• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Fast methadone taper help

CJ you have been so wonderful during this horrible time. And you did tell me many times that I was going about it all wrong. I just kept thinking since I wasn't feeling that bad that I was going to get by fairly easy. Yeah because I'm so special that it won't affect me like it does millions of others right. Ugh I was ignorant. You weren't the only one who warned me. And I believed my dr because he had never steered me wrong before. Another huge mistake! My stubbornness landed me in that situation. So I only have myself to blame. The good news is you guys didn't hold it against me when I finally realized this isn't working. You guided me without judgment and I love all of you for it. And now I'm crying and can't see what I'm typing. I hope ogtommy doesn't end up in a bad situation. I hope he's successful. And I know whether he is or isn't people on BL will be there if he needs them. CJ wherever you are I'm sending bear hugs your way! And I did go back and edit my first post saying this taper did not work and I'm now tapering very slow! I hope that's ok. If not I can delete it. I just didn't want anyone else to see it and think it worked without reading the entire thread.

?Barb

It's all love Barb. I hope everyone who posts in this forum is successful. I think the withdrawal is making you a little emotional :). It happens to the best of us. Editing is fine.

How is 10mg holding you? I did some rough math and if you have 200mg left you should be good to taper 1mg at a time over the next month. If you do that I think the oxy will work well enough to make the transition.

What did you decide about work? Have you looked up FMLA?

I think we do have fmla because I used a week of unpaid leave after the 2 weeks of vacation I used during my taper. I know I won't get paid for the time off but I've accepted that. My boss guaranteed I'd have a job when I come back I was just worried about finances. I think I'll be ok I'll just have to budget better. I'm going to just take off until I can go in and give 100%. This is hard enough without trying to go to work.

The 10mg is holding me ok. I'm in pain but I'm not sick like I was before. I am going slow like was suggested.

Good plan Barb. I'm glad your boss is being supportive.

your an angel barbie, no matter what happens or how you make out, i felt your pain when you were suffering. I've seen so many people supposed to be all this and that crumple like a cheap suit at the first sign of pain, compared to what you have accomplished so be proud!!! be proud that you endured what you did for the length of time that you did and knowing that no-matter what happens, if need be, you can take it to that point ( god willing it never gets there EVER AGAIN) but you did and here you are. . keep strong and keep doing what you doing. as far as inspiring me to jump out the pan and into the fire, have no fear. I got quadrillion, gazillion comfort meds so im not worried. i can no longer be on methadone and have to make some serious decisions in a couple months so im stuck in this half assed plan ive commited myself too. you inspired me to do the right thing for the right reason but maybe not in the best way possible, but when has life ever been a best case scenario? seems to always be a worst case scenario and we have to make the best of it, so i will. Im physically fine today!!day10 -- i've had 15mg methadone, 75mg of morhpine every 6 hours and a few beers and i feel ok. My brain is way out in left field.... i'm starting to see conspiracies and looking at every little thing like it's some kind of intentional slight directed towards me but im sure we all have to live in our heads during withdrawl seeing what out ego/id cooks up. I know ill make it and im praying you do too!!

tommy

I'm down to 9mg today. I feel like crap but I'm hanging in there. I have to succeed this time. I'm not sleeping at all and every bone I broke in my accident hurts like hell. And that's everything from my neck down to my femur. So it's to the point where I'm having to dip into my oxy.

Does anyone know a better way to measure out the methadone than the syringe thingy I have? It doesn't get all the methadone out. It was an extra that the vet gave me to give my dog medicine. It measures 1mL. After I measure it out and put it into a little cup with water it till has methadone in it and it won't come out. So I know I'm not gettig the full amount.

Anywho, I'm still hanging in there and trying to be strong.

?Barb

You can use a 1cc U100 insulin syringe. 100 units=1ml... so 10 units=1mg if it is a 10mg per ml solution and it will dispense the solution better.. I know exactly what you are talking about with those oral syringes. Brings back memories of trying to suck that last mg or two out that always gets stuck in the tip..lol

Thanks Somni! Yeah it's impossible to get it out. Can I get those from anywhere? I've never seen them just out on the shelves before.

I don't know what the laws are in Tennessee but you usually have to ask the pharmacist. A lot of pharmacies don't like to give syringes unless the person has a diabetes card or a medication that would require them but there are a lot of pharmacies that will give them to you if you just say you are diabetic. look up the syringe description and walk up confidently describe the syringe and they will probably give them to you if you don't act sketch. You will have to tell the needle gauge number but that is really unimportant information for your purposes. Just pick one to tell them.

I still think your going to fast. You have to remember that withdrawal will lag 4-5 days behind each dose decrease. Your likely just now feeling the drop from 15mg to 10mg. That's why it is important to wait a week between drops.

