Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What do pharmacists see when you purchase codeine OTC

EthnoFreak

Greenlighter
Long time no see champs.

I'm wondering, after buying a fair bit of OTC pana extras, I'm wondering, what do pharmacists see when they bring up your name!?

haha - now you're speaking my language. Currently in NZ pharmacies aren't linked via internet databases or anything for codeine OTC stuff. I used to do 6-10 pharmacies a day on my 'tour' days.

If you have had a script filled at THAT pharmacy, then your details will come up in a box - prolly not like BAM right infront of them. BUT, every codeine sale under WHATEVERNAMEYOUGIVETHEM (your name) is logged with address you gave etc.

AUS is much trickier than NZ, always has been a step ahead keeping their OTC stuff locked down.

To my knowledge there is no database that is shared between different pharmacies. So if you bought codeine from Chemist Warehouse and then from a different chain, neither pharmacy would know about your purchase from the other.

However, if you are buying codeine from a different store that is part of the same chain, then there is a good chance that they will see this on their records. It also will depend on the pharmacist. Some pharmacists are pretty chill about you regularly purchasing codiene, others will give you the third degree and may put a bar on you purchasing it from their store.

I have never been asked for ID to buy codeine. When did this come in? I bought some recently and didn't have any issues.

If there is a codeine + ibuprofen combination, go with that, ibuprofen is totally insoluble in water. If not, please consider taking a methionine supplement as it protects the liver from the toxic effects of paracetamol. Paracetamol has a phenol so Lime (or quicklime) drags it straight out of solution but then you have freebase codeine in solution which dissolves in 120x the amount of water so not very, but enough.

Look after yourselves.

If there is a codeine + ibuprofen combination, go with that, ibuprofen is totally insoluble in water. If not, please consider taking a methionine supplement as it protects the liver from the toxic effects of paracetamol. Paracetamol has a phenol so Lime (or quicklime) drags it straight out of solution but then you have freebase codeine in solution which dissolves in 120x the amount of water so not very, but enough.

Look after yourselves.

Phase always told us to dry and weigh the Ibu and fillers and binders afterwards to ascertain just how much Ibu was getting through. He insinuated that there was a real risk there.

No one ever did it though even though he asked for five years.

Well, I invite you to research the solubility of ibuprofen. There is no risk. I wouldn't post HR information I wasn't 100% certain of. Ibuprofen lysine is a different story, but with 2 pint glasses (to decant of hazy layer i.e. 85% of pint), hot (to dissolve) and cold (to make it drinkable) you can happily extract down to the last few mg. The slight haze is corn-starch (binder) and the scum on top is the wax used to make the tablets shiny. You can warm the then-extracted solution and dissolve a second... 3rd..... Well, 10 boxes certainly.

Be warned though, the sudden withdrawal from a 600mg/day habit may sound like nothing, but it's worse than a 3-bag a day H habit (if your H is like UK H i.e. cut to f**k). I've had friends rattling while swearing that Neurofen+ won't help, only to see them pinned 1 hour later.

I don't know phase, but would like to hear his reasoning - ALL knowledge is good.

For those too lazy, jut eat 32 tablets and note that apart from a stomach ache, your OK. Ibuprofen is REALLY safe compared to paracetamol. It's criminal that they can even sell it without 200mg of methionine in each pill - Big Pharma, they don't give a shit about us.

PS Greetings from the land of fog - please send more people, we need a nation with the genius to invent the Tim-Tam Bong!

^ please don't eat 32 tablets of otc painkillers.
Ibuprofen is very bad for your stomach (in large doses or taken with an empty stomach) and paracetomol is toxic in high doses, and will cause liver failure.
We already have a Cold Water Extraction Megathread if you want to keep discussing this stuff - it's all been covered and debated in there. I cant compare kicking a codeine habit to that of heroin, but smack Australia is different to UK brown, and is generally much more pure as far as i know.
Having said that, codeine addiction is nothing to be taken for granted either.

I'm sorry my irony was lost. It's been covered and debated but nobody knew ibuprofen is utterly insoluble in water weren't mentioned... OK, 21mg/l but that places it in the 'insoluble' bracket.

My daughter is a Pharmacist and she tells me that the databases are not linked to different stores but they are trying to change that.
She also said that they have a list of customers names who regularly purchase codeine products on the wall and will not sell to them if they have purchased recently.
Pharmacists are not stupid, they can spot you as soon as you walk in the door and have bets between themselves to see who's going to buy what.

The only thing they're worried about is you damaging your health or worse. :(

Just to add...
It's only info about Pseudoephedrine purchases which are held in the database, this info is kept for 2 years.

Last edited:
Whereabouts in Australia are you guys that have a database to buy codeine? I have never heard of this.

Yeh there is certainly profiling going on. Im a non competitive bodybuilder with under 10% bodyfat and great skin, and have basically been rorting the system for the past 3 yrs, attending the same circle of pharmacies intermittently. Over this time, there has been only 2 occasions they have asked for my I.D, and it has been at the same store in a rather low socioeconomic area.

I would say my visits are in the 100s, which makes me agree that these products are seen as a cash cow. Just so long as you look like an upstanding citizen, and dont look like a struggling dope fiend barely scraping through WDs, they will sell you whatever product you'd like. Being well spoken and friendly helps too.

Im a bit worried though, that when i go to a doc to get a script that they might put me on even stronger painkillers, which i no i wont be able to refuse. I have actually used this as an excuse to the pharmacist when queried about my usage, saying I dont want to deal with stronger painkillers as these OTC products are perfect. The codeine alleviates a lot of my physical/mental symptoms of fatigue, overtraining and muscle soreness, without really experiencing drastic WDs when i have breaks. Cannabis and codeine WD together is rather horrible though.

Does anyone have experience going to a GP, regarding work/sport related back and muscle soreness? Is the next line of treatment aside from chiro,massage, physio, Fortes and tramadol? Or have people been prescribed Endone or stronger?

Whereabouts in Australia are you guys that have a database to buy codeine? I have never heard of this.

I have been asked for ID at Chemist Wh. in sydney . but only in one store because because the head pharmacist has issueS the rest of staff never have any drama's , i asked if this will be going script only soon and he said yes as there is to much trouble (i think big slice of business) . Every time in Qld your are asked for ID.

To smokedup , you have answered your own question.. actually you will find that the stronger medication is actually cheaper though twice as strong which does not really make sense and some doctors understand that value for money aspect when explained to them and understand and actually happy for you to take half a strong dose etc.

Thanks. I know about Project Stop and showing ID in QLD. People in this thread mentioned a database for Codeine, which I have never heard of. I have been away for a few years.

In qld where I used to live they always asked for ID for virtually all schedule 3 drugs. Here in nsw/sydney it's still rare. I've used 8 different pharmacies all in the close area and only one asks for ID. Which means you can alternate and only hit up the same pharmacy every week or so. If they ask what you're using it for, and they often don't, I have a pre-established story. Being female probably increases my chances. Looking and being dressed like I'm extremely poor, which is pretty much because I am very poor cause most of my money goes to drugs, probably decreases my chances. I like to think a lot of it is your social skills and owning your story. When I used to use a lot of codeine I musta made hundreds of purchases. Never been turned down yet. And I probably look fairly shady given I don't think I have a single item of clothing without holes in them. New clothes cost money. Money that I then can't spend on drugs. Yes I'm well aware I have a drug problem.

Does anyone know the deal with Canada and codeine?

I visit Maine from time to time and my people are an hour from the Canadian border so going to Canada would make sense if I could go to a bunch of pharmacies.

Oh btw you can get codeine otc in the states in cough syrup and that is legal. There are a few pharms that sell tablets on the low but that is a whole different story.

I really encourage you to take the time to CWE pills. APAP will fuck up your liver. If you swallow 32 pills that is like taking 32 shots of liquor to your liver so try not to die an early death due to apathy. I CWE the likes of hydrocodone just because of the sheer amount I consume.

I have done it with oxy. I dunno how effective it is but I had a bunch so I threw some in with my hydros. I make a drink with it which I use kool aid and double the packets and double the sugar.

^ yeah aussie BLers are very familiar with cold water extractions.
Got our technique down and all :)
As for canada i'm not too sure.
I have a feeling canuck otc codeine contains caffeine, which kinda fucks the "abusable" nature of the pills.
I could be wrong though.

I am ok with caffeine to some degree as I drink mad energy drinks but would a box be at a dangerous level.

I honestly have never seen a legal box of codeine so I have no clue on that.

I don't want to drive around all day and spend money to be stuck with a drug I can't enjoy.

^ found this post in this thread;
THAT is really reassuring ... I have resorted to the CWE on OTC Codine and it is barly worth my time..... it seems wrong to have to grind 20 pills to get a mild buzz and the caff makes me feel like my heart is going to explode.
If your going it keep doing that. I recomend you run it through a brita water filter, the activated charcol in it will remove alot of the caffiene, Which will give you a much nicer, less gross feeling buzz.

Sorted :)