L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

AM(a)A about being transgender

Emptty

Bluelighter
This is continuation of some discussion over on CE&P, I don't particularly want to continue a lot of the more bigoted debate that was brought up there however I do want to give those with well-meaning questions a chance to ask them.

This is not an AMA it's an AM(a)A or an ask me almost anything. I don't want people to feel as if I'm avoiding their questions however there are numerous questions I get when opening up about being trans that either function as bait to lead into transphobic arguments or that I have answered so many times before I literally just do not have the patience to repeat myself on.

So before we start let me cover three things, this may be long so I apologize in advance.

First why am I qualified to answer your questions?
I was labelled female at birth after the doctors took a look in my nether regions and said it's a girl, later on I discovered that I am not a girl despite what's in my pants. I am very much a boy and as I got older I grew to be highly uncomfortable being perceived as anything else so over the past 6 years I have transitioned socially and physically, I have come out to essentially everyone in my life and asked that they call me by a new name and use he/him pronouns for me. In 2015 I legally changed my name and in 2016 I began taking Testosterone to modify my appearance and make it simpler to be perceived as a man in my everyday life. I have plans to surgically remove my breasts and to legally change my gender marker as well. My doctors are in full support of all of this and I've honestly seen nothing but improvement in my mental health since I began living as who I am. So to put it in the most simple terms I'm qualified to speak about being transgender because I've lived that experience for most of my life.

Secondly "You admit to having dissociative identity disorder in your other AMA, how can you be sure your trans identity isn't a part of that? Does that mean all trans people are mentally ill/confused?"
I've been waiting for this question to come up so honestly I'm just gonna deal with it now. I do have DID, I cannot prove that in my case identifying as male is not an aspect of that as some of my alters do identify with other genders. That said whether it is a part of my DID is irrelevant to whether or not I have the right to be perceived and treated as a man, because I identify as and am a man I still retain that right regardless of what it is that makes me a man.

You might argue letting me live as a man is enabling a mental illness in that case, however it is also irrelevant to my right to transition. Even if we assume it is related to my DID the only scenario in which I would no longer identify this way is if I were to integrate with my other alters. Integration is not the only treatment path for DID and in many ways can be a harmful one, it is not the path me and my doctors have chosen to pursue. This means no matter how much I address my mental illness and how much treatment for it I get I will always ID as male and if I do not transition I will always have dysphoria over it that worsens my mental health. With the guidance of professionals I have decided in my case social and physical transition is the best option regardless of whether or not my trans identity stems from my dissociative disorder.

As for whether this is evidence to support being transgender as a mental illness, fuck no it ain't. DID is not a horribly common condition and my situation is extremely exceptional. The vast majority of transgender people do suffer from some form of depression, anxiety or PTSD due to how they're treated for being trans but those things do not cause the degree of identity alteration DID does. They don't even come close. Transgender people can be mentally ill however in the vast majority of cases their mental illness is in no way the cause of their trans identity, many trans people are actually screened for mental illness before being permitted to transition and are only cleared to do so when it can be shown their identity is unrelated to any mental health issues. This screening process is something even I had to go through and was only able to be cleared for because my doctors could show transition was still the best choice in my case. Trans people, like anyone else, can be mentally ill but being trans is a natural variation in the human experience and not inherently an illness. That's as far as I'm willing to argue this point and anyone who attempts to use my own exceptional situation to imply every trans person is sick will be ignored as that's not only transphobic but incredibly disrespectful to my personal experience.

Lastly what questions and comments will I not be answering?
"Being trans is a mental illness/give me proof being trans isn't a mental illness"
I've gone over this so many fucking times if I have to talk about it even one more time I'm going to take 7mg of xanax and sleep for the next two days. Read the DSM and talk to any licensed professional that's up to date on their continuing education, they'll tell you the exact same things I would.

"Being trans is a sexual perversion"
Being trans has nothing to do with sex it has to do with what gender you are.

Some dumb commentary equating penises to men and vaginas to women or doing the same with chromosomes
Biological sex is a lie and based on entirely asinine concepts that have a very loose and overall poor basis in any actual science. I could argue this point further but I won't because it's complex and quite frankly tiring to really get into. Anyways anyone who's going to question the validity my gender based on my genitals is obviously here to start an argument not to ask genuine questions, and I don't owe those people my energy.

-Insert any variation of literal hate speech here- ie. intentional use of slurs, saying you want trans people to die, talking about how you'd like to hurt a trans person etc.
Keep it in the CE&P thread, this is a thread for people who don't treat hate speech as political opinions and are here to try and empathize with other people instead of dehumanizing them.

With all that covered go on and ask me (almost) anything about what it's like to be transgender!

