• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

marijuana induced anxiety/panic/something terrifying and i need help

scrim

Greenlighter
i'm a 17y/o male who's going through (what feels like) some scary stuff and i don't know what it is or how to fix it.

about 6 months ago, i ate an entire pot cracker (with little to no tolerance for marijuana, stupid me i know). afterwards, i slipped into this panic/anxiety type of trip. my heartbeat skyrocketed, everything seemed distant (dp/dr), and i was scared out of my mind. i thought i was going to die or have to be rushed to the hospital. my chest/heart had this buzzing or tingling feeling in it. my perception of the world around me is what really freaked me out. the best comparison i can give you is for you to put your phone's camera on and hold it up to your eyes to the point where it almost acts as your eyesight. now try moving around. it felt something like that. like it was distant, i wasn't really in the moment, my heartbeat was racing, and everything was gloomy. my legs/arms/chest were also tingly and numb and also felt distant from me in some strange way.

after calming down and going to sleep, i woke up with a fever (between 99-101F) and, at this point, my trip-like feelings started to come back, but not as intense. everything still felt distant (dp/dr again) but it was nothing compared to the trip i originally had. this trip-like feeling didn't subside for the next 3-4 months. in other words, i didn't feel quite normal or "centered" for a couple of months. in that time period, i experience flashbacks to the trip i had when i initially took the pot cracker. i remember being in school and realizing that my vision/perception was becoming distant and i was having some sort of anxiety/panic attack. luckily, these trip flashbacks were brief. could have been a couple of seconds to a minute if i remember correctly. to add to this, i remember a tingling feeling coming to my legs, almost as if they were numb, but i could still feel things (difficult to explain). all in all, these months were full of flashbacks to anxiety attacks and just trying to center myself and make everything feel real and "not distant" again, if that makes sense

after that hellish experience, everything subsided and i focused on school and my social life and whatnot. it was smooth sailing. up until 2 nights ago.

2 nights ago, i was getting ready to go to sleep when this visual distortion/alteration (call it whatever) happened again. i was at the point where i was about to fall asleep but i still remember being awake. in a quick second, my visual perception changed to that distant feeling for a moment but i quickly snapped out of it. my heartbeat quickened but i managed to calm it down. i thought "ah that's the feeling you get when youre about to fall asleep, i must have snapped myself out of it." i then went to bed.

the next day, i was bored, just on the computer and feeling kind of tired. i decided to take a nap, but then the same thing happened again. as i was drifting off into sleepy/naptime land, my visual perception became distant again and my heartbeat quickened for a second before i jolted myself away. i thought "ah again i snapped myself out of sleeping, just fall asleep with no interruptions this time"

and boy was that a mistake.

when i woke up, i had the whole 9 yards. almost similar to the trip i had initially (while on the pot cracker). my visual perception became distorted, my heart was beating 120 at rest (initially), and i had that buzzing/tingling feeling in my chest. it took me a while, but i managed to calm myself down and the trip slightly went away. i still felt dp/dr but it wasn't as intense as before. my mouth felt dry and no matter how much water i drank, it just wouldn't get wet again. my appetite also changed, i didnt feel like eating anything (but i managed to have lunch and calm myself down). after this trip, my legs felt numb and tingly (as mentioned above during my initial trip) but i still had a sense of touch. this feeling spread to my legs and chest as well.

going to sleep last night was a nightmare. i was afraid to fall asleep because i was afraid of falling into a trip again but at the same time it was getting late and i had to wake up for work. it took an hour for me to truly knock out. then (i don't know if this is related or not), after having a couple of "normal" dreams, i had a complete nightmare. i woke up frightened and still in that dp/dr feeling. it's not as intense as the days/trips before, so I'm assuming it's getting better/out of my system...?

and that's where my confusion comes in.

i bought a drug test (cheap $1 marijuana drug tests) and it looked like it was negative (hard to tell with those crappy tests). yet, 6 months later, i start having these flashbacks or episodes of anxiety and distant visual perception. is it possible that the crap drug test is wrong and i might still have some in me? it was a loaded cracker and i don't have much of a tolerance.

currently, my appetite is still gone and my mouth is still dry. i'm extremely afraid of falling into the "trip-like" feeling again and i just want whatever it is to get out of me. will it subside with time as it did previously? does anybody know what's going on and how to fix it? any similar experiences?

my school has a mental health department, should i go in and have a professional attempt to diagnose me? i don't want to bring in "higher" powers if it's not necessary but at the same time i just feel scared and frightened. i keep thinking something bad is going to happen to me or i'm going to die or my heart is going to give out.

to add to the situation, i'm mostly isolated (not that many friends) and i feel slightly depressed at times. my mental health can definitely be called into question in addition to my pot experience (maybe an influential factor? no idea)

i just want to have everything normal again.

sorry if the post didn't make sense at times or rushed i'm still feeling scared and anxious.

any and all replies are much appreciated.

