• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Fast methadone taper help

Hi CJ. My Doctor is supposed to put the referral in when I see him on the 31st. He wants to "make sure I'm completely off methadone first" So, whether I continue the taper or keep taking the morphine I'm going to tell him I'm off. Because it takes weeks sometimes months to get into pain management. I will be off by then. If I call him and tell him I can't take this I'm pretty sure he will just not prescribe anything. He's tired of dealing with me and I'm ready to punch him in the throat. So if I'm unable to keep taking it then I'll just finish my taper and ride it out. I was doing ok at 7mg. I've definitely been humbled by this expirience. I'm looking at this situation in a whole 'nother light. Learning a lot from this process and from everyone here. I just love all of you!

Oh, I checked my bp it was good 110/69 Heart rate was 89 so I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

That's a good bp and heart rate. Really good BP I wish mine was that low. I don't think your in any danger from the morphine tbh. It's a shame you drew such a shit doctor though. Opiates have a way of destroying a patient/doc relationship.

Yeah, continue using DPH with the morphine, perhaps at 25mg per 15mg of morphine (or rather, if you take the morphine three times a day, take at 50-75mg of DPH over the day).

At the least, please leave a message for your doctor letting him know about this issue and how you are managing it so they can fuck with you about it at your next visit.

It’s great to have you in SL Barbie. Thank you for your contributions to the site. In sharing your struggle you are helping more people than you know :)

OK, If you live in Canada, you might have a different way to get off EVERYTHING fast & relativity safe.

As of May 2017 Ibogaine became legal to prescribe!
Look into it here first: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodpharma/pdl-ord/pdl-ldo-noa-ad-2017-05-16-eng.php

I personally am sick of methadone. 9 years clean, NEVER RELAPSED, down to a 28mg dose, full carries. I have hit a wall. It seems that on a dose on 27mg for me, sleep stops happening on day 4-5. I actually cried when I heard about Ibogaine being legal in Canada.

I hope this helps you.
Even if it gets you to take a vacation to get clean once and for all. That my friend would be the best vacation of all. Going home completely clean! (No more ball and chain aka. methadone)

BUT, FIRST & foremost, I wish you ALL the luck in the world that your current plans work for you. Thank you for your share. It has given me more to think about for my own health. *HUGZ

Last edited:
Not much CJ. I found some benadryl yesterday and it helps some. That pressure in my head & ears was so scary!
I can def tell I'm off the methadone. I'm taking the morphine 3 times a day but I'm sick today. The morphine must be weaker than 7mg of methadone. I'm ok though. It's manageable. I hate how Benadryl dries you out. My mouth is so dry. I still have some Oxycodone left from before but I'm saving them in case it gets worse. I think this is 3 days maybe 4 of no methadone. Basically I'm just staying hydrated and trying to eat. I don't want to get as sick as the last time I tried this. I've been walking early in the mornings when it's cool out. And I'm being realistic with my expectations. Just a completely different mindset than the last taper. I understand methadone much better now and I realize it doesn't matter how "tough" I am. Methadone detox can be very dangerous and it's not to be taken lightly. I hope to be able to continue doing well.

Oh I have a quick question. Since starting the morphine something strange is happening (other than the rash as pressure in my head) I can be sitting up or laying down and all the sudden my body jumps. Like out of nowhere. It's like my insides are jumping. Kinda like when you're about to fall asleep and you jump feeling as if you're falling. Does that make sense? Now it sounds crazy seeing it written out. But I'm not falling asleep when it happens. I would think it was from wd's but it didn't happen until the morphine....

Last edited:
I have no idea what’s up with your “body jumping” barb, I’m sorry.

It’s it uncomfortable or just weird/unsettling? It may be related to a common symptoms of withdrawal from methadone, a yawning and sniffles, where there is also a tendency to kind of shiver. It may just be your vague nerve going a little haywire as your system adjusts from methadone to morphine.

I can only guess, but that would be it. It isn’t at all dangerous, if it’s just that, but definitely feels odd as hell. Is it like a sort of chilled electric shiver sort of feel when your body jumps? That would be the vagus nerve. No danger there (it can actually be pretty pleasurable once you get used to it).

Expect you symptoms to clear up from the methadone->morphine transition to peak around day 5 on morphine. There will be signigficant but managible discomfort after that, but day five will be the worst in all likelihood. That is when a lot of people who get off methadone lapse/relapse.

If you can make it past that, you are more than capable of this transition. By day 7-14 you should be prettt stable on morphine, although you may have some lingering minor symptoms that drag on. But they will be managible.

Do you have anything you can do to take th edge off, like to relax and de-stress? That is really important during a process like this. Self care. A good time to explore it if you don’t already have a routine with it. Keep you head up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to meditate at least 20-30 minutes every day. I actually just got into meditation when I started the last taper. I take 30 minutes all to myself, no noise, no interruptions. I can't say yet if it's made a difference but I'm making the effort. My morning walks through the woods relaxes me. Our property is full of wildlife. I saw a mama deer with 2 babies the other day. Other than that I don't have any other de-stressing tools. I've been binge watching stuff on Netflix lol. Not sure that counts tho.

