPD said try a small dose to test then if ok go for it

hey thanks for spreading some knowledge guys.

the list of ingredients includes - saccharose, propilene glycol, potassium sorbate, polysorbate, sodium saccharin, glycerol, a couple of essential oils and water.

i dont know if this will help anyone determine anything more conclusive...
ill try taking 50mg and if nothing bad happens up it to 150mg next time

The vast majority of drugs, in my experience, are simply printed with a date 12-24 months of when they're dispensed. Not necessarily post production. And this is probably just to cover the company's/ pharmacy ass. If anything it'll be less potent, but i venture to say that's it. Like TPD said try a small dose to test then if ok go for it

actually it says this one was produced in december 2007 and expiry date december 2012 so im dealing with 10 year old tramadol here

EDIT: also sorry for doublepost

If it's been stored in a cool dry place there's no reason that it would have gone bad, I'd say this medication would be fine 10 years later..

Seconded, I can confirm that from having worked for an infamous big-pharma cumpny.

okay so.. i know this sounds very beginner-ish, but ive never taken any medicine in a liquid solution so im kind of puzzled how i should take it. should i let the 20 drops of solution fall into a glass filled with water and down it, or how..? thanks for your help guys

okay so.. i know this sounds very beginner-ish, but ive never taken any medicine in a liquid solution so im kind of puzzled how i should take it. should i let the 20 drops of solution fall into a glass filled with water and down it, or how..? thanks for your help guys

Buy an oral syringe or the small measuring cups at a pharmacy

but the bottle has a small thingie on the top that allows only a single drop to come out at once so couldnt i measure it like that?

the necessary dose in drops should be printed on the bottle (i.e so many drops for a X mg dose). Try half of it diluted in water or OJ (tramadol tastes like shit IMO. Only subutex and zopiclone beat its bad taste), then a full dose if you're not feeling the desired effects, work your way up from there...
Personally i've taken up to 1200mgs of tramadol in one take (as well as two doses of Nefopam) at times without feeling any psychologic effects (but I'm very opiate-tolerant, such a dose could kill you if you're totally opiate naive). Never felt any WD from it either, but your mileage may vary.
However if it's not pure tramadol (i.e. a mixture of paracetamol/tramadol, as is often the case) don't take too much : paracetamol is bad to your liver beyond a 500mg dose.

the necessary dose in drops should be printed on the bottle (i.e so many drops for a X mg dose). Try half of it diluted in water or OJ (tramadol tastes like shit IMO. Only subutex and zopiclone beat its bad taste), then a full dose if you're not feeling the desired effects, work your way up from there...
Personally i've taken up to 1200mgs of tramadol in one take (as well as two doses of Nefopam) at times without feeling any psychologic effects (but I'm very opiate-tolerant, such a dose could kill you if you're totally opiate naive). Never felt any WD from it either, but your mileage may vary.
However if it's not pure tramadol (i.e. a mixture of paracetamol/tramadol, as is often the case) don't take too much : paracetamol is bad to your liver beyond a 500mg dose.

woah 1200mg bro thats hardcore.. but yeah it is exactly as you say, the dosage is printed on the bottle so it shouldnt be a problem measuring out 50mg for the first time i try it. and actually it is pure tramadol with no other active substance. but there is no way im ever taking more than 150mg cause i heard seizure risk is high above 300mg. i think Ol' Dirty Bastard overdosed on tramadol or even died from it so i definitely dont wanna go down that road.
plenty of thanks to everyone who contributed :) peace

If your not using anything else like amphetamines or prone to seizures your good to around 500mg before the risk builds, but there's nothing wrong with staying at 300 or less. Let us know how it works out, for science and all.
Welcome to BL.

If your not using anything else like amphetamines or prone to seizures your good to around 500mg before the risk builds, but there's nothing wrong with staying at 300 or less. Let us know how it works out, for science and all.
Welcome to BL.
i havent done amphs since 2 weeks.

so i took 50mg a few hours ago and yeah it was a very bad taste as one would expect. only thing i noticed is my stomach feels a bit crampy, though i dont know if this is cause of the tramadol or cause of the spazmalgon i took yesterday which had me feeling really weird 5 hours after taking it, one specific part of my abdomen, the upper left part, was twitching really weirdly and made me feel like there was something crawling under my skin.

has me sort of contemplating whether im gonna take the 150mg dose or not.. maybe another time

Spazmalgon or Metamizole Sodium: 500.0 mg Pitofenonov hydrochloride: 5.0 mg and Fenpiveriniev bromide: 0.1 mg is a bit of a curve ball as the American based internet drug interaction checker goes cross-eyed when you type it in but it says 3 days use maximum on the Euro site. Might want to wait till that clears your system before a slow titration and test run of the elderly Tramadol. It also says that Spazmalgon can turn your urine red similar to Rifampin or Phenazopyridine. That would make for some interesting conversation in the public restroom. ;)

Sometimes I feel like drugs suspended in a solution are less stable than drugs pressed into pills or in capsules, but I have no real evidence for this
The fact that solid tablets are more stable and usually have longer shelf lives than liquid forms is actually well documented in the pharma industry.

Having said that, I have taken cough syrup that had been expired for several years without problems. As long as you're taking those drugs orally, you don't have much to worry about.

If the syrup contains more than 65% saccharose, bacterial growth is theoretically impossible.

If the syrup contains more than 65% saccharose, bacterial growth is theoretically impossible.

it says every 1ml of the solution contains 200mg of saccharose. so overall there is 2000mg of saccharose in a full bottle(10ml) , however i have no idea what the overall weight is, but it could be >65% saccharose... imma try 150mg today and let yall know tomorrow what happened if i didnt die