Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is It Safe To Take Over 6,000 mg of Guaifenesin For Tripping On DXM

Psychonautz

Greenlighter
SWIM has no $$
SWIM Decides to take the 11 Mucinex DM Tablets he has left but calculating since the mg for Guaifenesin is 600mg per pill is that safe for SWIM to consume? SWIM want to hit the 3rd Plateau but in order to do that SWIM would be taking high amounts of Guaifenesin since SWIM has no money and only has DXM with Guaifenesin also. Swim was going to also drink a 4 oz Robitussin COugh+Chest DM which has 400 mg per 10mL

Update: I ended up not puking at all. Er well I barely puked. I was able to go almost the whole trip before puking (only had a slight buzz) It might also be that I took Emetrol to help with nausea.

Last edited:
NO

About 2400 mg per day is the max, otherwise you'd just be puking your guts out and that's guaranteed to ruin any high.

I've never bothered but isn't there an extraction possible, like agent lemon or something? (edit: yes agent lemon is for guaifenesin containing products https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/faq/dxm_chemistry.shtml but make sure that if you do such a thing you follow a tek to the letter, otherwise you might be ingesting solvents or reagents etc then you're a long way from home.)

Don't say swim, it's strictly verboten and does not help anyone anyway, whatever you might think. :)

This type of Q is actually for the BDD forum

It'll be an awful experience. Puking your guts out will likely lead to a bad trip too. Save up some money and get dxm powder online if you really want to trip on dxm. It's WAY more cost effective, you'll have enough dxm to last you a lifetime (just don't abuse it), and it won't have any of the nasty inactive ingredients which contribute to the body load and are just bad for you in general.

And yeah, extractions are possible. I've never bothered either though. I'm probably going to order powder too if/when I decide to trip on dxm again. Cough syrup and even the gels are just so nasty.

Edit: You know, I re-read this and I apologize if I'm making false assumptions (feel free to call me an idiot if I am), but if you're considering doing dxm with guaifenesin, you might already be on the road to addiction. In which case, ordering the powder would be a terrible idea. I'm only saying this because I was addicted to dxm at one point and in my experience, wanting to do drugs as soon as you get your hands on them, or impulsively, is a sign of psychological addiction forming. I still use dxm but if I ever get too excited, that's when I don't let myself do it. Dxm is a nasty substance to get addicted to. Just be careful and stay safe.

Last edited:
The people above me must not be experienced with DXM.

I've done over 6000mgs of Guaifenesin at once. You're not going to die or even be close to dying as the LD50 is more than 1500mg/kg. Also it's now speculated that Guaifenesin is also a muscle relaxer, just a fun fact. There is however a 95% chance you will throw up everything in your stomach sometime while you're peaking (that's usually what happens to me, I have a strong stomach). While I'm tripping on DXM at the third plateau I barely even feel myself throw up, and it's sort of a relief for your stomach to get all that excess syrup out of your stomach as quick as possible, it has to come out one way or another. You may also experience some diarrhea near the end of the trip, but nothing too bad. I've done this multiple times and it really only effects the trip for a minute or so. You'll be fine.

Mucinex DM is however half extended release so I recommend you crush them up as much as you can before swallowing them. I've never done these because of the extended release, but crushing them up should be fine. If you could tell me how they are, I plan on trying them this weekend.

but if you're considering doing dxm with guaifenesin, you might already be on the road to addiction.

This makes absolutely no sense. As most Robitussin blue labeled DXM-only products are slowly being taken off the shelves across many states in the United States doing DXM with Guaifenesin is really your only option now unless of course you perform an extraction, which is a pain in the ass, or buy powder online, which would be the best thing to do and it's VERY cheap. Doing DXM with Guaifenesin shows no sign of becoming an addict.

Happy tripping.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Ah, do you also go on alcohol HR forums and downplay bingedrinking that involves gutpuking?

Nobody said that it's life-threatening, so it's not that unsafe, but enabling other people setting themselves up for a pukefest is not harm reduction. However if this sounds like an agreeable idea to you, who can stop you do something harsh to your body. But no not everyone has a strong stomach or considers vomiting to be normal.

