• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Raising Consciousness

Ninae

Bluelighter
I thought I would make a thread for the new year (I won't set any parameters for it) about what I think this is the most important topic of all these days. I was able to a lot about it the last year and it's really changed my life for the better and made me see things differently in all kinds of ways.

I'll briefly expain what I mean by raising consciousness. It can have two meanings:

1. Elevation

This means raising it to become more positive, taking it to a higher emotional level, so you can be in more love and joy, etc. Making it lighter.

Being in the high levels is normally only possible in the first years of human life, or childhood, when you enjoy ideal circumstances in life, or when you're using some kind of uplifting drug (or cheat).

But you can also learn to raise your consciousness it in itself, so your happiness becomes more self-derived, and you're not as needy on the outside world. I think we can all see how this would be an advantage.

2. Expansion

This means raising your consciousness as in becoming more aware of things. When you're not aware of something it's like you're blind to it so you're helpless in a sense.

With awareness of things also comes the ability to understand them, as you need to be aware of something to understand it, so there's a releationship between awareness and intelligence. Or in general, the more aware the more intelligent you are.

Higher awareness allows you to take more control of your life. How you're perceived by others, how you interact with other people, how you make a living in this world, etc. It's what makes all the difference.

So you can see how having a higher consciousness in both ways can only be a good thing, and at this point we have fortunately developed many consciousness-raising technologies. Only not many are still aware of them. Apart from maybe meditation, but there is much more than that.

There's a lot to say about it, but this was really what I wanted to talk about in the Enlightenment thread. Or like I said I didn't so much want to start a discussion about the final state of enlightenment and whether it's possible to achieve, but rather about how to get there or the process of it. My meaning of enlightenment is mostly raising consciousness.

It's hard for me to understand why someone would have no interest in what can make the most positive difference in their life. But I guess it's because they don't even believe they have a consciousness or that it's possible to raise it. Well, you have, and you can!

So you can see how having a higher consciousness in both ways can only be a good thing, and at this point we have fortunately developed many consciousness-raising technologies. Only not many are still aware of them. Apart from maybe meditation, but there is much more than that.

Any chance of elaboration?

Well, there are the traditional methods...

Meditation, yoga asanas, breathing exercises, prayer, mantras, sacred songs, study and reflection on spiritual literature, being in nature, eating more raw/plant food, celibacy, and living with high moral standards and according to the non-violence principle.

Getting into a regime of doing these things would be hard not to change you. There are also all kinds of modern methods but I think these are the most powerful. They mainly work to purify you of ego-energies and attune you to the higher self, and that's all it really takes.

I was more hoping for elaboration on modern methods, yes. Even links would be fine.

There's so much, I don't even know to begin. In modern parlance it's called "Becoming conscious" and there's a lot of books and websites about how to become more conscious in general, if you look for it.

Also, look into transpersonal psycholgy and working with the ego and higher self (like Stephen Hawkins). Shadow-work, to reduce the negative unconscious, based on Jungian philosphy. Cognitive therapy, or learning to take control of your thought forms and use them more positively.

All sorts of self-help techniques can be helpful for it if they help to reduce negativity and make you more conscious. Like Eckhart Tolle's books, or more Zen thinking. Alternative therapies like acupuncture, healing, sound therapy, etc. I think all these things can help if you work on it.

Beautiful indeed! Thank you for posting Ninae! :)

I also highly recommend a book/guide "Sacred Therapies" by David Shannahoff-Khalsa - it deals with a lot of human issues, has DSM-4 categorization (may be a DSM-5 for newer releases), has lots of mantras and meditation techniques with pictures and detailed descriptions! Very practical book! ;)

I have also experimented with complete silencing - I did not utter a single word for 41 days in a row, it was something!
I was carrying a notepad with a pen attached to it on my neck and that's how I communicated with people. I couldn't even get fired from my job because the boss and management were simply shocked by my behavior and allowed me to proceed with the experiment.

It yielded a lot of insights, in particular that talking and dividing is a direct ego function and that every word we say MATTERS because it resonates infinitely in our psyche, thus creating or destroying. Also it showed me how ineffective and automated most of our human relations are, unfortunately.

People must get their consciousness raised!