Are you sure it was a pot cracker? I mean ... how did you come up on it?
It's definitely not thc that's causing your problems.
I have heard of people being allergic to it but you would not be feeling the effects now .
Kinda sounds like maybe vertigo?
My ex had that once, he said it was really scary, he said the ground would rush up at him, I do remember him being pretty sick.
It was a long time ago though.
I would go to the doctors if I were you.
it's not the weed . Its nothing you took six months ago ..
I don't think it's a mental health issue . It sounds like a pretty serious medical issue.
Definitely go to the ER.
And rest assured it's not the weed

it tasted like shit (with the pot inside it) and i saw the little green pieces inside of it

initially i took half and felt really good but my dumbass decided to take more and thats when hell broke loose. classic pot cracker story right? :/

it cant be vertigo cause i didn't feel dizzy at all. there was a clear disconnect. after that day, i went to work and lived my life and everything and the feelings sort of went aside. i went to sleep without having to worry about falling in a trip and my feelings of being disconnected somewhat faded.

i want to leave the doctors out of this... for a while. i will definitely keep it in mind but going to the doctors raises a panic alarm in my parents' mind and i'm not going to resort to that just yet.

my best guess would be panic attacks. most of the symptoms matched what i was going through. as i mentioned, im an isolated person, i don't have many friends to talk to, school will start to stress me again, and i don't like my job/it's stressing me out too. so i think that social stresses along with occasional family stresses have awakened the demon in my brain or something.

you would figure its not the weed but i'm not sure. the "trip" (ill refer to it this way) i went through yesterday was very similar to the one i went through when i took the entire pot cracker. i can't help but think those events are related in some way. but then again i don't know. it took me 20 minutes to calm down from my trip yesterday versus the 2 hours it took me to calm down when i had the pot cracker.

again, it might be panic attacks manifesting through stress, maybe the pot forced it to become manifest, i dont know. ill see how it goes but the doctor's office, i feel, isnt the best idea right now. my school has a mental health department, should i go there and see what they have to say? its a lot more convenient than going to a doctor and nobody else will know (don't want to worry anyone at the moment).

thank you for your reply

I would go to the mental health at school if nothing else. But I think legally they have to tell your parents? I could be wrong .
Anywayz. . Hey what is
( dp/dr)?

Just so you know, you aren't alone. There are a LOT of us that have had variations on what you experienced.

I quit smoking pot back in 1980 because the paranoia it brought on was so intense that it completely, and I do mean completely, overwhelmed the good aspects of smoking. It was SO bad that I thought I was coming unglued every time I smoked. It killed me to quit because when it was good, it was better than good. But when it was bad, it was beyond unbearable, man...

So, I hear and respect what you are saying. And I am sorry you are going thru it. Its a shame...

One of the things that can happen when you have a panic-inducing experience is that it continues to feed on itself. The best thing that you can do now is to initiate and practice some self-calming techniques like mindfulness. When you begin to panic due to the physical sensations, ask yourself first, "Is this going to help or hurt the situation?" Then try to move--go for a walk, do stretches, go for a run if you like to run. Your heart is fine I'm sure and at this point it is probably not the effects of the drug rather it is anxiety over the effects of the drug.You need to make sure that you are covering all the basics of good nutrition, good sleep and plenty of exercise and then really work on self-talking out of anxiety. I do think it would be a good idea to go to your school's counseling department and make an appointment. Tell them you are dealing with anxiety and dp/dr and that you are looking for tools to overcome those.

You are at an intense time of life at 17. Many, probably most, people your age suffer a certain amount of anxiety. It is part of life. But learning healthy ways to deal with it now will be rewarding in ways you cannot imagine--no matter what the source of it is in the future.

Good luck and take a deep breath.;)<3

P.S. You can always ask a mod to move a thread for you. I'll close the duplicate in Mental Health for you or merge it if there are responses.

