• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

How do you help someone going through withdrawals?

llama112

Bluelight Crew
How do you help someone going through withdrawals, heroin withdrawals specifically? What are things that you can do to help them?

I've never experienced withdrawals at all. I don't know what it's like. But I'd like to be there so I can help a friend through it since he refuses to get professional help.

I'm not sure if there is anything that I could do to make it more bearable.

He is able to use other substances to help him not feel the withdrawals as much (benzos, ketamine, weed, some stims) although he obviously doesn't want to be using them 24/7. Just enough to get through. He doesn't have access to heroin anymore as he got rid of it ALL when he decided to quit cold turkey. (he tried slowly getting off it multiple times which didn't work)

I just want to know if there is anything I can do to help him at all besides just being there and not judging at all.

Hello there,

It's nice to hear that you are planning to see your friend through this. Your presence and support are going to make the experience far less excruciating even if all you can do is be there, not judging at all.

I have a massive amount of respect for anybody who is willing to assist with another person's detox - it's not any easy thing to watch. Seeing someone you love at their absolute lowest can be heartbreaking, and in a lot of cases people can be unpleasant (sometimes down right cruel) when they're in pain (I'm confident you're prepared for this and will be quite patient and understanding). Remind him that as low as he may feel, this is a high moment in his life - a turn-around point, and remind him that as weak as he may feel, a firm decision to quit heroin is an inspiring display of strength. As much as I may have resented hearing how proud people are of me (it's hard to hear praise when you're hating yourself), some of it always soaks in.

I would suggest sitting down with him prior to the endeavor and working out an hour-by-hour schedule for the first week. Let him sleep/rest for as long as possible (at a point this will no longer be an option), and then attempt to encourage him to adhere to that schedule as closely as possible. Obviously, his physical state will dictate how much of your schedule he'll be capable of completing, but if he forces himself to do as much as of it as he can, time will pass more readily and he'll probably feel better for it (not to mention derive a sense of accomplishment from completing menial tasks). Doing this stuff with him (excluding the hot baths, perhaps - but who knows, right?) will probably keep you from going insane as well. If you just sit on the edge of the bed while he writhes around, you'll both just be counting the seconds... tick... tick... tick.

Be as sympathetic as possible, but try and be firm enough to encourage an active recovery. You obviously don't want him to shut you out or resent your being there, but I think if you establish some ground rules prior to the detox you'll know your boundaries and what he wants you to try and enforce.

Basically, this is for him and any way he wants to do it is how you should do it, but I would present him with these suggestions - they may really help. Just having somebody who cares nearby is going to be a massive comfort, and having somebody to be accountable to may reverse potential triggers for relapse. You're doing an amazing thing, and he's not going to want to put you through it again, so he might just stay clean.

Some stuff you may already know: You may want some over the counter medications, but you'll have to figure out how cold he likes his turkey and go from there. I would suggest some Dayquil/Nyquil and some Valerian at very least and possibly some loperamide or Imodium (the lope comes with its own set of problems - it is an opioid - and some people choose to avoid it when going cold turkey). Anyhow, there is a laundry list of OTC supplements you can buy to help with a cold turkey detox which I'm sure you can find on BL (or, if you'd like, I can list for you my personal arsenal).

I found this sample schedule on howtoquitheroin.com and modified it slightly. I actually really like this schedule, though you'll obviously want to tweak it. He'll obviously feel like death, but if he can start doing the walking early on it will make a world of difference. I personally had panic attacks trying to take long walks by myself while I was sick, but if you join him it may make it easier. Anyhow, this may give you some ideas regarding how to segment the day during the detox/early recovery period, and you can subtract and add to your heart's content, but i think there is some good stuff on here (my favorite part is "sit in a hot bath and think about 'Rocky'").

6:00am - Stay in bed till 7am. Focus on making it through today.
7:00am - Get up, stretch, take Imodium (if this applies) and listen to some inspirational music. Pace the house. 10-15 minutes.
7:15am - Eat a slice of bread w/peanut butter. Take vitamins. Drink a cup of water.
7:30am - Get dressed, stretch. Then go out and take a long fast walk somewhere far. 1-2 hours.
9:30am - Come home, vomit. Then watch TV for 30 minutes.
10:00am - Take a shot of Nyquil (or DayQuil, or Benadryl) and 2 to 3 Valerian Root capsules.
10:07am - Take a hot bath. Fill up the bath tub with hot hot water and stay there for 30 minutes.
10:30am - Get dressed and get back into bed under the covers. 30 minutes. Think positive.
11:00am - Get up, stretch and listen to some music.
11:15am - Switch rooms, lie down and watch TV, browse the internet, or choose another activity.
12:00pm - Eat a slice of bread with peanut butter and drink a cup of water and/or Gatorade.
12:15pm - Get up, dress warm, take Imodium (optional) and go out for an afternoon walk to the park. 1-2 hours.
2:00pm - Come home, chill and watch more good TV or sitcoms. 30 minutes.
2:30pm - Take a shot of Nyquil (or DayQuil, or Benadryl) and 2 to 3 Valerian Root capsules.
2:45pm - Fill up the tub with hot hot water, bring in TV and stay there. 30-45 minutes.
3:30pm - Get dressed and get back into bed with a movie on in the background. 30-45 minutes.
4:15pm - Get up, stretch and listen to some music while pacing the house. 10-15 minutes.
4:30pm - Switch rooms to living room. Lie down and watch a little TV or another activity.
5:00pm - Get up, dress warm, take Imodium and go out for a long evening walk for 1 mile. 1-2 hours.
7:00pm - Come home, chill and watch more good TV, a movie or another activity.
7:30pm - Eat a slice of bread with peanut butter and drink some water and/or Gatorade.
7:45pm - Pace the house while listening to some music for 10-15 minutes.
8:00pm - Take a shot of Nyquil and 2 to 3 Valerian Root capsules.
8:05pm - Take a hot bath. Fill up the bath tub with hot hot water and stay there for 30 minutes.
8:30pm - Get dressed and get back into bed with the TV on in the background. 30-60 minutes
9:30pm - Get up, stretch, to some music and listen d pace the house. Reflect.
9:45pm - Switch rooms to living room, lie down and watch TV or choose another activity.
10:15pm - Take a hot bath. Fill up the bath tub with hot hot water and stay there for 30-45 minutes.
11:00pm - Dress warm. Get in bed. Watch an inspirational movie like Rocky.
1:00am - Take a shot of Nyquil and 2 to 3 Valerian Root capsules (or another sleep aid).
1:10am - Take a hot bath. Fill up the bath tub with hot hot water and stay there think about Rocky.
1:30am - Get up, get dressed and switch rooms to the living room. Relax, and watch TV.
2:00am - Get up, stretch, drink some water, eat some bread and pace the house for 15 minutes.
2:15am - Get back in the bed, under the covers. Watch an inspirational movie: (Seabiscut?).
4:00am - Take a hot bath. Fill up the bath tub with hot hot water and stay there for 30 minutes.
4:30am - Get up, get dressed and switch rooms to living room. Relax for 60 minutes.
5:30am - Get back in bed and under the covers.

Anyhow, no matter how you end up deciding to tackle this, you're doing a wonderful thing. So many of us wish that we had a friend like you to see us through this type of mess. Just remember, whatever happens, don't get down on yourself or get discouraged. Figure out beforehand how much pressure he wants you to lay on him and lay it on. If the train gets derailed, no big deal, hop back on... beyond that, be understanding and forgiving, and, most importantly, just 'be there, not judging at all'. Bless you and good luck.

PS: If you throw him a bone and offer him a massage, he will love you forever.

Last edited:
-set up warm showers for the person in a warm bathroom with towels ready when they get out.
-take them to interesting places or to do interesting things. Sitting around focussing on how crappy they feel is the worst thing to do.
-encourage them to eat.. if this is not an option have them slam a couple nutritional shakes each day.
-encourage them to eat a multivitamin
-help them to keep thier thoughts positive and thier eye on the prize of being free from the shackles of the drug
-remind them often that what they are experiencing is temporary and in a few days they will feel much better.
-let them know that orgasms can provide a little temporary relief
-wash thier sheets and bedding
-get them into comfortable, clean, loose fitting clothes. Dress in layers so things can easily be removed and added.
-get them up and moving and make sure they are not throwing themselves a huge pity party
-give them love and encouragement
-acknowledge what they are doing is hard and that you're proud of them for tackling it
-remind them often that they are great people
- Flip thier thoughts positive if they wander the other way

Here are some medications to consider

medications for acute opiate detox

The medications I would explore the use of for detox would be:
>Clonidine< DOSED EVER FOUR HOURS..

one of either
>NEURONTIN< >HERE< >HERE< >here<
OR >Lyrica<
OR >phenibut<

>A BENZO BUT JUST AT NIGHT<
>a nsaid<
>melatonin<
tylenol
Senokot S is a stool softener and laxative. If you do not want the laxative you can go for strait stool softenerDioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate.

(Opi Withdrawal) what is the best comfort meds for opiate w/d?

Your Personal Opiate Withdrawal Arsenal

Thanks for the responses! Well it is already a few days in. We thought the hard part was over. As well, he has gone a bit overboard on the benzos and ketamine and is occasionally blacking out. That sounds very bad when I write it.... I'm trying to stop that. He went without benzos yesterday during the day but said it was too terrible today.

Although imodium, I did not realize that was needed. Ran out today to pick some up.

He's doing a lot of listening to trance in his room. He's eating cashews and sometimes smoothies and juice. He doesn't want to eat at all. I've been trying to feed him anything and everything. At least he's getting some vitamin water and juice.

He is throwing himself a bit of a pity party. I'm honestly not sure what else to get him to do. He's good when he's listening to music but then he just slips into his depression. I'm trying to get him to come out and watch TV. And I'm staying as positive as possible for him. Not letting him see how tough it is for me since he's obviously going through a LOT more. But what can keep him busy that isn't "work"? I don't really know. He has definitely been focusing on how terrible he feels. I'm trying to distract him with things that he likes - the cat, animals, etc. I keep telling him about all these exciting things that are happening in the next few months, reminding him, but it doesn't sink in as much as I hoped. I just don't know what activities to get him to do.

I like the bath idea, massage idea, positivity, etc. And the medication stuff.... ahhh I should have asked earlier. I have phenibut (never tried it though, I'd prefer for one of us to try it under other circumstances first to ensure it's okay, you know?).

It's so tough seeing someone like this.

-let them know that orgasms can provide a little temporary relief
-wash thier sheets and bedding
heh, item 2 is definitely going to be necessary after completing item 1

I'd say he'll really be 'over the hump' at the 7 day mark. If he keeps eating benzos the rebound anxiety is going to roll over him like a boulder (and as we all know PAWS can be a bitch even without mild benzo withdrawal stacked on top).

I think phenibut is great. It's subtle, but at first I'd forget that I'd taken it and wonder why I was feeling so content a couple hours later. Lyrica and neurontin can also be helpful, and a daily rotation of the three is probably ideal to avoid tolerance. If you try the phenibut, avoid repeat dosing as tolerance builds fast and its withdrawal syndrome is pretty ugly.

oh, and I think I mentioned www.howtoquitheroin.com
It seems silly, but when I ran out of things to read in the recovery support section on bluelight, I turned to this guy's web page for encouragement. Some of his advice is a little hokey, but he's quite genuine and caring and even willing to communicate at length with anybody who wants to contact him. He's got pages and pages of stuff to read on the site, and I found his detailed back-story and some of his advice sections quite encouraging. Your friend may be able to pass a little time with that if its his type of thing. Like I said, I exhausted the support forums first before investigating that site so if he's not into online support he may not be interested.

Last edited:
LOL! He was feeling really energized at some point yesterday (coke) and decided to change all the sheets anyway. And he said he has zero sex drive :(
I believe it's been three days of benzos. I told him tomorrow he's gotta give them up throughout the day. Hmmm I should read more about phenibut and maybe try it out myself tomorrow. He does have a very important event to attend tomorrow evening. I said I could take care of it if he can't. But the problem is, there are only three of us who know about his heroin problem. And only the three of us who can take care of the event. I could go there and do it single-handedly and have his brother come chill with him if necessary. Ugggghhh. Yeah. I'll try the phenibut tomorrow to see what it's like and if he should take it.

My friend is all over the internet (he's a mod on a different drug forum actually LOL but he won't admit there about his problem... embarrassed of course). I will see if he's checked out that site. If not, I'll tell him to!

Seven days..... we can do this for another week. I've stopped all my plans this weekend so I'm basically just chilling and waiting for him to need me for anything. Gah.

He also said no to the bath and massage. And whenever I start listing off fun things that are happening in the summer or exciting things in his life, he's just like "I don't care".

He has been punching the pillow quite a bit which is better.

He says he just wants to do ANY drug. Anything to not feel normal. I'm hoping tomorrow gets better. Last time he "quit" (he did quite for a couple weeks then slowly got back into it), it took a week, so that makes sense. Thought today would be better.

Honestly thanks so much for the tips and links and everything. Not really anyone to talk to about this. At least we have two days of the weekend where he doesn't have to attempt to work and I don't have to do anything besides that event tomorrow night.

<3

Yeah, I'd suggest starting with 1.5, maybe 2 grams of the phenibut (I was always told that a good starter dose was ~3g, which worked fine for me, but I feel like that's excessive for some people). It takes 1-2 hours to feel much of anything from it which is why I mentioned forgetting I'd taken it the first couple times I tried it, but for me anyway it acts as a fairly potent anxiolytic (it's a gaba-b agonist) and seems to have a median effect somewhere between a stimulant and a benzo (sounds odd, I know). I take it daily, but I'm not really known for my brilliant ideas. It's should be safe to take it 2-3 times weekly without risking any tolerance build-up or dependency.

Anyway, don't feel discouraged just cause he's being a bummer. My mood is improving, but I still hit a trough daily where "I don't care" is my default reaction to everything. He'll probably start snapping out of it and surprise you with a little excitability (maybe in 10 minute bursts at first, but that window should expand). Keep trying.

Oh yeah, and punching stuff is great! Rage is a far superior emotion to hopelessness, depression, and anxiety. They say it's "fight or die" right?.. so anything that breaks him out of the death cycle is encouraging.

I've been trying not to do any and every drug I can get my hands on, but I understand the feeling. Lately I've grown quite fond of 20mg of vyvanse in the morning taken alongside my phenibut dose. It allows me to feel excited and motivated for 7 or 8 hours while the sun is out... I need that. I'm ever concerned, however, about buzz-chasing leading to relapse. I had a drink earlier tonight and it scared me a little.

Finally, if he's in a foul mood he might find reading through an inspirational diatribe on sobriety obnoxious, and I'll admit that the "howtoquitheroin.com" guy can be a little much, especially if I'm feeling bitter, but his story is pretty engaging so it might be worth a read...

from the frontpage:
"I started doing heroin with my father
in Brooklyn New York at the age of 15. I used to lie, cheat and steal in order to get high, every-single-day. By the age of 17, I started living a life a crime, stealing cars just to support my heroin habit. I used to sell dope, coke and crack. I used to go to jail 4-5 times a year, each and every year from the age of 17 to 21."

Apparently this guy would head out for a road trip in a stolen car, run it out of gas and ditch it, steal another car, run it out of gas and ditch it, and so on and so forth until he reached his destination. Wow.

Last edited:
Leave them alone the first 2-3 days, or either shorten your visit.
(take them some gatorade, imodium, both will help a little with symptoms)

By all means, show you care, but withdrawals can be hell, resulting in anxiety/mood swings, so don't take it personal if you find they want to be alone.

Nothing taste right, you ache, your nose runs, you sneeze constantly, watery eyes, upset stomach.

I tried 500mg of phenibut myself. I take GABA supplement daily and benzos on occasion and this seems kinda like a lighter benzo. I can see how it's addictive.

It's discouraging when he's being so depressed but I'm just living with that. I know he feels infinitely worse than me.

Exactly, he wants to do anything and everything. Unfortunately he gets panic attacks on weed (bad experience years ago where he ended up in the hospital because of a weed panic attack... not even psychedelics... so if he smokes too much, he wants a benzo). And he gets panicky on stimulants like coke. Ketamine and benzos (and the evil etizolam... sorry just my opinion on etizolam) are the DOCs right now.

Vyvanese, similar to adderall right? I thought adderall would help him a bit so he wasn't constantly redosing coke and getting that high-low-high-low all the time. I can't force him to take anything, just highly recommend things, and he doesn't seem to like any of my ideas :p

Yeah the site seems really helpful and it describes my friend exactly (like the symptoms and stuff). Gah. Just the feelings though, not the situation he was in. My friend is pretty successful. Doesn't live a "life of crime" or anything lmao. Works a normal job, just very high stress, and the heroin helped him deal with the stress and get more work done. He's not depressed or anything (in general... obviously now he is).

This morning he felt a LOT better. He finally took a shower (two days of not). Yesterday I kept asking him if he wanted a bath. He takes a shower and he's like "wow you were right, I should have done this sooner". *sigh* And he patted the cat this morning and was like "wow this is so relaxing". x_x Yes that's why I suggested it three days ago. (of course I'm not saying any of this hahah)

So glad the first few days are done. Today seems so much better.
This morning we put together a list of things that he could do if he wanted to today to keep his mind off of things. Even silly things like "watch TV show", "put up picture", "water flowers". Whatever gets his mind off of things.

I'm not taking anything personally because he basically isn't himself. I told him to come to me if he needs company, I'm just in the other room, I'll do whatever he needs. If he wants to be alone, that's fine. Whatever.

I appreciate all the support from here. Sometimes I'm just venting but that seems to need to get done.

I'm also going to make sure that he sees either a professional therapist or gets into some sort of group right after this. I think it's helpful. I can only help so much. A professional will have more experience and be able to help in a different way.

Yeah, I like to get on here and let it out. I find it's best sometimes to treat it like a sort of open blog and if somebody chimes in, all the better. Plus, sometimes touching base with someone else's problems/questions on an empathetic level can more therapeutic than finding somebody who relates to yours.

I'm glad he's feeling better though! No doubt that's in no small part thanks to you. It's only natural he's in a bad mood, but you were probably anticipating that to some degree anyhow, right? One of the worst things, I've found, is not feeling like yourself... so much of my identity got tangled up with dope I wasn't sure what was left when I gave it up (still not sure). That's enough to put you in a sore mood right there. When you're feeling like that it can be easy to forget to say "hey, you really saved my life... thank you", but he probably feels like it goes without saying and will probably never let you forget it once he gets his head straight.

That's a bummer about the weed. I have the exact same reaction. You know, I think in my case I may have burnt out my ability to cope with weed-induced anxiety while I was doing a bunch of heroin (cause I don't remember having quite as big of a problem with weed before). I wish I could smoke and be content... I think that's the plight of the heroin addict (one of the many, perhaps) - the discovery of how functional you feel while you're high makes all other states of mind seem inferior. Weed, coke, amphetamines induce panic, benzos induce coma, and sobriety makes you feel like a shriveled up, naked invalid. It seems like quitting dope can make you 10x more susceptible to a lot of those states (especially the sobriety, heh)... so I'd quit dope and get stir-crazy, need to get out of my head and resort to smoking some weed and have an instant panic attack and have to take a benzo... hell, if the wind blew the wrong way or the cat looked at me funny I'd panic and have to take a benzo. In that way I've always crutched on benzos when I tried to quit dope (except this time), and I felt like the walking dead (I could easily misplace a couple weeks on etizolam tincture... I'm surprised more people don't choke to death in their sleep on that stuff). The only cure was to do some coke/crack/amphetamines for a lift... and then some more benzos to come back down. The only way I could break out of that cycle was to do some dope, then I'd be back to square one. Hopefully your friend can avoid that pitfall... it sounds like common sense - like you'd have to be a complete moronic lush to fall into that trap - but it's probably extremely common.

Oh well... Seems like one of your main frustrations is that he has to think everything is his idea or it won't work: quitting heroin, bathing, even petting the cat... lol (and I can't believe he turned down the massage btw, that's just insane and irrational). Addicts are stubborn... I guess people are just stubborn, but I wouldn't let it make you feel like you're not contributing. You just have to bait the traps and hope he bites. It almost sounds manipulative, but shit, whatever it takes, right?

And Vyvanse is very similar to adderall. It's just all dexamphetamine and not a mix of salts. There's some slow metabolic process involved in cleaving a lysine molecule off of the dexamp before it becomes active, so it's a really long, smooth ride. I still get some anxiety from it, but at relatively low doses it's not a kick in the teeth like other uppers.

Did 500mg of the phenibut do the trick for you? I could never get much of a shift off of less than a couple grams (or it was so subtle I probably could have been just as easily duped into thinking I was feeling something with placebo). I get a nice glow from it at the proper dose... it actually took a little while for my body to adjust to it (at first I was experiencing some mild side effects like brain fog, nausea, and hot-face).

Professional help should be a great thing for him if he's willing to embrace it. I actually crave some good professional help, but it can be tough to find the right doctor/counselor/person for the job. I'm starting to get pretty frustrated myself. Hopefully you have somebody awesome in mind so it's not all left to guesswork. It's really exciting to hear that he's 'feeling a LOT better' today. Keep up the good work! You're helping him more than he lets on.

Oh yeah, and the lists... I'm glad you're trying that. Its something that I've found difficult to convince myself to do but it always feels good when I do it.

Last edited:
That's a bummer about the weed. I have the exact same reaction. You know, I think in my case I may have burnt out my ability to cope with weed-induced anxiety while I was doing a bunch of heroin (cause I don't remember having quite as big of a problem with weed before). I wish I could smoke and be content... I think that's the plight of the heroin addict (one of the many, perhaps) - the discovery of how functional you feel while you're high makes all other states of mind seem inferior. Weed, coke, amphetamines induce panic, benzos induce coma, and sobriety makes you feel like a shriveled up, naked invalid. It seems like quitting dope can make you 10x more susceptible to a lot of those states (especially the sobriety, heh)... so I'd quit dope and get stir-crazy, need to get out of my head and resort to smoking some weed and have an instant panic attack and have to take a benzo... hell, if the wind blew the wrong way or the cat looked at me funny I'd panic and have to take a benzo. In that way I've always crutched on benzos when I tried to quit dope (except this time), and I felt like the walking dead (I could easily misplace a couple weeks on etizolam tincture... I'm surprised more people don't choke to death in their sleep on that stuff). The only cure was to do some coke/crack/amphetamines for a lift... and then some more benzos to come back down. The only way I could break out of that cycle was to do some dope, then I'd be back to square one. Hopefully your friend can avoid that pitfall... it sounds like common sense - like you'd have to be a complete moronic lush to fall into that trap - but it's probably extremely common.

This exactly it! It's an unfortunate cycle. For the first few days after it's like... fine. Keep using benzos. But you can't do that forever. No benzos today.

The phenibut was great. I felt it on 500mg. My friend is quite susceptible to everything. Like he has to use less of anything to feel a high. We both took 2 x 500 mg. I'm enjoying it LOL! Also he is feeling better with it. That's what mattered. He's been able to do a bit more today. And he hasn't been hating everything which is better. He has ups and downs and is feeling more optimistic at times. Also no black-outs today. YAY!

He does keep saying thanks to me... like all the time. I know he's happy I'm around and that it would be hard for him to get through it without anyone around.

He's stubborn naturally and doesn't like to accept help and all that. I'm not a manipulative person LOL or at least I am not naturally.... but I can be. He's just starting to be more "himself" today. So amazing to see.

He made me see a therapist (about my anxiety). Well "make" is a strong word. We had an agreement and I went. I am sure I can influence him. I think a therapist is better than a group as I think he would be able to be more open with a therapist rather than in a group of people. So he won't feel embarrassed. The person I see is great but I don't think would work for his issues. But I have found some people online and I may ask my therapist if she has any recommendations.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the phenibut. You can pretty safely use it for a lift here and there if you're sure to skip a couple days in between. A couple days in a row shouldn't even pose a problem, but I wouldn't take it much further than that. Regardless, it can be great for some much needed relief.

It's great to hear that his mood/state-of-mind is steadily improving. I bet it's so rewarding for both of you to see your hard work paying off. It'll only get better from here. After another week or two you may have to remind him that just cause he's feeling good that doesn't mean he can get away with doing a little dope here and there. That's how it always starts and never how it terminates - my roommate quit the same day I did, started back chipping, and he's already back to full-blown addiction (which is driving me to my limits, but that's another story).

It sounds like you're almost over the hump. I guess you can probably continue to chill and just stand by in case he needs anything or wants some company, huh? I think it's just as important to have a good friend around for positive reinforcement during the days/weeks following the acute phase. It's easy to slip off into negative thinking when you don't have anybody around to pull you in the opposite direction.

I'm interested to see how it goes from here. You'll have to keep an eye on him, but it seems to be going great so far. awesome

Last edited:
Well, I've started enjoying phenibut. LOL. Great for hangovers. But, as with anything, I will enjoy it only weekends, so as not to get addicted. Of course, that's what my friend said about H. And then it slowly creeps into every day.

We are definitely over the hump! Today is even better. It's not over completely but the hardest part is gone. You can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
It's the workweek again so we're both back to working.

It seems like the withdrawals were like a combination of MDMA hangover + alcohol hangover + PMS (well females can relate) + the flu.... then multiply all that times 100. I just feel so bad for him but I'm also happy that it is bad so that he doesn't start again! Although that didn't work last time.

Thanks again <3

I'm really glad to hear that he's over the hump, llama. You really took care of him and hung in there yourself. Do something good for yourself (get a massage? treat yourself to something indulgent) now that you can both come up for air. I wish him the best of luck. PAWS can be a bitch after the intensity of the WDs is over. There is lots of support for that here that he could use (and you, too). We are here to see you through it.<3

Thanks! It is really good to see it all come together and sooooo much closer to the end. The other day I came down with food poisoning, the first night that he actually COULD sleep. I felt terrible ruining it but I could hardly move. It was actually kinda good though because it gave him something to do (look after me LOL). Roles reversed for a day. The sleeping is really the worst and also ensuring he's using other substances in moderation and not getting addicted to anything else.

Great link! I think we got most of them but I wish I had known about "Hylands Restful Legs" sooner LOL I would have definitely gotten that for him
:)

Yeah, RLS is the worst. It's the symptom that comes back first if I start 'chipping' (bad idea). "Hylands Restful Legs" doesn't seem to do much for me, but apparently it works for some people. Then again, I think some people just swallow as much of the stuff on that list as they can physically stomach and cross their fingers. At a point, a light dope habit might be a little easier to afford :).

Anyhow, it's an afterthought at this point (so long as he is warding off chipping demons).

This has been a very satisfying story of success (assuming it's still going well, right?).

Cheers