• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos What's the fun side of the xanax?

I read pretty often that if you take enough xanax you can have such a great time, that it is funny and so on

but frankly... nah? I have zero tolerance, so the only time I took 1mg and drank (poor decision) I had to call the night very early because I couldn't stand on my feet and crash into my car in order to sleep for a few hours before being able to slowly drive to home.

Other times I tried it I managed to find a good balance, that for me is 0.5mg + alcohol (just beer and/or wine, nothing with higher graduation): this way I can basically get drunk with minimum side effects the next day. BUT I used to forget things, almost whole nights. So I decided to use the xanax only for my anxiety problems.

So I am curious: what's the fun of the xanax? I can't get it. I guess it's just me, but I'd like to know anyway, I feel like someone who is been locked out the party :\

If you can't find the fun in Xanax it might be best you don't bother taking it ;)

In my opinion i dont find it euphoric directly on my brain like MDMA, Weed, Opiate, Adderall etc are.
I find it more relieving. And in turn that creates an indirect sort of serenity. Which i guess some would consider euphoria. This euphoria i speak of is more pronounced if you are in a stressful situation or state of mind. Kind of.

Its just nice to have during stressful times in your like. Or if you have a mental "illness" such as anxiety. You can take them to mask the problem i guess. Mask it but many like it and it seems effective. Unfortuntley they do serious damage to your brain :(
Ive never understood those who take them recreationally.
Maybe a light dose with some weed or opiates but aside from that. And that combination isn't even a must. I could die without doing it lol. Some other drugs not so much like weed or opiates. or psychedelics. wow dude.

Xanax i know alot more people like though for a few reasons i think.
Partly theres a marketing hype behind it . Even in movies characters are offering xanax before a flight or something. Rappers rap about the "bars" aka the xanax bars containing usually 2mg. Usually this is in the states.
Its also great for panic attacks and it kicks in fast and doesnt have a long half life like some benzos like clonazepam.
Its also rare i guess compared to most benzos. In places without healthcare corruption to serious points (so not the USA) doctors refrain from prescribing xanax because its one of the most addictive benzos in theory because of its short half life. The user would want to keep redosing. So instead they put them on something like Clonazepam or Lorazepam.... In my opinion they're all bad and you should only use them if your anxiety and stress is so bad to the point where nothing else has worked and the negatives of benzos still dont outweigh the positives for you.

Last edited:
If you've ever suffered from crippling panic attacks, then you will know the lovely relief of a benzo dose and how therapeutic it can be if you have a severe anxiety disorder.

Otherwise, I didn't even know what this shit was before my nice little mental breakdown / psychotic break.

It's "fun" to be anxiety free and act like a normal, rational human being, as opposed to being a suicidal freak and feeling like you are perpetually having a heart attack.

I think personally they only have merit if you suffer from life-ruining, extreme, crippling, unbearable anxiety that makes you want to kill yourself and no other medication or therapy helps whatsoever. That type of anxiety, the anxiety so bad that it is impossible to comprehend unless you have been there. If you don't have this problem, there are other drugs to do and the recreational addicts are just fucking people over who actually need these meds to function by making it way harder to acquire them, which totally sucks for those with these types of problems. To me it is akin to using an opiate if you don't have chronic back pain or a severe acute injury - doesn't really make any sense and it's fucking people over who have horrible problems and need the drugs as much as food and water. I guess that's a controversial topic, but it's just my opinion. Most of the people who actually require the medication don't abuse it, since that it just stupid as it leads to a tolerance. It's the pleasure-seeking high people who get addicted as fuck and give these therapeutic drugs a horrible reputation. Again, just my opinion - I really wish the system would change making these and all other drugs more easily accessible. I mean, they have a poison store that specializes in marketing a nice solvent that destroys your liver and brain and can get you downright wasted to the point of blacking out taking days to recover and has no therapeutic benefit whatsoever so why the fuck not?

Last edited:
The rapid and extremely-effective anxiolytic effects (and an occasional drunk feeling)

If you don't struggle with anxiety in everyday life, then you probably won't get much out of them... unless you mix them with other drugs [which I advise against unless you truly know what you're doing].

are you of a nervous disposition? often this 'high' people describe is the sudden recession of all their neuroses and anxieties, not so much euphoria, more akin to relief.