@yompf:
dp= depersonalization
dr= derealization

No, they do not have to tell your parents, though because you are a minor they may choose to if you are still in high school. I do not believe any university counselor would do this.

If you are worried about that simply focus on the mental health symptoms that are worrying you when you speak with the counselor.

Last edited:
the only thing that's still confusing is, why did i get it 6 months later? my first "flash" of anxiety, as i mentioned above, occurred when i was going to bed and then really came out the next day into a full blown attack. who's to say this won't happen again? i will keep the self calming techniques in mind (because i noticed that once i calmed myself down, i felt slightly better). i should be living a healthier lifestyle, my sleep schedule is all messed up and there's a ton of emotional/stressful issues i've been "sweeping under the rug" rather than addressing them. and i would have exercised or lifted weights during my panic induced trip/attack/etc but i was too focused on my heart giving out and the thought of death, so all i wanted to do was calm myself down and focus on staying alive :/

i will definitely visit my school's mental health department and see how i can cope with all the crap on my mind. hopefully i will be able to prevent this from happening in the future

thank you for your help herbavore !:)

One of the things that can happen when you have a panic-inducing experience is that it continues to feed on itself.

true, and it's not uncommon for people to come and post about experiencing such psychological trauma with pot and having it affect them for a while afterwards.

scrim, if it helps, nothing you described about your pot cracker experience is uncharacteristic. cannabis edibles hit a lot harder than the effects from smoking or vaping it and having too much for your tolerance leads to weird nervous-system effects but they are just temporary and haven't really damaged you.

i will definitely visit my school's mental health department and see how i can cope with all the crap on my mind. hopefully i will be able to prevent this from happening in the future

Try to find out if anybody you know has done the same before.

I'd be wary of being put on some type of list if I went to a campus nurse/psych' about illicit drug problems. I'm a paranoid fucker, though, so there's that to consider as well.

My guess on your last question, re: 6 months later, is that you're naturally predisposed to anxiety issues/disorder(s). In that case, it would be extremely plausible for the effects to come on immediately, or get catalyzed into revealing themselves a few months down the line, or even to have periodic episodes where the anxiety peaks, goes away after a few days and then peaks again some time later in the immediate future.

Anxiety's a cyclical thing, ime. Some days are great, some days are terrible, and some days you feel like you're literally on the edge between stability and melt-down, straddling that fence and hoping beyond hope that it doesn't get too windy while you're up there.

i should be living a healthier lifestyle, my sleep schedule is all messed up and there's a ton of emotional/stressful issues i've been "sweeping under the rug" rather than addressing them.

^^THAT,^^ however, leads me to think that you're working yourself up to an anxiety disorder. Internalizing every day shit and compartmentalizing emotions for years on end is, in my opinion, a big factor in why my mind's constantly bouncing contradictory thoughts back and forth and leaving me completely indecisive yet totally-informed about how to approach certain problems. My problem lies with balancing pro's and con's and then deciding which outweighs the other. That's some tricky shit, sometimes... it's easy to see the pros and cons, obviously, but it's exponentially more difficult for me to assign values to them and determine what might be the better choice in the long run. And THEN, and THEN you start to think about how each decision will effect multiple theoretical decisions down the line and in turn, do the same with those theoretical decisions and before you know it your mind's time-traveled three weeks ahead and two weeks behind, juggling about 9 different possible outcomes and just completely stuck about which route to choose.

I should probably be some kind of analyst or something, man.... figure all that shit out and then just push it up to a shot-caller. Can;t really do that when it comes to a personal life, though.

[EDIT: Scrim, I'd also like to point out that it's extremely refreshing to see a new user around here with this kind of problem that doesn't seem to be actively trolling the people trying to help. Kudos to you, man, and I hope this isn't a long-con but it really doesn't seem that way. I'm sure we'd appreciate any updates on how you're feeling as you try to tackle the problem.]

Last edited:
Thujone,

It's funny that you mentioned weird nervous system effects cause I don't know if the cracker brought out some issue i didn't see before (anxiety and whatnot). It definitely did mess me up in the moment but to have it appear again 6 months later is suspicious. I appreciate the reply though

And jibult,
True, I too would be suspicious of mentioning my pot experience in the university I'm going to. Being placed on a list or even having action taken against me (who knows) is the last thing I want.
I don't know if I'm naturally predisposed to it as this has never been an issue before my pot cracker experience. Could it have brought out some sort of hidden anxiety in me? Whatever the case may be I don't want it to happen again, and based on what you said, the thought of this episode happening again is terrifying. I don't want it to happen out of the blue when I'm at work or even in school. I was scared out of my mind in the comfort of my home, I can't even imagine how I would feel outside.

