• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Stillkickin's attempt at a detox journal - Opiates

Hey all! Great to see some encouragement in here. Herbie, Stickman, Sixx, thank you for the kind words!

I'm still on zero pills since my last update. I've reduced the Kratom to 1.5 grams at most twice a day. I'm still having chills, stomach not the best but I'm managing, sleep is no bueno, and I'm fairly irritable. I'm also working on giving up smoking cigarettes too since I came down with bronchitis a couple weeks ago. I'm sure that's affecting me as well. I'm chewing up to 5 pieces of the lowest dose nicorette gum they make a day which helps, but I'm still feeling it regardless.

This heavy head and just flat out exhausted feelings are probably taking the toll the worst on me. I'm just pushing myself through going to work, going to the gym, went to a local NHL game last night with the gal ... but it's all going through the motions and I just can't seem to get excited over anything due to how tired and dragging I am. Does anyone have any good advice for help with that? I don't like stimulants but I do have a few 30mg adderall at the house I could take 1/4's of once or twice a day but I'd prefer to be more alert on my own. Anxiety has been tough as well. I have xanax, but since I broke free from that dependence a few years ago, I very rarely will ever take any of them either. I'm forcing myself to eat fairly well and get my vitamins and probiotics down each day. It just feels like I'm doing everything I can but feel sooooo blah!

Here's to the camaraderie!

-SK

Hey baby!

Si happy to see you trying so hard! But... Please take it a bit easier physically, I fear you will push yourself into utter illness and exhaustion. I tend to just push push push as well, I've been sick about a week and honestly should've admitted myself to the hospital at least for an iv drip for dehydration. So I stopped pushing myself for once!

Well, I mean, you know your body best. Just be careful you dont spread yourself too thin.

Congrats on everything good happening right now :) All the best to you. You've certainly earned the joy imo :)

Keep going! I've got another attempt coming up soon myself. :) Been on a bit of a spiritual journey. Hopefully I can get there this time. So jealous as I don't kmow where to get shrooms.currently lol.

Be well, hon :) xoxoxo

I just lost a giant post right as I was going to submit it... :(

I'll consider retyping it up later ...

I jumped earlier today around noon with a final dose of 15mg oxy. Have Lyrica this time to help and it seems to be helping. Damn, sucks to lose that post. I digress.

ABW, I didn't see your post from last month. I hope everything is going well! Thank you so much for the sweet words and message! I hope to see a positive update from you!

-SK

Stillkickin: Lyrica seems to help I lot my friends... I hope it works for you!!

Stillkickin: Lyrica seems to help I lot my friends... I hope it works for you!!

It does definitely seem to help, but it's not a cure all for me. It makes me a bit spacey, which sometimes I don't mind, sometimes it gets in the way. Thank you for the well wishes though P0kemama! I'm gonna stop in on your thread next to see how things are progressing in your world.

So I'm still off the o's since Friday, today being Sunday. I took 2 T3's yesterday morning which concluded any remaining opiates I have other that the non-opiate Kratom. Took about 5g of Kratom yesterday. Probably not enough to really help me much. I took 3g of Kratom today. It seems to have helped my RLS and lower back pain but that's about it, oh and the chills have abated for now.

Other update, managed to have a decent sized fight with the girl last night (don't know what to call her with her being my ex-wife and all). I know I was pushing myself too much, but some friends of mine invited us out to their house for drinks last night and I powered through to go attend. Nearing the end of the night, she said a few things that I didn't care for. I don't believe it was intentionally hurtful, but regardless, it was to me. Then we ended up in a stupid debate about something completely unnecessary. This set me off to where I just kinda went quiet for the last 30 minutes of the night. Once we got out to the car, she asked "So just how mad at me are you?!" in a very condescending tone. She often doesn't realize how for lack of better words, bitchy her tone can be. You just can't accept an apology when it's said in a tone that sounds like there's absolutely no sincerity in it. I drove her to her apartment, got into my car and went home. She was firing on me pretty much the whole ride home. It was everything I could do to keep my own temper in check. I have to work very hard to accomplish that feat. I was at about on E when it comes to my patience last night, so I couldn't stay there with her.

In trying to patch things up today, some things have been said. She has a bit of an inferiority complex with me. She feels like I'm always correcting her or fact checking things she says. Now I don't feel that's accurate as that was always a complaint of hers and I believe she just feels that way as a result of the whole inferiority deal. She's a very accomplished person, so I don't know where she's getting that from. I'm very proud of what she's accomplished, but I think she knows that she always had help whereas I had to do everything on my own (financially, family support wise, etc) and I've done in two careers what she's done with one in the same time frame. She has a master's degree whereas I didn't even finish college. I would NEVER point this stuff out to her, it just seems that's what she's using as her reference. I dunno, this is quite the rant, but isn't that what TDS is for?? It's probably quite obvious in my writing I am less composed than usual.

If you read all this, thanks for the time. Good vibes and what have yous to everyone in the trenches!!!

-SK

Hey :)

Take this for what it's worth as I don't personally know either of you, and I know her far less than I even kmow you:

Is she the type to try to ruin good things for you out of, perhaps, jealousy?

If so,.could she be trying to screw up your sobriety? Was you not bring sober the *one thing* she could hold over you to be "superior" to you? And now shes losing that? Sometimes people will swear up and down that they want you sober, but then.....they realize once you ate sober that you KICK THEIR ASS in life lol, and they don't like that!

As far as her point of saying/claiming that you always correct her etc, only you can know if thats got any merit. And even if it's true it may not be a malicious thing. It could even be an unconscious defense against her attempts to reign superior! That is, if theres truly any merit to her claims. There might not be. I can't know that.

Just keep your eyes open for sabotage.... My husband, fir example, as much as he loves holding my use over my head, I honestly think he will somewhat lose it once I'm finally unchained.... Hes competitive, and will be angry at me that he is no longer "better" than me. Oh, hes also an alcoholic. But hey. He works! So ges superior! (When I was working 6 days aweek AND going everything around the house including groceries, cooking, all laundry etc etc, and almost died of pneumonia, bc I.was so worn down, well, that didn't count. Lmmfao The Sabs are real lol).

Just a thought.

Don't let it interfere with any goals you have for yourself. And you are damn well allowed to be PROUD AF that you accomplished everything ON YOUR OWN. People who got lots of help often act that way I seem to find/witness. My husbands sister is one. Got SO MUCH HELP, acts like shes a better human bring than others who are struggling. Cracks me UP. lol

Be well, keep fighting the good fight!

Peace xoxo

I had 2 quit my job, it's the only way 2 assure I quit. When the $$$ dries up, than u'll have no choice but 2 quit. Started off on pills, ex's mom used 2 give them 2 me like it was candy, for like 10 yrs. Ended up wit another guy (fiance), where we got into H together. I tore us apart, we started arguing, I started 2 not like him, than his dad died & he had 2 go. He had no choice but to go Cold Turkey, when he left. I told him I stopped, he believed me, until he realized I was still talking 2 our dealer. So he completely cut me out of his life, mths down the road, I kept telling myself I would quit next payday, but that never happened. So I had to quit my job, could afford my apt, now my car is about 2 b taken. H devoures everything from u

Hey, hon :)

How are you hanging in there right now? I know on my thread you said you had enough for another day, eight days till refill, so unless you supplemented with something, you're in withdrawal.

So, wanted to check in and see how you are doing.

I also wanted to say thank you for all of your compassion, empathy, and moral support in the past.

You're a special human being for sure.

I understand how chronic pain impacts you. And yet you've achieved so much. I've got to get up my last bit of strength and get this over with, so I can use the time to do more productive things like get a business of the ground, or money to go to healthier food, supplements, business ventures, bills lol, etc (it takes up so much more time than just getting the cash, making a call, and meeting up .... Constant budgeting, re-budgeting, then double and triple checking I've not left our any builds, that they're all paid perhaps not on time but not so late things will get turned off, covering the extent up from my abusive alcoholic husband, stressing about running low, stressing about impending dope sickness, waiting for an hour to pick up at times {for the record, that doesn't make me *mad*; that's to be expected. That's how it is when obtaining on the street. It's just time I could be doing other things, is all}, trying to schedule everything around being well/sick, the list goes on and on and on.....sigh).

Pain is a formidable opponent, pretty much the only major problem I've not yet been able to find a good way to desk with.

I hope at least you aren't being hard on yourself for anything. This ain't no joke and you're a strong and intelligent man. You're very capable, your coping mechanisms are healthy in general, etc....in other words, this only serves to prove just how difficult chronic pain is to cope with not just on a physical level, but a mental, emotional, spiritual level, on the level of practicality, like, working, getting everyday tasks done, etc. It's extremely difficult and in my experience no one who has not endured this types of struggle really has an even SOMEWHAT decent idea about just what a struggle it makes LITERALLY EVERYTHING.

Yet, you are victorious, every singe day, in so many, many ways. I do hope you focus on that, and don't beat yourself up.

I'm here for you, in this thread, my thread, PMs, email. I'm here for you and I understand.

Lmk how you are doing. Ok? I'm happy to listen :)

Sending you lots of love, strength, prayers, and positive energy :-* Take good, kind, gentle care of yourself and don't forget how STRONG you are, my friend :)

Peace Xoxoxoxo

Apologies for not updating the thread in quite some time. Thank you for checking in on me ABW! Very sweet of you!

So this will probably be a considerable update. If you're up for the read, I appreciate it and am happy to review any feedback.

My life has been up and down the past few months, but this week it took a hard turn. I had mentioned I was giving it another go with the ex. She managed to convince me she was really in it and was different this time around. Some of the sweetest things I still have in writing about how she was never truly there for me in the past and she would spend as long as it would take to show me through actions that she will be moving forward. She really did too, for quite some time, until Monday.

Monday I sensed things weren't good between us. Something was off. Granted I had just taken the weekend to myself, which was communicated in advance, as I had a rough 5 day relapse (that I kept hidden) that ended on Saturday/Sunday. She had said that she just didn't know, which was almost verbatim from 5.5 years ago when we were married and she said the same thing. I tortured myself for 3.5 months trying to win her back then, but nothing could turn off the cold. Monday I went over to her place and sat next to her on the couch and asked her to talk to me, calmly and sincerely (I was in the throws of detox that whole day, and in an IT bootcamp nonetheless all day for work). She just wasn't the same person as who I saw last week. She went in to say that my depression was causing her a lot of doubts. While she stated that it resembles nothing comparatively to the past, it still made her think she wasn't equipped to deal with it. This is just 2 months from the long letter that I described above where she pleaded me to lean on her when I was having "down" times. I felt heartbroken all over again.

The next day at work I decided I couldn't just be a fish on a hook, flopping around gasping for oxygen. I messaged her and told her that she would need to really listen to her heart over the remainder of the day and night, but would have to get back to me by the next day if we were going to have a chance to work through this due to her promises and our history. She replied the next day with a longer message more or less regurgitating the same rhetoric from Monday night, just in a more palatable form. It was then that I decided I'd go home and pack up every memory I have of her that I can remove from my house and take it to her place as I just can't have that stuff in my life if she's not there to accompany it.

I got over to her place and first walked up to check in with her, to be sure there wasn't some revelation or epiphany during the rest of the workday. She verified her head was still in the same place. I told her I just needed to bring something up and say a few words, then I'd be out of her hair. I brought up the box I had packed and placed it on her kitchen table while she was sitting on the couch. I explained that I couldn't have that stuff around without her included. I stated my peace that I was willing to accept her for both her positives and her flaws, but I couldn't be around her if she couldn't repay that to me. She was crying quite a bit once she realized this very well could be the last time we ever talk. I sobbed as I said goodbye to my dog for the 2nd time in my life. I eventually made it out of there after she asked if there was any chance if we could work things out. I said I'd leave a window open, but each day that passes of her indecision, it will be closing.

Today is Saturday and not a peep. It sucks because we just booked a beach holiday week just 2 weeks prior. Will have to deal with refunds and whatnot somehow in the next week if nothing is said.

K, that all said, here's the other updates in my life. Last month I passed a very difficult IT certification exam. It renewed all of my other current certifications and really helps expand on my other skills. I was also promoted to the highest level of senior engineer 2 weeks later. I can't believe in spite of all the depression, turmoil, addiction, etc that I came from a low-income housing start to go through 2 careers and make it to 6 figures by 33. I've been working so fucking hard over the past 5 years on my addiction and depression/anxiety to make peace with it all. Everything was starting to look like it was coming together until this week where it seemingly all unraveled. I do recognize it hasn't all unraveled and I'm still in a much better place than I was just 1 year ago, but it doesn't necessarily feel that way.

I haven't had an oxy since Wednesday (today is Saturday), but have just had a couple 5mg hydros and one dose of Kratom to get me to today. I have 7.5mg of hydro left which I intend on taking tonight, but plan to finish this insanely rapid taper tonight (went from 100-150mg (was a binge, not normal) a week ago to 20mg of hydro for a total day). I feel the worst of the physical w/ds are gone, but there are more than a couple lingering symptoms, namely depression/anxiety spiked very hard.

Even though I don't agree at all with her assessment of my mental health as it's nothing like it was in the past (exponentially better), it caused me to recoil and reflect quite a bit. I've been running circles with the pain meds for too damn long now. I kept making excuses why I needed just a little more because I'd have plans with her and didn't want to be sick and be a downer to her, so this perpetuated me never making the commitment to jump off. Well that part is out of the picture now. It's time to invoke change in my world. I have to make another real honest effort at this.

Side note: I've been following MDMA guided therapy and ketamine infusions for several years now due to such promising results of treating treatment resistant depression. I did a ton of homework and found that there are actually two clinics that offer this service where I live. I couldn't believe it as I thought it was still only in clinical studies, but if you have the cash to cover the infusions and have the right med record, they'll take you (insurance doesn't cover this treatment). I had my consultation earlier today and signed a letter of intent to undergo 6 infusions over a 3 week span that will begin in about 10 days. I figured fuck it, what do I have to lose?? If I can be unburdened to even a fraction, it will be money well spent. Even if it just lifts my spirits enough to keep the ops away and start some healthier life patterns of behavior (I've been struggling really hard to get back in the gym and start working on my house to put it up for sale).

I've removed two people from my life who were my street hookups already and will be messaging my normal doc to at minimum have my prescribed dose of oxy reduced by 25-50% which won't even be available for 3 more weeks.

So here we are again folks, a year and a half since the first post of this thread and I'm making another strong go at it. I imagine I'll be updating this thread a lot more as I only post when I'm trying to get out from under this shit.

Wish me luck all. Know I feel for everyone in the struggle and if I can survive this week, you can too. I've had some pretty intense suicidal ideation but I just keep putting the thoughts away as soon as I'm capable. I don't believe I'd ever act on any of that, but it's kinda like an OCD thought that I have to just deal with until it passes.

I'm going to be asking the mods to move this thread to Sober Living. I want to be done with these things and I think that will be a better home for this thread.

Till next time,

-SK

I'm moving your thread as soon as I post and will keep it up with it over there, SK. Congratulations on the work accomplishments--that cannot have been easy with everything else going on! I am truly sorry about your wife. I know how hard this must be since you had your heart shut down and then opened it up again. The second time is exponentially harder but in the long run it is best that she be honest about her feelings and not string you (and herself) along creating more pain along the way. Keep working on yourself and you will be that much more grounded and ready for a new relationship in time. I think recovery takes a lot of very necessary selfishness. That word is loaded with negative meaning but if you can take that off the top and see it as a concentration on the self it can feel honorable--which I truly believe it is. This can be taxing to even the most committed relationships but trying to keep a frail relationship going while at the same time confronting what keeps you in addiction can be overwhelming to say the least. Perhaps right now not worrying about your wife's happiness and simply concentrating on your own emotions will be beneficial.

I'm glad you are still trying. I know that you will prevail so don't lose hope.<3

Snap, just lost more than a long post, I'll try to repost later when I feel up for it. Writing hard words and then losing them when the post goes through sucks.

In short, thank you Miss Herby, for the words and the assistance. It's much appreciated. I concur with your message and will continue the good fight into and throughout today.

For quick note of the log, still coping with GI issues, chills/minor sweats, brutal insomnia and overall just tired.

Will be starting my gym routine again today, most likely in the next 1-2 hours.

Last edited:
Updating ...

I'm still sticking with this effort. I had an amazing experience 2 nights ago. It was something I didn't think possible. I'll probably expound on that more in a later post. I made it till yesterday without anything but I did end up with a total of 35mg of hydro in my system by day's end. It was a limited amount that I had access to and needed a break from the aches and chills. It was a decent reprieve, but I also know and recognized how it affects me psychologically. While I physically felt better, my anxiety spiked up while it was in my system. I see how the ops aren't good for my mental state.

So today has been a hard day. While I got a good amount of sleep last night, I don't feel rested mentally or physically. I'm still dealing with the loose ends from the relationship coming to a close, both figuratively and literally. I'm just trying to persevere for now. It's proving to be a challenge I have to stay cognizant of nearly every second. I feel very empty inside and still reeling from the pain of last week. I keep trying to remind myself that I have time and this feeling isn't permanent, but it's very tough. Time to force myself to eat something and get some vitamins in me.

-SK

Do you have anything planned for fun that isn't opioid related? Like going out to a concert, having dinner with a friend, going out to dinner by yourself, going to the beach or hiking, whatever.

I feel like, particularly with your relationship changes, doing something kind of yourself like that, which you can really enjoy (whatever it is), you'd be better off.

What loose ends are you dealing with these days? Adjustments like that can be very difficult.

Do you have anything planned for fun that isn't opioid related? Like going out to a concert, having dinner with a friend, going out to dinner by yourself, going to the beach or hiking, whatever.

I feel like, particularly with your relationship changes, doing something kind of yourself like that, which you can really enjoy (whatever it is), you'd be better off.

What loose ends are you dealing with these days? Adjustments like that can be very difficult.

Hey TPD, thank you for the response,

Nothing too much planned for this week. I'm doing my best to try and workout at least 3 times at the gym. Trying to force myself to eat some food and take vitamins.

Today has been a work from home day, so I haven't done too much, but I'm still going to try to get some form of physical exertion in at some point today in hopes to shake things up.

Loose ends?? The gal and I had a vacation planned for July that was already paid for on my card, including the flights. The reservations are under her name though. So unless I want to take a 3.5k hit, I've got to work that out with her still. We've had very limited contact since last week. Only one email each way. I'm trying to clean the proverbial fray that is the conclusion of our relationship. End things at least on a place I can live the rest of my life without regret. That's something very important to me. I've had enough regret in my life to last me for the remaining days.

I leaned on my xanax last week more than I typically do, due to a dependence I had with benzodiazepines in the past. I never found euphoria with them, but unknowingly developed a 5-7 year dependence I ended about 2 years ago. That was a wicked 9 months until I felt mostly myself. I think last week had a bit of a kindling effect on my CNS. I'm pretty shaky in my nerves, even to the point that if I don't focus, I get tremors in my hands. I've reeled in the benzo use over the weekend and through today. Ultimately, my main focus is just surviving today. It definitely feels like I had a scab over the wounds of everything, but today it was ripped off somehow (could be that 35mg I had yesterday).

-SK

Hey SK
How are you doing?
I've read a lot of your post and it's awesome to me that you're not giving up. I am on day 9 now CT. It has been absolute hell. This is my third go around on this crap in the last year and a half. I still feel rough but everyday gets easier.
I was up to 1 to 1.5 grams a day of h. Pills are so expensive where I live and h is everywhere.
I gabapentin and Xanax and weed. On day 3 I took a small dose of methadone. Maybe 10 MGs. It took several hours to actually work but it helped.
I would rather have had restoril/temazepam. It is a benzo but it knocks me clean out for 6 to 8 hours.
Anyhow congrats on everything with work and keep it up. If i can do this then you sure as hell can.

Hey SK
How are you doing?
I've read a lot of your post and it's awesome to me that you're not giving up. I am on day 9 now CT. It has been absolute hell. This is my third go around on this crap in the last year and a half. I still feel rough but everyday gets easier.
I was up to 1 to 1.5 grams a day of h. Pills are so expensive where I live and h is everywhere.
I gabapentin and Xanax and weed. On day 3 I took a small dose of methadone. Maybe 10 MGs. It took several hours to actually work but it helped.
I would rather have had restoril/temazepam. It is a benzo but it knocks me clean out for 6 to 8 hours.
Anyhow congrats on everything with work and keep it up. If i can do this then you sure as hell can.

Hey Mega,

Good on ya!! That's no small task. In my experience, it's very important to continue to remind yourself of what you've been through to get to this point. Later down the line it gets way too easy to see things in hindsight with rose tinted glasses. Appreciate you stopping in a dropping a few lines. :)

To recap where I'm at .... yeesh. I clearly had some type of reaction to using xanax and lyrica last week. Even though it was for a fairly short amount of time, I'm feeling it. I tried to run to the gas station yesterday evening and had to turn around halfway there. My vision is still messed up (blurry and things seem out of focus), still have some decent tinnitus, and CNS still not quite right. I talked to my boss today this afternoon. Even though I'm technically on call this week, I'm taking off tomorrow and Friday. I still have some things I need to get tied up to be done with everything from the past 2 weeks. Once I verified I could take the time off, I'm feeling a bit better. I at least have a few days I can focus on recovering from everything. As far as opiate issues go, still getting some chills and GI discomfort, but that part has eased up a lot all things considered.

I should be on here fairly frequently.

-SK

I'm so proud of you, honey :D

I'm gonna be right on your tail here in a minute. Slipped up... But am feeling so over it and sick of it in a way and on a level that I didn't previously... I feel good about this.

You are awesome and I'm so happy for you. You're so strong :)

Sending lots of love,, strength, hope, and wishes of feeling great to you Xoxoxoxo

I'm so proud of you, honey :D

I'm gonna be right on your tail here in a minute. Slipped up... But am feeling so over it and sick of it in a way and on a level that I didn't previously... I feel good about this.

You are awesome and I'm so happy for you. You're so strong :)

Sending lots of love,, strength, hope, and wishes of feeling great to you Xoxoxoxo

Hey ABW! Happy to see you in here. Your message was a perfect example of how people should never underestimate the impact a few of their words can make on an individual, especially one that's working through recovery. ABW, your words meant a lot to me this morning. I have nothing but the highest hopes and belief in you. We've both been fighting this back and forth for quite some time now.

Something feels like it has clicked though recently. I feel that I had an excuse in the ex to keep going because it was more important to sustain the relationship than to make the final jump. I have no excuses now. It's something I keep reminding myself of. Even with daily sweaty hands and chills that come and go, along with stomach problems and those incessant sneezing fits, I'm maintaining my resolve in the face of all of this. Do I think I'll be perfect moving forward? I don't know. I do know I'm not giving up regardless though. As in a previous post, I ended things with my 2 street connects. I've messaged the doc to reduce my script by 50% which comes out to 12.5mg oxy/day if I were to take it. I still have 2 weeks before it would even be approved for refill, so I still have time to think and give this a fair shake.

I'm looking back at what I endured over the past 2 weeks .... Fuuuuuccckkk ... Most people would not have been able to endure that. Only missing 3/4 a day of ethical hacking bootcamp, completing all of my after hours duties, all the while dealing with a very soul crushing breakup along with opiate withdrawals all saddled on top. Just when the op withdrawals started to give me a little bit of reprieve, bam! benzo/lyrica withdrawals next. Each day is getting a fraction better, and that has to be good enough for now. I'm fortunate enough to have a few days off of work. It's time to use that wisely. No pharmaceuticals in my system in 48 hours, no benzos in over 72, no opiates in a bit more than that (granted last op dose was very low considering how my normal amount and before that was 48 hours between the last very small dose).

I'll be sure to check back in before long. I'm meeting with the ex's dad tomorrow to tie up the remaining loose ends. He's already expressed extreme empathy as he cannot believe his daughter is doing this. I can tell he's a bit embarrassed, but he has too much respect for me to not meet up and talk things out a little. This man cried when he found out I was returning to her life he was so happy. I'm a messed up person inside, but I always do right by people even if it's at my expense. One of the ways I'm able to live with myself is knowing that.

Till next time,

-SK

I hope the talk with your ex's Dad goes well. I also hope it helps just a little to take the sting out of the loss of your ex.<3

What if you changed "I'm a messed up person inside" to "I am an intrepid explorer of the self and man, do I have the capacity to go down some really crazy paths!"=D

Herby, your quote tags are messing up when I try to reply. I'm just going to reply without the quote tags.