What is addiction-y about the whole thing is the apparent compulsion to get high on the stuff by any means necessary. We can also try to trivialize the fact that some poor people resort to huffing solvents/inhalants. Things happening on big scale is not the same as it being okay. That it technically becomes a norm in such a situation is sad and dubious... Just try to be inventive or frugal and do the DXM powder thing saving up a bit and postpone & substitute for byproduct-riddled robotripping.

Better a cleaner experience a few times less, than desperately running for the easy option. Your body will thank you for it.

Doing it the 'hard' way by saving up or doing a decent medium-scale extraction is ultimately rewarding like most things in life that work that way.

NO

...otherwise you'd just be puking your guts out and that's guaranteed to ruin any high.

It'll be an awful experience. Puking your guts out will likely lead to a bad trip too. Save up some money and get dxm powder online if you really want to trip on dxm. It's WAY more cost effective, you'll have enough dxm to last you a lifetime (just don't abuse it), and it won't have any of the nasty inactive ingredients which contribute to the body load and are just bad for you in general.

Edit: You know, I re-read this and I apologize if I'm making false assumptions (feel free to call me an idiot if I am), but if you're considering doing dxm with guaifenesin, you might already be on the road to addiction.

What is addiction-y about the whole thing is the apparent compulsion to get high on the stuff by any means necessary.

Well, the only time I did DXM was the pure powder through a pharmacist and was the worst shit I have ever done. So, taking anything with DXM knowing I am going to puke is out of the question.
However; I DO like oral DMT in powder form or through MHRB/Rue. And I do it knowing full well that I am going to spew. Am I a DMT "addict"...don't think so.
Although DMT is rewarding enough to put up with the puking and, in the case of Ayahuasca, major runs too. Maybe the OP likes DXM as much as I like DMT...enough to put up with the "sick" and if that is the case, why label him a a DXM junkie to be?

Bottomline it's your choice but in my opinion throwing up once is worth the trip. I usually do syrup only which only hurts my stomach a little, with pills I feel like I'd be fine, maybe I wouldn't even puke. Some people don't even puke when they take large doses of Guafeinesin.

Also, some people throw up from straight DXM. If you don't want to throw up at all stick to other drugs. But if you want the DXM experience I highly reccomend you try it. Some people throw up from shrooms or DMT (etc.) but we don't see that as a "dirty drug". It's what you think the drug is worth, if it's not worth throwing up for you then don't do it.

Cheers.

DXM powder in gelatine capsules will far less likely induce vomiting.

I've never really done syrup (only a few times as an add on) because in my country dxm is available in capsules.

I've taken doses up to 1200mg and never threw up even though i have not the strongest stomach.

Many get nauseous/have to vomit from syrup but not from powder in capsules

I also advice against taking a dxm product containing guaifenesin.

It won't kill you like acetaminophen can do, but you'll get sick as hell. By that, I mean repeated vomiting, basically just in the bathroom the whole time puking your guts up. All the puking while tripping will most likely lead to a very bad experience. It wouldn't kill you or anything, but I can guarantee it will be horrible and you'd just be putting yourself through a hell of constant vomiting. I've even heard people go as far as to say that they put it in there to ruin people's trips to discourage DXM use, not so sure about that but taking DXM with it ruins the experience completely from what I've heard.

They do? I never heard of that? DMT doesn't make you puke.

I've seen people with weak stomachs get sick while on psychedelics, it can happen. That said, I would never equivocate taking a normal dose of DMT with taking several grams of guaifenesin.

That said, I would never equivocate taking a normal dose of DMT with taking several grams of guaifenesin.

Very true. I think of it like this. DMT is a trip into something utterly ineffable. DXM and high doses of expectorants is merely a trip to the can, a very long, drawn out experience of vomiting and diarrhea that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Lets not get carried away. I think the dangers of guaf is being blown out of proportion here. Ive drank plenty of guaf over the years and it doesn't always make me puke or have diarrhea. I have had DXM only products that have made me puke the whole time. I think some brands have something in it to prevent abuse and some formulas are just more nauseating. Im sure guaf can make some people sick, but I don't think most are that sensitive to it. I don't think taking a large amount sporadically is that big of a danger either (correct me if im wrong). its def one of the less harmful additives anyway.

The gel caps can still make you sick too and those are only DXM. So sometimes I think it more has to do with the type of syrup, capsules and/or brand. Not so much the guaf and it really doesn't make me sick. I used to take those mini thins with the guaf/ephedrine and those never made me puke either. So idk, some people just must not be that sensitive to it and I wouldn't say I have a strong stomach.