The cyclical part has proved somewhat true because after (and even before) I took the pot cracker, my mood and energy would always go up and down. Some days were brighter and better, while some days were absolute garbage. Currently, my "connection to the moment" as I call it is getting better. If this is a case of dp/dr, I have been feeling a little better. Yet I still don't feel how I used to. It's been confusing and draining the past couple of days. My energy hasn't been all that great and going to work just aggregates me more. Maybe this comes down to fixing my sleep and diet, etc, I don't know.

I do feel like i internalize my problems, bottle everything up, and over analyze anything and everything. Thoughts linger in my mind and I look for solutions when in reality I am just making the problem worse by over thinking. I'm just worried that the pot had a psychotropic effect on me or amplified the issues and stuff I already have tenfold. I don't know, that's what makes everything so confusing. Other forums I've posted on said that what I've been feeling the past couple of days is some sort of dp/dr and anxiety mixed together. I checked online and I strongly match to dp/dr "symptoms". Not that I'm trying to do the "good old quick webMD symptom search that could be a million things" but I just need answers.

And thank you for the compliment? :) . You guys are kind enough to take time out of your day to help out a stranger and some people waste your time/troll? Smh.

I'd be wary of being put on some type of list if I went to a campus nurse/psych' about illicit drug problems. I'm a paranoid fucker, though, so there's that to consider as well.

I went from an individual in my department > employee evaluation > psychiatric assessment > employee assistance/student counselling > indefinite medical leave (I am or was an employee and not student). Still seeing other doctors and awaiting a permanent psych doctor in a few weeks,

Was totally honest about my weed use (and prescriptions) first of all to employee wellness and union. Even managed to get my weed prescription renewed and increased while on leave for ptsd/lack of sleep.

Having known CBD/Indica strains help - but as a rule of thumb I do not advocate smoking your way through anxiety/panic attacks. It's stupid, but I'm not going to stop.

Tom

And thank you for the compliment? :) . You guys are kind enough to take time out of your day to help out a stranger and some people waste your time/troll? Smh.

You have no idea, man. 8(

The "predisposition to anxiety" is exactly what you mentioned in your next sentence-- just some latent factor in your genetics that makes a person more susceptible to the condition than the average person. You can be predisposed to all types of ailments (physical and mental), but that's not like a guarantee that anything'll develop on you. It just helps a person know things to avoid to prevent catalyzing any bullshit medical problems in the future.

I don't think there's like a test or anything to tell anxiety's a genetic thing for you, but if you have a good family relationship you could always just ask around and see if any of your closer blood relatives have struggled with this kind of thing. If they have then you've got your answer, man, but if they haven't then it's just something unique to you. Could still be anxiety, but it's more likely to be environmentally-caused as opposed to you having any preexisting issues.

I went from an individual in my department > employee evaluation > psychiatric assessment > employee assistance/student counselling > indefinite medical leave (I am or was an employee and not student). Still seeing other doctors and awaiting a permanent psych doctor in a few weeks,

Was totally honest about my weed use (and prescriptions) first of all to employee wellness and union. Even managed to get my weed prescription renewed and increased while on leave for ptsd/lack of sleep.

Having known CBD/Indica strains help - but as a rule of thumb I do not advocate smoking your way through anxiety/panic attacks. It's stupid, but I'm not going to stop.

Tom

That's awesome, man, but some uni's/colleges have really fucked up ways of "helping" their students who voluntarily come to them for help. Some schools are amazing about it so don't get me wrong, it's not a bad idea. It's just, like, say he was a student at Brigham Young University or somewhere similar? In that case, I'd advise to never tell anybody about your drug use if they're affiliated with your school in any way, shape, or form. Local college or a party school like Frostburg State or WVU? Probably wouldn't have any issues at all getting help, as they probably get a handful of walk-ins a week.

Just a quick update on my current condition so far:

I'm still not feeling 100% normal. I've been getting dizzy and lightheaded (especially at work) and have still been having feelings of being disconnected with my surroundings. I'm starting to think work is weighing me down and stressing me out and making whatever anxiety/stress I have worse, thus making me feel like trash. I've noticed that, whenever my senses are overwhelmed at work (hearing a lot going on and seeing a large group of people) I start to have sensations similar to when I had my previous attack or whatever it was. I thought about what people have been telling me, that it's "all in my head," yet whenever I try distracting myself, I come back to the fact that there's a lot going on around me, and I get anxious.

