View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelics and schizophrenia

Godwintwo2

Greenlighter
Hey guys, I'm asking this out of curiosity and probably won't be making any decisions based on this thread but would really like to know how safe I would be in terms of developing schizophrenia if I took LSD. To begin I am a teenager on the much younger side and have an interesting level of experience with drugs all of which, except for cannabis being totally legal. I have done some very stupid things with nutmeg, for example which could only be described as a 16 hour panic attack. The next time I experimented with something, I smoked cannabis for the first time which was great and I have now used it five times although one of those five, I almost went insane. I actually saw a guy yell something at me and ended up running down the block terrified before I realised it was all a delusion and then spent the next week making posts obsessively asking if I would go insane. I have however, since then, smoked it again and felt amazingly relaxed and heavy. My family has no history of schizophrenia but does have bipolar and depression and anxiety and I consider myself as having been extremely anxious person as in, get hit in the head and worry that I'm gonna die at the age of 7 anxious in the past but now much less so. Both of my parents have taken psychedelics but for some reason swear by the fact that my risk for developing schizophrenia is very high. This really got me thinking and So I would just like to know if I am likely to have a predisposition to schizophrenia and if psychedelics could trigger it. And please keep in mind I have always been a little strange at times.

Any answers much appreciated

Cheers!

Unless you have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, don't worry about it. The rule of thumb is start small and INCH FORWARD.

You can learn more about psychedelics and bipolar by following this thread: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/823643-Psychedelics-and-bipolar

You can learn more about psychedelics and depression by following this thread: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/823370-Psychedelics-and-depression

Start off with 1/4 tab. If that goes well, a week later, try 1/2. Do that same amount several times (with at least a week between sessions). Advance no more than 1/4 tab at a time after that, and dose only once in a session. Don't take any other drugs during your trip. Pick a calm, familiar environment. You are better off not having to deal with unfamiliar persons and/or situations when you're tripping, so avoid that. Mixing weed with psychedelics is like skating on very thin ice for some people. It's a frequent cause of bad trips because it greatly intensifies the trip.
There is always a risk

Learn as much as you can.

Last edited:
Thanks mate, sorry I've taken so long to reply by this is some really usefull information. So maybe 20 - 30ug would be appropriate for a first timer? Another issue has popped up where I have been diagnosed as an over/under methylator I don't have much information on this but i believe it has something to do with a schizophrenia gene. Does anyone think this could be affected by a small dose of lsd?

Thanks mate, sorry I've taken so long to reply by this is some really usefull information. So maybe 20 - 30ug would be appropriate for a first timer?

20-30 µg of LSD is a threshold dose for most people: You can expect slight confusion, gigglyness, (not necessarily pleasant) stimulation, maybe some paranoia... but likely little to no visuals. On the other hand, a person in their early to mid teens who's suffering from mental health issues probably shouldn't take an actual psychedelic dose of LSD, especially if they've already gotten straight up delusional from doing too much weed in the past. Set and setting are crucial with psychedelics, and having to hide the fact that you're tripping balls from your parents is only going to add to your paranoia , since a moderate psychedelic dose of LSD (~100-150µg) dropped around noon is going to significantly affect you throughout the whole afternoon, with noticeable effects well into the evening.

Another issue has popped up where I have been diagnosed as an over/under methylator I don't have much information on this but i believe it has something to do with a schizophrenia gene. Does anyone think this could be affected by a small dose of lsd?

Even after a person is born, the activity of specific parts of their genetic code can be modified by the addition of methyl groups. If the wrong genes are methylated, your brain chemistry could end up with a lack of GABA (calming) and an excess of glutamate (excitatory), leading to a tendency toward anxiety and psychosis.

Last edited:
I have been diagnosed as an over/under methylator I don't have much information on this but i believe it has something to do with a schizophrenia gene. Does anyone think this could be affected by a small dose of lsd?

It would be helpful to know whether you are overmethylated, or undermethylated, and how you came to suspect this.

Overmethylation

Common symptoms of overmethylation include depression, paranoia, and the tendency to ruminate on thoughts. Overmethylated patients have elevated levels of serotonin. Anxiety and depression are the main symptoms of overmethylation.

Undermethylation

Common symptoms of undermethylation are a history of high accomplishment, perfectionism, OCD tendencies and ritualistic behaviors. Most people with symptoms of undermethylation are
highly motivated and have addictive personalities. Undermethylated patients have a genetic tendency to be depressed in calcium, magnesium, methionine, and Vitamin B-6, with excessive
levels of folic acid. Many individuals diagnosed with mental illnesses have severe undermethylation which is associated with dangerously low serotonin activity.

-Mensah Medical

-----

Comments from others in light of the above would be most welcome.

Last edited:
Ah ok so Do u reckon it would be a bad idea to ingest a dose as low as 20ug? FYI I am currently an overmethylator but was originally diagnosed as an undermethylator when a doctor recommended to get a blood test. I find this information you provided very interesting though as the symptoms list seems to describe me perfectly as I have switched between under and over methylation.

Cheers!

I am currently an overmethylator but was originally diagnosed as an undermethylator when a doctor recommended to get a blood test.

Ok, so your blood test indicated you are an undermethylator...? Why do you believe you are an overmethylator now? Are you taking any prescription meds?

Yes, at first but I then took a blood test every three months and lately I've been showing up as an overmethylator. I am taking compound supplements for the methylation which I suppose pushed me to an overmethylator and the only other script I take is vyvanse for my ADHD.

