• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Detox I don't want to do this anymore. (Cocaine)

Tonight I told my mom exactly how bad my cocaine addiction has become. She knows that I have used, and she knows I've been addicted, but I don't think she knew that there has been a resurgence in my addiction. I told her everything, about how I'd use when I was living with my ex as a way to cope with the abuse I was enduring, as well as when I shot the first time - the day before Easter this-past April. She told me she knew there was something wrong with me when my ex and I came here for Easter Sunday for dinner.

She told me that she was going to do everything she can to help me through my addiction. She wants me to work with her to ensure that I don't use again. She was so helpful and so understanding. I didn't even plan to talk to her, everything just started coming out. It felt really good to open up to her.

Cocaine is obviously on my mind right now, and I do have that "longing" for it, but I'm not going to do that to myself again. I have to keep moving forward.

An awesome 1st step.. My parents have known about my addictions in all their glorious forms for 15 or more yrs. I pretty much confide everything to my dad. It really helps because it helps keep me somewhat accountable and allows me their help when the shit has hit the fan.. I went to rehab in 2008 for crack and Iv cocaine usage.. My parents were instrumental. They know all the gory details, trials, tribulations and falls and know that I am def. trying despite my setbacks. Keep that attitude of always moving towards recovery no matter what happens.

An awesome 1st step.. My parents have known about my addictions in all their glorious forms for 15 or more yrs. I pretty much confide everything to my dad. It really helps because it helps keep me somewhat accountable and allows me their help when the shit has hit the fan.. I went to rehab in 2008 for crack and Iv cocaine usage.. My parents were instrumental. They know all the gory details, trials, tribulations and falls and know that I am def. trying despite my setbacks. Keep that attitude of always moving towards recovery no matter what happens.

Thank you so much. I'm so glad you have your parents, your dad. It's so important. I feel more comfortable talking to my mom about these things over my dad. I realized I had to talk to her after my last cocaine trip when it was cut with meth and I didn't know. I felt like I was dying. I wanted to tell her so bad, but I was too afraid. Now I have her fully aware of what's going on. I hope and pray that I don't relapse again, but I can't make that promise to myself or to her. Like you said, keep moving toward recovery. That's all I can do.

Getting things out in the open is a great start. And I'm really glad to hear your mom is supporting you in this.

Not to be negative, but do you think she has a realistic understanding of the kinds of challenges you'll face? If not (and maybe even if so) I'd recommend that she does a bit of research on recovery and addiction. I mention this because I've seen it become a problem for families in the past. That is, very well meaning folks sometimes blanch when they see their loved ones struggling in recovery. A healthy dose of education can head off some of that shock. I'd be happy to recommend some materials if you think that would be helpful.

But again, I don't want to seem like a downer. You made a huge step by telling her. And your doing great, beebox! :)

Getting things out in the open is a great start. And I'm really glad to hear your mom is supporting you in this.

Not to be negative, but do you think she has a realistic understanding of the kinds of challenges you'll face? If not (and maybe even if so) I'd recommend that she does a bit of research on recovery and addiction. I mention this because I've seen it become a problem for families in the past. That is, very well meaning folks sometimes blanch when they see their loved ones struggling in recovery. A healthy dose of education can head off some of that shock. I'd be happy to recommend some materials if you think that would be helpful.

But again, I don't want to seem like a downer. You made a huge step by telling her. And your doing great, beebox! :)

Thank you so much!

My mom is a recovering alcoholic of 15 years. She was in detox, rehab, and used to frequent AA meetings. Sometimes, dependent on what kind of mood she's in, she can be a bit offensive/turns it into something about her, when it isn't. I do think she would benefit from familiarizing herself with proper ways to deal with a loved one and their addiction! I definitely welcome those materials of which you speak. :)

Thank you again. :) I appreciate the support so much!

Hi, beebox. Here are a few books that I think are great for addicted people and their families, in terms of learning about what addiction is and isn't.

Unbroken Brain by Maia Szalavitz, Help at Any Cost also by Szalavitz, and A Small Book About Drugs by Lisa Prior.

Hi, beebox. Here are a few books that I think are great for addicted people and their families, in terms of learning about what addiction is and isn't.

Unbroken Brain by Maia Szalavitz, Help at Any Cost also by Szalavitz, and A Small Book About Drugs by Lisa Prior.

Thank you so, so much!!! I really appreciate it.

Absolutely, beebox. I hope you'll keep us in the loop. You're already making great steps.

I definitely will. :) I'm looking forward to Sunday...I'll be two weeks sober.

That's awesome! It seems like you're really determined to get better...and that's the lion's share of recovery, right there.

That's great beebox! You're doing so well. You really are an inspiration to me, and others I'm sure ☺ To top it off you've got a great attitude about it as well.

The strength you show dealing with this is going to take you far in life. I hope I can muster up that same strength some day to push past mine.

That's awesome! It seems like you're really determined to get better...and that's the lion's share of recovery, right there.
I really am. I've never felt like this about recovery before. I've tried so many times. And every time, I really knew somewhere in the back of my mind that I wasn't exactly serious about it. That last trip scared me so much. Right now, in this moment, I feel happier than I've felt in a long time. I've had a pretty shitty year, and I'm really hoping that it's turning around. After tomorrow, I'll be in the final week of withdrawal. The one-month mark is what's making me nervous, because that's usually when the cravings return. But...I can't get too far ahead of myself.

Thank you so much. <3

That's great beebox! You're doing so well. You really are an inspiration to me, and others I'm sure ☺ To top it off you've got a great attitude about it as well.

The strength you show dealing with this is going to take you far in life. I hope I can muster up that same strength some day to push past mine.

This is seriously the sweetest message, and it made my night and I have tears in my eyes. Thank you so, so much. Seriously. It means so much.

I'm glad it made you happy beebox. You've always been on my side and cheering me on. That means a lot to me. Most of what I say just kind of comes from my heart and I just say it. Often times that gets me into trouble or embarrassed lol

I hope your day is going well and you keep kicking butt.

I'm glad it made you happy beebox. You've always been on my side and cheering me on. That means a lot to me. Most of what I say just kind of comes from my heart and I just say it. Often times that gets me into trouble or embarrassed lol

I hope your day is going well and you keep kicking butt.

Of course! We're all in this together. :) I have your back 100%! And I'm the same way. I speak very frankly about what I feel. I think it's a good thing!

Thank you so much! You too. :)