Fair play to ya for being so open.
If your a man in a woman body does it feel weird to let a man have sex with you as a woman?

Fair play to ya for being so open.
If your a man in a woman body does it feel weird to let a man have sex with you as a woman?

It definitely can feel strange to have vaginal sex when you're a trans man, the biggest factor in making it feel ok for me is to do it with a partner who I know perceives me as male regardless of what part of my body they're putting their dick in.

Over time I've also found it's gotten easier as I've changed how I think about my body, I've tried to move away from seeing it as a woman's body that I'm stuck in and more towards seeing it as my body thus removing any implications of inherent gender from it. This allows me to have a less dysphoria inducing relationship with the parts of my body that get used during sex and to no longer perceive vaginal sex as identical to having sex as a woman. Rather it's having sex as a man that happens to have a vagina.

And on the days it's just to much still I've learned it can help to visualize myself as having a different body during sex, or I can stick with oral or even try out a strap on. There are definitely ways around the dysphoria that comes up during sex, I know some trans men can't manage as well as I have but personally I've found a lot of ways to combat the weird way it can feel to have sex with other men when you're a trans man.

What are the hormone regimens you are taking? Have they had any effect on your periods? Are you considering having your uterus removed and/or ovaries?

I know one person who was known as Kerry and was a woman I worked with but is now a man called Lee. He went through this change a lot later in life than you and has had breasts and uterus removed, has not has ovaries removed as that would bring in early horrible menopause and has not had any genital surgery as the risk of losing sensation is too risky.

He is a completely different person in a good way now and seems a lot happier and settled. Living as a woman he was pretty aggressive and had a bad drug problem. I guess its an obvious way to deal with issues.

What are the hormone regimens you are taking? Have they had any effect on your periods? Are you considering having your uterus removed and/or ovaries?

I take Androgel once a day right now, which with my prescription provides 40mg of Testosterone per dose I believe. I'm planning to switch over to IM Tesosterone injections as I find taking daily medications difficult with my executive dysfunction and poor memory.

They have stopped my periods but I can start menstruating again if I forget to take more than 2 or 3 doses in a row.

I am planning to have my uterus and ovaries removed to prevent future complications although I don't plan to modify the external aspects of my reproductive system, there are just some medical issues that can arise after about a year of taking Testosterone while still having an intact internal reproductive system. Usually the chance of going through menopause when removing ovaries is negated by the Testosterone however if someone were to stop taking testosterone and have no ovaries to replace it with estrogen they would then go into menopause because of it.

What is AMA and what is CE&P
I count myself M2F trans but of the non-op variety, all sorts of reasons.
People can be pretty dumb about trans and intersex issues.
I have a friend who had genital reconstruction, but having a penis built is quite complicated surgery. He had a lot of trouble during the healing stage but eventually he become the proud owner of a working dick.

It would be pretty interesting to have an update as to how successful the lastest procedures are. Working back in public health fifteen years ago the results were pretty touch and go. I only saw a few myself but thats because they went wrong and I worked in pathology at the time. Im pretty sure there would be a lot of advances in this by now.

I know a lot of the genital surgeries tend to be hit and miss right now, I've never been satisfied enough with any of the options to really want to go through with it even though I plan to pursue every other form of physical transition. I'd imagine they're a lot better than they used to be but sex reassignment still isn't a widely performed surgical procedure and it's definitely very complex when you start working on something as detailed as a persons genitalia, so results still aren't horribly promising from what I've seen.

m2f on the other hand seems be to fairly successful. There are of course still disasters but they seem to be relatively rare.
You have yet to have the mastectomy. How much will that cost you? Do you use binders at present?

Over time I've also found it's gotten easier as I've changed how I think about my body, I've tried to move away from seeing it as a woman's body that I'm stuck in and more towards seeing it as my body thus removing any implications of inherent gender from it. This allows me to have a less dysphoria inducing relationship with the parts of my body that get used during sex and to no longer perceive vaginal sex as identical to having sex as a woman. Rather it's having sex as a man that happens to have a vagina.

That is pretty revolutionary. ¡Viva la revolución! :)

I think that the few cultures that have traditionally accepted that gender is a matter of the spirit and not the body only were pretty advanced. My gender ID and body match but just like wishing I were bilingual, I have often wished that I could experience a reality beyond gender altogether. The closest I have gotten to a below-the-surface understanding of the masculine world has been raising sons. That experience made me a lot more curious about just what gender ID really is and why we insist on the binary view of it.

If transgender isnt a disorder then whats with the 41% attempted suicide rate? I would think this high of a rate would point to some disorder going on.

If transgender isnt a disorder then whats with the 41% attempted suicide rate? I would think this high of a rate would point to some disorder going on.