Here are some reports I found:

If Vyvanse is your regular medication and it doesn't normally make you feel too speedy it shouldn't have any effect, there's no real interaction
between the two. LSD acts mainly on a subtype of the serotonin system whereas Vyvanse is dopamine.

-flightm0de

-----

I take Vyvanse too. 60mg. My suggestion is don't take it the day you trip. Or take it after it really isn't still affecting you. For me this would be like 4pm.

-hewcbhs

-----

If you're able to skip Vyvanse without discomfort, I'd recommend skipping your dose that day just to get the "pure" LSD effects rather than the combination.

-sertonergic_fnord

-----

Make sure that if you will be coming down from Vyvanse and are taking LSD that you have a benzo on hand to calm you down.

-fuck_bestbuy

-----

I combine Dexedrine and LSD I've never had a problem feeling over stimulated. Don't forget LSD has a lot of stimulant qualities so it's pretty much combining stimulants.
Test your LSD if you're gonna do the combo. You absolutely don't want anything but LSD.

-trippy_toaster

-----

Vyvanse and LSD are the complete opposite although both stimulating. I'd say take a low dose of acid and you'll still be social. That's just my two cents.

-LiquidVisions

-----

I use Vyvanse for ADHD so it actually calms me down and makes me a lot happier and less emotional. I tried to get off of Vyvanse, but I just got really emotional and started smoking.
I don't want stop taking Vyvanse and then be going into withdraw when I'm on LSD. Vyvanse is long lasting by the way. It works in your system in about the same time that LSD does.

-jackdaniels

-----

I take Vyvanse as well. I find that if my dosage has been stable for a very long time, you are better off taken what your prescribed or even half the dosage. Anxiety from lack of dopamine
has always seemed to mix negatively with me when combined with something so energetic as LSD. Doing psychs in withdraw is not smart.

Either abstain for 2 weeks so you can take LSD free of amps, or take some amount of your normal dosage. Vyvanse is forgiving because it is purely D-amp that is released into your system which is much more smooth than an "Adderall High" with L-amp. I don't think it will hurt your experience too much if you are acclimated to it.

Now if you take your medication inconsistently (like I do) and its still speeds you up, then be careful and do a smaller dose. I suggest you take your Vyvanse dose early in the morning, and
trip much later or at night. By then, the Vyvanse will be hardly having any stimulatory effect, and at the same time will prevent withdraw while LSD takes over.

-Happiness4Dogs

-----

Mind that I have no personal experience with this combo, nor am I a biochemist or a doctor, so I really cannot advise you. Whatever you decide, I would say proceed with extreme caution. Read as much as you can. There is plenty of information to be found. Just try searching using "Vyvanse LSD."

In any case, I suggest not smoking weed during your trip.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this research, this information has really helped me out and since I only take vyvanse a few times a week, it does still have a minor speedy effect on me so I reckon I'd just take a small dose of vyvanse at the beginning of the day which might take the edge off and make it smoother to ride out.
Thanks man

Cheers!

Ah yes, I forgot about those but would they really be a risk at such a low dose? Also I've heard that psychedelics can change the way weed feels so does anyone think there would be a higher risk in weed use after micro dosing on acid?

Cheers!

Ah yes, I forgot about those but would they really be a risk at such a low dose? Also I've heard that psychedelics can change the way weed feels so does anyone think there would be a higher risk in weed use after micro dosing on acid?

Answer to your first question: No.
Answer to your second question: There is always a risk.

@mr peabody;
I love your ability to provide pertinent research - astonishing! thankyou.

@godtwintwo2;
I think you will like 30u
If you're able to skip Vyvanse without discomfort, I'd recommend skipping your dose that day just to get the "pure" LSD effects rather than the combination.

-sertonergic_fnord

Cheers!
I know a guy who casually used psychs like acid and mushrooms... smokes weed everyday...
and recently He has been using way too much acid. He stopped and still smokes weed everyday...
and He is still experiencing a " sort of 'psychosis' ".

Oh ok, well I'm off weed and other drugs at the moment anyway but the reason I ask is because I was wondering if the occasional quarter tab would be good to just experience something new and appreciate nature and slightly enhance senses etc, but not to actually trip, which I feel would be safer than the regualar use of weed. However my family history of mental illness has got me slightly worried although no one has schizophrenia they have all experimented with psychedelics in their time. Does this occasional use at extremely low doses sound like a good way to improve my lifestyle?

Cheers!

Oh ok, well I'm off weed and other drugs at the moment anyway but the reason I ask is because I was wondering if the occasional quarter tab would be good to just experience something new and appreciate nature and slightly enhance senses etc, but not to actually trip, which I feel would be safer than the regualar use of weed. However my family history of mental illness has got me slightly worried although no one has schizophrenia they have all experimented with psychedelics in their time. Does this occasional use at extremely low doses sound like a good way to improve my lifestyle?

Cheers!

It might be a nice boost for you, many people report microdosing psychedelics to really be a good thing for energy and motivation and depression. I'd say that if you feel up to it, give it a try and see what it's like for you. I think microdosing LSD occasionally would certainly be better for you than daily weed smoking, marijuana can exacerbate mental illness and depression quite a bit more than many people think, when used chronically.

you know, after reading these, I really think LSD has so much potential than laws let it live up to... shame really. I suppose I'll give this a shot when I feel the time is right and save cannabis for occasions and at a better age. If this isn't the right Decision, feel free to inform me on your opinion. Thanks guys.

Cheers!

Oh yeah, and forgot to mention, could a dose this low affect the way weed feels? Joust out of interest

Cheers!