• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What do pharmacists see when you purchase codeine OTC

I would say when you use an id that perhaps all other govt issued or recorded id's are linked. That would not be hard for them to do.

edit: regarding the ID thing, I asked because I have used my student card recently as ID. But, it was rejected at another pharmacy who stated that it NEEDED to be a drivers license. In truth, the pharamacist was being a bit of a cunt. I told him I didn't drive (not true) and that it seems unfair that only people with drivers license's can access vital medication but he had already written me off as a drug seeker (true!) and dismissed my request. I told him he was rude and left. :\ It is discriminatory if only registered drivers can take these medications.

I'm starting to wonder if my own experiences with codeine withdrawal are anomalous. About 3 weeks ago, due to depression/anxiety/suicidal repetitive thoughts, I thought fuck it and just started taking codeine a few times a day. Usually low doses (400mg or so) just to elevate the mood and hopefully prevent something stupid. Anyway, this went for two weeks, I stopped a week ago, had very mild w/d for about 24 hours and then fine again. I've never had w/d last for longer than 2 days with codeine. 3 days before full physical recovery. Of course, the mind does not recover that quickly (if ever in entirety).

anyways, given my situation, i believe i can taper off, i have decent stocks and have a holiday targetted where i was going to taper off anyway. can someone give advice for my situation? a good counselor, subs even? im in NSW if that makes a difference.

Definitely a taper will help you. In the past, I would taper by having less doses per day. So, if I was taking 400mg 3 times a day, drop to twice and then once. Each day, I would enter withdrawal for a few hours and then take my dose. I think its actually important to go through a bit of w/d, its symptomatic of the body trying to recover- it feels bad, but is illusory and indicative of re-adaptation.

I think you will have great success with a counsellor. As a Victorian, I do not know where to suggest in NSW but there are always counselling services available. Can you speak to your GP for a referral?

I would advise against subs. I think this might make the problem worse. It would be preferable to stay on codeine as it is much, much easier to handle in a taper. Sub's are a last resort IMO. I mean, don't rule them out but seek alternatives is my advice. Good luck :)

Last edited:
Hey :) If I were you, I'd find myself a good pharmacist who is open-minded, and talk to them. Then just stick with that pharmacy. It is really easy to put a note in the dispensing software to say not to sell codeine to a particular patient (it'll only be visible at that pharmacy), but normally the S3 sale process doesn't involve the dispensing software, so it might not be noticed. MedsASSIST allows you to enter notes as well, but I'm not actually certain that these come up when someone else enters the license number. It's a pretty good idea though (as an opt-in system obviously) so I might actually make that suggestion. I'm really interested in finding ways for pharmacies to become more involved in harm minimisation, possibly as access points to other resources such as drug & alcohol counselling, regular counselling, drug information etc.

Edit to add: The ethics of the MedsASSIST program is tricky, because I really do understand that people want and need privacy. I also know that anyone in the midst of an addiction is likely to despise the program...I guess I wonder if people do appreciate that kind of monitoring once they're on the other side, like you do? The other thing I would hate is for OTC codeine to become unavailabe, and for everyone to just switch to using something else - what's the point of that? What I'd love to see is more resources available to people who are having a shitty time, BEFORE they get addicted to anything i.e. trying to minimise use that stems from other problems (mental health or otherwise). I feel like that might work a lot better than trying to catch people once they are using.

If I could "like" your post, I totally would! It seemed very kind and sincere. Glad there are people like you out there. :))

i can guarantee that the ids are not linked, i used my passport, and expired passport and my drivers id all on the same day, no problem

I guess this was coming sooner or later but i was hoping we had another 1-2 years. I CWE about once a fortnight and addiction hasn't been an issue for me however obviously it is for many. If the numbers in the media are correct then the pharmacies are going to take a bit hit on their bottom lines $$$. I expect a media article in a few months suggesting there has been a rise in other opiates eg. heroin due to the change.

Last edited:
yesterday i picked up a pack in parramatta area, they asked for id and i said i didnt have one, they gave me the pack anyway, and we had a bit of a chat about it. I said oh, "i dont usually carry my ID when im riding my bicycle so when does this come compulsory?" she said this is simply a trial to see if we can use this to prevent it being script only. take from that what you will, but to me that sounds like there isnt a hard date on enforcement, and enforcement is at the pharmacy discretion. Big chains are more likely to do it than smaller ones and in western sydney its much easier in general. hope that helps for anyone who needs a slower taper.

I think eventually this will end up being prescription only, limiting packs every so often isn't going to stop a few idiots downing an entire 30 pack without CWE and ending up in the ER. This actually happened to someone i knew recently.

I actually had my last pack purchase yesterday and was chatting with the pharmacist who actually looked up the guidelines as part of our convo, it is still a trail and at this stage no law has passed so pharmacies who have implemented are doing so by choice, according to who I spoke with and the guidelines decision will be made this month with law implemented in 2017 - I have made the decision to stop and going CT this week after a long taper, so I hope this helps those who need it - I think more and more pharmacies will use it but seems to small independents don't and there is currently no change.

Hey :) If I were you, I'd find myself a good pharmacist who is open-minded, and talk to them. Then just stick with that pharmacy. It is really easy to put a note in the dispensing software to say not to sell codeine to a particular patient (it'll only be visible at that pharmacy), but normally the S3 sale process doesn't involve the dispensing software, so it might not be noticed. MedsASSIST allows you to enter notes as well, but I'm not actually certain that these come up when someone else enters the license number. It's a pretty good idea though (as an opt-in system obviously) so I might actually make that suggestion. I'm really interested in finding ways for pharmacies to become more involved in harm minimisation, possibly as access points to other resources such as drug & alcohol counselling, regular counselling, drug information etc.

Edit to add: The ethics of the MedsASSIST program is tricky, because I really do understand that people want and need privacy. I also know that anyone in the midst of an addiction is likely to despise the program...I guess I wonder if people do appreciate that kind of monitoring once they're on the other side, like you do? The other thing I would hate is for OTC codeine to become unavailabe, and for everyone to just switch to using something else - what's the point of that? What I'd love to see is more resources available to people who are having a shitty time, BEFORE they get addicted to anything i.e. trying to minimise use that stems from other problems (mental health or otherwise). I feel like that might work a lot better than trying to catch people once they are using.

I am not from Australia but am a licensed pharmacist. I would be interested in hearing some of your ideas on this as where I practice we do have tools, very under utilized ones, that could make this a real possibility.

I am also curious as how strict your privacy laws are as here in the US we have HIPAA and others but peer to peer conversation or cross discipline sharing of info is not restricted everywhere. So some do feel it is necessary to share info on what they feel are problematic patients and can do so with impunity.

Well, 3 pharmacies today, 3 rejections. Not only is it embarrassing, I now have to stop cold turkey. Although I was down to 45mg a day, it's still gonna suck for a couple days...

Any supplement suggestions to ease the withdrawal. No one knows I used, so it's not like I can just explain my anxiety and restlessness ?...

MedAssist is TERRIBLE!

May I mention, these were pharmacies just out of Melbourne that NEVER asked for ID... Now, I look like a junkie to them all!!!! No matter what excuse I used, they didn't care.

Ive pretty much always had to show my ID in the area i lived in which never affected if i was sold to or not (probably just to limit the regularity of buying it), but apparently theres a new database that will be installed to prohibit regular/bulk purchasing?

^Yeah man. Read back through this topic. Program is called medassist and is invasive and annoying. But effective.

WDs are hitting hard today! ? Even one pack to taper and I'd be sweet. It's effective yes, but for those who need it, it's total bullshit.

Yeah, agreed. There are still places that are not doing this though.

Grab some loperamide or even lomotil, either might help ease your w/d. Hope you're alright dude...

Confirmed from June 1st all pharmacies will be asking and recording so those in my situation I would begin to make plans

I went to two different pharmacies today to buy some codeine and didn't have to show any ID. Thought I'd better stock up in case this system came in.

Ethno I'm surprised you're nnoticing 45 mg, usually my jump off point is around 70 mg but but then I'm overseas , being in a different environment helps more than ud expect, also get on the lope and force yourself to exercise , endorphins will ease wd, lastly if you can get some benzos for a few days

I'm gonna have to start sending people to the store on me anyone know what happens in America when you get OTC codeine (only available as cough syrup in a few states like mine). I fucking went in too many times blacked out on Xanax I'm not even going back to that pharmacy.

I don't think they have medassist in the USA ;)

Yeah but we barely have OTC codeine. In my state you just have to show ID and sign a book. Basically nobody sells it though.

It's not even pure codeine just parecetemol mixed with a small amount of codeine. Like your Tylenol in the US.
I got asked for the first time last week. Pretty annoying as I usually only use it for legitimate purposes.