• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Dr Zee, the godfather of legal highs: 'I test everything on myself'

poledriver

Bluelighter
Dr Zee, the godfather of legal highs: 'I test everything on myself'

From ‘miaow miaow’ to the methspresso machine, Dr Zee has spent years creating new drugs faster than the British government can legislate against. But is he a freedom fighter – or a brainier version of your average dealer?

Dr Zee, the Israeli chemist credited with kicking off the legal highs market in the UK, is showing off his latest invention. Unlike his other discoveries – most notably mephedrone, which caused a media panic in 2009 when tabloids ran scare stories about “miaow miaow” and “plant food” – this one can’t be snorted or swallowed. Instead, it’s a black plastic box that looks rather like a coffee-maker.

“I think maybe we’ll call it the methspresso machine,” he says, while showcasing it on a new BBC documentary, The Last Days of Legal Highs.

The methspresso is more than just a 10/10 pun. It’s Zee’s attempt to get around the British government’s impending Psychoactive Substances bill, which is due to kick in on 26 May. That bill will outlaw not just individual chemical compounds (which cunning chemists including Zee have been circumnavigating with simple tweaks to a substance’s molecular structure), but any substance at all “producing a psychoactive effect in a person who consumes it”.

If anyone knows how to get around drug laws, it’s Zee. Over the past few years, while the UK government struggled to clamp down on the new chemical compounds flooding the market, Zee was creating new ones on a weekly basis – a rate far faster than the government could legislate for.

“My primary motivation is to help people have a good time without breaking the law,” says Zee when we talk. He says he makes a “decent living” from legal highs, but no more than he would have made in his previous job as a scientist and researcher in the pharmaceuticals industry. “My drive comes from the will to create something new, better, legal and safe. The underlying belief of this activity is cognitive liberty. I believe people should be allowed to alter their own state of consciousness and self-medicate, as long as it does not harm others or themselves.”

Zee is a strange interviewee. “How long have we got?” he asks when we first speak on the phone, before embarking on a rather tangential monologue about the media and medical professions. Before I’ve managed to get a proper question in, he tells me he’s got a meeting with his accountant he forgot about and that, actually, we’ll have to reschedule.

Later, he stresses that concocting new drugs is a discovery process not an inventive one: “It’s not nearly as intentional as most people think. The only aspects of a novel molecule I can control are its chemical structure and its legality. But there is no scientific method for predicting what effect it will have on the human body or mind or brain, and whether it will have any effect at all.”

Zee tests every new concoction on himself. “It’s part of my working routine – not part of my private life,” he says. “I make molecule after molecule then try them without prejudice. You have to keep an open mind.”

Cont -

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...er-of-legal-highs-i-test-everything-on-myself

What a hypocrite. I believe we should all be able to alter our consciousness as long as we dont harm others or ourselves but will still attempt to find different and in many ways worse drugs that do exactly that.

What a hypocrite. I believe we should all be able to alter our consciousness as long as we dont harm others or ourselves but will still attempt to find different and in many ways worse drugs that do exactly that.

That is exactly the right answer. Those of us that are of higher intelligence like OP, Kittycat5, myself, will always be able to take care of business as we see fit or desire. I personally can remain happy with natural substances and a couple of the original synthetic ones that still had natural roots. Let's see, all hypothetical here, but LSD, DMT, mescaline, amphetamines and the many high grade marijuana strains, that will never disappear. That's where focus should be. Don't get me wrong, I would love to add a kilo of Etizolam or Valium to my medicine chest. Let's get back to our roots. Shit, N2O will be around for a while.

No because he is preaching that its ok to take them as long as you dont harm yourself knowing full well that is exactly what people do. And for flooding the market with questionable shit further relegating drugs as some tool of the devil in the minds of many. I couldnt care less what he or you takes, but he isnt a noble warrior carrying the crusade of Tim Leary and Alexander Shulgin into the modern age. And not that I agree those two were any more noble, but this guy is a joke.

Shulgin had a different air about him. I don't feel he was out to flood the market with questionable garbage, and turn a profit either.

I agree. Of all the legendary drug personas, Shulgin seemed to be the one who got it the most. Still, if he were alive, I think he would have a bit of guilt on how people took his work to the extreme. But this Zee guy is adding to the bad. I didnt even read the whole article before I first posted but its quite obvious he knows he is full of shit after doing so.

Mephedrone is probably one of the most important recreational drugs to be discovered in the last couple decades. You guys sound like a bunch of prohibitionists... "oh, this guy is bad because he makes drugs I don't like!"

I dont hate anyone I dont know but he also isnt much of a player. Look at his so called methspresso macine invention. Is it wise to attach a name like this, similar to branded legal highs, and sell it as a drug making machine? Did you read how he forgot appointments and his labs look more like the last scene of scarface than a real lab? He's worse than hand to hand dealers because he doesnt have to face the end users. Just tweak a molecule, ingest (probably in far lower doses than many do) and reap the benefits of putting it out.