I have been waiting a week between each drop. I did 20, 15, 10 and now I'm on 9. I may have only stayed 5 days between 10 & 9 but I've waited a week each time. Unless I'm not keeping up with it as well as I thought. The days seem to run together when I'm sick. But I think I've been doing it as planned.

I'm only dropping 1mg at a time now vs 5mg.

Last edited:
Hang on Barb. One way or another you"re going to get there. This really has been a nightmare for you. I don't have the experience like Cj and Somni w tapering-I apologize that I cannot offer suggestions regarding that.

I have a masters degree in the field of withdrawal and detoxing through personal experience. I promise you will eventually feel better. Are you taking your gabapentin? How about loperamide? Hot baths? I know it's difficult to think straight at times but you really are doing an amazing job.

It really pisses me off that Dr.s-so called goddamn health professionals-are allowing you to go through this unassisted in order to get surgery and pm. I am thinking of you You are in my prayers Barb. <3

I'm hanging on 10years. I'm am not taking the gabapentin yet since I only have a small amount. I'm saving what little comfort meds I do have for the end of my taper. Right now my main issue is pain. I'm having to dip into the roxi because the pain is unbearable at times. Which means I'll have less when I finish the taper. Hopefully Dr dick will prescribe more. After the last visit I'm not so sure. I've read countless stories of people having major surgeries while on methadone. It pisses me off that my surgeon refuses to do so. I wonder if anyone have ever ran into a situation like that before. Surely I can't be the only person to ever be told no due to MMT.

Thank you for keeping me in your prayers 10years. I am so grateful I have the support from SL. I couldn't have done this without it. Big hugs to you!

?Barb

Hello everyone! Only 2 more days til I drop again. Saturday I'll drop down to 8mg. Right now 9mg is holding my alright. Well maybe not. I feel like crap. I feel so-so about 45 minutes after my daily dose at 4am. But by 2pm I can tell. Then from around 11pm I'm just counting down the hours til I can take my dose. Insomnia is terrible. I have it anyway, but it's so much worse now. I sleep about 10-15 minutes at a time for a total of maybe an hour. Two max. But, I'm not spewing fluids so I try to look at that as a positive. Overall I'm much better this time around other than the insomnia. Hopefully it will stay that way. I'm sick but I know that's just part of it. I know from talking to y'all (yes I'm Southern) that a huge part of detox/tapering is mental. So I'm trying to stay as positive as I can and focus on the big picture. And just when I feel like I want to say F it, someone on here replies to my post with encouraging words. I can't tell you what an impact that makes. Especially for someone who doesn't have anybody at home who understands. You guys here at SL are amazing and I'm so glad to be part of this forum!

I got this.....?Barb

Your doing great. I wish you had enough left to wait until you are completely stabilized before dropping again but if you don't you don't.

Hang in there.

Hey Barb- oh do I know counting the hours. And indeed a very large part of withdraw (And paín) is mental.

During one of the millón times I was in severe withdrawal - I was sitting on the floor w a bucket next to me and vomiting in it every 5-10 minutes and watching a movie. During the insomnia plan on watching movies you like-comedies or dramas or whatever you like. Try not to let it get the best of you The particular time I'm telling you about I watched "The Affair" w Richard Gere. It was a great movie actually. As deranged as that sounds. I kept my head out of it (the w/d)-and it was very intense I'm telling you this because I want to re-assure you that it's possible.

I also understand severe pain. I force myself to concentrate on my breathing. It's all I can manage at times. But, once I'm able to get my breathing normal, I think of things pleasant to me-it can be memories that are happy, things I'd like to experience in the future--anything that is soothing to me. I've learned to have a few ready in advance to choose from. I know that sounds strange. But when the pain is really overwhelming , conjuring good thoughts and memories can be impossible for me. Then I panic, hyperventilate and it makes it even worse. It took years of practice.

Hang on Barb. There's light at the end of the tunnel. You have a lot to look forward to when this leg of the race is finished with. Hope you're feeling powerful. Because you are. <3

Im on 115 mg. currently and I try to cut 5 mg a week and I just can't seem to do it. So discouraging. I feel so much more addicted to the methadone than any drug I ever abused. It seems to really slow my body down and I just feel old.

Im on 115 mg. currently and I try to cut 5 mg a week and I just can't seem to do it. So discouraging. I feel so much more addicted to the methadone than any drug I ever abused. It seems to really slow my body down and I just feel old.
I know what that is like all too well. My clinic forces patient s to drop by 10mg if they are over 100mg. The sole reason is too make it difficult to get off. Even the director said he had no good reason for the policy it's just an edict from corporate

Thanks jsalvati! I'm trying my best to stay focused. It's rough right now but not nearly as bad as the last time I tried this.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. 5mg doesn't sound like much but I know first hand that it can be excruciating. I learned that lesson the hard way. After my disastrous fast taper failed I asked for help with a better plan and received some great advice on here. I'm now going very slow (1mg a week) and can tell a huge difference.