^^ This. Benzos have never done anything euphoric for me, unless I consider taking away my anxiety euphoric, (which I do sometimes lol). It just depends. I've seen many people say that Tramadol isn't recreational, but I have gotten just as much pleasure out of it as I have Oxy. Who knows man? Just gotta do it and see how ya feel, I guess. Just make sure you stay within a dose you can tolerate is the only thing to worry about. Hope you feel better.

I do have to say that one of the most euphoric experiences I've ever had was being in benzo withdrawal (like 10mg Xanax daily, minimum), and opioid withdrawal while waiting to be transported to an inpatient facility after a suicide attempt, getting on the unit, and letting that first 2mg dose of Xanax dissolve under my tongue. Within 10 minutes, tingles running down my spine, one of the greatest sensations of relief I've ever had. That detox was so rough though, I was having wet dreams during the 20 minute exhaustion naps I was getting...and I didn't even have those going through puberty lmfao

being in benzo withdrawal (like 10mg Xanax daily, minimum), and opioid withdrawal while waiting to be transported to an inpatient facility..I was having wet dreams during the 20 minute exhaustion naps I was getting...and I didn't even have those going through puberty lmfao

I too went through benzo and opiate w/d at the same time, but did so at home.
Wet dreams every night, the dreams weren't even of intercouse most of the time.
I would just wake up as i blew a load in my shorts. Awkward and embarrassing.
Thank (higher power) it is over and done with.
My mind may never be the same though.
Twisted and can't unwind.. im tense all day every day and have extreme back and hip pain from a real problem.
WILL NOT TAKE OPIATES EVER. Benzos, i am back to, though they help very little as I take very little, with long breaks to avoid dependence.

Words from all the wise:
Have your fun in life, try to achieve a natural high through love and friends and "good ole times" to look back on although most times involve spending $$ but not on drugs.
If you do drugs for your enjoyment, you will pay $$ for them. Even if they are free of charge.
When you stop with them, that is when you pay your price.
You NEED to PAY to PLAY monetarily, mentally and physically.

OP do you're drugs.
Have fun but be safe.
Remember, to pay to play.

i have bad anxiety at times and i dont find anything enjoyable about taking xanax or any other benzo..i take them for anxiety like i would take aspirin for a headache, purely for medicinal purposes..i have never understood how or why people take benzos for recreational purposes..if anything, they dull me out and make me have less fun tbh..

It took me a while to get into benzos at first because I didn't know what to look for, with zero tolerence especially with something like xanax I would feel like 0.5mg would be a brick to the head as opposed to the wonderful world of opiates, weed, even coke or mdma. Benzos I had to learn what to look for and many times on 1mg lorazepam I would go blank and forget the most not remebering anything so it was really the opposite of fun.

What eventually drew me into benzos being big into opioids at the time when 80mg oxy was $6.00 '04-05', was when running out of opioids my mom had alprazolam 0.25mg and lorazepam 0.5mg which I would take from her when I would only have say half my normal dose instead of 40mg oxy I'd take 20mg and 1mg lorazepam or 0.5mg alprazolam with it or an hour after it and even then as soon as I'd take the benzo my experience would go to shit....all the clarity would be gone, the creative thinking gone, I would litterally watch something to nod out to and when I'd look at the watch again it would be 2-3hrs gone and wondering why my buzz was over. No fun....that is untill I had the chance to try clonazepam.

Clonazepam is what drew me in and even clonazepam by itself was a nice treat but I got into it heavily when using it at the *end* of my opioid buzz....that would send me almost back to nodding with an awsome clarity in a 0.5mg clonazepam dose.

I think if my introduction to benzos started with bromazepam, clonazepam, temazepam or nitrazepam than I would have gotten to like them a lot, a lot more a lot quicker but i suppose it was for the better this way.

Short lasting benzos with zero tolernece do not go well in the sense they are not fun, as the OP pointed out and as my experience has been as well.

Long lasting benzos are much more euphoric and of value to the beginner. Try: clonazepam, bromazepam, temazepam, nitrazepam or diazepam. The short acting benzos cause too much amnesia and 'heavyness of body', while the long acting are much more enjoyable and managable, not like someone took a brick to your head aka xanax style.

As a beginner you want either long lasting benzos or hypnotics since they are the best most comfortable to get into. My very very first benzo was 30mg of temazepam, also with zero benzo tolerence and it felt just like taken a 5mg percocet/oxy. Temazepam would be impossible not to like! 2nd most similar to temazepam is nitrazepam and 2nd most similar to clonazepam is bromazepam...I actually like bromazepam more. Temazepam is king in my opinion still!

