Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Opinions Needed - "responsible opiate use"

Salmon9

Greenlighter
Hi everyone,

I was looking for some opinions.

I have in the past few years been using opiates (first few years very sparingly), last maybe 2 years the use has gotten more frequent, but never long enough where i would experience WD's. My tolerance was 30-45mg of oxycodone in a single use (with maybe a 15mg booster later in the night), at one time during the day. My tolerance in say the 4 years of use has only gone from 30-45mg as I ahve not allowed it to go higher. Lately, what I have done is spread this dose out, and have thus lowered my tolerance effectively. I can now use between 15-22.5mg a dose effectively, doing this a few times a day which would equal 60mg. I will NEVER go above 60mg in a single day, and i never have in my life. I have never been one to "chase the dragon." The main reason I have been using is because I have terrible ADHD, and when i do a low dose, I become very efficient and clear headed. i also have noticed any side effects are very minimal. This drug has in no way affected my life in a negative way so far, in fact I am making 4x the money that I did when I first began. I live in NYC and I pull in about 260K a year. My life is not spiraling downward, nor has this drug made me lose my mind or cause anxiety. I also have used kratom as a way to take myself off of the substance, when I feel a break is needed. I actually enjoy kratom, but for some reason it makes me very edgy and almost clouds my mind at times. It can feel a bit more speedy without the clear headed effects, which is the reason why I use this substance. Before this I was prescribed ritalin and adderall since I was 6 years old. I could turn back to that, however I truly hate that crap and find the side effects to be unbearable nor do I find it to work very well.

I guess i'm rambling (ADHD!!), anyway the question I have for everyone is if it seems possible to use in this manor, without ending up in a bad situation. I truly think that I am using this substance for a beneficial reason, and not to simply get high and chase the dragon and keep upping my dose to feel it even more. I am very content with the lower dose, and enjoy the lower dosed feeling. I also should add I take l-tyrosine, D-PA, Pirecetam, Carnitine, and choline everyday as part of a nootropric stack.

I'm pretty satisfied that I was able to lower my tolerance, without and ill feelings, and I feel like the current dosages I am taking are pretty low. I hope and plan to move it even lower, to the point where 15mg is the dose needed.

I understand that most people here have seen the absolute worst side of this substance, so I can understand the caution and most of the opinions and advice I will get in return. However given the situation I have explained above - Do you guys think that the way I have been using this substance, with my given goals in mind, with not raising my tolerance by choice, that this may be an effective way to use this. I also may add that I recently have been using on a daily basis, and I'm sure if i stopped I would feel uneasy and maybe a little nauseas for 2 days. However I would turn to kratom for 3 days there (low doses as well, obv). Let me know what you guys think, as obviously I doubt anyone would want to promote the use of this drug here. Just seeing if people believe it can be done. Also like I said, I could NEVER go above 60 mg a day, I am not one to push myself above that due to the addiction telling me to feel more. If i feel my tolerance increasing I would take kratom and go clean for a week or two, with ease.

Let me know

Thanks again :D

The thing is for a while you are able to use opiates like that with no withdrawal. I was prescribed them for 20 years and for the first 4 years i was able to go on and off at will with no WDs even at much higher doses than you are talking about. Then one day after stopping I woke up feeling sick in the morning and that was a tunrning point...from then on every cesation of use brought on WDs and each one a little worse than the previous...it does definitely catch up with you and now I have to manage my pain without them as even a few days use brings on WDs. Once your body crosses that line (which it will eventually) there is no going back.

Unfortunately if it were possible to use opiates (long term I mean) in that way people wouldn't develop problems with them. Not going over 60mg per day (which is still a high dose) doesn't really mean much.....

As for kratom ....well it only helps withdrawal because it's an opiate so switching to that for three days then stopping would be just as bad as stopping dead. A long controlled taper is the only way to not feel WDs once dependence sets in.

As for just a little uneasiness and nausia for 2 days or so ....it's likely to be worse than that and get even worse with each time....

People do "chip" long term but protracted periods of daily use has only one outcome.. It nothing to do with the strength of the user it's just the inherent nature of the drug I'm afraid.....

