• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Do You Believe In Aliens?

Tardigrades, the water bears, would be a consideration as an organism that arrived here via space (the panspermia hypothesis). They can survive nearly anything and even have been shown to survive the vacuum of space. They also are not single cellular so giving rise to high organisms would be easier.

But there are drawbacks. Much fewer of the tardigrades would be expected to arrive then bacteria. Some also feel that they would evolve into mostly insects but who can really say. Panspermia is an interesting idea but somewhere abiogenesis must have occurred. I find it more likely that this process of life from non-life repeating itself than the concept of panspermia. But just my personal belief.

well, according to wikipedia, these things could survive about 10 years without water and food, but you also have to consider that 10 years is a pretty short time if we are talking about interstellar travel times (or even travelling within the solar system). yes we can send a spacecraft to a target within short times within the solar system (months for the inner planets), but some debris flying around in space can't decide to land on a suitable planet. I think the chance for something like this to have come here from space is very small.

and anything coming from other solar systems will take much much longer than that.

what you don't have on asteroids though is oxygen.... plus it's probably too cold on a rock in outer space to form life. (average temp in the universe is very very low).

why are my posts being deleted? oh well I can navigate back and paste it:
Tardigrades, the water bears, would be a consideration as an organism that arrived here via space (the panspermia hypothesis). They can survive nearly anything and even have been shown to survive the vacuum of space. They also are not single cellular so giving rise to high organisms would be easier.

But there are drawbacks. Much fewer of the tardigrades would be expected to arrive then bacteria. Some also feel that they would evolve into mostly insects but who can really say. Panspermia is an interesting idea but somewhere abiogenesis must have occurred. I find it more likely that this process of life from non-life repeating itself than the concept of panspermia. But just my personal belief.

First off panspermia and abiogenesis are not exactly at odds. Whether it occured on earth, on asteroids, on another planet, it would still be abiogenesis. Also, you are incorrect by saying abiogenesis MUST have occurred somewhere. Its perfectly logical to assume abiogenesis a likely scenario, but the mechanism for how life came do be is still unknown. Furthermore, if abiogenesis was the mechanism, it would more likely have occured on a comet or asteroid which has been around far longer than Earth, as there would be billions more years for chemicasl to randomly interact in such a way for molecular evolution to lead to the first self replicating molecule.

In addition, although the water bears are a beautiful and miraculous phylum of animal, it is unlikely they could survive in the harsh conditions of space longer than a week or so. It would take a great deal longer than that to travel to a sustainable planet.
For those who don't believe in panspermia:

www.extremetech.com/extreme/150417-...te-fragments-confirming-extraterrestrial-life

Anyone else ever get the Seed Trip on mushrooms? I'm going to woo out for a second, but many times mushrooms have told me that both them and I are spores blindly fertilizing creation. There was an old farmer in some other dimension who planted a seed that became our entire cosmos, but farmers plant a lot of seeds. He sings to all of his plants, We're not sure when, or what will happen at harvest time.

So yea I dig that panspermia is a legitimate hypothesis.

Hey turkalurk from what I can see you deleted that post. Maybe when trying to edit?

why are my posts being deleted? oh well I can navigate back and paste it:

First off panspermia and abiogenesis are not exactly at odds. Whether it occured on earth, on asteroids, on another planet, it would still be abiogenesis. Also, you are incorrect by saying abiogenesis MUST have occurred somewhere. Its perfectly logical to assume abiogenesis a likely scenario, but the mechanism for how life came do be is still unknown. Furthermore, if abiogenesis was the mechanism, it would more likely have occured on a comet or asteroid which has been around far longer than Earth, as there would be billions more years for chemicasl to randomly interact in such a way for molecular evolution to lead to the first self replicating molecule.

In addition, although the water bears are a beautiful and miraculous phylum of animal, it is unlikely they could survive in the harsh conditions of space longer than a week or so. It would take a great deal longer than that to travel to a sustainable planet.
For those who don't believe in panspermia:

www.extremetech.com/extreme/150417-...te-fragments-confirming-extraterrestrial-life

I wasnt saying it was one or the other, just as you said, abiogenesis would likely to have occurred somewhere at some point and panspermia could have seeded life elsewhere. It could even have occurred multiple times. But, yes I admit abiogenesis is not exactly a proven idea and life may have risen in other ways.

well, according to wikipedia, these things could survive about 10 years without water and food, but you also have to consider that 10 years is a pretty short time if we are talking about interstellar travel times (or even travelling within the solar system). yes we can send a spacecraft to a target within short times within the solar system (months for the inner planets), but some debris flying around in space can't decide to land on a suitable planet. I think the chance for something like this to have come here from space is very small.

and anything coming from other solar systems will take much much longer than that.what you don't have on asteroids though is oxygen.... plus it's probably too cold on a rock in outer space to form life. (average temp in the universe is very very low).

Actually, Tardigrades can withstand temperatures of -200 °C. The average temperature on the surface of a typical asteroid is -100 degrees F. When frozen, Tardigrades enter a state called cryptobiosis, in this state they can survive indefinitely.

http://www.zmescience.com/science/biology/frozen-tardigrades-18012016/

There may not be oxygen on asteroids, but there is ice, and that is all that is needed to house a Water Bear. Though, comets would probably be a more suitable spaceship for tardigrades.

https://www.rt.com/news/320007-rosetta-comet-oxygen-surprise/

YES, WATER BEARS ARE ALIENS!

In addition, although the water bears are a beautiful and miraculous phylum of animal, it is unlikely they could survive in the harsh conditions of space longer than a week or so.

They actually did survive longer than a week in 'bare space'. 68 % of the tardigrades sent into bare space lasted a full 10 days. No one knows for sure how long they can actually survive in the vacuum of space. Could be just the ten days, could be longer, we'll never know for sure until more tests are done. But, this is just bare space. However, when it comes to a tardigrade surviving in an ice pocket on an asteroid or perhaps even a comet, I for one think it is MORE than plausible.

This is a short but interesting article I found when I searched for biological candidates for panspermia...

After discussing how any 'panpsermic' organisms would have to be incredibly hardy, durable, long-lived and tolerant it goes on:

Scientific American said:
But the problem, and the potential paradox, is that if evolved galactic panspermia is real it'll be capable of living just about everywhere. There should be stuff on the Moon, Mars, Europa, Ganymede, Titan, Enceladus, even minor planets and cometary nuclei. Every icy nook and cranny in our solar system should be a veritable paradise for these ultra-tough lifeforms, honed by natural selection to make the most of appalling conditions. So if galactic panspermia exists why haven't we noticed it yet?

Interesting perspective. I hadn't considered that. But, I think you could argue that we really haven't been able to search all that deeply into other planets, and that there is a difference between conditions on asteroids/comets and terrestrial conditions. Perhaps the very thing that enables microbes to tolerate the extremes of space makes them badly adapted for some/many planetary conditions. Further to that, the theories often surmise that water/ice is essential to outer space survival and water isn't always abundant on orbiting planets.

But you could also ask why we haven't found any organisms in the many comet/meteoroids that impact earth presently and have throughout history. Given the absence of such evidence that seems to suggest that the event leading to earth being seeded was rare and 'lucky' and that not much microbial life exists in the nearby universe.

Its a fucking awesome theory though. Something compelling. I think that, at the very least, much of the building blocks were probably born in the asteroid belts and these would certainly have landed on young earth.

Last edited:
GodandLove said:
Actually, Tardigrades can withstand temperatures of -200 °C. The average temperature on the surface of a typical asteroid is -100 degrees F. When frozen, Tardigrades enter a state called cryptobiosis, in this state they can survive indefinitely.
that may very well be, but these conditions are not suitable for the necessary compounds to form life (amino acids, nucleic acids, and other things) to be produced. and since asteroids are debris which hasn't been intrgrated into a bigger structure (planet), it's pretty impossible to get life there by chance. and if life can't form on such an object by itself, I don't see how this should be possible.

But the problem, and the potential paradox, is that if evolved galactic panspermia is real it'll be capable of living just about everywhere. There should be stuff on the Moon, Mars, Europa, Ganymede, Titan, Enceladus, even minor planets and cometary nuclei. Every icy nook and cranny in our solar system should be a veritable paradise for these ultra-tough lifeforms, honed by natural selection to make the most of appalling conditions. So if galactic panspermia exists why haven't we noticed it yet?

I don't agree with this at all. That would be like saying, since Earth life organisms are real, then they should be capable of living just about everywhere on the planet. There should be stuff living in active volcanoes inside the molting hot magma. Derrrr duhhh, I like Turtles. 8(

Utter nonsense.

I don't agree with this at all. That would be like saying, since Earth life organisms are real, then they should be capable of living just about everywhere on the planet. There should be stuff living in active volcanoes inside the molting hot magma. Derrrr duhhh, I like Turtles. 8(

I don't think that's a great analogy. The author is talking very specifically about ultra-tough lifeforms. You would have to concede that any organism that can tolerate the extremes of space would have to be exceptionally hardy. If that is so, you could conjecture that they would/should not be excluded from many similarly tough terrestrial habitats. But, I do think the author overlooked a few things.

Godandlove, what say you to the complete absence of organisms found in space debris colliding with earth? Its been happening for billions of years and we haven't found a trace. I think this is probably the best argument against panpspermia.

None of those creatures live inside the 'molting hot magma'. Living on the outskirts of an underwater volcano is an entirely different story.

Fair enough, but the diatoms were blown up with a volcano high up into the atmosphere drifted around up in the jet stream and then proceeded to colonize new environments.
The undersea volcanoes do have bacteria thriving in water far hotter than boiling even if the tubeworms and shrimp stay a bit further away.. I'm not convinced we won't find single celled life in magma one day - our knowledge of microbes is still in its infancy. Nothing can be proven yet though so here we are.

Panspermia is still just an idea, but it has not been ruled out.

I agree. We're still people, We still benefit from the ruthless, cruel, and oft stupid exploitation of people far and wide, even if I just sell produce for a living and hate seeing people get a shit deal. I don't think I've contributed much to the advancement of all humanity. Don't think I ever will. Bit of speaking up, and light volunteer work maybe. If I get lucky cook on a research station in some remote and terrible place like Antarctica. Still my mostly harmless life is all built on the corpses of the equally deserving. When I get done with this, I'll probably smoke a bowl and watch someone play video games on Youtube with my wife while we gossip.
What is pure, our scientific knowledge and engineering prowess is still increasing faster and faster, and that's pretty cool.
But, if humanity is still a thing in two thousand years, I bet it'll still be ran by assholes, on human suffering, for the benefit of the oblivious.

I have to refer back to inner work and debunking stories, narratives, mind and consciousness. If you can live life from a firmly rooted present awareness and debunk all your own inner crap, even the narrative of your own existence, you eventually see that this whole system of humanity is just something that's happening of its own accord. People apply linear trajectories to our evolution, like we're "supposed" to do something or go somewhere. The truth is that this shit show could go on for another 2,000 years, or 10,000. We could evolve into a completely different species and still be doing pretty much the same things we're doing now. Or we could live a billion light years from here, or...

My point is, what are you here to do? Why be so macroscopic about it? If you didn't have books, internet, education, and all these ideas floating around, then there'd just be you and your immediate environment. It's always going to come back to you. Aggregate evolution in the species is almost pointless to talk about. Even with all our micro-managing of our own biology and evolution, we have no idea where the road leads. So what it comes down to is this moment.

you make some good points, but at least I think you have to agree that there are at least some countries in this age, where people can live in relative freedom. I'm not too good with history, but a couple hundred years ago, there was probably more poveryt and oppression than nowadays. We live in an age, where human rights are at least a thing people recognize and talk about. of course far from all is done, but we are getting there eventually, I hope.

In a relative way, yes. But every time I hear the word "freedom" used in this constitutional, legalistic way I cringe a little bit. There are many humans on this planet who have legal freedoms, but there are very few humans who behave as though they really understand freedom. As far as I can tell, freedom is something that people aspire to, but not many have. They just assume they're free without interrogating the concept. Everyone on this planet is already free. How many realize it?

So yeah, I can walk down the street at night and not need four men surrounding me with torches and swords in case bandits try to attack me. I'm literate, have access to some interesting technological tools, the world is more connected, etc... but what are we doing with it? Are we really that much more free? The human condition chases us into every century.

I am almost certainly convinced that if sentient, advanced life exists out there and knows about us, the reason they haven't made contact is because of our state of consciousness. Nobody cares what fancy tools you have if the better part of you is still just an instinctual animal. Barely any time has passed since our nuclear awakening. Experimental bombs have been dropped all over the world, and one was used on Japan. The jury is still out and whether we stop ourselves from blowing each other up, so why would aliens come visit such a trigger happy species?

Godandlove, what say you to the complete absence of organisms found in space debris colliding with earth? Its been happening for billions of years and we haven't found a trace. I think this is probably the best argument against panpspermia.

There are many spatial bodies out there that are rich in hydrocarbons which may provide the substrate for organic life to coalesce upon, gradually forming complex molecules over time. So panspermia can also be about the components of life and not life itself.

The problem is that modern science cannot create a living cell from its separate components, so the jury's out.

Even if another form of sentient life created us, who created them? The question is never ending.

I was reading an ancient text about Daoist embryology recently... what some of the old Daoist schools think about the formation of life. This was back before they knew about DNA, but had some awareness of physical structure building upon itself. They believe that sperm and egg coming together attracted a higher, non-material life form (the human soul, so to speak). This spirit then coordinated all of the biological activities necessary to produce a physical body for itself. Matter is preceded by spirit.

That got me thinking. What if the universe is filled with non-material life, and some of it looks for compatible planets with the ingredients necessary to organize material life? We know that matter and energy are essentially the same thing, just at differing densities. That would mean, hypothetically, that non-material life is abundant in the universe, and the only confine to taking physical form is finding a place where matter can be appropriately structured.

Last edited:
Nothing in any of the material you provided suggests waterbears are an alien species. I will grant you they might survive long enough to colonize mars or somewhere in this solar system.

Some pretty weak arguments so far considering that we have only analyzed the smallest fraction of asteroids in the smallest timescale in comparison to the billions of years of asteroids. How much of outspace has been analyzed exactly? So how would we know? Futhermore we are finding life out there. Just waiting for the results of credible studies to be replicated. Wow, humanity can be so shortsighted.

Foreigner;13441281 My point is said:
you[/I] here to do? Why be so macroscopic about it? If you didn't have books, internet, education, and all these ideas floating around, then there'd just be you and your immediate environment. It's always going to come back to you. Aggregate evolution in the species is almost pointless to talk about. Even with all our micro-managing of our own biology and evolution, we have no idea where the road leads. So what it comes down to is this moment.
Well it does always come back to me because I'm unbelievably self centered, but I'm just here, I didn't ask to be born and as amazing and terrible as this world is if I'd have been asked I prolly would of declined the invitation, it hurts, a lot, and all signs point to it only hurting worse as I age. I am here though, and I got some people I don't want to let down and some dogs that need fed, I like music, drugs, and pop-sci articles on astronomy.
The best things in life happen in the moment, dancing, singing, riding a bike fast though the woods, sex, cooking...but, I can't live there, we can't live there, it's exhausting after it's done being exhilarating. It's also not where I make my most responsible choices. The macroscopic veiw is just trying to get outta my own head to think up something new, other than the stories I've grown sick of telling myself.

Nothing in any of the material you provided suggests waterbears are an alien species. I will grant you they might survive long enough to colonize mars or somewhere in this solar system.

Some pretty weak arguments so far considering that we have only analyzed the smallest fraction of asteroids in the smallest timescale in comparison to the billions of years of asteroids. How much of outspace has been analyzed exactly? So how would we know? Futhermore we are finding life out there. Just waiting for the results of credible studies to be replicated. Wow, humanity can be so shortsighted.

We haven't found any life in the universe... Besides us :D

We haven't found any life in the universe... Besides us :D
they have found fossils of alien algae.

they also found what they believe is evidence that life can be on a comet.

http://news.discovery.com/space/aste...ers-150706.htm

here is what a NASA scientist thinks:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-find-signs-of-alien-life-in-the-next-decade/

If you think earth is the only place that has life in the whole universe, then you are amazingly shortsighted and narrow-minded.