So day 5 which is tomorrow I think, is going to horrible? At least I know what to expect this time. I won't say I have this is the bag because I'm not sure I do. I'm trying my best and keeping a semi positive attitude. I have great support here on SL but in real life I only have my mom. And she's never been in this position so it's hard to talk to her. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have my fellow BL'rs to help me through this. You are all amazing!

?Barb

Horrible is relative. It's not going to be shit compared to last time. That said if you need to take a little oxy in top of the morphine it's not going to hurt anything.

Your doing awesome. I've had those electric jumps before from benzo withdrawal. I think it has to do with your adrenaline being out of whack. It'll pass as your body adjusts. Benadryl dries me out too. Drink a ton of fluid

^agreed. It is just as likely to start resolving tomorrow, but regardless it is gonna be a slow process. Don’t expect rapid change with transitioning from methadone. But with the morphine you should be stable sooner than later compared to any degree of detoxing.

And just to poin our, while meditation is amazing and a highly useful skill, it isn’t a cure all. Do you have a therapist Barbie? I highly recommend finding one you like. Working with a good therapist and practice meditation is far and away superior to only one or the other. Especially if you don’t have a lot of supportive people IRL.

I agree. A Good therapist would be great. Unfortunately we only
have 1 place here that offers therapy & it's a joke. They have 2 counselors there who don't care at all. I've seen them both. The closest place to have many options is a two and a half-three hour drive one way. So that's not realistic. I live in a very rural area. Our poulation is way below 400. Even the closest "city" is a 45 minute drive and it's not really a city. When I said I lived in the sticks I meant it lol.

It's not even 3am here and I've been awake all night. I def feel worse today. But I can do this. If the pain gets too bad I'll dip into the oxy. I'm taking my daughter to the dr today. If I don't feel well I can have my mom take her but I was trying to make myself get out of the house. I don't want to drive if I have to take the oxy because I'm not sure how my tolerance is now. I'll post later for an update on how day 5 went.

?Barb

Ugh insomnia is the worst. It amplifies all the other symptoms. One strategy would be to take like 10mg of oxy at night close to bed so you can sleep.

I always have insomnia but I would at least get about 4 hours total sleep. Now I'm not getting any sleep. I'll sleep for about 10 minutes, wake up thinking I've been asleep for hours. And be wide awake too. It just makes everything else so much worse. I will try taking an oxy and hope it helps.

Today I noticed the rash type thing an the pressure in my head is almost gone. The Benadryl is really helping.

I always have insomnia but I would at least get about 4 hours total sleep. Now I'm not getting any sleep. I'll sleep for about 10 minutes, wake up thinking I've been asleep for hours. And be wide awake too. It just makes everything else so much worse. I will try taking an oxy and hope it helps.

Today I noticed the rash type thing an the pressure in my head is almost gone. The Benadryl is really helping.

I wish you had a cooperative doctor. Your withdrawal could be made so much more comfortable with some clonidine to balance out your adrenaline response. I've read that is what gives many of the restless feelings your talking about. If sleep is a big problem you could adjust your dosing to an unbalanced schedule where you dose 2 pills before sleep and half a pill at the other two dosing points. You would have more if the withdrawal during awake hours but a better chance to sleep.

My dr didn't prescribe any more of the oxy because he gave me the morphine. So I don't have a whole lot of the oxy left. That's why I'm trying not to take them. I've been having to take them more frequently for pain than for the wd's. I have more Restoril than oxy so I could try taking more than the prescribed amount of that. I've taken 2 before but never more than that. I was scared I might not wake up. I'm not sure what the maximum amount is without overdoing it. I wish my doctor wasn't such a jerk but he is. I will be in with a pain doctor within the next few months so I won't need him after that. I hate that in a way because he has been a great doctor to me over 7 years. It wasn't until I asked him for help coming off methadone did things go bad. Even though he knew I was on it, it wasn't his problem. I'm not sure why he even bothered trying to help me. He acts like its a huge burden and clearly he doesn't listen to me when I talk to him about what could work. Our doctor patient relashionship is ruined by this whole ordeal. But anyway.

Today is day 6 and I'm feel worse than yesterday. I'm thinking maybe it's going to get worse before it gets better? Im prepared. I stocked up on Gatorade and chicken noodle soup. I'm ready for this to be over but I know that's a lil further on down the road.

Hope everyone is enjoying this Fall weather and having a great weekend!

?Barb

I really hope you get to feeling better soon barb.
You are doing great!
Your definitely one tough cookie.! Tougher than me I assure you!

You got the right attitude. You can take more restoril I don't think you are in any danger of overdose at all. Restoril is a great sleep med so I recommend taking as much as you need to sleep. Sleep is also crucial to keep up your mental toughness. I think the methadone is now completely out of your system which means today or tomorrow will be the peak of withdrawal. After that your body will slowly begin adjusting to the new dose. There is a light at the end of the tunnel at this point which must be nice. You may as well use the oxy if you need it because once you get on pm you'll be on a contract with drug testing. Failing a test for oxy will get you discharged and would suck.

I most definitely need some sleep. Ten minutes here and there just isn't enough. It only makes things so much worse. I will try 3 of the Restoril tonight and see what happens.

Thank you all for the support and encouragement! Every day I get a little closer to my goals. And I know I wouldn't have gotten this far without you.

?Barb

:) your doing the hard stuff girl. I'm just a spectator. I predict you will be right as rain in a week. Maybe less