It is a dangerous game you are playing. You already said that your usage frequency has increased (although over a good amount of time) but that is one slippery step away from full on dependence. I envy you right now, as it seems you are successfully chipping, but let me tell you this. Although I took daily and larger doses than you, I had a similar frame of mind. I thought one of the absolute best effects of oxycodone was increased energy and making the mundane tasks of life pass like a breeze. So, although you seem to be handling everything well, just please be careful. That two years it took you to increase how much and how often you use could easily turn into two months, than two weeks, than next thing you know you will be snorting 30mg hourly and feel nothing except not sick.

^Except he'd be smarter than to snort oxycodone pills cos it's such a wasteof oxy when eating them is so much more effective. I certainly agree with kittycats take on your frame of mind and how easily and quickly your doses can increase.

You have set a good goal of not exceeding 60mg in a single day. My advice is this with opioids and opiates - once you lose that stimulation that you get from your dose whether it be H or oxy you are now what I call tolerant to that dose and MUST not increase but decrease a little for a while until your dose can stimulate again. After the stimulation comes the sedation only so you'll take your dose and if it's oxy you'll likely nod an hour or two later if you stay still like sit down or like. Once you pass the sedation stage you get the 'keeping yourself well' stage and now your fucked - you're dosing simply to hold off the sickness you get if you don't take the drug (withdrawal).

As others have said, it's so easy to end up where I did....takings 100's of mgs of oxycodone to feel ok physically - mentally you're a wreck at this stage cos you know you're fucked and there is a depression that comes with these drugs that is insidious at first because the stimulation and euphoria overtake or mask it but as your doses grow so does that depression. Good luck and take care, you do have a good attitude but you're in the minority if you can stick to it, but if you aren't taking it for pain then that works in your favour.

It depends. I've known people who've shot heroin and still managed to maintain careers and (relatively) normal social lives. But is it responsible? I don't know...even when I was successfully using H with smoking/snorting as my ROA (never was able to maintain "responsible meth use" for very long...) there were holes in my life, disappointments and such, that I was using opiates to cover up. Which has lead to my belief that protracted use of opiates or tranquilizers can kill you spiritually pretty fast, even if they don't destroy your body/mind in the same way that hardcore stimulant abuse can.

I don't judge anyone for drugs, at least not drugs alone...if you're a scumbag and you use drugs, then I'll judge you for that, but that's because you're a scumbag, not necessarily because you use [insert drug]. I'd just advise being careful and, if there's even a thought in your mind that "I need to quit or at least scale back", you take that thought seriously

^But you know what? It's supposed to catch up with you, or be a consequence otherwise we wouldn't do the fuck out of the drugs in the first place....the harm reduction kicks into a different gear when it comes to readjusting to life without those drugs and the attitude the user must have in order to use the drugs with reckless abandon! Do your drugs cleanly and safely and then give them up knowing that you used in every possible way and that for yourself there is nothing left for you to see here. Walk away into a new life as a new person about to have new experiences.

^But you know what? It's supposed to catch up with you, or be a consequence otherwise we wouldn't do the fuck out of the drugs in the first place....the harm reduction kicks into a different gear when it comes to readjusting to life without those drugs and the attitude the user must have in order to use the drugs with reckless abandon! Do your drugs cleanly and safely and then give them up knowing that you used in every possible way and that for yourself there is nothing left for you to see here. Walk away into a new life as a new person about to have new experiences.

I am not 100% this is HR but I love it anyway. It sucks it takes so many of us so long to decide to do the last part. Oh an does it really matter if I snort if I use 400mg? I used to swallow some as well, so calm down. :)

I think that the only responsible opiate use would be someone who is using them to treat acute or chronic pain, while being careful to take the minimal amount required to treat the pain and having a medical professional to consult about effectiveness and potential problems like tolerance or addiction. And who is actually taking them for the purpose of pain control not for euphoria. Otherwise, you're just playing with fucking fire and since it's no-repercussions at first it's an easy trap.

Sure a lot of people don't get hooked but I just don't think it can be called responsible to fuck around with drugs that are this ​addictive unless you're living with extreme physical pain which they are very effective at treating. They are typically prescribed to those who are physically disabled or terminally ill.

Youre not from America, we still hand them out like candy.

I think it's a good thing that my doctor would never ever give them to me like skittles, but I still get a bit of candy to keep me happy.

