• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Drug/Legal issues impacting school/job

You can say you spent that time eating pizza and meditating in the sewers on a quest to develop ninja skills, super powers, and a knowledge of power point that would make you perfect for the job.

You may have to start at the bottom again in order to put some more experience on your resume.

Personally I have been to prison twice and arrested countless times. That has not stopped me from getting a job where I make between $800 to $1200 per week. I will say it was hard to find a job and I got discouraged at times but I ended up with a job that I like.

Yes and no I'm not successful but its not the record that holds me back to much its more my own personal problems.

Few debtor's gross dishonesties and accounting offenses along with gross tax frauds. I guess I have done my economic crimes 101 course well. Still 500 000+ euros criminal benefits on distraint. Can't own anything worth more than few grands or it is taken away from me for next 20 year but luckily they can't touch my war veteran benefits. Well that pretty much changed my lifestyle to normal instead of jetting around helping others to hide their money after I came back from Afghanistan.

Currently on university and my major is Tax Administration.

Started breaking into homes at fourteen stealing alcohol and prescription pills. A neighbor saw me go into one of the homes amd called the police. They were able to link me to the crime (they didn't connect me to any others though there were many) by finding the prescription bottles with the name and address. No charges were pressed and I was sent to rehab instead. Caught two theft charges stealing beer and cheap liqour. Vandalism. Another breaking/entering after high school. A few friends and myself dropped acid then partied in a newly built house that nobody lived in yet. It was reduced to trespassing and vandalism. I ended up doing three months in county that time after getting violated for marijuana, then failing another test for marijuana, opiates, and benzos right after being released from another in patient facility for rehabilitation.

Got caught smoking spice in my car in a parking lot where I worked at the time. This was after my DUI. Had an interlock device and everything. The night of my DUI I also had weed and a bowl on me. Flash a couple years before that, I got caught with two caps of molly outside of a Bassnectar set, again just chilling in a car in the parking lot. Swallowed them right in front of the cops then proceeded to get choked out. I've totaled three cars while intoxicated, somehow still only have one DUI (girlfriend to the rescue)

Unfortunately this is the short version, and I may be forgetting some things. Surprisingly still I have zero felonies because my father always paid for my lawyer. I should have gone to prison many times, but believe I have paid for my dark past in other ways, call it karma if you will. It's been three years since my last run in with the law. I don't put myself at risk anymore. Every crime I have ever commited stemmed from my addiction. I got away with a lot more then I should have. I would not consider myself successful criminally speaking.

Last edited:
Hey sober living i have a question about a job imterview im going to tonight so some quick responces would be helpful. So around january of 2015 i watched my grandmother who raised me have a stroke and take her last breath, if that wasn't enough then the mother of my child left me and i stopped seeing my son for quite a while. This drove me to drinking heavily and a few meth/mdpv binges which eventually resulted in me losing my job.

Well i recently moved from Ky to Az and am now living at a halfway house and trying to stay sober. I have my first job interview in years and i really don't know what to say about my time being unemployed. Should i be straight up or maybe just make an excuse and try to avoid the subject as much as possible? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

It doesn't matter what you say, it's how you sound. If when you talk about your last 3 years your face goes dark, even if you say you had an exciting time in Tibet learning Kung-Fu, the interviewer will know you shot methamphetamine until you heard voices in a dark corner and pissed in plastic bottles.

It's nice that you ask yourself these questions and try to prepare...find other questions too that would put you in difficulty, then come up with an answer and practice that until you can talk about it like a Hockey game.

Like, you gotta sound happy about your past. That's why psychopaths belong in jail away from people, it's because they can sound happy and joyful after raping and killing 5 women, so people think they're law abiding citizens...because that's how they look!

In my experience, it is best to leave anything about personal issues out of your job interview and employment.

Representation of your addiction, which is a legitimate illness as defined by societal norms now, like "I have had a serious illness which has affected my ability to work", rather than "I have been addicted to heroin for 4 years" is the best way to get through this hurdle, in my opinion.

You would not be lying, you are stating a fact, but merely leaving out anything which is irrelevant to your job - the amount of time you spent trying to obtain your substance is of no practical importance to how well you will perform your job now that you have gotten over your addiction.

Well i recently moved from Ky to Az and am now living at a halfway house and trying to stay sober. I have my first job interview in years and i really don't know what to say about my time being unemployed.

