• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Does anyone's anxiety get worse at a certain time of day?

I struggle with different phases of my anxiety. I can go without panic attacks for months. Then I can be plagued with the goddamn things again. And so on and so forth.

Oddly enough, I'm not bothered a bit by crowds. I love crowds. I love the energy I suppose.

My anxiety gets worse at night. Because night means I'm supposed to be sleeping, and sleeping is something I hate doing and procrastinate on doing as much as I can. It feels less scary to sleep during the day rather than at night, but with my work schedule I can't always do what I want obviously so I always struggle to force myself to sleep so I can function the next day.

Sometimes I have the freedom to stay up all night, which is a nice feeling. I still find night time to be scary even though I'm a night person. The reason is because I worry that if I have a panic attack at night and I get to where I'm scared that I'll die and need to call for help....none of my friends are going to be up for me to call or text at 3am, if I need to talk to someone to help calm me down. Sure my cats are there, but they can only do so much. They can't talk to me. Chat rooms help sometimes, if people can be serious for long enough to not talk nonsense and help me out. I can't afford to call 911 if I have a panic attack so bad that I'm scared of dying. I used to do that and now I have a ton of medical bills on my credit report and I'm determined to clean up my credit report so I can't have any new bills in collections....having a panic attack during the daytime isn't as scary.

TL;DR night time is scary because sleeping is scary, also if I have a panic attack at night I feel like I can't talk to anyone or get help because everyone is sleeping :\:!8(8)

Last edited:
Has it got something to do with the release of dopamine during sleep being a little wonky?

I honestly cant remember as university was 20 years ago but theres a hormone or network of chemical pathways that are the autopilot while you sleep so either a defect in this or something affecting this can cause night time anxiety to be worse.

Sleep clinics can diagnose this. They are not fun though.

Has it got something to do with the release of dopamine during sleep being a little wonky?

I'm not sure. For as long as I can remember, I always hated sleeping and feared it. I don't like the thought of blacking out for hours on end, which is basically what sleeping is. Sometimes I have nightmares. Idk. Sleeping, to me, is boring and stupid and I could be doing much better and more exciting things.

Anxious all the time lately.

Been off the benzos and alcohol for a long while because I always black out.

All my doctor gives me for anxiety is vistaril and now a whopping 300mg of gabapentin a day (these will be gone in a couple days with my gaba tolerance). Sometimes I take valerien root but I NEED something stronger like some phenibut or l-theanine. Oh well fuck it and fuck me. Tried alot of AD's and don't tolerate them well.

Theres alotta different shit I could order if I had money. L-theanine, phenibut, etc. but I'm homeless right now and have to take whatever I can get from the clinic. It SUCKS cause if I had the right shit for anxiety I could find work easier and wouldn't be so damn overwhelmed. My wife is suffering from anxiety and depression worse than me and I'm trying to be strong for the both of us. She actually thinks I don't have lots of problems like her but I'm just trying to be strong for her. I'm gonna have to tell her how I feel. Its hard for me to even admit to a psych I have problems. Male-machismo bullshit that all guys have to some extent...

No specific times, but my worst places are:

1. Driving on a highway
2. Shopping malls
3. Waiting in line at a store
4. Public speaking
5. Talking to 2 people at the same time in a small room

Afternoon and sometimes evening. Every since a little kid I always got anxiety and depression in the afternoons. I feel great in the morning and at night. Something about hours 1-6 PM that sucks for me.

^ It makes sense to have anxiety mostly in the afternoon. That's the busiest time of day. When I'm at home, that's when every one is up and usually they get on my damn nerves. It can be a trigger for sure.

Have you guys ever noticed that when you think people are staring at you, they really ARE starting at you??!!

I hate it when that happens 8(

And then when you try to get away from their stares, they start staring more at you!! 8o

No wonder some people turn into axe murderers!!

Early morning= BAD, probably from the adrenaline rush your body gives you when you wake...
mid day = maybe better by lunch
night = kinda better, probably a hormone and cicadian rhythm thing

WITHDRAWAL....
Mornings are better I guess...
Mid day= THE WORST!
Night= best, but can't sleep. Probably best because of hormones and your body getting ready for sleep, but can't due it because of NMDA upregulation and excess glutamate

Take magnesium threonate, NMDA antagonists, and probiotics and zinc and VIT C. AND RUN 25 MIN A DAY! And eat greens like Brussels sprouts... that's all I have to say.

Early morning= BAD, probably from the adrenaline rush your body gives you when you wake
I heard an early morning shower adds chlorine (from the tapwater) into your body, which activates your central nervous system.

Not sure if thats true, but it sounds plausible enough

Early morning= BAD, probably from the adrenaline rush your body gives you when you wake...
mid day = maybe better by lunch
night = kinda better, probably a hormone and cicadian rhythm thing

WITHDRAWAL....
Mornings are better I guess...
Mid day= THE WORST!
Night= best, but can't sleep. Probably best because of hormones and your body getting ready for sleep, but can't due it because of NMDA upregulation and excess glutamate

Take magnesium threonate, NMDA antagonists, and probiotics and zinc and VIT C. AND RUN 25 MIN A DAY! And eat greens like Brussels sprouts... that's all I have to say.

Strange, most people, myself included, report the opposite.

Nights for me can be tough. Not helped by my lifelong sleep disorders.