• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD Film Recommendations v6 - Nominated five times

I can't imagine anything more likely to induce a total freakout when tripping than the knowledge that you're going to die very soon. Fuckin sadistic bastards ought to just increase their morphine doses instead.

Let's be fair, the patients might not be total pussies like you. Up their morphine doses and their psilocybin doses. And get the poor fuckers on a ketamine drip too.

Let's be fair, the patients might not be total pussies like you. Up their morphine doses and their psilocybin doses. And get the poor fuckers on a ketamine drip too.

Sorry? Can you speak a little more slowly and clearly please?

Do you have an unintelligible Glasgow type broad accent, or the more cultured but slightly gay sounding Edinburgh type?

I like to think I have a fairly "posh Scots" accent, which I guess is probably close to what you call the cultured gay variety. I actually live in Fife though, and spent most of my uni years in Glasgow, so I'm probably totally wrong on that point.

Truth!

Though poor Aldous Huxley had no ketamine that I can recall :( His wife did describe it as a most beautiful death. The letter is worth a read if you have nothing better than to listen to my stoned ramblings.

Ps: FUBAR, I imagine you're the big bad wolf Monday-Friday, then Saturday-Sunday turn into the minx that is that red caped beauty. Much like myself. And I suspect Ordinary Mind too.

My accent is a 25 or so year watered down Borat.

I watched Samurai Cop from 1993, I think.

Truly a movie with something for everybody.

If anyone is a fan of Noir and hasn't seen Rififi, don't waste anymore time.

Too much of a faff to add linkies whilst on my phone (which I am, in case you wondered) but...

Earlier tonight we watched Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. Really rather good it was too. Must've been cos Sadie stayed awake through the whole thing :D

Fairly standard plot about the young "hero" soldier returning from Iraq and being slapped about the chops with what he was told he was fighting for versus what he was actually fighting for. It's an Ang Lee film though so it's beautifully done and much better than it looks on paper. Recommended.

Other film that stuck in my mind from recent viewings was Swiss Army Man. Starring Daniel Radcliffe as the titular flatulent corpse that comes in handy, this indie comedy was a welcome find. Laugh out loud funny, moving and original. Also recommended.

Also enjoyed Arrival but did leave me feeling like there was something missing. Liked it enough to want to watch it again just to make sure it wasn't just well hidden though.

Lastly, and definitely leastly, was Dr Strange. Not terrible by any means - does have its moments. Just a shame they never added up to anything and were so eminently forgettable I'd struggle to name any of 'em after a couple days.

Watched Detour (2016) last night.

A law student enters into a pact with a scumbag to kill his shifty stepdad. All is not as it seems.

I quite enjoyed it. Few problems with its timeline/plot and I felt it could have ended better, but not a bad movie at all. More than a few nods to Steve McQueen type characters throughout.

^^ That's made me think I will re-watch Bullit tonight. Such a brilliant film with one of the original, crazy car chases through the streets of San Francisco. Cool soundtrack, too.

Too much of a faff to add linkies whilst on my phone (which I am, in case you wondered) but...

Earlier tonight we watched Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. Really rather good it was too. Must've been cos Sadie stayed awake through the whole thing :D

Fairly standard plot about the young "hero" soldier returning from Iraq and being slapped about the chops with what he was told he was fighting for versus what he was actually fighting for. It's an Ang Lee film though so it's beautifully done and much better than it looks on paper. Recommended.

Other film that stuck in my mind from recent viewings was Swiss Army Man. Starring Daniel Radcliffe as the titular flatulent corpse that comes in handy, this indie comedy was a welcome find. Laugh out loud funny, moving and original. Also recommended.

Also enjoyed Arrival but did leave me feeling like there was something missing. Liked it enough to want to watch it again just to make sure it wasn't just well hidden though.

Lastly, and definitely leastly, was Dr Strange. Not terrible by any means - does have its moments. Just a shame they never added up to anything and were so eminently forgettable I'd struggle to name any of 'em after a couple days.

Get round to watching Gringo or are you drowning in movies to watch like I am?

Watched that t'other day on your recommendation and very good it was too. I'll expand 'pon that in the Documentary Thread soonish cos I have a couple other docs to post up. Suffice to say many thanks for the heads up cos it's a belter and I'd wholeheartedly second your recommendation. And third it for those that recall Stuffmonger :D

In more filmic film news, recent viewings have included...

Passengers: hackneyed plot but nicely done and very easy on the eye.

Kubo & The Two Strings: As recommended by Bear a page or so back, a decent enough animated film that raised a few laughs whilst also being pretty easy on the eye. Nowt worth writing home about but entertaining enough. Did kinda make me wish I was watching actually Japanese animations instead though.

The Green Room: Starring Patrick Stewart as the leader of a neo-Nazi group, this is a tense and top-notch thriller about a young punk band playing the gig from hell at a skinhead club way out in the sticks. Their opening number is Nazi Punks Fuck Off and things go drastically downhill from there. Nice find this one and probably my top pick from this 'ere post.

I watched a brilliant documentary about Danny Fields the other day, called Danny Says.

Danny was an amazing part of the 60s new york underground, and he helped discover bands like Iggy and the Stooges, the Ramones, the MC5 (and lots of punk and proto-punk groups like that) and he mixed with the Warhol scene and various other interesting biographical mentions in the film.
Im really interested in that period of time in music and culure, and it's one of the best made docos i've ever seen on the topic.

Bella, if you haven't seen it already, i would thoroughly recommend you do so (and others too) :)

Sounds like a winner to me too, SJ. Adding it to my ToWatch list :)

More fillums wot I haz recently watched include...

A Monster Calls: Wonderful partly animated, modern day fairy tale about a boy who accidentally calls up an ancient tree spirit (voiced by Liam Neeson) to help him cope with the knowledge that his mother has endstage cancer and is running out of options.

Is Mr Elm nothing but a trickster twat? Is his estranged father a hero after all? Is his evil grandmother (played by Sigourney Weaver) really evil? And just how best to deal with the school bullies? All these questions and more are answered in unexpectedly good and insightful fashion. Definitely worth a watch.

I, Daniel Blake: Quality British film about a builder forced to stop work due to a heart condition who then has to take on the benefits system.

The pathos is trowelled on thickly layer upon layer, but it still works wonderfully because every aspect of it is true. Great from beginning to end but the final section where Mr Blake writes his manifesto is particularly pleasing. Top-notch modern day kitchen sink drama.

I, Daniel Blake: Quality British film about a builder forced to stop work due to a heart condition who then has to take on the benefits system.

The pathos is trowelled on thickly layer upon layer

Nicely done :)

Had a bit of a film fest this evening.

White Girl - A New York college girl tries to raise funds to pay for a lawyer for her drug dealer boyfriend by selling his stash. A surprisingly tense and engaging watch, even if it did feel a bit predictable in terms of the story progression.

American Honey - This one worked well as a follow up to White Girl, as it kind of felt similar in terms of the themes of youthful thrill seeking and the use of a female lead. It did start to lose its magic in the last half hour though, but that may just have been because it's nearly 3 hours long.

The Green Room - A punk band get held captive by a group of Nazis after they witness a murder. Fairly solidly entertaining, not much more to say than that really.