You moved across the country, this can be a big change that can take time to find new employment. If it were me I would just explain that the move has left me putting things in order in a new place, while looking for a job. If they ask what you did for money during this time, say you had a savings set up, or that you had help. Definitely don't tell them that you were on a long bender during this period.

Also, I just realized this thread is months old.

Finding Employment After Being Fired for Benzodiazapine Abuse

Hello. This is my first post here. I am in a tough spot and I am looking for some insight from other forum members. I do no know where to post this, as my question is not about a particular substance.

I was working at a grocery store for a while. I hated going to work sometimes, but now I very much miss working. I miss having money and structure in my life. I am lucky enough to have people who care about me and give me a place to stay. If it was not for them, I would be on the streets.

I used to get anxious when I went to work; the customers, my coworkers, and the hours slowly dragging by got to my head. What do I do when I'm stressed? Xanax. Well at least that's what I used to do, until I experienced my first mild benzo withdrawal. While it was very, very slight (not as bad as coming off kratom, which was a very mild physical dependency for me as well.) it was enough to show me that benzos will not work for anxiety even in very small doses, unless you use them strictly for short term relief. I now get relief using natural coping skills, or gentle substances such as ashwaganda or l-theanine. I save the xanax for very rare use as a last resort.

So I started taking very small amounts of xanax and going to work. It really made work bearable without impairing my functioning too much. This period did not last for long. One time I acquired xanax from a new source and took what I thought was about .5mg, or a little more. (1/4 bar) It turns out the bars were double pressed, and I didn't know it. Taking even .5mg of xanax before work is a bit irresponsible for me considering how sensitive I am to the drug. Taking what I know now but didn't know at the time was a full mg resulted in a semi-blackout, enough for one of my managers to pick up that I was under the influence of something.

I vaguely remember being told to report to the store manager who questioned me asking me if I was on anything. At this point I was fucked. I denied everything and was asked to take a drug test. I immediately refused knowing I would fail for marijuana and xanax. That was it, I was terminated for suspicion of being under the influence of an illegal substance.

Ever since this happened my life has been hell. I feel like a worthless bum and a leech. I have tried to get jobs but fail everytime. Even when I had an "in" and I felt I was guaranteed the position, I was still denied it either because of my termination from my previous grocery store job or because of my criminal record which I will not be able to expunge for another year. Other things have happened to me as well, and I will not go into detail as I feel like this post is already too wordy for the question at hand. I have tried making money in various ways including freelancing but I am just too depressed to make much money, I need a job and money first. At this point I view my life as a living hell.

My question: What should I write on job applications when they ask why I was terminated from my previous position without disclosing what happened. I have previously written that my employer noticed I was tired and fired me for not performing too well, but that still looks very bad and they probably know what is up. As a reasonably intelligent person, I get the feeling that writing that I was "fired due to being barred out" would instantly bar;) me from employment. Especially with the other charge on my record.

I want to work again. I want to get my life together. I am sick of this lifestyle I am living. I am a good person who works hard and I usually make good decisions. I want to wake up without the sickening feeling of truly wanting to die. I never thought it would come to this, I thought I would become a successful person. This is my ultimate low in life and it shouldn't be this way.

Thoughts? Advice?

Lie. Im serious. Find a friend at the old job and theres your reference.

I totally agree, telling the truth can do nothing but hurt my chances of getting a job. I have a chance to get a good job which my family has connections with the owner of the company. I was wondering what exactly I should say, because I have to say that I was fired and state a reason.

Its tough. I do believe honesty is noble, but not so noble that we continue to get punished for past deeds. I have perspective as both the employer and employee on this but all jobs are different in their hiring practices.

I will give you my personal feelings on this. If I was highering additional staff, I tend to evaluate the person, not their history. Sure things like termination or employment gaps may raise my suspicion, but would not automatically disqualify someone if it wasnt a habitual thing.

If Im trying to get a job, well eating and sleeping inside are more important to me than if I blur truth and reality as to why I have an iffy patch in my history. I dont know the exact details of your new job, and the family connection could be troublesome, but you do what needs to be done to get the job and then prove you deserve it. My 2 cents but please talk to those you know as well before proceeding.

Yep, lie. Never tell people you were fired. Laid off is the worst I would say.