P.S. I should point out that from day 1 with zero tolerence to just 3-4 years ago when my tolerence really skyrocketed (4mg clonazepam a day since 04), every time I had lorazepam I had psychedelic hallucinations from it. Without weed however with weed it was very intense and very noticable and the reason I say psychedelic is because the headspace it would give me had the exact profile of thinking as one would on shrooms or LSD just slightly overtaken by the sedative part or at least easily ignored but very evident hallucinations. Once when I had zero tolerence to both weed and lorazepam I took 2.5mg-3mg lorazepam and smoked weed after 1hr which propelled me into the most psychedelic experience without taking psychedelics...I was on my bike swerving from a truck that did not exist, also was on the front step of a building throwing my guts up while a cop passed to walk in and apparently I talked to to the cop for a bit and proceeded to throw up (the guys that smoked me up were across the street watching me and laughing their ass off).

It's not really euphoric, but is GREAT if you suffer from anxiety. All they do is calm you down(Xanax is my fav benzo or klonopin, depends on my mood). If you do not suffer from anxeity then they will not do much honesetly, maybe calm you down a little and make you sleep. Xanax also gets alot of hype with rappers as someone said, so their are dumbasses who take a bunch and either just go to sleep or make a fool of themselves in a blackout. BUT xanax and all other benzo's are a godsend from people who suffer from anxeity, I don't care what benzo it is, if I am REALLY anxious, their is euphoria from all that tension going away and just being able to think straight and not feel like I'm jumping out of my skin while my head is racing with all these different thoughts/worries.

I love my GABA-ergic sedatives. Soma, GHB, diazepam and temazepam all feel far more euphoric than opiates, methamphetamine or cocaine to me. Soma is the most euphoric non-psychedelic drug I have ever taken.

That said, Xanax is the most overrated drug I have ever taken... I don't see any recreational value in it. The first time I took it, I ate a 2mg bar. After reading about how fast it kicks in and how 2mg alprazolam is supposedly equivalent to 40mg Valium; I was actually worried it would knock me on my ass. I was sorely disappointed. It certainly didn't kick in any faster than Valium (10-15 minutes) and I have absolutely no idea what the fuck these benzo equivalency charts are supposed to mean. 2mg Xanax doesn't even come close to 20mg Valium let alone 40... it feels more like 10mg to me (15 MAX) but with less muscle relaxation and sedation.
I have had Xanax many times and its effects are so bland and subtle that it's only enjoyable as part of a drug cocktail. It's basically just a pure anxiolytic wth some minor sedation. I personally think Valium is a much more effective anxiolytic.

I'd even go so far as to say Xanax is pointless. If you want a fast-acting anxiolytic that's not too sedating or wobbly then I would recommend GHB instead. It does everything Xanax does but better, plus it's actually euphoric.
It's pretty old-school and it gets a bad rap but it's highly effective and extremely safe if you just use a bit of common sense. I'm pretty sure GHB has a lower dependence liability than Xanax (I was fucking around with GHB way more often than I would dare to do with benzos).

I don't find benzos really 'fun' per say. It's just the relief they give to all the anxities, be they general or social I have that feels so good. But the mind is silly and it thinks it can somehow "up" this feeling of relief by taking more benzos, it doesn't really work that way past a certain point. If I have no anxiety or stress and take a benzo, they're usually actually the opposite of fun. They dull my senses and thinking, making me feel dumber and not being able to indulge in intellectual pleasures as much anymore. They take the edge off things, both good and bad things. You generally only want the other I would think.

Exactly how I feel about xanax & benzos......

I won't touch xanax anymore, for me at least it s vicious compared to Valium.

I only take 2.5mgs of Valium mixed with 20mgs of vicidin when I'm out of soma......

Nothing like .5mg of xanax when you are nervous about getting a procedure done at the doctors or dentist office.

I prefer soma for muscle relaxer, & Valium over any other benzo.

IMO, the fun side of xanax or any other benzo is it gives you relief from the hundreds of thoughts going thru your mind at night keeping you awake all night, & not being able to shut down mentally.

When I can't sleep at night because my mind is spinning, some Valium is nice, & within 15 minutes, I'm asleep.

But don't make this an every day/night thing......addiction to benzos is a scary thing.