View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Wim Hoff the iceman Holotropic breathing method for natural dmt release

cactisurfer

Greenlighter
Has anyone tried it and how would you compare to smoking dmt vs releasing your own? It works:)

I don't know where you heard Wim Hoff breathing method releases DMT, it is very unlikely and no endogenous release of DMT in the brain has ever been proved to happen. As far as today it is just an unproven theory.

I am not very experienced with his method though I have tried. It is basically hiperventilation as far as I can see. I respect his achievements though I am not very impressed by his talk. I am very interested in the method though and probably should look further into it.

And as a final note and to answer your main question, if you ever try smoked DMT I suspect you will find it is a whole new ball game.

Last edited:
This is the video on youtube that got me to start learning this method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4aHEqEJ8Ys&t=265s you can find all the videos you need to explain how its done I have gone deep I had an out of body experience where I saw a flying insect liquid metal alien creature that was going in my brain doing repairs is the felling I got and I welcomed the work. Yes its just like smoking minus the smoking tasting it I was am still am in amazment. Try it:)It had a changa build I have only done the substance 5 times changa twice and this is gona be my 3rd time later today for this method. It and my upcoming ibogaine 5meo therapy are what have inspired meto make my first two posts.This website has taught me alot probably saved my life. This was my first entity contact as I never fully broke thru before. Or was not ready.[FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif] He is working with Strassman[/FONT]

Last edited:
for some reason the videos I have posted on this and my other threat on the Poem called Mapping the Source by the Teafairie start half way thru, when u click the link so jst click back to the beginning until someone tells me how to post it the right way

I don't know where you heard Wim Hoff breathing method releases DMT, it is very unlikely and no endogenous release of DMT in the brain has ever been proved to happen. As far as today it is just an unproven theory.

I am not very experienced with his method though I have tried. It is basically hiperventilation as far as I can see. I respect his achievements though I am not very impressed by his talk. I am very interested in the method though and probably should look further into it.

And as a final note and to answer your main question, if you ever try smoked DMT I suspect you will find it is a whole new ball game.
DMT is surely endogenous. I do however doubt that breathing a certain way would increase the amount you produce.

Yes, it has been proven that DMT is contained in the brain, but what has not been proven is if DMT is also exocytosed in the brain (let alone if it is exocytosed by Holotropic breathing!)

It's true that DMT occurs naturally in the brain, but likely only in sub-active amounts as a byproduct of serotonin production. Breathing techniques create a dissociative effect by increasing the level of carbon dioxide in the bloodstream. In combination with meditation, breathing techniques have the potential to create worthwhile psychedelic experiences, but any connection to DMT or other serotonergic activity is baseless conjecture. It's good to keep an open mind, but treating unproven assumptions as facts only serves to reinforce negative preconceptions about psychedelic culture.

^I agree. I've heard a lot of people spouting false information about DMT. This generally involves people misrepresenting information published in Strassmans book (i.e they claim that the topics which he repeatedly stresses are simply ideas/proposals, are actually proven scientific facts). Anybody who's read the book will know that this isn't the case.

That said, I'm interested in hearing more from the OP, or anybody else who's done this kind of stuff. I've never really bothered with anything like this because 1. I'm lazy and 2. I assumed it probably wouldn't work.

But then again, if I hadn't taken psychedelics I wouldn't really believe or understand that the things which can happen on DMT and Salvia are possible.

I was skeptical and then a couple minutes in I had that yellow neon light to everything in and around me and got a deja Vu feeling aka changa or enhanced dmt the one that gradually builds with each toke instead of a sling shot haha. I know I can and will and could have gone much deeper, but one of the comments on a video of his made a very important point that you could obstruct an airway if u were by yourself and Wim is being reckless imo by not making that a warning at the beginning of any instructional video. With that said its unproven but I feel very comfortable with listening and putting my some faith to a man that holds 28 world records and has done things that no other human that has been recorded in modern times has. There are videos seeming to come out by the day as he travels the world teaching his tech... So yes unproven theory is right but the colors visuals were 80 percent similar. Its causing some kind of biological chain of events. I have called off any further trial and error until I have a friend to instruct me and keep an eye as both are needed here. someone else gives it a go. Im really stoked on it for the personal development aspect as well I have and am making the biggest changes and moves in my life one of those is ibogaine and to know I can create a visual psychedelic experience that releases and help me work thru pain with out ingesting something is comforting as weel as the physical feats surfing bigger waves thing like that has made this info very intriguing.

How long does it take to get a hold on it and I might give it a go.

http://www.pepijnvanerp.nl/2016/01/wim-hof-method/
The breathing Hof promotes comes down to repeatedly taking 30 deep breaths in a row, followed by keeping your breath for as long as you can.

by the way,
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22371425
it is a review of other articles in which a claim was made that DMT is endogenous.
It is not endogenous.
We have undertaken a critical review of 69 published studies reporting the detection or detection and quantitation of these compounds in human body fluids. In reviewing this literature, we address the methods applied and the criteria used in the determination of the presence of DMT, MDMT, and HDMT. The review provides a historical perspective of the research conducted from 1955 to 2010, summarizing the findings for the individual compounds in blood, urine, and/or cerebrospinal fluid. A critique of the data is offered that addresses the strengths and weaknesses of the methods and approaches to date. The review also discusses the shortcomings of the existing data in light of more recent findings and how these may be overcome

this does not mean that the work to establish DMT being endogenous is good, it is actually bad news for believers, but for those who cannot interpret this paragraph, the bottom line is that the tests are not scientifically convincing.

I can't fully say as I've never actually done DMT, but I've done a lot of 'weaker' psychedelics (e.g. morning glory, mushrooms, LSD, 2C-B, 25-I NBOME) in everything ranging from light to fairly heavy doses. I also have done a bit with meditation exercises and holotropic breathwork. In my experience, any sort of breathwork and/or meditation does not reach the spaces that one can reach with any of these psychedelics. Since DMT is even more intense and visual than the experiences I have had, I highly doubt it's even possible for anyone to reach DMT type headspaces from any sort of breathwork or meditation considering that I have meditated regularly on and off for years and never experienced anything reminiscent of any sort of psychedelic trip while meditating. I have had some very interesting experiences but if anything they more resembled cannabis than psychedelics. While people do have spiritual experiences while meditating, they simply aren't the same as anything experienced during a psychedelic trip. They may be equally enlightening and breathtaking, but it is comparing apples to oranges.

by the way,
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22371425
it is a review of other articles in which a claim was made that DMT is endogenous.
It is not endogenous.

I read the abstract but it makes no definitive statement about DMT. I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence in relation to the abstract.

this does not mean that the work to establish DMT being endogenous is good, it is actually bad news for believers, but for those who cannot interpret this paragraph, the bottom line is that the tests are not scientifically convincing.

The abstract mentions strengths and weaknesses of previous tests for endogenous DMT. The abstract doesn't really make a value judgement one way or the other. Shortcomings would suggest that the overall conclusion being drawn is inconclusive.

One of the authors is Rick Strassman. I'm pretty sure he's a major proponent of the view.

I think DMT is probably a metabolic sideproduct of the related tryptamines in our skulls.

^I agree. I've heard a lot of people spouting false information about DMT. This generally involves people misrepresenting information published in Strassmans book (i.e they claim that the topics which he repeatedly stresses are simply ideas/proposals, are actually proven scientific facts). Anybody who's read the book will know that this isn't the case.

You would not believe the number of people I've heard claiming Strassman's theories as scientific fact (or maybe you would), straight down to, "it's scientifically proven, maaaaannnnn". It's incredibly widespread in psychedelic culture that in death, a massive flood of DMT is released, and many people have also told me it happens at birth too. I met a dude whose entire basis for his beliefs about existence were based on this "fact", and you can't convince people it's not a fact much of the time because the idea is so widespread and passed around as fact, and so many people will agree. It kind of frustrates me because it does reflect poorly on psychedelic culture that so many are willing to accept something as fact that, if they read the original source, freely admits to being an unfounded theory. Then again I guess it's not so different from every other group of people. People believe stuff they want to believe or are exposed to enough, in general.

I used to believe it too, and spread it around... then I did a little research. I'm not saying DMT isn't found in the body, I'm just saying that doesn't mean it's the key to life and death.

Anyway that's a little off-topic to this thread I guess.

I've started doing the Wim Hof breathing technique every day. I do 3x2min rounds followed by breath holding and 2x3min rounds with ab crunches and pushups. It's great training for rebirthing/holotropic style breath work and provides an awesome boost in energy and mood. Yeah, it isn't quite the same as DMT but it does get pretty intense. You get the buzzing in the ears, a feeling of 'liquid' presence, flanging/pulsating perception, and slight visual disturbances as well as a bit of mental confusion immediately afterwards (this quickly fades). These experiences are much easier to integrate than DMT. The longer breathing modalities like rebirthing/holotropic/transformational breath where breathing lasts 1 hour or longer produce more intense experience IME. These can rival a good DMT trip in intensity and profundity though qualitatively much different.

The clear, critical thinking and civilized discussion in this thread is exactly why I keep coming back to bluelight.

Regarding the Wim Hof method there is some interesting science regarding the ability to voluntarily affect the autonomic nervous and immune system using this breathing technique. In other words it gives you superpowers ;)

Hitherto, both the autonomic nervous system and innate immune system were regarded as systems that cannot be voluntarily influenced. The present study demonstrates that, through practicing techniques learned in a short-term training program, the sympathetic nervous system and immune system can indeed be voluntarily influenced. Healthy volunteers practicing the learned techniques exhibited profound increases in the release of epinephrine, which in turn led to increased production of anti-inflammatory mediators and subsequent dampening of the pro-inflammatory cytokine response elicited by intravenous administration of bacterial endotoxin. This study could have important implications for the treatment of a variety of conditions associated with excessive or persistent inflammation, especially autoimmune diseases in which therapies that antagonize proinflammatory cytokines have shown great benefit.

PNAS is a respectable journal with an impact factor of 9.7. Compare this to a really good journal like Journal American Chemical Society with an impact factor of 13.9 and Journal of Physical Chemistry C with impact factor of 4.5 (2016)

Last edited by a moderator: