• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Do You Believe In Aliens?

"
"I thought you just told me they used radio."

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat."

"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much. So what do you advise?"

"Officially or unofficially?"

"Both."

"Officially, we are required to contact, welcome and log in any and all sentient races or multibeings in this quadrant of the Universe, without prejudice, fear or favor. Unofficially, I advise that we erase the records and forget the whole thing."

"I was hoping you would say that."
"

Haha. I liked that. Singing meat :D

If there's other sentient life that can travel through interstellar space, then we'd be pretty primitive to them. They'd probably have the wisdom and respect to not interact with us. Conspiracy theorists say that aliens are taking over our government and manipulating society. Why would they though? If they can travel through space then our technology means nothing to them. If they wanted our planet for themselves they could just wipe us out. Chances are, if anything, Earth is just a pit stop for natural resources, or an interesting study in animal and plant life. That's assuming anyone knows we're here.

The reason I think this is that any species that can evolve to the point of cooperation where they could achieve such feats would have to be a lot more enlightened that we are. Part of the reason why humanity is still a cultural backwater is because we're too busy fighting each other and destroying our own home. If we could cooperate and make the focus learning as much as we can about ourselves and our place in the universe, we could do amazing things.

But... according to anthropology and archeology, we came into existence about 150,000 years ago, and our first major settlements were only around 5000-6000 BC. I personally don't believe in that time line but even so, we're pretty recent.

and if we had no religion holding us back for over a thousand years just think how far we may have progressed

Damn, I like to quibble with you Zomby. Who charted the stars for the Aztecs, Myans, Egyptians, Druids, Hebrews, Greeks, Romans, and for the first bit anyway Christians? If you would of said the last 150years or so I wouldn't have much of an argument other than "not all devout".
Before religions could be proven full of shit so easily, and so free of consequences in most places, that was where the scholars and scientists were. Now the devout who would hold themselves high are reduced to shaking their fists at what should be valuable and useful knowledge, that our spiritual ancestors would of died for. There has to be a way to bring them on board with investing in astronomy.

Last edited:
and if we had no religion holding us back for over a thousand years just think how far we may have progressed

Something of an impossible though. Religion has been responsible, at least partially, for heaps and heaps of sufferring but it has also achieved great things. Its played a huge role in advancing our species. So much science, mathematics, art, music, history can be traced back to religion. I'd actually say that without religion I doubt we would have progressed as far as we have.

I say that as one that is unsure of whether progress, or the manner with which we undertake it, is such a positive. I also don't believe in the mystical parts of most religion, and see their role primarily as one of creating order, unity and shared values.

But I don't think we actually need such organisations anymore and I feel like much religion is incompatible with modern life and I think it is declining. Something of a pity, but inevitable I think.

IMO humans would have suffered regardless. Before the Abrahamic faiths came along there were still warlords and tyrannical governments. They were the rule not the exception. The Romans and Greeks who are so revered in our modern western epistemology were pretty scientific and look at how many nations they conquered and killed. Religion was just the institution du jour during a time period when humans were generally pretty barbaric. In fact, not much has changed. The creative genius that advances humanity only comes to full fruition in a select few people while the general decorum of humanity remains relatively mundane. It's always been that way.

Most of the people who claim that today's institutions are far less violent tend to live in countries that are privileged enough to not see the kind of crap going on in the rest of the world. Arguably more of humanity is enslaved and oppressed now than ever before, it's just a lot more insidious. In other words, same shit, different pile. Our material accomplishments distract people from the fact that we're still living out our baser natures the vast majority of time. It's just that the face of the drama has changed. And no I'm not being cynical. Humanity is evolving. We degenerate and regenerate over and over again with marginal improvements each time, but it's not in leaps and bounds. Too many people think our level of technology is a sign of how much better we are now, but if you look at how 99% of humanity is using that technology - for the same old drama - we haven't shifted hugely.

The speed of negative and aggressive group think has grown as individuals add to the stream.

Most of it is flotsam, IMO of course of course.

Meh, mundane people are alright. I'm one. I don't think I've ever met anyone whose views, values, and morals are all carefully self-examined and their own, myself included. The world is too complex for us apes to grow up healthy and strong questioning everything, we need a certain level of assumptions to stay healthy and to get shit done.
Maybe somewhere in the universe there is an alien species who is comprised of radical self thinkers who actually are capable of that....that would be a fun Star Trek

IMO humans would have suffered regardless. Before the Abrahamic faiths came along there were still warlords and tyrannical governments. They were the rule not the exception. The Romans and Greeks who are so revered in our modern western epistemology were pretty scientific and look at how many nations they conquered and killed. Religion was just the institution du jour during a time period when humans were generally pretty barbaric. In fact, not much has changed. The creative genius that advances humanity only comes to full fruition in a select few people while the general decorum of humanity remains relatively mundane. It's always been that way.

Most of the people who claim that today's institutions are far less violent tend to live in countries that are privileged enough to not see the kind of crap going on in the rest of the world. Arguably more of humanity is enslaved and oppressed now than ever before, it's just a lot more insidious. In other words, same shit, different pile. Our material accomplishments distract people from the fact that we're still living out our baser natures the vast majority of time. It's just that the face of the drama has changed. And no I'm not being cynical. Humanity is evolving. We degenerate and regenerate over and over again with marginal improvements each time, but it's not in leaps and bounds. Too many people think our level of technology is a sign of how much better we are now, but if you look at how 99% of humanity is using that technology - for the same old drama - we haven't shifted hugely.
you make some good points, but at least I think you have to agree that there are at least some countries in this age, where people can live in relative freedom. I'm not too good with history, but a couple hundred years ago, there was probably more poveryt and oppression than nowadays. We live in an age, where human rights are at least a thing people recognize and talk about. of course far from all is done, but we are getting there eventually, I hope.

... The creative genius that advances humanity only comes to full fruition in a select few people while the general decorum of humanity remains relatively mundane. It's always been that way.
Arguably more of humanity is enslaved and oppressed now than ever before, it's just a lot more insidious. In other words, same shit, different pile. Our material accomplishments distract people from the fact that we're still living out our baser natures the vast majority of time. It's just that the face of the drama has changed. And no I'm not being cynical. Humanity is evolving. We degenerate and regenerate over and over again with marginal improvements each time, but it's not leaps and bounds. Too many people think our level of technology is a sign of how much better we are now, but if you look at how 99% of humanity is using that technology - for the same old drama - we haven't shifted hugely.
I agree. We're still people, We still benefit from the ruthless, cruel, and oft stupid exploitation of people far and wide, even if I just sell produce for a living and hate seeing people get a shit deal. I don't think I've contributed much to the advancement of all humanity. Don't think I ever will. Bit of speaking up, and light volunteer work maybe. If I get lucky cook on a research station in some remote and terrible place like Antarctica. Still my mostly harmless life is all built on the corpses of the equally deserving. When I get done with this, I'll probably smoke a bowl and watch someone play video games on Youtube with my wife while we gossip.
What is pure, our scientific knowledge and engineering prowess is still increasing faster and faster, and that's pretty cool.
But, if humanity is still a thing in two thousand years, I bet it'll still be ran by assholes, on human suffering, for the benefit of the oblivious.

Its true, suffering existed independant of religion; still does. I do wonder though; when we look at the major world religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism) there is an emphasis on suffering as an inherent part of being a flawed human. I wonder if that almost sanctified suffering. Whilst I totally agree that religion did not cause or instigate human suffering I don't believe it really achieved what should be fundamantal to religion, that is making life better. For me, only buddhism comes close by saying that, yes, suffering is persistent and widespread, but there is a way to experience sorrow and pain and not suffer. Abrahamic religion almost see's suffering as our lot in life; I find that idea exceedingly unpleasant.

Good post foreigner :)

I agree. We're still people, We still benefit from the ruthless, cruel, and oft stupid exploitation of people far and wide, even if I just sell produce for a living and hate seeing people get a shit deal. I don't think I've contributed much to the advancement of all humanity. Don't think I ever will. Bit of speaking up, and light volunteer work maybe. If I get lucky cook on a research station in some remote and terrible place like Antarctica. Still my mostly harmless life is all built on the corpses of the equally deserving. When I get done with this, I'll probably smoke a bowl and watch someone play video games on Youtube with my wife while we gossip.
What is pure, our scientific knowledge and engineering prowess is still increasing faster and faster, and that's pretty cool.
But, if humanity is still a thing in two thousand years, I bet it'll still be ran by assholes, on human suffering, for the benefit of the oblivious.

I think that our animal heritage will continue to be played out on global scales. I do not believe humanity, in this state, has much further to go before the fall.

I do not believe the world is getting better and that we are more "free" in any meaningful sense. Materially, we have more; we have food-surplus, we have trust in the future. We have 'rights'. But, we are all living in the most bizarre and hypocritical world. We all know what we are doing to the environment and how the west is vampiring off the developing world, but we mitigate it by saying that we also seek to increase the standard of living in the developing world. But, the fact is, we simply cannot afford to do so. We literally do not have enough resources to allow all humans to live in the affluence we of the west do. In that sense, human rights are a problem. Every human think they are equal but the benchmark is the wealthiest. It is an economic fact that the entire global populace cannot live like that, but we do not ever talk about the west tightening our belts and living simpler lives. Far from being free, we are inculcated from birth to think that this is the only way, capitalism and the daily grind. Perhaps we need the perspective of aliens. :\

I don't, I cannot express this very well. For most of my life I have been aware that this existence is fucking batshit. So many people are living shit lives that make them unhappy but because there doesn't seem to be an alternative, we just tolerate it and then die. There must be a better way. Is it too late to start again? I think we will soon enough be forced to concede that it is but we have no choice. The future is shadows to me.

I believe life on earth was alien to this planet before the first microbials hitched a ride on asteroids. I imagine the world is a being in itself. Like an ovum fertilized by the seed of life from above. This world's potential is being actualized from a planet into a biosphere. Like all life it simply does the will of the cosmos. its grows to its full maturity blossoms and dies. I think when this world goes, life will continue to survive in the debris and will eventually find a new planet to crash into. thats its method of reproduction. it will spread its seeds to a new planet and begin the process again, but this time the seeds will carry Earth's impression with it. Life will have a whole range of new potentials with its new environment. And the cycle will continue until a similar thing happens to the universe itself! And, maybe from the rubble of this universe a new one will be reborn. It just makes more sense that life came from somewhere else that would have a larger timescale for molecular evolution .

I don't just believe, I know for a FACT aliens are real. However, they don't exactly resemble the stereotypical grey humanoids we've all come to associate with the word 'alien'.

Meet the Water Bear,
tardigrade.jpg

The sexy cute and cuddly microscopic Alien.

He's just a water bear, with little feelings , surviving in space
Dancing and singing, with his cute bear face

Come on everybody sing it with me!

He's just a WATER BEAR, with little feelings, surviving in SPACE
Dancing and singing with his cute bear face

One for Time

He's just a water bear, with little feelings, surviving in space
Dancing and singing with his cute bear face

Well, you've sure convinced me. :\

Godandlove - To be fair, these are Earth life creatures, not creatures from another planet. So it's not proof of anything except that life is fucking crazy. :) But for the record I believe it's basically impossible that life doesn't exist elsewhere in the universe.

I believe life on earth was alien to this planet before the first microbials hitched a ride on asteroids. I imagine the world is a being in itself. Like an ovum fertilized by the seed of life from above. This world's potential is being actualized from a planet into a biosphere. Like all life it simply does the will of the cosmos. its grows to its full maturity blossoms and dies. I think when this world goes, life will continue to survive in the debris and will eventually find a new planet to crash into. thats its method of reproduction. it will spread its seeds to a new planet and begin the process again, but this time the seeds will carry Earth's impression with it. Life will have a whole range of new potentials with its new environment. And the cycle will continue until a similar thing happens to the universe itself! And, maybe from the rubble of this universe a new one will be reborn. It just makes more sense that life came from somewhere else that would have a larger timescale for molecular evolution .

I was reading about the life "seeding" theory a few months ago. We know there are microbes on Earth that can survive the vaccuum of space for prolonged periods of time. It really makes sense. Imagine impacts throwing off pieces of a planet that contains such microbes, then those pieces floating around until they impact another planet. Some scientists believe that in the early stages of Earth, during the period of time when catastrophic impacts were commonplace, life was destroyed and re-seeded multiple times in this manner.

Nice post. :)