• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

What is wrong with the MDMA available today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a quick tell tell sign that you are doing modern day MDMA crap. Your pupils will only dilate to between 1/2 to 3/4 full. With old-school MDMA, your pupils would dilate all the way to the edge only leaving a microscopic sliver left of your eye color. End of story.
I agree with you entirely.
In most non-obese subjects >120mg of "real" 3,4-MDMA should dilate pupils like on the attached photo. The bad "Mongy" MDMA just doesn't do that !!!

Dilated_pupils_2006_%28cropped%29.jpg

Last edited:
Which winds me down to your final statement Tec, what exactly will come of this once we find the culprit?
IMO, we will develop a cheap reliable test (maybe something like a mixture of formaldehyde, L-Tartaric acid and Sulphuric acid), that anyone will be able to use to identify the bad "Mongy" MDMA and the market will quickly correct itself once the sales of the bad product hit a rock bottom.
Hell, I even predict that the clandestine labs will be scrambling to convert their stocks of the bad "Mongy" product into a good one, lest their income will be destroyed by the new savvy users.

Soon thereafter, the "real" Testing Centers will have to clean up their inferior act, so they don't look worse than this cheap test.

IMO, we will develop a cheap reliable test (maybe something like a mixture of formaldehyde, L-Tartaric acid and Sulphuric acid), that anyone will be able to use to identify the bad "Mongy" MDMA and the market will quickly correct itself once the sales of the bad product hit a rock bottom.
Hell, I even predict that the clandestine labs will be scrambling to convert their stocks of the bad "Mongy" product into a good one, lest their income will be destroyed by the new savvy users.

Soon thereafter, the "real" Testing Centers will have to clean up their inferior act, so they don't look worse than this cheap test.

Well said sir. Well said.

Based on the comments, it seems that some people can still find this product, just not most people.

I would say the Skype pills by Q-Dance are good quality MDMA, one of the higher quality modern day pills available today I reckon.

I agree that some MDMA likely is mongy because it's bad quality, but also good quality MDMA does have mongy effects if you take a higher than normal dose,
like back in the day if you dropped 2 instead of 1, or took another 1 too quickly you had sit down and wouldn't be able to dance.
Or just kinda wobble around on the dance floor, without really being able to lift your arms or move your legs for ages until the rush reduced. lol
That would be on a dose somewhere around 220mg - 250mg, about 110mg - 125mg in each pill.

Considering just in 1 pill like the Skypes there can be closer to 300mg, if someone took that amount in an hour, even in two, or took the whole thing it would be strong and would have mongy effects because of the dose. Well if they took the whole thing it would be very strong and very mongy.

Whereas it wouldn't have that mongy effect if they just took half, about the same dose as 1 strong pill back in the day.
I'm sure it is due to bad quality MDMA sometimes, but I also think people will often be dosing too high and re-dosing too quickly with those types of high mg content pills.

Last edited:

as the majority of "molly" users are content taking bathsalts and don't test product, I doubt the production of shitty mdma will see any dip.

not sure about europe but this is the case in america

as the majority of "molly" users are content taking bathsalts and don't test product, I doubt the production of shitty MDMA will see any dip. Not sure about Erope but this is the case in America
That's terrible!
I don't even encounter people with such mindset in my part of the world.
In fact they all bring me their stuff to test before using and even complain when my spectroscope cannot resolve different enantiomers (I don't have a polarised laser nor filters).

BTW: I detected traces of Fentanyl in one megadosed X pill lately 8o ...very weak signal, but unmistakable.

Last edited:
...that's terrifying...what analysis method did u use specifically?

I am so worried about fentanyl contamination in my RCs that I am going to begin dissolving them in a solvent (not sure which yet) then evaporating to ensure homogenaeity of fentanyl throughout the product if it is contaminated...as one spec could kill me if it fell into my RC

I wonder if this has happened to anyone yet as many of these Chinese RC labs probably make fentanyl analogues...and the distributors sometimes sell fentanyl as well

I'm sure it is due to bad quality MDMA sometimes, but I also think people will often be dosing too high and re-dosing too quickly with those types of high mg content pills.

In my situation, this is not the case. The MDMA that I have access to that produces the sleepier roll (see my earlier posts for more details) is not being dosed in high doses. I have experimented with initial loading doses at 100 to 150 mg. Also, high doses of MDMA certainly do not explain the lack of eye dilation that has been observed in virgin users.

Being floored by a super high dose of old-school MDMA is a very different feeling than the sleepier and less empathetic quality of the newer MDMA on the market. When you are floored by a high dose, you may not be able to dance but you are certainly feeling the love.

Last edited:
The fentanyl in that pill might be due to the same equipment (like a pill press) being used for fentanyl pills before the MDMA pills, obviously without a proper clean up.

There have been cases of athletes testing positive for a banned substance, that were able to track it down to a contaminated batch of legal supplements, that was produced by a company that also sold products containing banned substances.

Being floored by a super high dose of old-school MDMA is a very different feeling than the sleepier and less empathetic quality of the newer MDMA on the market. When you are floored by a high dose, you may not be able to dance but you are certainly feeling the love.

I agree actually, thinking back taking a high dose of the old school MDMA pills wasn't so much like feeling monged out effects, it was more like taking a dose that was too high, as in the empathetic quality wasn't reduced and replaced by a mongy feeling, it just felt like the empathy and loved up quality of the drug had increased in strength, and it was the intensity of that which made you have to sit down, not because it felt mongy.
(so yeah I retract some of my previous statement) lol

I wondered if there was any information on-line about the company that makes MDMA for MAPS.
Specifically I was interested to find out if they only use the safrole synthesis method.

Although that probably wouldn't make much of difference to finding out what is going on with a lot of the MDMA on the market today.
I thought if they do only use safrole to produce their MDMA, then that would kind of tell a story in itself.

As in very basically if they do, then I'm sure one of the reason for that would be because it's the best route to producing high quality MDMA.
idk, I'm not clued up on the chemistry, I just thought that would be quite interesting.

Because that would mean all the illegal labs would be using the new synthesis route, and the people making the best MDMA in the world would not be using it. In fact I feel pretty much certain that the company making MDMA for MAPS, never use the new synth method.

Even though that doesn't tell us a great deal, when I read that and think about it, it feels very contrasting if you get what I mean?

The highest quality MDMA in the world is not made via the new synthesis route.

Last edited:
Just to add, a difference that did stand out to me with modern MDMA compared to the old, is with the old skool MDMA there would be a strong REM effect with doses around 120mg, basically on 1 pill there would be moments when the eye's would zip around like crazy at rapid fire speed, and vision zipping to the left and to the right, very noticeable, like temporary going blind for a few seconds. lol The modern MDMA pills that even have a much higher mg content don't seem to do that. There was some REM but it was very minor and nowhere near as pronounced.

I guess some would say it's because the effects of MDMA reduce over time the more you take it, and I did take quite a lot of it back in the day.
Although, when I first started taking MDMA, it was around the same time as when the market bottomed out, and very quickly poor quality pills saturated the market, most of them had no MDMA in them at all, (I think the majority were a combination of speed, caffeine and ephedrine) and they were 2-3 pounds each, instead of the high quality MDMA pills I first took which were 10 pounds each in the year 1999.

After about 6 months, that standard of pill had all but disappeared (UK), I found it practically impossible to get hold them, the local people I knew never had them, and I used to travel the whole country going to different clubs from around the year 2000-2003 and I never met anyone in the clubs that had them either. It was clear that the vibe had completely changed, instead of everyone being on MDMA, pretty much nobody was. So in my lifetime, I actually haven't taken a great deal of MDMA. Since then from 2003 onwards, I took a very long break of nearly 15 years without any drugs at all.

A few months back I specifically set out to track down what are supposedly the best pills available today, which I did manage to get hold of in the Netherlands, and although I would say that they were decent quality pills, I do also think there were noticeably lower effects, like for one, rapid eye movement not being very noticeable.

I seriously doubt the reason for that was due to a permanent neurological change which occurred in my brain because of the MDMA I took in the past.
It's far more likely the reason why it was less pronounced was due to the substance.

It's also a little strange that on the main user forum, r/MDMA reddit, or pillreports, I hardly ever see anyone talking about REM, even the first time users, they never seem to report it as one of the effects.

Last edited:
It's also a little strange that on the main user forum, r/MDMA reddit, I hardly ever see anyone talking about REM, even the first time users, they never seem to report it as one of the effects.

Well, that is one of the things that is being presented as evidence. Virgin users are not experiencing tell-tale physical signs even at higher doses (lack of pupil dilation, lack of REM).

This is interesting:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22700038

This just reminds me of how it was common knowledge back in the day that some drugs would interfere in your ability to absorb/process MDMA, and other drugs processed by the CYP2D6 liver enzyme could lead to an overdose. So, it seems possible that the co-existence of the right active contaminant could reduce the effect of MDMA.

Well, that is one of the things that is being presented as evidence. Virgin users are not experiencing tell-tale physical signs even at higher doses (lack of pupil dilation, lack of REM).

I have to concur really, I think the extent of pupil dilation and REM are not only very noticeable to the user,
but also visually clear to see in someone from an outside perspective.
I was thinking if I was to write a pill report about my use of the early MDMA, I think I would mention REM effects, and I would also describe the experience as a feeling of ecstasy. That appears to be another thing that people often don't say in today's reports, that word is very rarely mentioned, which is kind of odd, because that's what MDMA is or at least it should be anyway.

Like you never click on a pill report and read something like this,
The come up was quite intense, once the pill kicked in I felt a strong connection and feeling of love for everything and everyone around me. I talked with a friend through the evening and it was like we had the answers to every question in the universe, it was an amazing experience.

What I'm basically trying to say is people's reports are written like it was just a brief buzz, rather than describing what it was like to be in a state of ecstasy.

Last edited:
What I'm basically trying to say is people's reports are written like it was just a buzz, rather than describing what it was like to be in a state of ecstasy.