And he very well may be impeding actual research into now prohibited drugs, hindering prohibition of recreational use by scaring the shit out of people, and if you had to choose mephedrone over MDMA or amphetamine or choose your more classic drug here, would you? He is an opportunist akin to snakeoil salesmen of the past.

He is fighting the good fight as far as I am concerned.

Whether I prefer mephedrone to drug X that you are fond of is irrelevant. What is relevant is that many people do enjoy it. Variety is the spice of life, right? Not everyone wants to do MDMA and "the classics" all the time. You're attitude is analogous to those who think that everybody should be perfectly happy with alcohol and caffeine and that every other drug is scary and bad.

Last edited:
I dont see how owning that machine could not be considered manufacturing a drug. Its basically a mini lab. You would certainly get done for manufacturing here in oz. A very serious charge.

I dont see how owning that machine could not be considered manufacturing a drug. Its basically a mini lab. You would certainly get done for manufacturing here in oz. A very serious charge.

It's specifically meant to get around a new U.K. law which states that nothing (except, of course, for alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco) can be sold if it is intended to be used as a psychoactive drug. In Canada, a law like that would be laughed out of the courts, but I'm not sure how things work in the U.K. In any case, as far as I can tell, there isn't any provision for manufacturing, so this machine would technically get around the law. It's basically a fuck-you to the people who made this law, and a pretty clever one in my opinion.

EDIT: I was incorrect about the manufacturing provision. See my post below.

Last edited:
It's specifically meant to get around a new U.K. law which states that nothing (except, of course, for alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco) can be sold if it is intended to be used as a psychoactive drug. In Canada, a law like that would be laughed out of the courts, but I'm not sure how things work in the U.K. In any case, as far as I can tell, there isn't any provision for manufacturing, so this machine would technically get around the law. It's basically a fuck-you to the people who made this law, and a pretty clever one in my opinion.

Can you elaborate on how it gets around the law and what exactly the machine does? I couldn't find it in the article after a quick skim-through, and my knowledge of foreign policies is not one I can brag about either.

There is a provision for manufacturing psychoactive substances. Only simple possession is decrim. So this machine would be counted as manufacturing..a serious charge. The doco said a 7 year sentence for anyone making a psychoactive substance...so using that machine would set you up for that charge and sentence...because you are making something with reagents to create a drug. The drug may be legal to possess but not to make it. So i dont see how this gets around the law at all.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on how it gets around the law and what exactly the machine does? I couldn't find it in the article after a quick skim-through, and my knowledge of foreign policies is not one I can brag about either.

There is a provision for manufacturing psychoactive substances. Only simple possession is decrim. So this machine would be counted as manufacturing..a serious charge. The doco said a 7 year sentence for anyone making a psychoactive substance...so using that machine would set you up for that charge and sentence...because you are making something with reagents to create a drug. The drug may be legal to possess but not to make it. So i dont see how this gets around the law at all.

Thanks Consumer, you are correct. This law is more insane than I had realized:

Psychoactive Substances Act 2016 said:
(1)A person commits an offence if—

(a)the person intentionally produces a psychoactive substance,

(b)the person knows or suspects that the substance is a psychoactive substance, and

(c)the person—

(i)intends to consume the psychoactive substance for its psychoactive effects, or

(ii)knows, or is reckless as to whether, the psychoactive substance is likely to be consumed by some other person for its psychoactive effects.

It blows my mind that they got away with making a law like this. You are guilty if you make a psychoactive substance and are "reckless as to whether" it is "likely" to be taken for its psychoactive effects? The courts are going to have fun with this.

To be clear, the seven-year sentence is the maximum punishment upon indictable conviction. The offence can also be pursued as a summary offence, with a maximum sentence of one year. There is no minimum sentence in either case.

Here is the full act, for those interested.

Last edited:
The laws in Australia are even worse. Any analogue of any controlled substance is illegal. Any substance that has any effect similar to a banned substance is also illegal. That goes for possession as well. These laws are policed heavily now. A recent case here had a person caught selling 30 pills (blue scissors from memory) in newcastle. As the substance in them was not mdma but one of the Nbome series they were charged with selling a commercial quantity of a controlled substance. The commercial amount of pure Nbome is 3 grams. The cops weighed the pills and charged them with that offence that carrys life in prison. For thirty dodgy pills. It has not made its way through court yet but goes to show how fucked our laws are here

The laws in Australia are even worse. Any analogue of any controlled substance is illegal. Any substance that has any effect similar to a banned substance is also illegal. That goes for possession as well. These laws are policed heavily now. A recent case here had a person caught selling 30 pills (blue scissors from memory) in newcastle. As the substance in them was not mdma but one of the Nbome series they were charged with selling a commercial quantity of a controlled substance. The commercial amount of pure Nbome is 3 grams. The cops weighed the pills and charged them with that offence that carrys life in prison. For thirty dodgy pills. It has not made its way through court yet but goes to show how fucked our laws are here

That is something I don't agree with. It shouldn't be the weight of everything bag included, it should be the weight of just the chemical in question. Say you have 1/4g of speed but it is in a pill bottle. They weigh everything and you end up with trafficking.