Robitussin is tried and true for me so i stick with that

I mean it may not be the end of the world but jesus christ, do you have experience with Guaifenesin? That shit is godawful! The stomach ache alone, never mind the puking, is enough to ruin any kinda high. I had some with vicodin in a cough syrup once, I had to drink the whole bottle to get any effect bc the hydrocodone was so weak and I had a tolerance at the time. Anyway, top 3 worst stomach cramps ever that lasted all day, and I dont think I was anywhere near 6000mg.

I am gonna have to say I'm with Sol on this one. Better to order DXM powder, really not that hard, than to drink bottles of syrup. Also it's my personal opinion that DXM blows and considering how many other options there are to get high these days, even if you are just trying to catch a buzz (not saying that you are), there's way better ways to do it than DXM. People call DXM dirty because it has a ton of side effects. I don't look down on people for using it, I just wonder why they would subject themselves to such a godawful drug. The high is intense, for sure, but it's so riddled with confusion that I feel like it's half-deliriant, half-disso, compared to the clean and lucid feeling of a good disso. Id rather be sober, but more likely than that Id just find something else to get high on. I tried DXM like a dozen times, wanting to like it bc it was so easy and basically free, but I came to the conclusion that it just sucks. Some people seem to like it so YMMV, just my opinion on the whole thing.

Yeah, i wouldn't recommend it but it doesn't have much of an affect on me. I've taken lots in various forms over the years.

I pretty much agree that dxm does blow and is pretty dirty but ive enjoyed it before. no ket or mxe tho thats for sure

Absolutely NOT! This is very dangerous. Is it very hard for you to find products containing ONLY DXM? If so try buying OTC preparations online! Good Luck!

Absolutely NOT! This is very dangerous. Is it very hard for you to find products containing ONLY DXM? If so try buying OTC preparations online! Good Luck!

This isn't 'very dangerous' at all, its Guaifenesin, not Acetaminophen. The most that will happen is you'll puke a few times, but in no way is that dangerous to you. Across the United States ONLY DXM cough syrups are being taken off shelves. I live in Southern California and they're all gone, all you can get are the ones with Guaifenesin.

Anyways, OP already said on May 31st that he tried this and it worked fine for him. Except he did throw up (barely) at the end of the trip, which is bound to happen with large amounts of Guaifenesin, unless you have a strong stomach like I do. But I'd actually say most people don't throw up from Guaifenesin, I only throw up when I drink syrup instead of pills.

The only problem with Mucinex DM is that they're extended release and I'm not so sure how to make them instant release, so you need to take almost double to get the same high as instant release, and it will last twice as long.

I think the dangers of guaf is being blown out of proportion here.

Dangers may not be the best way to put it, as it is unlikely to kill you. Possible theoretically, maybe. However, in reality, highly, highly doubt it...... kind of like the risk of walking outside during a thunderstorm. Is it possible you will get struck by lightening, yes. However, it is such a remote chance that I and most people wouldn't worry too much about it under normal circumstances.

It's just that you may as well just chug a gallon of prune juice, as the gastrointestinal effects tend to be horrible.

Last edited:
Dangers may not be the best way to put it, as it is unlikely to kill you. Possible theoretically, maybe. However, in reality, highly, highly doubt it...... kind of like the risk of walking outside during a thunderstorm. Is it possible you will get struck by lightening, yes. However, it is such a remote chance that I and most people wouldn't worry too much about it under normal circumstances.

It's just that you may as well just chug a gallon of prune juice, as the gastrointestinal effects tend to be horrible.

not a great analogy, you're chances of getting hit by lighting in a thunderstorm are actually quite high. 1/10000 in a lifetime. walking around in a thunderstorm is much higher.

not going to restate anything. some people are sensitive, others are not, they also put other shit in the cough syrup to make you sick. ive had types that were only dxm that made me really sick. guaf has little to no affect on me and others as well. i wouldnt sweat it, if you puke, no big deal, its part of life when using drugs. but the stories of puking and shitting all night aren't my experience at all.

dxm powder on its own isnt too hard to procure. its pretty dirty and other better options are available. in a pinch, it will get you by, but i prob won't ever do it again.