It is a shame that you can no longer view the old pill reports on the pillreports webpage. I used to post there from 2000-2005. I guarantee you that the intensity of the eye jitters was a talking point, as well as the jaw clenching and grinding.

Quite honestly, the way I used to look on the old stuff was noticeable. I probably should have never been out in public. I was foolish enough to get some video on a few occasions. It is very clear that people are messed up. Now, I watch people and they LOOK sober.

It is a shame that you can no longer view the old pill reports on the pillreports webpage. I used to post there from 2000-2005. I guarantee you that the intensity of the eye jitters was a talking point, as well as the jaw clenching and grinding.

Quite honestly, the way I used to look on the old stuff was noticeable. I probably should have never been out in public. I was foolish enough to get some video on a few occasions. It is very clear that people are messed up. Now, I watch people and they LOOK sober.

That would be interesting to read past reports and compare them to the modern reports that appear on the site today.
One of the ways I would gauge good quality MDMA is if someone takes it for the first time and they do not behave like the girl in this video, or very similar to it, then they are not on good quality MDMA. lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rYXcmVSeBU&t=139s

At the end of the day, I do feel my instinct telling me that something is different about the quality of the modern product.
And like you said, I think there is enough evidence to support it.

Last edited:
Merck and Dole are the proud parents of MDMA

I was there, Le Junk, in Texas in 1984, and everything you are saying is true. I've been reading threads for almost two hours now, trying to figure out what the explanation is. I have an MD and a PhD in Neuroscience, but my knowledge of straight-up chemistry is fairly limited. All the hostility about old people being assholes who complain without merit about the X of the old days is lost on me. I thought the point was to question what the difference might be in order to facilitate the distribution of whatever-it-was-that-I-used-to-consume-in-the-80s. I miss it so much. It seems to me that your friend is the best person to explain it.

I found an great article that reviews the chemical origin of MDMA. I'll add the link. It was originally created in 1912 by Merck pharmaceuticals as a BYPRODUCT in the formation of some sort of blood thinning medication. Apparently, there has been a fiery debate over who truly owns the patent for MDMA, since the one filed by Merck includes the structure of MDMA within the text, but it is not specifically tested or named as an end-product for ownership. This should make this race to produce FDA-approved ecstasy pretty fun to watch. Some random guy from Poland published an article in the 1950s describing the synthesis of MDMA out of the blue, but nothing else was said about why he decided to make it in this article. Then a guy working at Dole made MDMA again in the 1960s, and he published a test of its psychotropic effects.

I'm tripping all over myself to say that Ecstasy was first created by Merck pharmaceuticals and was later co-opted by Dole. Merck and Dole proudly present MDMA.

Ecstasy emerged later in the 70s for use in psychotherapy, and then it quickly became a hit with the street crowds. I like to imagine some chemistry nerd working for Dole with a pineapple on his desk, realizing that he had uncovered a pretty fantastic drug that had gone unnoticed for 55 years. I like to think he started making it for his friends and then their friends and then he just walked out of that big Pineapple lab.

What I found most interesting is that this original MDMA, this by-product Merck stumbled on, was first called "safrylmethylamine". Safrole was the initial chemical ingredient used to start the chemical reactions that eventually formed MDMA (safrylmethylamine).

Merck stopped making the derivative forms of the MDMA that they were trying to sell because it was too expensive to make the MDMA itself. I read some old thread on this site entitled "that's how we rolled in the 90s" or something like that, and a chemist in this group finally spoke up and pointed out that the MDMA of today is not made from this initial safrole compound. They use something else as a precursor now. People argued for pages that if the final product is chemically authentic MDMA, with all the molecules correctly aligned, than it shouldn't matter what the progenitor compound is. MDMA is MDMA. I cannot argue with that. However, I can make the argument that we weren't going around testing pills before we took them. I watched people grab them out of bowls like free candy at a bar in Dallas. Real, honest to God party favors. Will you ask your friend if starting with safrole has any possibility of making a difference? Even if his answer is no, I'm willing to bet that the chemical compound is just a tiny bit different somehow. I don't buy the shit about enantiomers. The drugs feel too different.

Here is there article. And Cheers to the guy who worked for Dole, where he resurrected one great compound.
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conte...rt00015?crawler=true&mimetype=application/pdf

That would be interesting to read past reports and compare them to the modern reports that appear on the site today.

So, here are some of the oldest on the pillreports website. This would have been just at the end of the time that I was getting good pills.

https://pillreports.net/index.php?page=display_pill&id=24
https://pillreports.net/index.php?page=display_pill&id=92 (this is not a report of a great pill, but notice how the user is looking for the eye wiggles and eye dilation)
https://pillreports.net/index.php?page=display_pill&id=4 (another one with focus on the eyes)

Overall, if you read through those 2005 reports you see a lot of people talking about "eye wiggling" or noting at what point their eyes dilated. Those were clear markers for the experience and whether you had good stuff or not.

Sympathetic MD, as a neuro-scientist, any idea what the effect of 1-(3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)-2-propanol as an impurity would be?

Status
Not open for further replies.