Get a family member to give you a reference. If they ask for 2, you must have someone you worked with who could give you a reference? Usually, a reference is 1 manager and 1 person you worked with. Although I don't know that someone working in a grocery store would have to go through that bs. I get my sister to be my manager and then ask one of the guys I worked with to be the other one. My problems are always with managers but not my team. lol I guess problems with authority. lol

I don't know how it is in other fields, but I've personally never had an employer call the previous company's HR department.

Yep, lie. Never tell people you were fired. Laid off is the worst I would say.

Get a family member to give you a reference. If they ask for 2, you must have someone you worked with who could give you a reference? Usually, a reference is 1 manager and 1 person you worked with. Although I don't know that someone working in a grocery store would have to go through that bs. I get my sister to be my manager and then ask one of the guys I worked with to be the other one. My problems are always with managers but not my team. lol I guess problems with authority. lol

I don't know how it is in other fields, but I've personally never had an employer call the previous company's HR department.

I have all my references in check. I will be more specific about my issue: I have a minor misdemeanor for possession of marijuana paraphernalia and a speeding ticket on my record. It specifically asks about both of these things on the application and I planned on just telling the truth about both of those things as lying would be illegal and I believe they may do a background check. This is where I was going to be honest.

The application also specifically asks if I have ever been terminated or asked to resign from a job. Should I just go ahead and check no? Or should I say yes and make up a lie about the reason? Another problem is during the employment history I have to check either resigned or terminated and give a reason. I suppose if I lied on the other part of the application I could just put that I resigned because I was no longer interested in working there. I think that I also have the option of not disclosing my employment history at all but that could potentially look bad as well because I haven't had any other jobs besides for that one. I do not think that they would call and check.

This is a drug free workplace! And I do not want to screw this up. The odds of me getting work here seem pretty damn likely but I do not see myself getting the job if I disclose the xanax ordeal, on top of the other criminal charges. My family has told me to be honest, which I get. If I was an employer I would want my employees to be honest. But I do not think it would be good for my situation at all in this case. My therapist even told me to lie on applications but I want to make sure I do it right if I do.

Lie about getting fired from a shit job.

Just pretend like you never worked there and also I would really doubt a grocery store would test for benzos cuz that is gcms territory and those are like at least 600 bucks vs the ten bucks they spend on a 5 panel.

I dunno, I would let them fire me vs. quitting cuz its a shit job and unemployment pays out but yeah I wouldn't bother putting really shitty jobs on a resume especially if I was fired. I never been fired but I have quit under less than ideal circumstances.

You could do some volunteer work so it doesn't look like you doing fuckall and seeing how you volunteering. maybe they will get creative with the paperwork so you do not have a big gap in your resume. Volunteer work is good for your resume if you fresh out of college and can't find employment but yeah having big gaps in your work history usually lead to a question or two you don't want to get in to so maybe beat them to the punch and not have a big gap.

Either that or take some classes. It is so much easier to get a job when you are working or at least doing something with your time you can put down on paper.

Just get people you know as referrences and then your resume is whatever you put on it.

Ah, ok this is another issue.

Do you have plenty of employment history to leave off the one where you were fired for xanax? These are totally separate grocery chains, correct? A lot of times how far they will dig depends on your position too. Is this a management position? If not, you can be more relaxed. I doubt they are calling previous employers for bag boys and cashiers. If you're handling money or pharmacy work, then they could dig more.

I've known plenty of places that blow off weed stuff. Most people don't see it as a big deal even if they say they are drug free.

For the drug thing, did they arrest you or just give you a citation? If you weren't arrested, don't worry about it. Nobody cares about a speeding ticket.

An arrest will show up on a background check, but they hand you the background check paperwork to sign along with anything else to fill out, so you know if they are doing a background check. Unfortunately, I would not lie about it if you were arrested. I've seen it go both ways. Someone lied about this and the company fired them when the background check came in a few days later, and I've seen someone with jail history for drugs be honest about it and they hired him anyway.

It may be automated though Lysis. Having worked in the drugstore business including currently a grocery chain, many have it tied to the application and if something comes up, you cannot be hired. My current place didnt for me but I am not sure for the cashiers and other staff. Im guessing its lax though, as they dont even drug test.

But it must tell you on the application that they are doing it, right? I can't imagine that they can do one without you signing off on it.