I plan on switching jobs and school starts soon for me. I don't want to walk into a new job or a new class dizzy and anxious and confused. Perhaps its time to check out the mental health department at my school? :(

And to what Jibult was saying,
I go to a public university that is very esteemed. It's difficult to get into and they pride themselves on being a top notch institution (which they most definitely are). I'm afraid I'm going to walk in, tell them about my weed situation as well as my anxiety and whatnot, and they're going to write my name down on some list, as you mentioned above. I don't want to give away any personal drug related incidences and then next thing I know I'm being kicked out. They seem very helpful and they look like they genuinely care. But again, will I get the boot or something similar for mentioning this?

I go to a public university that is very esteemed. It's difficult to get into and they pride themselves on being a top notch institution (which they most definitely are). I'm afraid I'm going to walk in, tell them about my weed situation as well as my anxiety and whatnot, and they're going to write my name down on some list, as you mentioned above. I don't want to give away any personal drug related incidences and then next thing I know I'm being kicked out. They seem very helpful and they look like they genuinely care. But again, will I get the boot or something similar for mentioning this?

Ah sorry, thought you were Canadian. Medical privacy is a charter right here, meaning very little risk/fear of disclosure.

I don't know which state you go to school in, but I would assess school's policy via a discrete inquiry to campus ombudsman and then if you're comfortable with the answer, go to the student/psych health office. And if there isn't a campus/student ombudsman, go to the student council (student administration's office)l; they *will* have someone in there who can tell you the specifics.

Good luck.

Tom

TD's got a good idea with the campus ombudsman thing.

Or hey, you could always just walk in and mention anxiety without disclosing drug use. Don't forget about that option, bud.

I don't think you'd get the boot (unless there's some kind of weird scholarship deal involved,) but they might make your college experience more irritating by giving you a bunch of hoops to jump through to prove your ongoing sobriety. I've seen it happen at a local community college before-- but I also know people who've gone for help within their school system and it was given with almost no questions asked and zero repercussions on their academic life.

I just wanted to point out that some schools are more helpful than others, and those less-than-helpful schools (like Brigham Young) probably would give a drug user the boot. I keep mentioning them because they're the strictest US school I know of, and I'm pretty sure it has to do with Mormonism.

Sounds like a visit to a doctor is in order. Just tell them your getting dizzy and having the symptoms you talked about. Don't mention smoking pot. Could be a brain disorder or a virus. Oh, and by the way. University of Ohio just did a study that revealed that teens that use pot prior to 17 had a permanent IQ drop of 8 points. Quit smoking.

Sounds like a visit to a doctor is in order. Just tell them your getting dizzy and having the symptoms you talked about. Don't mention smoking pot. Could be a brain disorder or a virus. Oh, and by the way. University of Ohio just did a study that revealed that teens that use pot prior to 17 had a permanent IQ drop of 8 points. Quit smoking.

An IQ drop isn't permanent until death.

Did you think an IQ test was a braincell count or something?

@ scrim

Do you have any stomach issues or intestinal discomfort??

Unless someother weird CNS disorder like Lyme's or something(actually weed good for Lyme) .......when people get the rapid heart beat it's caused by the anxiety not by the weed, thinking it's the weed then further increases anxiety/panic thereby causing a further psychological downward spiral into a bad/bummer trip IMHO.
Anxiety weeks/months later is exactly that----an anxiety/panic attack IMHO possibly kindled by the previous experience or low blood sugar as is getting dizzy.

OD for me causes very red eyes and pass/out or sleep generally, if I could even get up to go out in public would probably cause consternation and anxiety yes. My theory is OD also can cause low blood sugar(or exaggerate the psychological effects) so trying to eat something helps immensely in my experience. Hypoglycemia as a fact can causes anxiety/panic attacks.

Also youngsters(yes 17 is a youngster) generally have crappy ass diets anyway, not saying you do but eat lots of nuts(high in Mg) and cheeses on whole grains, ect. Soft boiled cage free high omega ,best raised and gathered yourself, eggs ect. you get the picture.
Throw out the soda pop,candy bars ect. they are addicting(from my own exp)

Last edited: