• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Opioids Chicago dope thread

Seconds don't matter and it doesn't get hot enough. Google "autoclave" to get an idea of the temperatures needed, I don't recall off hand.

Even if it's a myth I always cook my dope for a few seconds.Maybe it's just habit but 30 + years later only one abcess and a few cotton fevers keep me a believer. I must admit though since needle xchange programs started I've been pretty anal re: new works and alcohol swabs. Only thing I cold shaked were K4's and coke.

Cooking is pretty traditional in a lot of places even a decent number of the old heads in NYC do it as part of the ritual although everybody here is at least aware you can cold shake dope and everyone I know who has had to shoot up in public bathrooms etc (i.e. all of my junkie ass friends) does exactly that. A lot use the cap of the strongest (the large one that goes over the plunger but I'm not a fan of that method, I prefer the caps and cottons you get at the exchange. But yeah, different regions, groups etc have different rituals and beliefs even about this stuff it's pretty intriguing

I don't even iv but I know cooking it is more likely to dissolve insoluble cuts. At the minimum wait for the solution to cool down. Ur not killing anything boiling the water for a few seconds, at least not at those temps at normal atmospheric presure. Not knocking ur technique, but far as teaching new heads we need to inform. I see way to many people shooting before they remove the tourniquet which leads to blown out veins because the fluid has nowhere to go.
Im actually in the midst of tapering to hop off actually. Actually someone should explain the differences between the iv high vs snorting

Last edited:
IM'ing dope just seems like a bad idea in general... prolly lasts a bit longer but I wouldn't trust it. Yes, boiling will help get rid of most bacteria (not viruses though) BUT you'd have to actually boil it - not just heat it for a bit.. Also, you're still injecting dissolvable cut into a muscle/under skin - just be careful... Also, I think most users don't bring their dope to an actual boil (at least myself and the people I use with) but rather heat it for a few seconds or till they see the first little bubbles and then stop... I've always wondered whether boiling does degrade the heroin or not...

I know one girl who didn't have any veins to IV in so she'd skin pop in her ass (not the same as IM but similar) - well eventually it caught up with and now her ass is all pock marked even with using a new rig, new cottons, sterile equipment, etc. What a waste of a nice ass...

I know about methadone - it's nasty stuff. I've been on it for a long time (about 5-6 years on and off) and it's definitely had an effect on my teeth and energy levels. I work in a corporate office so I don't have a very physically demanding job but even by like 7-8PM I'll feel tired and start dozing off on the couch. The literature at the methadone clinic says that methadone doesn't have any long term health effects, that it doesn't ruin your teeth, make your bones weaker, etc. but I really don't believe it.

I've had dope before that dissolved super easy in water (I always use bottled water) and didn't need any heat. It seems like the stuff that usually requires heat is the soupy stuff that's a pain in the ass to draw up into a rig and gets clogged all the time.

Last edited:
Seconds don't matter and it doesn't get hot enough. Google "autoclave" to get an idea of the temperatures needed, I don't recall off hand.

At least 212 degrees F - which is the temperature at which water turns into steam. I use to work for a medical waste company and the way we treated regulated medical waste (red bag waste - the stuff like syringes that is thrown into those red containers on the wall) is by autoclave which is basically a giant steam cooker. I work in the sales and contracts division but I've been to the treatment plants a few times. Anyway, to my understanding that is the process by which most medical waste companies treat red bag waste and other waste like certain drugs, chemo waste, and path waste would be incinerated.

I felt really sorry for the guys working at the plants dealing with all that stuff. They were paid peanuts and after a few years they'd get these weird medical conditions and diseases that couldn't be properly diagnosed. You couldn't pay me enough to work in those treatment plants - fuck that.

During the worst phase of my first serious addiction I had a connect who worked in such a facility and fished out all the partially used vials of morphine and stuff, including much worse like almost finished fentanyl patches partially used syringes from PCA/syringe driver systems where there was "probably" no contact with the patients blood etc. In retrospect of course I am horrified but …

I don't know what temperature you need to get to, but from personal experience, I only developed an abcess after missing a vein. I've had two on my arms the size of golf balls, which I lanced myself, and one on my calf. That one required actual surgery, not just an I&D. I had a suction tube inserted into the incision to keep it draining post-op. That one was brutal. They were giving a junkie 2mg of IV dilaudid every 6 hours and 10mg pill form oxy alternating. Those were the days, although it just kept me from detoxing, never got me high, but I digress. Anyway, you can develop an abcess from anything. It really just depends on your immune system. But talk about the worst pain and pressure you've ever felt! I'd rather have a broken bone. Not to mention the scar tissue left behind, and forget about using the vein underneath, it's done. Take every precaution, cook thoroughly, use a new rig as often as possible, clean the IV site, and if you don't get blood, don't push!!

Last edited:
lol I wont push it anymore but cooking doesnt kill anything. If the dope was mishandled or tainted, its all bad. U cant cook it to good, if u cook it to a consistency that works for u (and ur saying its clogging the rig still) imagine what its doing to ur veins when it eventually pushes through!
In fact opiates traditionally break down at relatively low temps so u are definatly losing some the longer u boil it. Some say they cant notice the difference but scientifically ur losing some, destroying the molecule.

Shit thats crazy 'lancing' it yourself Clammy but I could understand given the situation. Its like gross and fuckedd all at the same time glad u got through it though. Had me laughing at the part about the hospital giving opiates to a junkie but that shows u how bad it was then. They see all types of shit down there.

Last edited:
I performed and I&D an abscess I got from missing similarly to you. (Don't do this; I had access to a sterile surgical kit and I am medically qualified.) Right on my mainline. Baseball sized, very painful, temperature up to 102°, there is still a purple crater at the site about the size of a quarter; vein will never be usable again. This is from 6 or 7 pretty good NYC powder dope, a usual shot for me at the time.

A vast majority abscesses result from when missed veins meet unsterile conditions or tainted gear. The same shot, properly IV'd, might give "cotton fever" or worse, or the bacteria might be diluted in the bloodstream and successfully fought off by your immune system (quite depending on the overall state of your health.) On the list of worse outcomes include sepsis and endocarditis, both of which can kill you quite handily.

Overall picture is whenever your shot gets concentrated in one area of the body (missed hits, subq, IM) there is a risk of abscess which is significantly worse than the risk of complications of using the same dope intravenously. This goes for powder, tar, or any drug for that matter.

Also, unless you are tiny, more of less anorexic, regular insulin rigs long enough for IM injections even if that is your intent, most of the drug will be subq. This is probably good because an abscess there can usually be dealt with quite easily while an abscess in the fascia of the muscle may require more significant surgical intervention and again minimum a course of serious antibiotics probably in hospital by IV whereas a more superficial abscess required I&D and usually will not require antibiotics as long as it continues to drain and not spread.

But, bottom line, tar or anything else if injected should be IV ONLY in terms of harm reduction.

(Standard disclaimer — not medical advice, no professional relationship in place.)

This post is not medical or clinical advice. I make no claim to any professional credentials nor to dispense professional information online. Even if I do possess credentials personally, to which I make no claim, as I have not evaluated you in person, or performed any other clinical assessment, review of your records, overall life situation and the larger context of your problem(s), psychiatric and medical history, medication history, and many other factors that may impact your situation as described, nothing that I post here can or should be taken as professional advice and furthermore there is no professional relationship established or implied. Anything that I post here is my personal opinion and strictly for informational purposes only and before undertaking any treatments, interventions, or changes to your current treatment, it is essential that you contact your physician or other provider(s), including providing absolute and full disclosure of substance abuse and/or other sensitive issues.

Last edited:
I've had a couple instances where I missed (up to 1/4 of a 1cc) and the area would get all red, turn into a lump, and be painful when I moved my arm. However, elevating the area and standing in the shower with hot water running on it for about 10-15 minutes would usually get the swelling and pain down quite a bit. Sometimes I'd have to repeat it the next day if it didn't take care of it the first time. I'd also take 2 pills of a moderate strength antibiotic as a precaution. I haven't yet had a situation (knock on wood) after that procedure where the swelling didn't go down (usually overnight, 2 days at most) and resulting in something more serious. I wouldn't say that a hot compress and antibiotics are a total safeguard but it should at least help prevent abscesses.

Heat also helps the abcess to open/drain. If they open on their own, that's great, if not, an I&D is probably necessary and oral antibiotics typically don't work on their own, depending on the size and location. I'm getting queezy just thinking about it. So glad I don't put myself through that anymore. Especially cotton fever. Had that too many times to count. Those are horror stories of their own.

As for lancing myself, @MadeInChicago, I did what I had to do to keep myself from going to the hospital. With my leg, I had an excuse for the abcess. With the arms, there's no way to explain a "Requiem for a Dream" abcess on top of your AC vein. Then the cops come, you're in the psych ward, and nothing for pain. They healed eventually but the scarring is pretty noticeable, on top of the permanent bruised tracks.

I performed and I&D an abscess I got from missing similarly to you. (Don't do this; I had access to a sterile surgical kit and I am medically qualified.) Right on my mainline. Baseball sized, very painful, temperature up to 102°, there is still a purple crater at the site about the size of a quarter; vein will never be usable again. This is from 6 or 7 pretty good NYC powder dope, a usual shot for me at the time.

A vast majority abscesses result from when missed veins meet unsterile conditions or tainted gear. The same shot, properly IV'd, might give "cotton fever" or worse, or the bacteria might be diluted in the bloodstream and successfully fought off by your immune system (quite depending on the overall state of your health.) On the list of worse outcomes include sepsis and endocarditis, both of which can kill you quite handily.

Overall picture is whenever your shot gets concentrated in one area of the body (missed hits, subq, IM) there is a risk of abscess which is significantly worse than the risk of complications of using the same dope intravenously. This goes for powder, tar, or any drug for that matter.

Also, unless you are tiny, more of less anorexic, regular insulin rigs long enough for IM injections even if that is your intent, most of the drug will be subq. This is probably good because an abscess there can usually be dealt with quite easily while an abscess in the fascia of the muscle may require more significant surgical intervention and again minimum a course of serious antibiotics probably in hospital by IV whereas a more superficial abscess required I&D and usually will not require antibiotics as long as it continues to drain and not spread.

But, bottom line, tar or anything else if injected should be IV ONLY in terms of harm reduction.

(Standard disclaimer — not medical advice, no professional relationship in place.)

This post is not medical or clinical advice. I make no claim to any professional credentials nor to dispense professional information online. Even if I do possess credentials personally, to which I make no claim, as I have not evaluated you in person, or performed any other clinical assessment, review of your records, overall life situation and the larger context of your problem(s), psychiatric and medical history, medication history, and many other factors that may impact your situation as described, nothing that I post here can or should be taken as professional advice and furthermore there is no professional relationship established or implied. Anything that I post here is my personal opinion and strictly for informational purposes only and before undertaking any treatments, interventions, or changes to your current treatment, it is essential that you contact your physician or other provider(s), including providing absolute and full disclosure of substance abuse and/or other sensitive issues.

Excellent advice overall. Also, if you are more like me (I know it's an heroin thread but that might just apply here as well). When I was slamming D4's the beautiful piss yellow solution after filtering the extremely safe to IV pills if you have a real filter (something like the filter in a SecuriCup, I don't know if you guys have this stuff, but here, I would exchange my old needles with the sin bin and get packages, I'd usually get 4 at once to make it worth the wait at the ER triage once all pharmacies stopped giving them, I don't know what happened, it's Law that they have to be needle exchanges with the typical red white needle symbol on the door of the pharmacies, now only one in town has them...anyway, they consist of 4 vials of bacteriostatic water, 4 alcohol pads, SecuriCups, which are packaged sterile metal cups with plastic handles you gotta attach to the little metal bowl, so one can hold it when boiling their solution (when needed, definitely needed here when meth pills are the most injected drugs...makes me sick, considering the pills rarely only contain just meth, often there's a load of caffeine, pseudoephedrine, or are not as advertised...white pills with logos are meth pills here, if not white, it's mdxx or 2c-b.) with a mini-torch lighter, best way to bring the thing to a good boil and no, if you do have it boiling for 5-6 seconds (it boils intensely with mini-torch lighters) and 4 BT 27 1/2 needles, which to me is the best gauge and they don't have those annoying rubber parts close to the needles like some you can just buy from the pharmacies.

Anyway, I added all this info to say, those filters were perfectly fine for the very abuse friendly brand name Dilaudid (lactose and magnesium stearate as only inactives and a lot of it would remain away in the cottons, they would pick the crushed D4's (P4's in the US) colour, so after buying my daily Dilaudid or HMContins (those are something else, and what I'm getting to does not really apply to them)...which is doing cotton shots. Strangely it did not work when pushed heavily in a Securicup with the safety tip of a needle, at least after slamming at least 5 D4's, I knew I could get a shot out of the 5 cottons. But please don't do this EVER, with cottons the next morning even.

Cotton fever is a weird beast, and despite being called an encyclopedia about psychoactives by my friends, I once gave myself cotton fever TWICE in the same evening, so much I was desperate (had I called my guy in the middle of the night, I would have lost his business immediately, even 7 am was too early, had to wait until afternoon and then, if he was there, despite being on disability and having massive amounts of HMContins, Dilaudid, Cesamet and Ketamine cream (with nsaids, lyrica and nortryptiline), the dude didn't help himself, constantly renovating his home. Explains why his shoulders are so sore he can't even be given a friendly little punch there, without his meds that would be like curshing his arm with an anvil.

Alright, I gave my advice along with my usual trivia. Time to go to bed and hope the community mailbox has something for me in it tomorrow. I'm envious of people who managed to keep home-to-home delivery of mail when Trudeau stopped all new sites of installation to be prepared. I'm only envious of America when it comes to your mail system, mail on Saturday is amazing already. But I'm pretty pissed off at the new tariffs for packages to Canada. Buying an LP record from someone in the US is double the price since a year, my discogs activity has diminished a lot. But at the same time, I don't think I would attempt to order RC's from outside the country if in America. And I need them,as I won't ask for higher doses of benzos to my doctors.

I've love dilaudid's rush (similar to decent quality heroin and better rush than oxy's imo) - just they're soooo short acting. My favorite pills by far are the pinkish red Opana IR 10mg. I've only had them one time though - bought 30 pills which lasted me like 2 months. If I had a steady supply of opana 10 mg ir's I wouldn't even do dope anymore.

Pain pills were huge when I lived out in Florida (I'm willing to bet they still are - I lived there for about 2 years around 3-4 years ago and heroin was rather scare) and in Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky (went to college out there, this was when OC80s were still around though - after the formulate changed to 'OP 80s' or whatever much of the opiate users switched to heroin). Here they don't seem as popular - at least opiate pharmies anyway.

What kind of filters do you guys use when doing dope and how large of a filter? I usually use a cigarette filter (I cut about 1/3rd of the filter off a regular sized cigarette) as it seems to get more of the cut out as opposed to a regular cotton filter. I like to use larger filters generally and a lot of water - I don't know if it makes much of a difference but it seems to dissolve the dope better with more water and using a big cotton seems to make it easier to draw up.

I personally prefer using a really tight little cotton, I get the baggies of them from the van man. If I don't have those Ill just rip a little piece off of a qtip and roll it up tight.

Im like 4-5 days on sub and withdrawing because Im at a lower dose than I had been, due to being kicked out of treatment. Sucks balls. I fought with my gf last night and was out on the couch winding down in the dark... all of a sudden my dealer is walking in. She had called to... whatever, knowing im struggling, she was struggling. Kid sleeping. I was SO mad. I had my bro come get me. I scared dude off, though...by yelling and saying shit. Now, that is very uncharacteristic of me and he was shocked. Hence, it was effective. It was so fucking hard to leave that child behind... my heart is broken. I spent every waking moment with him. I know he misses me, too.. makes me feel so ill without him.

And my brother and I have no power! It'll be off for a month I'm guessing. Fucking blows. That's what happens when a druggie and a dude with SEVERE panic disorder/GAD/PTSD/hypochondria live together. No one has income and we suffer for it. Now, my bro works weekends but is often late or doesnt show because he has too much anxiety.Also, he pays tons of cchild support.

That was me venting... love you guys.Kinda cool that Bluelight exists because there is a certain comradery to it. ---court in an hour! Prolonging the case in hopes to lessen the sentence.

I know what you mean woa. Gotta love our little community after months of posting about stuff u cant talk to just anyone about this places grows on us . Even if it is periodically infiltrated by trolls and feds lol.

Last edited:
I've love dilaudid's rush (similar to decent quality heroin and better rush than oxy's imo) - just they're soooo short acting. My favorite pills by far are the pinkish red Opana IR 10mg. I've only had them one time though - bought 30 pills which lasted me like 2 months. If I had a steady supply of opana 10 mg ir's I wouldn't even do dope anymore.

Pain pills were huge when I lived out in Florida (I'm willing to bet they still are - I lived there for about 2 years around 3-4 years ago and heroin was rather scare) and in Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky (went to college out there, this was when OC80s were still around though - after the formulate changed to 'OP 80s' or whatever much of the opiate users switched to heroin). Here they don't seem as popular - at least opiate pharmies anyway.

What kind of filters do you guys use when doing dope and how large of a filter? I usually use a cigarette filter (I cut about 1/3rd of the filter off a regular sized cigarette) as it seems to get more of the cut out as opposed to a regular cotton filter. I like to use larger filters generally and a lot of water - I don't know if it makes much of a difference but it seems to dissolve the dope better with more water and using a big cotton seems to make it easier to draw up.

Cigarette filters are dangerous. I knew that before even I've ever IV'd something, probably when my girlfriend bought those 25 @4's (Dilaudid 4 brand name, but the only time I saw them as Abbott's back in 2008). I did a shitload of reading before going on about shooting up these. The securicups contain a very nice medium sized tube shaped tight cotton. But what's better is SteriFilts, exchanges have them sometimes, they're made to shoot up pills and even works with crack. Very ingenious, they are flat 5 cent large filters as good as (or close enough) micron filters. Only with these did I shoot up Kadians 130's and MS IR's of any strength. I would also prefer to have them for HydromorphContins too...And yeah, we don't have marketed oxymorphone in Canada, all the bang of hydromorphone but with the length of oxycodone is what i heard how slamming just one 10mg Opana IR.