Yes, that was really a glimpse of a beautiful expression of human life. Imagine if we had stuff like that broadcasted to us 24/7 instead of the stuff we DO get. It would be an entirely different world, but most seem to want what they do get.

Raising consciousness is not like enlightenment. It's something that is possible for everyone to do, and when you start to experiement with it you get instant results and can see for yourself. And it seems to be the whole purpose of coming into this madhouse, with the hope that you will leave with a higher consciousness than when you arrived. So you might as well get down to it, instead of learning the hard way.

Imagine if we had stuff like that broadcasted to us 24/7 instead of the stuff we DO get. It would be an entirely different world, but most seem to want what they do get.
^^^
Imo people need to come to that realization by themselves. That's where I see karma "in play" - some people are able to see through the illusion, some will be able to see within their lifetime and some are bound to be slaves to their sensory pleasures till their end of the cycle.
Nevertheless the only cure for mass ignorance is the light of consciousness!

Yes, only they're not conditioned to see it as ignorance, they're conditioned to see themselves as enlightened! And most people need the stamp of approval from academia and mass media before they will even consider anything. But by then it has all already happened and you weren't part of that.

"Stamp of approval" - yep, only from an institution is legitimacy of one's voice gained (/sarcasm).

You mentioned in your first sentence of the OP's #2 section of "becoming more aware of things." To me, that's exponentially easier after one's self is divorced from the perception that groups of people (i.e. institutions) exist primarily because their collective beliefs are superior to the 'unconnected.'

Always liked the Doug Gwyn quote "Truth is not determined by majority vote." Probably self-evident to more than a few members here at this point in their travels, but in the everyday common-area crowd, all these conventions of groupthink are as evident as the sky being blue, so it seems.

Yes, good points. Most seem to feel if there has been no official recognition of something it's just not reality. When really what of scientific research is made public is only a small part of it. There's just a big delay before it's allowed to become part of mass culture. But that doesn't mean those things didn't exist before.

My method is psychedelics. I think God put them here for a reason, i.e. we need them to get to certain states of awareness.
I don't think the average person can will themselves into an acid trip by meditating/sensory deprivation/intention/etc.
I think that's why the plants are here.

Yea. But what do you do when you can't take drugs? If you can take drugs when you want there's not much impetus to work on raising your consciousness because you can raise it artificially.

But when you can't that suddenly becomes very interesting. Now you have to live in your own energies so you might as well start working to improve them, or that would be the most constructive thing to do.

The first part is to clear up your ego energies. But ideally you start to identify with your higher self more and more, that's the real way to raise your consciousness.

I don't think the average person can will themselves into an acid trip by meditating/sensory deprivation/intention/etc.
- It is possible though. I have done it - some results were well exceeding my expectations! I was really high for about 15 Hrs once after a long meditating session (with lots of preparations) that was somewhat similar to the feeling I get on lysergamides, other few times I was briefly "shot out there" almost like with DMT.
I admit I have achieved such states already after trying mushrooms many times so my brain might have "learned" how to propel itself.
I've read some interesting research papers on brain chemistry of meditating monks comparing to those tripping on psychedelics, but I cant remember where I put them...

Plants and chemicals are undeniably great tools for unlocking potential within but they also posses a danger for ego trapping and fixating on using them because most of the times psychedelic trips are very beautiful and rewarding!..

map-of-consciousness.jpg

I guess I should include Hawkins map of consciousness.

It really helps to make the subject more understandable and also let you see how the ego-energies work. He was a real genius who received many honours for his work, which is an interesting combination of spiritual teaching and psychiatry.

http://veritaspub.com/about_us.php

Last edited:
Oh yea, you can check out the Institute of Noetic Sciences that Hawkins founded. It has a more serious approach. He really contributed a lot to making it more of a part of science/academica.

http://www.noetic.org/research/overview

But this research and outlook is very little known yet. And I guess people prefer to think of the consciousness crowd as airy-fairy new agers/hippies.

The Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS) institute was founded by astronaut Edgar Mitchell. Story goes he had a spiritual experience in space while looking down at earth and years later founded the institute in part to stimulate a discussion of non-ordinary states of consciousness using a more academic approach. IONS is in my neighborhood, I've been there several times. Hawkins lectured there many times but was never affiliated with it, that's probably the source of confusion. Hawkins founded several institutes of his own, just not IONS.