Oxycodone energizes me, and I can see why it would help OP's ADHD in the short term. However, I am wondering if they are addicted, because I can't imagine using something as powerful as oxycodone to treat ADHD. Especially at those doses... that's enough to manage my mangled, ruined spine! In fact you're taking twice as much as I get from the chronic pain clinic after building a long term trust with my doctor. I have severe chronic pain to the point that I simply can't even walk without oxycodone in my system and I am suicidal from how severe the chronic pain... on oxy I'm energized and I don't feel a damned tinge of pain. Even still, I am so disappointed and down on myself that I have to use them daily even though I don't abuse them and they have literally saved my life. I don't know why the hell someone would get into this stuff to treat ADHD but all I can say is LOL. Big bank accounts obviously do not guarantee common sense.

If you told a doctor you were doing this they would show you the door (unless crooked). Which is probably why you are asking your question on here.

Last edited:

While I wouldn't advise this for other people to try, I must admit that this is exactly how my mind works as well.

To the OP, I have said this before on Bluelight, but I'll say it again, I have known several people that I started using with who never took their heroin use to the point of addiction. One of these people started shooting heroin even, and was able to stop before he really got a taste for withdrawals, but all of these people went on to have drinking problems, so sure they could quit heroin but only because they replaced it with drinking alchoholicallly. I'm not saying that's what'll happen to you if you don't become an addict, I'm just pointing out that these are the only two people I've ever met that could put down heroin, or chip with relative success while not often enough to get a habit.

I think it's also important to point out that many of us started out with the same outlook as you. I felt that heroin made me a much more functional, motivated and overall 'better' person as long as no one knew about it and I could afford the habit. And I believe that if dope was legal I would still be able to function while using it, However it's not, and it's not cheap either, and I started using at such a young age that I never was able to get a good career because I hardly started college let alone Finnish it.

After a while I started using dope because it would dull the pain that my life had become when my family found out about my addiction and I was constantly getting in trouble because of it. Eventually dope became the only thing that gave me peace and I didn't care much about what I had to do to get it or how I had to live to use it. I'm not trying to sound like an NA nazi, I don't care if you use oxy or dope or think your an addict or think your not, The point I'm trying to get across is that intelligence, money, none of that can help you escape addiction-if anything it will make things harder for you. I never thought I would become the dope-shooting machine I was, and when I did I never thought I'd be able to stop, and I honestly don't know if I'll stay clean or not. You probably don't realize how much you would miss that oxycodone if you were forced to stop for a real extended period of time.

You're playing with fire, and are just begging to become addicted if it hasn't happened already since you are taking larger/more moderate doses and have a tolerance.

For years I would take low doses of oxy, hydrocodone, and codeine either alone or with herb. I'm damn lucky I never wound up addicted despite how I started to use opiates more frequently in a month. I am grateful daily that I never started to use morphine, dope, fent, etc. or larger doses of oxy, hydro, or codeine, and that I was able to stop using opiates.

Stay safe.

Yeah, I really think that given enough time most people would become addicted to opiates (unless they have some severe adverse reaction to them that make them incredibly unpleasant). That being said, I hope you can succeed. Just remember a functioning addict is still an addict, and things can start to unravel pretty fast.

The only "responsible opiate use" is taking them exactly as directed by a medical professional and never taking anything more. How many people can do this? Not many. I have a strict using schedule and I don't fool myself, just because it doesn't control me completely doesn't mean it doesn't have it's hooks in me.

Even taking them as directed doesn't really mean much......It rather depends on what the directions are.

If someone takes enough for long enough then they'll run into problems if they try to cease abruptly...

That's just the nature of the beast.

And no addictions ever started with someone taking legally prescribed meds as directed. I get where you are coming from noone1, but many, once they get the taste, dont stop.

[MENTION=311014]Kittycat5[/MENTION]

I think F.U.B.A.R. is looking for you on the EADD stims/marathon masturbation thread :)

Tell him its mine, all mine. Although Ive been known to give away too.

Quite obviously, my friend, you are as high as hell when you wrote this. For your sake, I hope you remain a light-weight user. More than likely, you will join the rest of us.

You're playing the odds my friend, and although I'm sure it is technically possible to chip long term and come out relatively unscathed, that's still a lot of time and money you dedicated to something in the end you'll have nothing to show for. The house always wins.