I would speculate (if that statistic is even real) that it is a reflection on societal attitudes towards transgendered people

I would speculate (if that statistic is even real) that it is a reflection on societal attitudes towards transgendered people

Absolutely trans people often feel so isolated that they have the feeling there is no place in the world for them. In some countries there also high levels of aggression directed at trans.
Fortunately the situation in (western) Europe is improving and medical care is covered by social insurance.
Even so suicidal thoughts begin in puberty and it takes a while for a young person to realize he/she is not alone.
Post-op suicide rates are also relatively high. In the past it has been so that the post-op finds herself back in society without much of a social support network and sometimes without a job, although in most of W Europe it is now illegal to fire somebody because they change gender presentation. Nowadays with facebook groups and forums for TGs abounding the isolation is somewhat less of a problem.
For M2Fs the impact of hormones may also lead to depressive states.
F2Ms are generally regarded as having better social skills and better able to reintegrate.

The suicide rate is a direct result of the way trans people are treated, mental health does tend to improve post-op and post-hormones however having your body align with your ID is not the only factor in preventing depression. It's also important that trans people don't face violence and trauma for being themselves and that they feel other people perceive and respect them as their gender. Without that extra support eliminating dysphoria isn't possible because trans people are still forced to see themselves as broken and unacceptable by societal standards for something that is inherent to their identity.

Put simply someone can be suicidal w/o being mentally ill, someone who is depressed because they have an awful job or an awful relationship or are otherwise living a life they don't want may not technically be sick and would be fine if those environmental factors were improved. Same goes for someone who is trans and whose environmental factors are preventing them from living authentically.

m2f on the other hand seems be to fairly successful. There are of course still disasters but they seem to be relatively rare.
You have yet to have the mastectomy. How much will that cost you? Do you use binders at present?

I'm not totally sure how much it'll cost, it's gonna depend on what my insurance will cover. If I were paying myself it would be somewhere in the range of $30k-$50k. I do use a binder right now and my chest is fairly small after being on testosterone for over a year so with a binder it looks completely flat.

Whats your take on the whole public toilet thing?
I gotta pee just like anyone else and personally I'd prefer to do it in a restroom that fits my gender (aka the mens room). Honestly I avoid public restrooms right now because I worry about my safety, walking into the women's room makes me look out of place because I don't look like a woman on first glance but it only takes one person in the men's room realizing I'm trans for me to get my ass kicked. I don't know that my feelings would change if the law was more supportive of my right to choose which bathroom I use, I would need to know that the people in the bathroom are too.

But I'd still like to see restrooms be more open to other trans people who need to pee and are more willing to take that risk than I am, I don't see how allowing people to choose the restroom they use opens anything up for genuine predators like people who are for bathroom bills usually claim. If I'm peeking on people or behaving in a way that's predatory I expect to get the cops called on my ass regardless of my gender and which bathroom I'm in, I'd think it's just a given that predatory behavior shouldn't be tolerated from anyone. But if like most trans people I'm just trying to piss I'd like to do that in peace in whichever restroom stall seems fitting. Away from any creepy questions about what genitals I have.

Really? Are you sure about that? If you've gone as far as to physically change your sex then you should already be certain in yourself, because after all you know already that the masses are not totally accepting of this, and probably never will be. Maybe it's not society that needs to reflect on its societal values but instead the those who wish to transition who need to really question themselves first to understand whether this procedure is actually what they require, and not some underlying mental or traumatic issue from their past.

I have a knack for coming off offensive/ not PC so I'm gonna give this my best shot. I agree trans folk with bein able to transition after a lengthy "trial &tests" period ; not against LGBT or anything but I have a curious mind and need to understand sociology/psychology of everything around me.

If you do not define gender as chromosomes/sex organs, and do not define it as how you look, how you act, what you like sexually or otherwise, how you dress, personality etc etc, what is it? Is it just a "feeling"? To me it seems "male" and "female" have kind of lost their meaning. These days a person with breasts, a vagina, with long hair, wearing dresses, attracted to men, could define themselves as male, right?(stereotypical/historically "feminine" stuff)

So I guess my question is, do you think masculine/feminine male/female have been kind of "forced" out of their traditional meanings? Also, another question- how do you feel about there being a new label for sexuality or identity everyday? It seems they get more obscure and oddly specific, it's hard to keep track of and everyone has their own special sounding word instead of "im (masculine/feminine/both etc) and I'm attracted to (masculine/feminine/both etc)" or even better "I'm Joe- watch and you will learn who I am"

I'm also big on words and how their original meanings can be quickly lost. Don't even get me started on what happened to "literally" in the last ~5 years.

Last edited: